moderated JAWS 2018 and Wikipedia

I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate, but I am not seeing the original I thought I'd sent in the archive.

I have a new client who has JAWS 2018 and wants to use wikipedia.  Given that many wikipedia pages have an absolutely huge number of click-through links embedded in the text, they do not read well in that native form, as you are constantly having the flow of the material interrupted by "Link" before the actual text.  Is there an easy way to make JAWS ignore click-though links while reading a wikipedia page until or unless you want it to announce them?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

         ~ Mark Twain

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Brian. I don’t know any easy way to turn off announcing of links in JAWS. Even turning off attributes doesn’t turn off this announcement.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate, but I am not seeing the original I thought I'd sent in the archive.

I have a new client who has JAWS 2018 and wants to use wikipedia.  Given that many wikipedia pages have an absolutely huge number of click-through links embedded in the text, they do not read well in that native form, as you are constantly having the flow of the material interrupted by "Link" before the actual text.  Is there an easy way to make JAWS ignore click-though links while reading a wikipedia page until or unless you want it to announce them?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

         ~ Mark Twain

John Covici

What if you use the reader mode in firefox or chrome? Would not that
do what you want?

On Wed, 23 May 2018 21:28:57 -0400,
Bill White wrote:

Hi, Brian. I don’t know any easy way to turn off announcing of links in JAWS. Even turning off attributes doesn’t turn off this announcement.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate, but I am not seeing the original I thought I'd sent in the archive.

I have a new client who has JAWS 2018 and wants to use wikipedia. Given that many wikipedia pages have an absolutely huge number of click-through links embedded in the text, they do not read well in that native form, as you are
constantly having the flow of the material interrupted by "Link" before the actual text. Is there an easy way to make JAWS ignore click-though links while reading a wikipedia page until or unless you want it to announce them?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the
earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, John. I think in Reader Mode, JAWS still says Link.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

[...]

Steve Griffiths

Hi Brian,

I don't know if you can do this if you want to arrow through a page, but you can do it for the SayAll command; search for Scheme in the Quick Settings dialogue (JAWSKey + V) and set it to SayAll Text Only.

Thanks,

Steve 🐾

Hi, Brian. I don’t know any easy way to turn off announcing of links in JAWS. Even turning off attributes doesn’t turn off this announcement.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate, but I am not seeing the original I thought I'd sent in the archive.

I have a new client who has JAWS 2018 and wants to use wikipedia.  Given that many wikipedia pages have an absolutely huge number of click-through links embedded in the text, they do not read well in that native form, as you are constantly having the flow of the material interrupted by "Link" before the actual text.  Is there an easy way to make JAWS ignore click-though links while reading a wikipedia page until or unless you want it to announce them?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

         ~ Mark Twain

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#59791) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

--
JFW related links:
JFW List instructions:

Change Your Subscription
Group Home
Contact Group Owner
Terms Of Service
Unsubscribe From This Group

_._,_._,

This email and any attachment to it are confidential. Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose either the message or any information contained in the message.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this email and notify the sender immediately.
Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender only, unless otherwise stated.
All emails, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded by Guide Dogs and monitored for legitimate business purposes.
Guide Dogs exclude all liability for any loss or damage arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email to the fullest extent permitted by law.

Tel: 0118 983 5555
Email: guidedogs@...
Website: https://www.guidedogs.org.uk
Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG.
A company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales (209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Steve,

            Thanks very much.  Even if it's only for Say All that's really the only circumstance I'm concerned about since you can start and stop Say All at will.

             I figured there had to be some way to do this, as there are many pages, including many newspapers, where if all you wanted to do was get a read through of an article as though you were reading the actual newspaper you'd want to turn link announcements off during that reading.

         ~ Mark Twain

James Malone

Hi Brian,

This might be a long shot, but would flexable web work in this instants?

            Thanks very much.  Even if it's only for Say All that's really the only circumstance I'm concerned about since you can start and stop Say All at will.

             I figured there had to be some way to do this, as there are many pages, including many newspapers, where if all you wanted to do was get a read through of an article as though you were reading the actual newspaper you'd want to turn link announcements off during that reading.

         ~ Mark Twain

James, the "flexible web" feature is something I have never heard of and have no familiarity with.

         ~ Mark Twain

Cristóbal

My scheme is “say all with sounds”. Instead of the word “link” being announced for every link, there’s a slight and unobtrusive click noise indicating that a link is present.

My only complain about this particular scheme is that there’s no differentiating sound for visited links. Otherwise, it works for me.

TO quickly switch between schemes, I use the Jaws command alt plus insert plus S to bring up the associated combo box. I know you can go into the Jaws settings to really dig deep into schemes, but bleh.

            Thanks very much.  Even if it's only for Say All that's really the only circumstance I'm concerned about since you can start and stop Say All at will.

             I figured there had to be some way to do this, as there are many pages, including many newspapers, where if all you wanted to do was get a read through of an article as though you were reading the actual newspaper you'd want to turn link announcements off during that reading.

         ~ Mark Twain

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I can’t remember when it was introduced, probably in Jaws 16 or so, if you go back through the list of FS Casts you’ll find one which goes over it and of course there is documentation in the Jaws help topics.

James, the "flexible web" feature is something I have never heard of and have no familiarity with.

         ~ Mark Twain

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I think the answer here are reader modes such as are available on iOS or in the Edge browser and also with extensions like “Just Read” in Chrome. I assume Firefox mahy have them as well. These are supposed to just present the text of an article without any interruptive links and other stuff.

            Thanks very much.  Even if it's only for Say All that's really the only circumstance I'm concerned about since you can start and stop Say All at will.

             I figured there had to be some way to do this, as there are many pages, including many newspapers, where if all you wanted to do was get a read through of an article as though you were reading the actual newspaper you'd want to turn link announcements off during that reading.

         ~ Mark Twain

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, James. I don’t think Flexible Web would work in this instance. Flexible Web is for telling JAWS which sections of a web page to display. It doesn’t change which elements of that page will be announced, or how they are to be announced.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

This might be a long shot, but would flexable web work in this instants?

            Thanks very much.  Even if it's only for Say All that's really the only circumstance I'm concerned about since you can start and stop Say All at will.

             I figured there had to be some way to do this, as there are many pages, including many newspapers, where if all you wanted to do was get a read through of an article as though you were reading the actual newspaper you'd want to turn link announcements off during that reading.

         ~ Mark Twain

Douglas C. DeCamp

The web-rent-a-crowd scheme will acomphlish  the desired result here if you don’t mind the various voices it uses for headings & links.  I personally have always preferred this sound scheme and have used it for years.

  • Hth ---

Hi, James. I don’t think Flexible Web would work in this instance. Flexible Web is for telling JAWS which sections of a web page to display. It doesn’t change which elements of that page will be announced, or how they are to be announced.

This might be a long shot, but would flexable web work in this instants?

            Thanks very much.  Even if it's only for Say All that's really the only circumstance I'm concerned about since you can start and stop Say All at will.

             I figured there had to be some way to do this, as there are many pages, including many newspapers, where if all you wanted to do was get a read through of an article as though you were reading the actual newspaper you'd want to turn link announcements off during that reading.

         ~ Mark Twain

Thank you to everyone who has replied, and may be yet to reply, for giving a range of options to address this issue.

I certainly wouldn't have known about any of them otherwise.

         ~ Mark Twain

CathyAnne Murtha <cathy@...>

You can do this using the “Say All” Scheme of the JAWS for Windows Quick Settings.

  1. Open the browser and focus on the page  you’d like to read
  2. Open JAWS for Windows Quick Settings (JAWS KEY-V)
  3. In the search-edit field, input ”Scheme” without the quotes. This searches for the “Say All” scheme
  4. Within the search results, focus on the first “Scheme” result. This is the Scheme for “Say All”
  5. Rotor among the options with SPACEBAR. You want to focus on “Say All Text Only”
  6. Navigate to the OK button and activate it to save the changes

You can now read the web page without link notifications.

Return to the standard link echo by repeating the steps above but select “No Change.”

CathyAnne

CathyAnne Murtha

Access Technology Institute, LLC

cathy@...

www.blind.training

(520) 300-7859

Thank you to everyone who has replied, and may be yet to reply, for giving a range of options to address this issue.

I certainly wouldn't have known about any of them otherwise.

         ~ Mark Twain

Thanks CathyAnne.

         ~ Mark Twain

James Malone

Found it on the training book for Jaws. It became popular after Jaws 10.