Topics

moderated Braille Translation Errors

John Gurd

I got really excited when I read Jaws has the new LIBLOUIS available. Sadly, the strrange translation issues I  was hoping would be fixed relating to UEB English are still there. And there are two in UK English grade 2. It makes me wonder why noone else appears to be picking them up? Does everyone else input in Computer Braille? I really would like to know if this is the case as maybe I should learn to do that too because these errors are quite big and long-standing.

So the word ‘first’ comes out as first's  if you use the contraction f and st sign. The word it’s comes out as x’s if you use the letter x with apostrophe s.

In UK English grade 2 anything with a double L comes out with the word little in it. So ball becomes balittle and so on. Strangely the word ‘first’ translates fine but the word ‘it’s’ has the same error.  I would really like to hear if anyone experiences this? It only happens if contracted input is used so if everyone is using computer Braille for input and UEB or UK English for display they will not see it.

Thanks.

John

Bill Tessore

John, are you using a refreshable braille display, or an ElBraille? Or are
 You reading something written by someone using one of these? Shalom,
Bill tessore

On May 23, 2018, at 1:27 PM, John Gurd via Groups.Io <j.gurd@...> wrote:

[...]

It occurs in my ElBraille and using a Focus 40 with my PC. I know of another person with the same issues. Someone who works with the Liblious project confirmed there was an issue some months ago with 3.3. but I was hoping it would be fixed in Liblious 3.5.0. I just wonder why it doesn’t come up: are people finding work-arounds or just not using UEB grade 2 as an input method. Maybe no one is experiencing it. I’d like to know.

John

John

John

[...]

Sorry to hear this John. And I am sorry to have to say I don’t know, because I am not a Focus refresh a bowl braille display or El Braille User. However, perhaps the focus 40 generation  5 will resolve that problem. Of course, if you are using a focus 14, then I guess that unless Freedom Scientific comes out with a corresponding version of the 14 cell refreshable braille device, then that   won’t help either. Shalom,

Bill Tessore

On May 23, 2018, at 3:10 PM, John Gurd via Groups.Io <j.gurd@...> wrote:

[...]

Terrie Terlau

Hi John,

Sorry if I missed this, but are you using the Focus 40 or another braille display and inputting text in UEB or Grade 2 English braille and the problem is with the back translation?

I used to input Grade 2 braille on a Focus 40 with no problem, but this was several years ago. Please let us know what display you are using. These  are really bad errors and should not occur. I hope you get a positive response from VFO. (hope that’s the correct name of the company that bought Freedom Scientific).

Best,

Terrie Terlau

[...]

If it is what I think it is it will affect any braille device that uses the Liblious 3.3  and 3.5 Braille translation tables which are open source. I don’t think it is the hardware as such, although I could be wrong, I think it is VFO’s decision to use the Liblious translation table in Jaws. In theory it was a good decision as long as the tables are correctly implemented. It affects the Focus displays but should affect others that use this open source table.

John

[...]

That’s correct, Focus 14 in the ElBraille and Focuss 40 with PC 4th gen with latest firmware both running JFW 2018 latest versions. Yes, the issue seems to be the back-translation. If anyone can help verify this using English Grade two UEB and/or UK English it would be a  big help.

[...]

Actually, you will not see this if you read ordinary text translated into English UEB OR UK English, it only occurs when inputting your own Braille using UEB and English UK grade 2 using Jaws and the Focus 40 or 14. I don’t know about the 80 but I should imagine it is the same.

John

[...]

Hi all,

I will report this to Liblouis people tonight, as I was able to confirm these on another screen reader with a different braille device.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Hi John and others,

A GitHub issue on Liblouis back-translation has been filed on your behalf:

https://github.com/liblouis/liblouis/issues/572

Cheers,

Jsoeph

[...]

Thanks so much. I didn’t know how to progress it.

John

[...]

Hi Joseph

I looked at your link. The only addition I would suggest is that the it’s – X’s issue also happens with UK English grade 2.

John

[...]

Randy Meyer

John:

I am seeing the first two errors on my ElBraille you mentioned with first and it’s.  I am not experiencing the problem with little when I type words like ball.

This reminds me of the problem that existed with words that contained dg, like budget.  The dg showed up as degrees.

I believe the work around I used when typing budget was to press chord-t to make the next word grade 1 Braille.  I would then simply type budget.  It seems to work with the words you mentioned.  Although, I think you could just type these problem words without contractions and that would work.

I will let you know if I find out anything different as I use my ElBraille on a regular basis.

Randy Meyer

[...]

You are correct, this is not a hardware problem.  The Braille translation tables will need to be updated, which is not directly in the control of VFO.

I experienced a similar error that was eventually corrected, and I am experiencing the first two errors you mentioned, but not the error with little.

Randy Meyer

[...]

Thanks Randy

You will only see the ‘little’ error if you switch to UK English grade 2 – which, of course, in the US would be silly. J