Solution found to the new line announcement problem (was) Further to the virtical tab discussion

Kimber Gardner

I called FS with my new line announcement dilemma. At first the guy
said, "nothing you can do. you are stuck with it."

But then he gave it a little thought and came up with a solution using
speech and sound schemes. Since the problem is present only in word,
we modified the word classic scheme to silence the speak new line
announcement, replacing the text with a space. It works beautifully
and if I can reproduce the steps, I will be happy to share them if
anyone is interested.

Kimber

On 6/2/16, Bill White <billwhite92701@dslextreme.com> wrote:
Hi, Kimber. Try entering these two entries into the dictionary. \013 and
\010. These are for the linefeed and carriage return respectively, and these

are the ASCII symbols which signal a new line.

I hope this helps you.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

--
Kimberly

signature database 13585 (20160602) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 13585 (20160602) __________

http://www.eset.com

Kimber,

            I understand what you're saying, and what you're doing, what I don't understand is what JAWS is doing and why.  Even with all hidden text formatting shown, there is no "new line" in flowed text when it wraps to a new line in a word document.  Generally the last character on each line where the next line flows is the space that separates the last word on the line above from the one that starts the next visible line.  There is no logical reason for JAWS to announce New Line at all and it had not been doing so in any of the JAWS releases I've worked with, starting at either 11 or 13, if memory serves.  The last several years I've had clients primarily with 15 or 16 with some upgrading to 17 recently.

           Since the whole point of how a word processor works is to flow text and so that new lines aren't actually accomplished by a character insertion it seems utterly bizarre that JAWS is announcing this.  Since there is no real new line character, and the introduction of just a character or more could potentially cause a whole document to be "reflowed" this seems particularly bad behavior.  Paragraph markers, though, are generated by hitting the Enter key and exist as entities so it makes sense for those to be announced when you're using the visible formatting setting.

           Another poster is getting ready to rattle the cage of Freedom Scientific Technical Support on this, since the behavior is very recently introduced and multiple people are having it occur that don't want and never wanted for it to occur.

--
Brian

         ~ William James

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Yall amaze me how you can find the ASCII needed. Is there a place in the computer that shows the ASCII characters? Just curious.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Please do share if you reproduce them. I have never had JAWS announce "new line" with normally "flowed" text in MS-Word up through Word 2013. Of course, I've never heard JAWS announce a Vertical Tab, either, and have been working with JAWS for a long time now.

These behaviors seem recent, and appear to possibly be linked to changes in how Word is working and/or how JAWS is working with it.
--
Brian

~ William James

Ann Byrne

Is this the line marker that JAWS reads whether Word has it marked or not?

Go to settings center
text processing
indicate new lines when (closed)

To turn off reading of space marker/paragraph marker in Word, press alt-h, then 8.

At 11:46 AM 6/2/2016, you wrote:
[...]

Oops. I missed a step.

Text processing
general
then the new line thing.

At 11:46 AM 6/2/2016, you wrote:
[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Carolyn. If you are talking about the ASCII value of a character which is under your cursor, and you are using JAWS, you can find out its ASCII value. If you are using Laptop Keyboard Layout, press CAPSLOCK plus the comma key three times rapidly. If you are on the period at the end of this sentence, it will say fourty six. This is the ASCII value of the period character. If you are using Desktop Keyboard layout, you would press the number five on the number pad of your keyboard. This is not the numbers row above the letters.

If you are asking where to get the ASCII value of all characters, there are several websites which can be accessed which will give a table of ASCII values corresponding with each character. Many of these tables also include the hexidecimal values as well. They can be kind of confusing unless you know the ASCII values of some characters already. For example, the ASCII value of the space character is 32, so when you see the table, you can see where in the list the ASCII values are given. The link to the ASCII table I use is below.

http://www.ascii-code.com/

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13588 (20160602) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13588 (20160602) __________

http://www.eset.com

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi again, Carolyn. I wasn't clear about how to get the ASCII value of a character which is under the cursor with Desktop keyboard layout. You would press the number 5 on the numpad three times rapidly.
[...]

Thank you. That is most interesting.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

That is really easy, very helpful information.

Bye for now,

Carolyn