Topics

Pronunciation of Geometric Shapes in JAWS

Annabelle Susan Morison

Hi, it's Annabelle.
I've discovered that you can configure JAWS to speak unicode characters in any way you want it to, but I wonder, of all the unicode characters, I can't find one that represents a "quarter circle". Where I've heard it speak this "quarter circle" is on radio buttons of an installation screen on a program, specifically the ones that are unchecked, especially when I navigate to them with the JAWS cursor. Which unicode character and hexidecimal value represents a quarter circle? This way, I can have JAWS speak all occurances of this character no matter what synthesizer I have it switched to.

Annabelle,

I do not know how accessible this PDF file is, but it's worth taking a look at, http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U25A0.pdf, which deals with unicode for geometric shapes.

If, by quarter circle, you mean a circle with the quadrant at the top right (noon to 3 PM on a clock face) darkened the Hex code for that is 25D4.  It's called "circle with upper right quadrant black" and is on page four of the linked document.
--
Brian

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.

~ William James

Annabelle,

Would you also mind posting the steps to take to get JAWS to pronounce a given UNICODE character as you'd wish it to?
--
Brian

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.

~ William James

Annabelle Susan Morison

For example:
symbol144=U+25cf 11010101 black circle

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 5:33 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Pronunciation of Geometric Shapes in JAWS

Annabelle,

Would you also mind posting the steps to take to get JAWS to pronounce a given UNICODE character as you'd wish it to?
--
Brian

~ William James

Annabelle Susan Morison

Is that the character that usually appears beside a radio button that is unchecked when you navigate with the JAWS cursor?

Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 5:29 PM

Annabelle,

I do not know how accessible this PDF file is, but it's worth taking a look at, http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U25A0.pdf, which deals with unicode for geometric shapes.

If, by quarter circle, you mean a circle with the quadrant at the top right (noon to 3 PM on a clock face) darkened the Hex code for that is 25D4.  It's called "circle with upper right quadrant black" and is on page four of the linked document.
--
Brian

~ William James

Anabelle,

I can't really answer your question.  An unselected radio button visually looks like an empty circle.  There is no portion of it that is filled in.  A selected radio button looks like a fully filled in circle.

When you start getting into the JAWS Virtual cursor as opposed to the system cursor things get really complicated since JAWS essentially changes two dimensions, horizontal and vertical, into a long single dimension or chain as best I can understand it.  The way it does that mapping is not always intuitively equivalent to how a sighted person processes a layout that is supposed to use visual cueing to suggest what order it should be traversed in.
--
Brian

~ William James

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Annabelle. I brought up a Wikipedia article about Unicode and geometric shapes. There is a table, but nowhere in that table is there a representation of the quarter circle. I have seen this in the past as well, but can't find one right now to check its character value.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 4:48 PM
Subject: Pronunciation of Geometric Shapes in JAWS

Hi, it's Annabelle.
I've discovered that you can configure JAWS to speak unicode characters in any way you want it to, but I wonder, of all the unicode characters, I can't find one that represents a "quarter circle". Where I've heard it speak this "quarter circle" is on radio buttons of an installation screen on a program, specifically the ones that are unchecked, especially when I navigate to them with the JAWS cursor. Which unicode character and hexidecimal value represents a quarter circle? This way, I can have JAWS speak all occurances of this character no matter what synthesizer I have it switched to.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13582 (20160601) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13582 (20160601) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

This may be a bit more accessible than the PDF file I posted earlier.  It deals strictly with geometric shape characters in Unicode:  http://www.unicode.org/charts/nameslist/n_25A0.html

25CB begins a chunk of Circle characters including the one with top right quadrant filled in at 25D4
--
Brian

~ William James

Annabelle Susan Morison

Is the circle with top right quadrant filled in what you would consider a "quarter circle"? How would I put it? Would I say that JAWS should say something like: "symbol145=U+25d4 11010101 upper right quarter circle"?

Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 8:05 PM

This may be a bit more accessible than the PDF file I posted earlier.  It deals strictly with geometric shape characters in Unicode:  http://www.unicode.org/charts/nameslist/n_25A0.html

25CB begins a chunk of Circle characters including the one with top right quadrant filled in at 25D4
--
Brian

~ William James