Topics

Pronunciation of Geometric Shapes in JAWS

Annabelle Susan Morison

Hi, it's Annabelle.
I've discovered that you can configure JAWS to speak unicode characters in any way you want it to, but I wonder, of all the unicode characters, I can't find one that represents a "quarter circle". Where I've heard it speak this "quarter circle" is on radio buttons of an installation screen on a program, specifically the ones that are unchecked, especially when I navigate to them with the JAWS cursor. Which unicode character and hexidecimal value represents a quarter circle? This way, I can have JAWS speak all occurances of this character no matter what synthesizer I have it switched to.

Annabelle,

          I do not know how accessible this PDF file is, but it's worth taking a look at, http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U25A0.pdf, which deals with unicode for geometric shapes.

          If, by quarter circle, you mean a circle with the quadrant at the top right (noon to 3 PM on a clock face) darkened the Hex code for that is 25D4.  It's called "circle with upper right quadrant black" and is on page four of the linked document.
--
Brian

         ~ William James

Annabelle,

         Would you also mind posting the steps to take to get JAWS to pronounce a given UNICODE character as you'd wish it to?
--
Brian

         ~ William James

Annabelle Susan Morison

For example:
symbol144=U+25cf 11010101 black circle

         Would you also mind posting the steps to take to get JAWS to pronounce a given UNICODE character as you'd wish it to?
--
Brian

         ~ William James

Annabelle Susan Morison

Is that the character that usually appears beside a radio button that is unchecked when you navigate with the JAWS cursor?