Topics

How To Stop Jaws From Saying "Vertical Tab"

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

As you may recall, I'm working to get Office 365 up and running on a fairly
new Windows 7 laptop. I am using the latest build of Jaws 17.

I have noticed that in many Outlook 2016 e-mails, and especially in
Microsoft Word documents, Jaws keeps saying "vertical tab", as I navigate
whatever it is I'm reading.

I don't recall encountering this behavior in the previous versions of
Outlook and Word that I have used.

How can I get Jaws to stop reading the vertical tabs, whatever they are?

As I'm sure yu can imagine, this vertical tab designation is very
distracting.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom,

         Have you checked punctuation settings?

         I imagine this gets announced when many others don't because it represents an intentional page break where one would not otherwise occur and its a way to let the listener know that you've jumped to the next page "early."
--
Brian

         ~ William James

Tom Behler

Yes, I have, Brian;  and have punctuation set to “some”, as I always have done in the past.

Tom Behler

         I imagine this gets announced when many others don't because it represents an intentional page break where one would not otherwise occur and its a way to let the listener know that you've jumped to the next page "early."
--
Brian

         ~ William James

Martin Blackwell

Brian,

It’s a soft return, ASCII 11. Not a page break. I investigated this when it came up before in Word. If you put some soft returns (SHIFT+ ENTER) in a Word document, and search for ASCII 11 or manual line break you’ll find it.