moderated Need help downloading to my computer and transferring BARD books to Victor TREK using JAWS

Shirley Tracy

Hi list,

Using Windows 10, do I need an app to unzip books that I download from BARD before transferring them into the Victor Trek from Humanware. I generally read books in my iPhone, but I’m taking a 5 hour plane trip, and I want to have something to do on the long flight and still save my phone battery.

If I need an app to unzip, which one will JAWS work well with?

Thanks for your help.

Steve Matzura

Windows can open ZIP archives natively, no third-party program required.

On 5/8/2018 11:27 AM, Shirley Tracy wrote:

Hi list,

Using Windows 10, do I need an app to unzip books that I download from BARD before transferring them into the Victor Trek from Humanware. I generally read books in my iPhone, but I’m taking a 5 hour plane trip, and I want to have something to do on the long flight and still save my phone battery.

If I need an app to unzip, which one will JAWS work well with?

Thanks for your help.

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

You can also download books from BARD directly from your Trek without going through the step of downloading them to your computer and then transferring them to the Trek.

Pam

Windows can open ZIP archives natively, no third-party program required.

On 5/8/2018 11:27 AM, Shirley Tracy wrote:
Hi list,

Using Windows 10, do I need an app to unzip books that I download from BARD before transferring them into the Victor Trek from Humanware. I generally read books in my iPhone, but I’m taking a 5 hour plane trip, and I want to have something to do on the long flight and still save my phone battery.

If I need an app to unzip, which one will JAWS work well with?

Thanks for your help.

Shirley Tracy

Thank you, Steve and Pam. Someone had told me that only XP was able to unzip, and that I needed an app. Glad to take that off my list.

I just recently got my Victor Trek, so guess I need to read the user guide more carefully. So, JAWS doesn’t figure into this equasion. Sorry to take up listers’ time. I’m always learning.

Shirley Tracy

You can also download books from BARD directly from your Trek without going through the step of downloading them to your computer and then transferring them to the Trek.

Pam

Windows can open ZIP archives natively, no third-party program required.

On 5/8/2018 11:27 AM, Shirley Tracy wrote:

Hi list,

Using Windows 10, do I need an app to unzip books that I download from BARD before transferring them into the Victor Trek from Humanware. I generally read books in my iPhone, but I’m taking a 5 hour plane trip, and I want to have something to do on the long flight and still save my phone battery.

If I need an app to unzip, which one will JAWS work well with?

Thanks for your help.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Shirley. Windows can unzip files natively as stated earlier, but if you are going to unzip more than one file at a time, it certainly wouldn’t hurt to install 7-zip as well. This way, you can select multiple zip files, and unzip them into their own folders all at once. If you should choose to do this, write back, and I’ll give you the steps for performing a multiple unzip with 7-zip.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Thank you, Bill. As of right now, I don’t plan to unzip multiple files at one time. If I ever need to do so in future, I may call upon you. Again, thanks.

Shirley Tracy

[...]

Brenda Emerson-Alford

Hello Shirley,

I do this all the time.  I will go to BARD and download several books to my computer into a Books Download folder which I created.  Later I will transfer them to my Victor Reader.  I have both the older version and the newer version of Victor Reader.  What you need is the Humanware Companion software on your computer.  You can find it on their website.

You can either download directly to the Victor reader with your cord or what I do is pull out my HDSD card.  I put in a higher memory card when I bought my machine so I could download more books.  It is just a matter of pulling your HDSD card out of the Victor Reader and inserting it in your computer when you have the Humanware Companion App open.  It is fairly simple to figure out what to do by playing around with the menu but there is also a good set of directions on their website.  I use the Victor Reader a lot because my phone runs down quick enough without using it to read books all the time.

Hope this helps.

Using Windows 10, do I need an app to unzip books that I download from BARD before transferring them into the Victor Trek from Humanware. I generally read books in my iPhone, but I’m taking a 5 hour plane trip, and I want to have something to do on the long flight and still save my phone battery.

If I need an app to unzip, which one will JAWS work well with?

Thanks for your help.

Shirley Tracy

                I want to thank all of you who graciously responded to my plea. However, I figured it out, thanks to a few recommendations on this list. I re-read the user manual for the Victor Trek, and downloaded the books directly from BARD to the player. Bypassed my computer. But I can tie this message in with JAWS, because had it not been for the JAWS group, I would never have known to do it. Thanks.

Shirley Tracy

[...]

Christopher Zeigler

Hello here is another way you can download books onto the Victor reader Trek
1 turn your device on
2 make sure you're connected to your Wi-Fi network then press key 7 which is your number 7 until you hear analyst Bart or online services does not show up when hitting the number 7 then login by typing your email address in and your password once that's done you can search the Collection directly from the Victor reader stream or the trick
I hope this helps and have a wonderful day
Chris