Topics

moderated Jaws recently crashing with Chicken Nugget

Cristóbal

Hello list,

So recently, I’ve been encountering an issue with the Chicken Nugget twitter client (portable version) and Jaws. Starting on Friday, as I’m down arrowing through the timeline of tweets, Jaws will just crash on me. Sometimes, I can bring Jaws back with the insert plus alt plus W command, but often, I have to resort to launching NVDA and killing the lingering Jaws processes in the task manager to then be able to bring Jaws back.

As mentioned above, this is with the portable Chicken Nugget installer that I’ve been already running for a while. My Jaws is current and while this random crashing hadn’t occurred with earlier versions of Jaws, this issue only started popping up last week. I’ve been running the latest JFW update shortly after it was put out in the middle of April.

I reached out to the CN dev (Accessible Apps) and he confirmed what I figured, that there was nothing on the app’s end that has changed to suddenly caused this.

Are any other Jaws users dealing with anything similar when in CN?

Thanks,

Cristobal

It may not be a solution, but have you tried to unload/reload Jaws with Jaws Key+Alt+F4? If you do try it make sure you give it at least 30 seconds, sometimes it can take Jaws a while to recover itself.

[...]

Der. Dumb me, this is of course what I meant to type instead of the insert plus alt plus W command which I just realized I typed…

So yes, that’s what I’ve been doing. In fact, what I’m noticing too is that if I get Jaws to come back via this method instead of loading NVDA and then going into the task manager to kill the lingering Jaws processes and getting the Jaws icon out of the system tray, when I alt plus tab back into the Chicken Nugget application window, Jaws will go quiet on me again. I can navigate the PC fine otherwise. Firefox, Outlook, other Office applications, Windows 10, etc. But as soon as I go into the CN window… crickets again. Only if I kill JFW completely with NVDA will I then be able to go back into the CN application window at all without losing Jaws. My Brailliant in this regard helps me since I can tell when the program is loading or has crashed. Sometimes, it seems like Jaws will start up and crash a couple of times before I get speech back just by going off of the display.

Also, I’m using eloquence with both Jaws and NVDA, but so far, NVDA’s held steady and not crapped out on me in CN. This really isn’t a solution though, since NVDA really is a back up get out of jams option for me. I’m a Jaws user through and through for Outlook, Word, Excel and so on and Braille display support while better with NVDA now a days, still isn’t completely quite there yet.

I already wrote VFO about this and of course, I wrote them with the incorrect insert plus alt plus W command. So when they eventually get back to me informing me that I’m using the wrong command, I’m going to have to rmember to make that correction in my reply.