From: Ann Byrne [mailto:annakb@...]
Sent: Tuesday, May 1, 2018 6:05 PM EST
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Entering a formula in Excel with JAWS 2018

In JAWS 18 when I press '=' to begin a formula, JAWS says"Type in the
formula and press enter".  In JAWS 2018 when I press "=", the '+'
appears to be accepted, but JAWS doesn't say anything.  at all.
Pressing "=" a second time causes an error in the formula.  The "="
keystroke is accepted by Excel, but JAWS says nothing.  Is there a
setting I need to change in order to get the information spoken???

Thanks,

.

Randy Meyer

For me with Jaws 2018 when I press equals in a cell in excel, it says,
"edit, type in text". So, it does not tell me to type in a formula, but it
does tell me it is ready for editing. I then type in my formula.

In JAWS 18 when I press '=' to begin a formula, JAWS says"Type in the
formula and press enter". In JAWS 2018 when I press "=", the '+'
appears to be accepted, but JAWS doesn't say anything. at all. Pressing
"=" a second time causes an error in the formula. The "=" keystroke is
accepted by Excel, but JAWS says nothing. Is there a setting I need to
change in order to get the information spoken???

Thanks,

Ann Byrne

Do you have the latest version of 2018--1804.26?

At 08:08 PM 5/1/2018, you wrote:
For me with Jaws 2018 when I press equals in a cell in excel, it says,
"edit, type in text". So, it does not tell me to type in a formula, but it
does tell me it is ready for editing. I then type in my formula.

In JAWS 18 when I press '=' to begin a formula, JAWS says"Type in the
formula and press enter". In JAWS 2018 when I press "=", the '+'
appears to be accepted, but JAWS doesn't say anything. at all. Pressing
"=" a second time causes an error in the formula. The "=" keystroke is
accepted by Excel, but JAWS says nothing. Is there a setting I need to
change in order to get the information spoken???

Thanks,

Randy Meyer

Yes, I am running the latest version of Jaws 2018.

Randy Meyer

In JAWS 18 when I press '=' to begin a formula, JAWS says"Type in the
formula and press enter". In JAWS 2018 when I press "=", the '+'
appears to be accepted, but JAWS doesn't say anything. at all.
Pressing "=" a second time causes an error in the formula. The "="
keystroke is accepted by Excel, but JAWS says nothing. Is there a
setting I need to change in order to get the information spoken???

Thanks,

george b <gbmagoo@...>

I just tested using excel 2016 365 and when I put a = in a field it says all
you got and enter formulia

Yes, I am running the latest version of Jaws 2018.

Randy Meyer

In JAWS 18 when I press '=' to begin a formula, JAWS says"Type in the
formula and press enter". In JAWS 2018 when I press "=", the '+'
appears to be accepted, but JAWS doesn't say anything. at all.
Pressing "=" a second time causes an error in the formula. The "="
keystroke is accepted by Excel, but JAWS says nothing. Is there a
setting I need to change in order to get the information spoken???

Thanks,

Dave...

Randy,

First of all, is your Excel screen maximized? Secondly, there is a setting
in Excel to allow editing directly in the cell. I find this in my Excel 2007
version under Excel Options, Advanced, and several tabs along in that page.

Dave

Yes, I am running the latest version of Jaws 2018.

Randy Meyer

In JAWS 18 when I press '=' to begin a formula, JAWS says"Type in the
formula and press enter". In JAWS 2018 when I press "=", the '+'
appears to be accepted, but JAWS doesn't say anything. at all.
Pressing "=" a second time causes an error in the formula. The "="
keystroke is accepted by Excel, but JAWS says nothing. Is there a
setting I need to change in order to get the information spoken???

Thanks,

Randy Meyer

Dave:

Thank you, I am not having any problem entering formulas in Excel. I was
responding to an earlier message in this thread. I was just sharing that
although I do not get a message to enter a formula, it is clear to me after
hitting equl that I can start typing.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Randy Meyer

Yes, I am running the latest version of Jaws 2018.

Randy Meyer

In JAWS 18 when I press '=' to begin a formula, JAWS says"Type in the
formula and press enter". In JAWS 2018 when I press "=", the '+'
appears to be accepted, but JAWS doesn't say anything. at all.
Pressing "=" a second time causes an error in the formula. The "="
keystroke is accepted by Excel, but JAWS says nothing. Is there a
setting I need to change in order to get the information spoken???

Thanks,

Ann Byrne

FS tech support says it is a known problem and will be fixed in the next JAWS 2018 update.