moderated JAWS friendly way to translate English into Spanish.

Tim Ford

Hello All,

I posted this request back a couple of weeks ago.  The one response I did get was not what I needed.  In posting again, and with my apologies, I am hopeful someone can help. 

I am using JAWS 17 with Windows 10.  I have a friend whose English is no better than my Spanish.  Is there a web site, Word feature, stand-alone software, or some other way for she and I to type and hit a button to translate?  It could be just reading the screen, or better yet, a button to press to have the computer speak the translation.  Any ideas are much appreciated!

Sincerely,

Tim Ford

Cristóbal

Did you by any chance get my response?

Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:53 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: RE: JAWS friendly way to translate English into Spanish.

My work is mainly focused in interpreting, but for the occasional translating stuff, I’ll go lazy and use this site: http://www.spanish-translator-services.com/espanol/traductor-gratis.htm

It’s actually pretty solid. The Microsoft built in translator is also surprisingly good. ProZ.com works too, but that site is a little more funky to get around in with a screen reader last I tried.

Keeping in mind other factors like localization and register. I.E. The Spanish spoken in Mexico or Argentina, Cuba, Spain, etc will vary in idioms/slang and the level of education and so on.

The services I mentioned above are good for a foundation to work off of, but for more formal translation work, it’s not just a copy and paste job. You have to know what you’re talking about. But for casual communication or in a pinch, they’d more or less get the job done.

This is off the PC of course. The Google translate iOS app would be my choice for mobile, but they for whatever reason only offer Castilian Spanish which for the Latin American Spanish ear can be . . . tedious to listen to. That probably wouldn’t matter in this case though.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim Ford
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2018 10:53 AM
To: JAWS-Users-List <jaws-users-list-bounces@...>; jfw@groups.io
Subject: JAWS friendly way to translate English into Spanish.

Hello All,

I posted this request back a couple of weeks ago.  The one response I did get was not what I needed.  In posting again, and with my apologies, I am hopeful someone can help. 

I am using JAWS 17 with Windows 10.  I have a friend whose English is no better than my Spanish.  Is there a web site, Word feature, stand-alone software, or some other way for she and I to type and hit a button to translate?  It could be just reading the screen, or better yet, a button to press to have the computer speak the translation.  Any ideas are much appreciated!

Sincerely,

Tim Ford

Tim Ford

Yes I did, and I thought I responded to let you know I appreciated your responding.  The web site was all in Spanish, and I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that there was not an English version.  If I was too hasty in concluding the site was not what I could use, would you be so kind as to send that info to me again?

Sincerely,

Tim Ford

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cristóbal
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2018 10:57 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS friendly way to translate English into Spanish.

My work is mainly focused in interpreting, but for the occasional translating stuff, I’ll go lazy and use this site: http://www.spanish-translator-services.com/espanol/traductor-gratis.htm

It’s actually pretty solid. The Microsoft built in translator is also surprisingly good. ProZ.com works too, but that site is a little more funky to get around in with a screen reader last I tried.

Keeping in mind other factors like localization and register. I.E. The Spanish spoken in Mexico or Argentina, Cuba, Spain, etc will vary in idioms/slang and the level of education and so on.

The services I mentioned above are good for a foundation to work off of, but for more formal translation work, it’s not just a copy and paste job. You have to know what you’re talking about. But for casual communication or in a pinch, they’d more or less get the job done.

This is off the PC of course. The Google translate iOS app would be my choice for mobile, but they for whatever reason only offer Castilian Spanish which for the Latin American Spanish ear can be . . . tedious to listen to. That probably wouldn’t matter in this case though.

Hello All,

Sincerely,

Tim Ford

Cristóbal

The main English language site is: http://www.spanish-translator-services.com/

You may have to poke around to get to the same page for typing in text as Spanish, but it’s there. I simpy haven’t used it since I can do both from the Spanish language site.

You could pass along the Spanish language site to your friend.

Also, like I said, Microsoft’s translating tool for Word is actually pretty good too.

Sent: Friday, April 27, 2018 11:11 AM

Yes I did, and I thought I responded to let you know I appreciated your responding.  The web site was all in Spanish, and I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that there was not an English version.  If I was too hasty in concluding the site was not what I could use, would you be so kind as to send that info to me again?

Sincerely,

Tim Ford

Hello All,

Sincerely,

Tim Ford

Tim Ford

I somehow missed your mention of the Word tool.  Is that included in Word 2010, the version I have?

How do I get to the

Sent: Friday, April 27, 2018 11:45 AM

The main English language site is: http://www.spanish-translator-services.com/

You may have to poke around to get to the same page for typing in text as Spanish, but it’s there. I simpy haven’t used it since I can do both from the Spanish language site.

You could pass along the Spanish language site to your friend.

Also, like I said, Microsoft’s translating tool for Word is actually pretty good too.

Sent: Friday, April 27, 2018 11:11 AM

Sincerely,

Tim Ford

Hello All,

Sincerely,

Tim Ford

Adriani Botez

Hello,

in this case there is an addon for NVDA called instant translate.

Best
Adriani

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 27.04.2018 um 20:10 schrieb Tim Ford <ttford@...>:

Sincerely,

Tim Ford

Hello All,

Sincerely,

Tim Ford