moderated moving pointer to top corner of dialog box

Van Lant, Robin

Hi all,

I have a couple programs at work that do not work well with speech.  In Window-Eyes I could put the mouse pointer to the top left of the program window or dialog box, then arrow down to read some status lines or get close to the edit fields I need.

With JAWS, I’m getting proficient with routing the JAWS cursor to PC, but I cannot figure out if there is a way to get my mouse pointer to the top left or bottom left corners of the focused window.  With Window Eyes, I just had to hit the 7 on the numpad.  Is there a method?

Thanks.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

I don’t know if this is what you’re looking for, but there are two keystrokes in JAWS:

Get top left corner:

CONTROL plus SHIFT plus LEFT BRACKET

Get Bottom Right Corner:

CONTROL plus SHIFT plus RIGHT BRACKET

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I have a couple programs at work that do not work well with speech.  In Window-Eyes I could put the mouse pointer to the top left of the program window or dialog box, then arrow down to read some status lines or get close to the edit fields I need.

With JAWS, I’m getting proficient with routing the JAWS cursor to PC, but I cannot figure out if there is a way to get my mouse pointer to the top left or bottom left corners of the focused window.  With Window Eyes, I just had to hit the 7 on the numpad.  Is there a method?

Thanks.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Van Lant, Robin

Interesting and not intuitive.  Does that mean that JAWS does not offer the same kind of screen reviewing that Window Eyes did where I could use keys to navigate up and down the screen with the pointer?   These various modes are my bigger learning hurdle right now with JAWS.

I have a couple programs at work that do not work well with speech.  In Window-Eyes I could put the mouse pointer to the top left of the program window or dialog box, then arrow down to read some status lines or get close to the edit fields I need.

With JAWS, I’m getting proficient with routing the JAWS cursor to PC, but I cannot figure out if there is a way to get my mouse pointer to the top left or bottom left corners of the focused window.  With Window Eyes, I just had to hit the 7 on the numpad.  Is there a method?

Thanks.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

I don’t think you can navigate up and down with the mouse pointer. You can, however, use the mouse itself with mouse echo turned on. To do this,

1. Press INSERT or JAWS key plus Space bar, followed by the letter E.

Then the following keys are available to change the behavior of Mouse Echo, once JAWS key plus Space followed by E is entered,

Toggle mouse echo On/Off = O.
Set mouse echo to character = C.
Set mouse echo to word = W.
Set mouse echo to line = L.
Set mouse echo to paragraph = P.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Are you using Windows 7 or Windows 10? In Windows 7 NumPad 7 or Home would move the Jaws cursor to the top right of whatever Window you were in if the Jaws cursor was activated. This may still be the case in Windows 10 except in Windows 10 the Jaws cursor does not read very much any more in many situations, that is just the way Windows 10 works and not the fault of the Jaws cursor.

[...]

Mario

I'm not sure this is of any help, but it is possible to review the
entire screen, but be aware doing this will allow JAWS to review
background gibberish that's behind the dialog. you will need to do the
following after the JAWS cursor has been enabled. press and hold insert
while pressing r. with each press of r, JAWS will cycle thru reading
modes. keep pressing r until you hear Unrestricted. now you can move the
JAWS cursor beyond the sticking point, but be sure to return the reading
mode to the default, Application window restriction, to eventually
return the JAWS cursor back to proper behavior.

the keystrokes that Bill offered are keystrokes for defining frame
boundries when creating frames and their use in further scripting.

I have a couple programs at work that do not work well with speech. In
Window-Eyes I could put the mouse pointer to the top left of the program
window or dialog box, then arrow down to read some status lines or get close
to the edit fields I need.

With JAWS, I'm getting proficient with routing the JAWS cursor to PC, but I
cannot figure out if there is a way to get my mouse pointer to the top left
or bottom left corners of the focused window. With Window Eyes, I just had
to hit the 7 on the numpad. Is there a method?

Thanks.

intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying,
the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This
communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers
directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose
information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails'
in the SUBJECT line.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Sieghard. He’s not trying to use the JAWS cursor. He’s trying to use the mouse cursor.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Sieghard,

I may try this.  Bill’s information was useful, but I need a few options to play with.  The main program I’m battling with is the instant messaging client our company uses.  It’s produced by Cisco Systems and neither  Window Eyes nor JAWS can read it well.  I believe it’s based on Java.  With Window Eyes, I found that I could put my mouse pointer in the top left corner, then move the pointer down slightly to get Window Eyes to voice the name of the person contacting me and or their status.  There was no way to get this voiced except with the Mouse pointer.  Then, if I used another key to put my mouse in the bottom right or left corner, I could move the pointer up slightly and click once to position my cursor in the message edit field.  Truly, I’m not sure how a totally blind person would work with this program. I’m using a combination of my bit of remaining central vision and the mouse echo feature in Window Eyes to use this software.  As the last of my central vision fades, I hope I will have figured out some additional means for navigating, so maybe the JAWS cursor method, then routing the PC curser there will help..

Robin

[...]

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

Robin,

I am curious about which instant messaging client your company uses. It seems like accessibility is an issue with many of these types of programs, from what I have seen. Without the add-on scripts available for JAWS, Microsoft LYNC/Skype for Business would not be accessible.

On a related note, has anyone had success with using Slack?

Pam

billwhite92701@...<mailto:billwhite92701@...>

I have a couple programs at work that do not work well with speech. In Window-Eyes I could put the mouse pointer to the top left of the program window or dialog box, then arrow down to read some status lines or get close to the edit fields I need.

With JAWS, I’m getting proficient with routing the JAWS cursor to PC, but I cannot figure out if there is a way to get my mouse pointer to the top left or bottom left corners of the focused window. With Window Eyes, I just had to hit the 7 on the numpad. Is there a method?

Thanks.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Van Lant, Robin

Pam, the messaging client we use is Cisco Jabber. We also use Cisco WebEx for meetings and both of these integrate with Outlook and with each other. I really don't know if I could use either without relying on the bit of remaining central vision I have, and even that is not enough some times.