From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Durber
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2018 7:38 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Software to convert scanned images to PDF files

Hello everyone:

I need to scan some documents and send them as pDF files.

Does anyone on the list know of a software package which is accessible and can do what I am wanting to do and keep the original format and layout.

I used the Windows Fax and Scan program without much success.

Thank you all in advance for any and all suggestions.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

What format are the scans in? If they are JPG you could just Google "JPG to PDF converters" and you'll find a ton of online converters most of which are very accessible. You just click some button to upload your JPG file, then if PDF is already selected as the output format (most of them let you convert all sorts of things) then you click the "Convert" button and finally you download your converted PDF image. There are of course also desktop applications out there, but many of them might cost a bit and often they may be less accessible. Unless you have to convert large numbers of files and are unable to scan directly to PDF the online converters are the way to go.

I need to scan some documents and send them as pDF files.

Does anyone on the list know of a software package which is accessible and can do what I am wanting to do and keep the original format and layout.

I used the Windows Fax and Scan program without much success.

Thank you all in advance for any and all suggestions.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

george b

Also if you can scan to word and you have the latest 2016 version it will
let you save word docs into p d f

I need to scan some documents and send them as pDF files.

Does anyone on the list know of a software package which is accessible and
can do what I am wanting to do and keep the original format and layout.

I used the Windows Fax and Scan program without much success.

Thank you all in advance for any and all suggestions.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

Dave Durber

The machine I have is a Canon MG 2500. It is a printer, scanner, photocopier.

I purchased it a week ago. I haven't had much time to learn how to use the software, let alone get to use the thing.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

What brand and model of scanner do you have? Most scanners these days come with software where you can choose whether you want to save your scanned image in JPG or PDF, PDF nowadays is much more common.

I need to scan some documents and send them as pDF files.

Does anyone on the list know of a software package which is accessible and can do what I am wanting to do and keep the original format and layout.

I used the Windows Fax and Scan program without much success.

Thank you all in advance for any and all suggestions.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

Dave Durber

I need to scan several sheets of paper. As I said previously, up till now, I have been using the Fax/Scanner software, which is installed with Windows. Unfortunately, the results, have varied enormously.

[...]

The latest version of MS Word I have is contained in Office 10.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

Also if you can scan to word and you have the latest 2016 version it will
let you save word docs into p d f

I need to scan some documents and send them as pDF files.

Does anyone on the list know of a software package which is accessible and
can do what I am wanting to do and keep the original format and layout.

I used the Windows Fax and Scan program without much success.

Thank you all in advance for any and all suggestions.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

I just looked it up and it says it comes with a scan utility. You would probably be better of trying to use it rather than Windows Fax and Scan.
There is a good chance that this scan application will let you save in PDF.

Regards,
Siegharrd

What brand and model of scanner do you have? Most scanners these days come
with software where you can choose whether you want to save your scanned
image in JPG or PDF, PDF nowadays is much more common.

I need to scan some documents and send them as pDF files.

Does anyone on the list know of a software package which is accessible and
can do what I am wanting to do and keep the original format and layout.

I used the Windows Fax and Scan program without much success.

Thank you all in advance for any and all suggestions.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

Debby Hill

Sorry this might not be of much help, but I have a Canon MF416 and it does
have a scan utility that can save in PDF. You can do an image file or have
OCR. However, I am not sure about the formatting. When I have used it, I
haven't been that interested in the formatting.

Debby

What brand and model of scanner do you have? Most scanners these days come
with software where you can choose whether you want to save your scanned
image in JPG or PDF, PDF nowadays is much more common.

I need to scan some documents and send them as pDF files.

Does anyone on the list know of a software package which is accessible and
can do what I am wanting to do and keep the original format and layout.

I used the Windows Fax and Scan program without much success.

Thank you all in advance for any and all suggestions.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

Dave Durber

First of all, thank you to those who responded to my initial post on this thread.

As I mentioned previously, I have only had the Canon MG 2500 for a week, so I have some learning to do, before I can use the photocopying and scanning functions confidently.

In 2014, I bought a Canon CanoScan Lide 210 scanner. I only installed its driver, so I could use Kerzweil 1000 with it.

Yesterday, I installed the rest of the software which was included on the CD.

On the front of the scanner, are several buttons, which perform designated functions. Obviously, the buttons do not work without the software being installed.

With the software installed, After some experimenting, I found that the button on the extreme left, is the Scan to PDF function. You can scan a single page or multiple pages. The only thing you have to do if you are scanning multiple pages, is to change the page, then press ENTER, to activate the Next button, to scan each page. Once you have finished scanning all the pages, Press ENTER, to activate the Finish Button. When you activate the Finish Button, the software automatically saves all the images to a single image file, then converts the image file to a pdf file. the two files are saved in the same folder.

I then opened the file in Kerzweil 1000, and was happy to hear the entire text of the document with great accuracy. Of course, as we all know, that is not always going to be the case.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber