moderated trouble changing Googlesearch settings

Sandra Streeter

Hello,

Trying to change my Googlesearch # of results to 100, but all I see, when I get there, is a list of from 10 to 100 desired; it doesn’t appear to have actual links to click on, just a vertical list. I have tried to click on them with spacebar and enter, but obviously, nothing happens.So, what’s up with that? Any ideas for how to proceed? Thanks, in advance.

Sandra

“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.”
(Henry David Thoreau)

Kelly <kelly@...>

What browser and version of JAWS are you using?  With the latest version of JAWS in Chrome or Internet Explorer, are you hearing JAWS talk about a slider just after the heading that talks about the number of search results?  If so you should be able to press enter on the item JAWS calls a slider and have Forms Mode turn on.  Then use the left or right arrows to adjust the slider and save the new setting.

Kelly

Trying to change my Googlesearch # of results to 100, but all I see, when I get there, is a list of from 10 to 100 desired; it doesn’t appear to have actual links to click on, just a vertical list. I have tried to click on them with spacebar and enter, but obviously, nothing happens.So, what’s up with that? Any ideas for how to proceed? Thanks, in advance.

Sandra

“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.”
(Henry David Thoreau)

Sandra Streeter

JAWS 16, i.e. 11. It doesn’t say “slider”, just has the no-link list of options. Just tried right-arrowing to the desired choice, then entering, and, as I suspected, didn’t get the desired result.

Yesterday, a friend sent me the link to the Googlesearch page, and I found the same results. Doing further research before that (I’m like a dog with a bone—I can’t let it go), I learned that sometimes your cookie settings can screw things up, so, now wonder if the page doesn’t represent correctly unless you allow all cookies—though that really doesn’t make sense, because I have the settings I had when I was able to make it happen probably a year ago. There may be cookie settings in CCleaner that do need changing in order for it to work, but I’m having trouble making changes there, too.

So, any further input from you and others, still appreciated. Until I can get a “sightee” to look at it and maybe make it happen, I am still willing to plug away. Thanks!

[...]

Mario

Sandra, after choosing how many results and pressing enter, the changes
needs to be saved. there's a button at the end of the locations for
different regions. activate it and you should get a message that the
settings were saved. now try it out.

Trying to change my Googlesearch # of results to 100, but all I see,
when I get there, is a list of from 10 to 100 desired; it doesn’t appear
to have actual links to click on, just a vertical list. I have tried to
click on them with spacebar and enter, but obviously, nothing
happens.So, what’s up with that? Any ideas for how to proceed? Thanks,
in advance.

Sandra

“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because
he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears,
however measured or far away.”
(Henry David Thoreau)

John Covici

Its possible you need a newer version of JAWS. You should download it
and see if that makes any difference.

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 12:12:49 -0400,
Mario wrote:

Sandra, after choosing how many results and pressing enter, the changes
needs to be saved. there's a button at the end of the locations for
different regions. activate it and you should get a message that the
settings were saved. now try it out.

Trying to change my Googlesearch # of results to 100, but all I see,
when I get there, is a list of from 10 to 100 desired; it doesn’t appear
to have actual links to click on, just a vertical list. I have tried to
click on them with spacebar and enter, but obviously, nothing
happens.So, what’s up with that? Any ideas for how to proceed? Thanks,
in advance.

Sandra

“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because
he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears,
however measured or far away.”
(Henry David Thoreau)

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Mario

John, it works fine. I just did it using what Sandra has, J16 and IE11.

Trying to change my Googlesearch # of results to 100, but all I see,
when I get there, is a list of from 10 to 100 desired; it doesn’t appear
to have actual links to click on, just a vertical list. I have tried to
click on them with spacebar and enter, but obviously, nothing
happens.So, what’s up with that? Any ideas for how to proceed? Thanks,
in advance.

Sandra

“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because
he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears,
however measured or far away.”
(Henry David Thoreau)

Kelly <kelly@...>

One other item to try because it sounds like the root of your problem is
that JAWS isn't going into forms mode where the slider is. Turn off the VPC
on this page once with ins+z and make sure it is off. If it happens to not
go off immediately, which I've experienced, alt+tab away and back. Then tab
through the page and see if you get to a slider or a number and try the left
and right arrows again.

Kelly

John, it works fine. I just did it using what Sandra has, J16 and IE11.

Trying to change my Googlesearch # of results to 100, but all I see, when I
get there, is a list of from 10 to 100 desired; it doesn't appear to have
actual links to click on, just a vertical list. I have tried to click on
them with spacebar and enter, but obviously, nothing happens.So, what's up
with that? Any ideas for how to proceed? Thanks, in advance.

Sandra

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he
hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however
measured or far away."
(Henry David Thoreau)

Sandra Streeter

Unfortunately, no dice. Even clicking on the "region settings" after making my selection, using Enter, did not do the trick. Is it possible that some forms-mode setting is off enough to make a difference? Will need to check JAWS to find out if I have any free upgrades left--if I'm going to make the change; I just used one on a work-eval, so don't recall how many are available still. Thanks for everyone's patience.

Sandra

“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.”
(Henry David Thoreau)

Trying to change my Googlesearch # of results to 100, but all I see,
when I get there, is a list of from 10 to 100 desired; it doesn’t appear
to have actual links to click on, just a vertical list. I have tried to
click on them with spacebar and enter, but obviously, nothing
happens.So, what’s up with that? Any ideas for how to proceed? Thanks,
in advance.

Sandra

“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because
he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears,
however measured or far away.”
(Henry David Thoreau)

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Sandra. The only way you will get Google to remember your settings is if you sign into google and leave yourself signed in with a gmail account. Otherwise, you must set the slider each time you access google search.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

I believe I’m already always signed in. My issue is that I can’t even get the slider to work as I’ve done in the past. Trying everything I can think of, following suggestions—to no avail! (guttural sigh of frustration).

[...]

Hi, Sandra. You’re right. It’s broken now. I can’t get it to work now either.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Hi, Sandra. I just tried an old trick I used to use. To get the slider to work,

1. Go to the slider.

2. Press Space Bar to get the forms feature to open.

3. Press the JAWS Cursor key.

4. Find the numbers,

10 20 30 40 50 100

with the JAWS Cursor.

5. Move to 100.

6. Press the Left Mouse button on your keyboard repeatedly until the form closes.

7.  This will signal that a change has taken place on the slider.

The first time I tried it, it only moved me to 30 search results. The next time I tried it, it moved me to 100 search results.

8. Now navigate to the “Save” button, and press ENTER.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Wow! Glad to know it isn’t just me! A sighted friend got his to work last night, but I couldn’t. “Veddy intehdesting!”

[...]

Hi, Sandra. If you want, I could try to tandem into your JAWS with you and change and save your search settings. If you want me to do this, write back, and I’ll send you the meeting number.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Probably a good idea. Warning—I have a tendency to get a bit tongue-tied in explaining things or take a while to get what someone techier than I is getting at, so if you can be patient with that, we’re golden! Unfortunately, I did not end up with the techy side of the Aspergers package, ha, ha! And, my weakest learning style is auditory, so I may have to take some Braille notes along the way. Give me a few minutes to set up, and I’ll dial in.

I did try the pointer you left in the message before this, but couldn’t even get the “search results” link to engage—though, by way of experimentation, I did also try the “safe search” link, which did work. So, now suspect some link isn’t working as it should.

[...]

Hi, Sandra. Once you get this email, do the following.

Press the jaws key plus j, then press U, then ENTER three times.

It will ask you to enter the number I am giving you. It is case sensitive, meaning that you must enter the capital letters as capitals. All the letters are capitals.

Enter the numbers and letters, and press enter.

The meeting ID is:

BX252UA

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Several attempts, but it just landed me on the title “JAWS Professional”, with no prompts... Just to make sure I’m correct in my keystrokes (half-self-taught, half by former tech guy at state agency, in dribs and drabs, so not always up on some specifics, like this one): JAWS key is lower-left, horizontal, oblong key on most num-pads. If not, that would explain it!

[...]

Nope, that’s not it. The JAWS key is the zero key on desktops on the numbers row, and is the capslock key on laptops. It timed me out. If you want to do this, why not give me a call. My phone number is

714-835-6295. I’ll walk you through it.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Sorry! I’ll make a note of that. Funny how you can go years being so-o-o woefully ignorant! Anyway, I have about 45 min. to kill before a TV show, so should call shortly.

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I am using Jaws 2018 but had absolutely no issues changing the number of search results using both Chrome and IE, I pressed enter on the “10” slider, arrowed right to 100 and pressed enter to select it, then “b” the button quick nav key took me straight to the “save” button at the bottom of the page, after activating it Jaws said “your settings have been saved” and there was an OK button which I had to activate.

After that it interstingly enough took me to a captcha, one of these “I am not a robot” checkboxes. In Chrome I could simply check it and press submit, in IE I had to go to the audio challenge and enter a number, but it was spoken clearly and at 5 digits was not hard to remember. After I entered the number and activated “Verify” the “I am not a Robot” checkbox got checked and I pressed Submit, then it went back to the regular google.com page.

I did go back to google.com/preferences and verified that the setting stuck and it did both in Google where I am signed in but also in iE where there is no sign-in, I guess IE remembers the setting and I assume Google does as well except if you are signed in and use multiple computers then if you change the setting on one computer it will also be applied to all others because if you are signed in with the same Google account all settings are synced.

Now, Sandra, if you are having issues with this I’d be happy to help you out via Jaws Tandem although I am not sure if I can connect with my Jaws 2018 to your Jaws 16, but if I can I’d be happy to give it a shot.

Regards,

Sieghard

Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2018 7:34 PM

Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2018 7:19 PM