moderated Finally got windows 10 and have questions

Shirley Tracy

Hi everyone,

I posted earlier I had bought an all-in-one computer, but got chicken and returned it. The one I have set up now is much more powerful--refurbished but works really well.

Here are my questions:

1. Do you all have trouble using EDGE? I generally use Internet Explorer or I used to sometimes use Firefox. When trying to read email today, I discovered that Edge will show me the messages but won't open the links. Is there a JAWS key that will open them? I'm using Roadrunner email through Mail.brighthouse.com. I'm using Internet Explorer right now, but I'd use Edge if it's possible.

2. I installed JAWS 1820 from the disk. I then downloaded the March update from the website. Do I need to download each of the other updates? Or will they be in the March update?
Windows 10 doesn't seem too difficult. It's just the learning curve that makes it seem daunting.

Thank you all for your patience. At least I'm trying to learn. (smile).

Shirley

Steve Matzura

Instead of using a browser for email, why not try a regular Windows mail program, like Thunderbird, or Windows Live Mail. I would not, however, recommend the native Windows 10 email client.

Your JAWS will tell you when there is an update, and invite you to download and install it by activating the appropriate button in the dialog. Ditto FSCast podcast episodes.

On 4/17/2018 8:32 PM, Shirley Tracy wrote:
[...]

John Covici

Forget Edge, its not yet accessible, so internet explorer or firefox
or chrome is fine. Office 365 and outlook work well, forEmail there
are not too bad.

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 20:45:35 -0400,
Steve Matzura wrote:

[...]

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I, for one, wouldn't even think of using Edge, as long as Internet Explorer still will work. Actually, I use Google, but Internet Explorer is the main browser.

Best regards,

Carolyn

[...]

Something interesting, if you use Outlook, it will be 2016. When I bought mine, I got Office 2013, but today, I saw somewhere where this Outlook is 2016. Outlook is OK, only one thing it does that makes no sense to me, and I would disable, if I could, and that is collapse and expand. To me it is nonsense; I do realize that it has a purpose and makes sense to somebody, just not to me. Therefore, if I could eliminate that function, I would immediately.

Best regards,

Carolyn

[...]

The Spring update is supposed to bring better access with Edge. Hopefully they're correct about that. Not being a Chrome fan, I'm very interested to see what Microsoft does with Edge development and how VFO and NVDA handle it with their screenreaders.

On 4/17/2018 8:51 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
[...]

Uncheck the box in the View menu that sets conversational view.

On 4/17/2018 8:53 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
[...]

Thanks for everyone who has responded. I guess I wasn't expecting EDGE to work perfectly, but I assumed issues with it had been fixed. I'm actually fine with Internet Explorer for now. My hope was that there would be something better.

My question about the updates was more a question of whether I needed to go back and download the January and February updates in order to get the fixes they are said to have contained. I just couldn't figure out if one builds upon the prior or if it contains all.

A little knowledge really can be a dangerous thing. :) I only have a little knowledge in the area of technology. But I can sure conjugate a verb.
:)
Thanks again.

Kenny Peyattt jr.

Not to be off topic but I purchased a chromebook and noticed that even with the built-in screenreader that it doesant do a good job. That is why I will always stick to windows and jaws.
Kenny Peyatt jr.

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Edge with Jaws 2018 may not have all the features you get with IE or Chrome, but it works quite well and I'm sure it will get better in time.
The fact, however, is that Chrome is still the most popular browser and probably will remain so, it is probably followed by Firefox and those make up a huge portion of browser use.

[...]

Hi Shirley,

Every Jaws version from the FS website is a full and complete version and represents the latest update. You don't even have to ever bother with the DVD, ity just adds an extra step, you could have just downloaded Jaws 2018 version 1803.24 (the March update) and installed it. I have no idea why FS insists on wasting resources by sending out these DVD's, as soon as I get mine it goes straight in the trash unopened.

Regards,
Sieghard

[...]

It says show a conversation not checked. Is that the right place?

Best regards,

Carolyn

[...]

Throwing the disc in the trash makes sense only if one has access to the installation file. In over thirty-five years of providing technical support, I learned one thing, and I think I learned it the very first day on the job: people treat computers like toasters--i.e., they don't know or care that to make a computer work the way they want it to sometimes requires intimate knowledge of the workings thereof, and a little bit of proper care and maintenance (read "upkeep") of things like software to forestall bad things happening. Shirley was absolutely correct in installing JAWS from the media she had on hand, without which she might have had to wait for someone to download and start running it for her. If ever there comes a time when someone needs to re-install JAWS on a new or regenerated system and did or could not prepare for that event by downloading and saving a copy of the JAWS installation media, then the JAWS disc can be a lifesaver.  I take it from the original message that this was exactly the situation, since the computer was new, so unless Shirley was comfortable using Narrator, or had another method of access to perform the download and run it, what other choices did she have but to use said disc. Good on ya, Shirley!

[...]

Debby Hill

I think it says something like group by,but i can’t check it now because i am on a Greyhound bus. I hate that collapse thing too

Debby

On Apr 18, 2018, at 10:35 AM, Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes. It says "Show as conversation," not "show a conversation." No biggie, but that's the right checkbox. If it's already unchecked and you are still seeing threads, then there's another one of which I am unaware because I'm not an Outlook user.

On 4/18/2018 10:35 AM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Debbie, I'll keep checking around.

Have a safe trip!

Best regards,

Carolyn

[...]

Thanks. I think you hit it right. I couldn't have downloaded without the disc in this case. And as you all probably know, I'm not a tech person. I just use a computer for what I need and try to learn all I can along the way. Over the years, I have learned a lot--probably more than I even realize--but I view my computer as a means to an end. I admire those of you who do more and know so much more. And I thank all of you for your help.

Cheerfully,
Shirley

---- Steve Matzura <number6@...> wrote:

=============
[...]

                Hi Steve and all,

I am actually using Microsoft Mail for Windows 10 now. Yesterday, I couldn’t use it, but today, I’ve got it down. (At least I think I have).

Persistence pays—plus I found something on the web from Microsoft that describes how to use it with screen readers like JAWS. While things aren’t totally as described, I’ve been able to figure out how to make it work—but I’m sure I’m far from using it fully.

Thank you all again for your input. This list has really helped.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Instead of using a browser for email, why not try a regular Windows mail

program, like Thunderbird, or Windows Live Mail. I would not, however,

recommend the native Windows 10 email client.

Your JAWS will tell you when there is an update, and invite you to

download and install it by activating the appropriate button in the

dialog. Ditto FSCast podcast episodes.

On 4/17/2018 8:32 PM, Shirley Tracy wrote:

> Hi everyone,

> I posted earlier I had bought an all-in-one computer, but got chicken and returned it. The one I have set up now is much more powerful--refurbished but works really well.

> Here are my questions:

> 1. Do you all have trouble using EDGE? I generally use Internet Explorer or I used to sometimes use Firefox. When trying to read email today, I discovered that Edge will show me the messages but won't open the links. Is there a JAWS key that will open them? I'm using Roadrunner email through Mail.brighthouse.com. I'm using Internet Explorer right now, but I'd use Edge if it's possible.

> 2. I installed JAWS 1820 from the disk. I then downloaded the March update from the website. Do I need to download each of the other updates? Or will they be in the March update?

> Windows 10 doesn't seem too difficult. It's just the learning curve that makes it seem daunting.

> Thank you all for your patience. At least I'm trying to learn. (smile).

>   Shirley

David Moore

Hi!

I am so glad you are using the Mail app in Windows 10. I have a tutorial if you want it. It is a text tutorial.

Often, I have to shift+Tab back to my inbox of messages.

Also, if you want to create filters, you can get on the email web site, like Gmail, for example, and easily create the Labels, there, they are called, and they will be synced with the mail app.

Narrator does a great job at reading the search results when you start typing in an email address. You can turn Narrator on right over JAWS, and turn it back off after you find the right email address.

Those are a few tricks that I use.

Take care, and ask any questions.

I fly through a thousand emails a day, and respond, forward, and add attachments.

The mail app is very usable.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Instead of using a browser for email, why not try a regular Windows mail

program, like Thunderbird, or Windows Live Mail. I would not, however,

recommend the native Windows 10 email client.

Your JAWS will tell you when there is an update, and invite you to

download and install it by activating the appropriate button in the

dialog. Ditto FSCast podcast episodes.

On 4/17/2018 8:32 PM, Shirley Tracy wrote:

> Hi everyone,

> I posted earlier I had bought an all-in-one computer, but got chicken and returned it. The one I have set up now is much more powerful--refurbished but works really well.

> Here are my questions:

> 1. Do you all have trouble using EDGE? I generally use Internet Explorer or I used to sometimes use Firefox. When trying to read email today, I discovered that Edge will show me the messages but won't open the links. Is there a JAWS key that will open them? I'm using Roadrunner email through Mail.brighthouse.com. I'm using Internet Explorer right now, but I'd use Edge if it's possible.

> 2. I installed JAWS 1820 from the disk. I then downloaded the March update from the website. Do I need to download each of the other updates? Or will they be in the March update?

> Windows 10 doesn't seem too difficult. It's just the learning curve that makes it seem daunting.

> Thank you all for your patience. At least I'm trying to learn. (smile).

>   Shirley

Shirley Tracy

                David, I would appreciate the tutorial. Today, I had trouble with the reading pane not being spoken in JAWS. I called Microsoft and the rep ran a repair for JAWS (not sure if that was needed or not, but now it works). Since it worked yesterday, I can’t understand what went wrong.

Thanks again.

Shirley

Stracy5@...