moderated Question about caps lock

Van Lant, Robin

I have noticed with both of my installations of JAWS 2018 (one on Windows 7 and one on Win 10) that JAWS does not announce the status of Caps lock on and off as I press the button.  This became particularly problematic earlier today when I was at the Window 7 login screen after having left my computer for a while and my first entry of my password got an error.  I figured caps lock was on, so press the button to remove caps lock, but my password was still incorrect.  I have no idea if caps lock was on or off and ended up locking myself out after several failed attempts of pressing caps lock.  Because I did not know how to figure out if caps lock was on and was afraid the tech support guy was going to have me typing a new password in, I did a hard shutdown hoping to clear it.  As it turned out, I still had Window Eyes set to load at start up, so I was able to get unlocked and logged back in with the ability to check caps lock status.

Why does JAWS not tell the Caps lock status and is there a way to get it to do this?  Window Eyes does it fine.  By extension, I’ve even surprised in say, MS Word, that JAWS does not correctly identify what is happening with commands such as Control B, Control S, etc.  With Window Eyes, it says “Bold on” and “Bold off” or “saving document”.  I really am trying to make the switch to JAWS, but things like this are making me anxious.

Robin

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Michal Nowicki

Robin,

Are you using the desktop or laptop keyboard layout? If you are using the laptop layout, you must press the caps lock twice quickly to toggle it on and off, because the caps lock key is used as the JAWS modifier key.

Best,

Michal

[...]

netbat66

it depends on how the keyboard layout is setup.
desktop or laptop.
and if the jaws key caps lock or insert key is used for the jaws key.
i don't know which configuration will effect the caps lock key.
i am useing the desktop layout but am useing the capslock for the jaws key.
i have to press alt and capslock keys to turn capslock on and off. and the status is spoken when i do this.
another configuration you have to press the capslock twice fast before the status will change and spoken.
the first press is for the jaws key. the second press turns capslock, on or off.

[...]

send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Van Lant, Robin

Ok, this is a strange observation.  I just accidentally pressed alt caps lock and now hear it announcing Caps lock on and caps lock off with the corresponded behavior as I  type.  Wow.  Never would have guessed this.  I’m thinking I have min desktop keyboard layout, but I’m not sure.  I do not recall setting it to laptop layout.

[...]

you are useing the desktop layout but the jaws modifier key has been changed from the insert key to the capslock key.
with this configuration you have to use the alt capslock keys to change the capslock status.

[...]

Jessica D <jldail13@...>

Hi,
I'm using an HP pavillion notebook.
Runing Windthe 10, was upgraded from 7.
2 questions:
1. During the migration, I never had speech, and I lost everything. What can I do?
2. Using NVDA 2018.1.1, the status of my capslock key isn't spoken, and I'm using laptop layout.

Thanks,
Jessica

On Apr 16, 2018 2:30 PM, mnowicki.transactional@... wrote:

[...]

Net bat,
You and I are both using desktop layout and pressing the alt key activates caps lock. Another person mentioned pressing caps lock twice, which mustbe be the method in laptop layout, as that does nothing on my configuration. Glad to have clarification on this. I must have had caps lock on during the login problem earlier and did not know to press alt caps lock to release it. I'll try this next time I'm at a login screen, just to be sure it works there.

[...]

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It
is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing
or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error,
please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety,
whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic
personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the
Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose
such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which
you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from
Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in
the SUBJECT line.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

I don’t know why your system is not announcing CAPSLOCK. Is your system a tablet? The reason I am asking is because some tablets have software which interferes with the way keys act and are announced. I am using a desktop computer, and CAPSLOCK announces just fine.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Just go to Jaws Settings > Basic and tab until you get to the keyboard layout. If it’s on laptop and you want desktop change it here and press OK.

[...]

Ashleigh Piccinino

Could it be that your using the cap’s lock for a JAWS key, so you’d need to press it twice quickly for it to announce as cap’s lock? This setting is only in the PacMate, as far as I know. I don’t know about the laptop keyboard layout, though. Sorry I couldn’t assist more.

Ashleigh S. Piccinino

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in
the SUBJECT line.