moderated JAWS Reading Multiple Words Together in PDF Documents

Rahul Bajaj

Hi everyone,

I am using JAWS 16 on a Windows 10 machine. Very often, JAWS reads
several words together in a PDF document, which makes it impossible to
figure out what it is saying. Is there a way to fix this, except by
way of converting the document into word?

Best,
Rahul

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Rahul. How are you rendering the pdf document? are you using Acrobat Reader DC, or are you using the OCR recognition feature of JAWS to render the document into text? This might have a bearing on how the document is displayed.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

I am using JAWS 16 on a Windows 10 machine. Very often, JAWS reads
several words together in a PDF document, which makes it impossible to
figure out what it is saying. Is there a way to fix this, except by
way of converting the document into word?

Best,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj

Hi, the former - using it with Acrobat reader. it is a searchable pdf.

On 14/04/2018, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:
Hi, Rahul. How are you rendering the pdf document? are you using Acrobat
Reader DC, or are you using the OCR recognition feature of JAWS to render
the document into text? This might have a bearing on how the document is
displayed.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

I am using JAWS 16 on a Windows 10 machine. Very often, JAWS reads
several words together in a PDF document, which makes it impossible to
figure out what it is saying. Is there a way to fix this, except by
way of converting the document into word?

Best,
Rahul

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

My experience with PDF documents is that sometimes, while visually they may look fine, a screen reader will put words together.
Then again, sometimes they are just run together in the PDF.
Try bringing it into Word and see if that helps.
Richard

On Apr 14, 2018, at 2:27 AM, Rahul Bajaj <rahul.bajaj1038@...> wrote:

Hi, the former - using it with Acrobat reader. it is a searchable pdf.

On 14/04/2018, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:
Hi, Rahul. How are you rendering the pdf document? are you using Acrobat
Reader DC, or are you using the OCR recognition feature of JAWS to render
the document into text? This might have a bearing on how the document is
displayed.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

I am using JAWS 16 on a Windows 10 machine. Very often, JAWS reads
several words together in a PDF document, which makes it impossible to
figure out what it is saying. Is there a way to fix this, except by
way of converting the document into word?

Best,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj

I think the sighted are able to read it fine. Converting it into word
is very time-consuming. Is there no other solution?

On 14/04/2018, Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:
My experience with PDF documents is that sometimes, while visually they may
look fine, a screen reader will put words together.
Then again, sometimes they are just run together in the PDF.
Try bringing it into Word and see if that helps.
Richard

“The secret is not to make your music louder, but to make the world
quieter.”

<billwhite92701@...<mailto:billwhite92701@...>>
wrote:
Hi, Rahul. How are you rendering the pdf document? are you using Acrobat
Reader DC, or are you using the OCR recognition feature of JAWS to render
the document into text? This might have a bearing on how the document is
displayed.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...<mailto:billwhite92701@...>

I am using JAWS 16 on a Windows 10 machine. Very often, JAWS reads
several words together in a PDF document, which makes it impossible to
figure out what it is saying. Is there a way to fix this, except by
way of converting the document into word?

Best,
Rahul

Dave...

Do you have any control over the font size that is displayed in Adobe
Reader?

Dave

I am using JAWS 16 on a Windows 10 machine. Very often, JAWS reads
several words together in a PDF document, which makes it impossible to
figure out what it is saying. Is there a way to fix this, except by
way of converting the document into word?

Best,
Rahul

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

If you have JAWS 2018, try highlighting the PDF, press either the Applications key or SHIFT plus F10, arrow down to recognize with JAWS, and press ENTER. Wait for a few minutes, and your document should be rendered and readable.

To save the document, open Word, notepad or some other program which will save text, paste from the clipboard into the program, and save. This often gives better results than Acrobat Reader DC.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

I am using JAWS 16 on a Windows 10 machine. Very often, JAWS reads
several words together in a PDF document, which makes it impossible to
figure out what it is saying. Is there a way to fix this, except by
way of converting the document into word?

Best,
Rahul

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

He stated that he is using Jaws 16 in his original post.
But, upgrading to Jaws 2018, if that is possible, would provide a much better experience.

Richard

I am using JAWS 16 on a Windows 10 machine. Very often, JAWS reads
several words together in a PDF document, which makes it impossible to
figure out what it is saying. Is there a way to fix this, except by
way of converting the document into word?

Best,
Rahul

Tom Behler

I have had this problem too on occasion.

I'm using the latest build of Jaws 2018 with Windows 7 here, and experience this issue with Adobe Acrobat DC.

Converting the file to a Word document sometimes helps, but not always.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan