Topics

moderated File find in windows 7 with jaws 2018

John J. Fioravanti, Jr.

Good morning:

My legal assistant installed a new hard drive on my windows 7 computer with Jaws 2018. When I hit the windows key+F I don't get file find. Can this be fixed and also, if not, how do I find file find under windows programs. Oddly enough, I can't seem to find it.

Thanks very much.

Steve Matzura

I left Windows 7 behind over a year ago, so I can't tell you whether Windows Key plus F was ever file find, but I *can* tell you how to find files.

1. Open Windows Explorer in any way you know how--from the "Computer" icon on the Desktop, or by pressing Windows Key plus E from anywhere on the system.

2. Select, then open, any drive from the displayed list by pressing Up or Down Arrow until you find the drive you want, then pressing ENTER.

3. Press the TAB key until you hear JAWS tell you you are in an edit field.

4. Type any part of the name of the file for which you are looking, and press ENTER. Note, this is not where you can find files by their contents, only their names.

Extra: If you want to find more than one file by partial name, use the keyword "OR", that's O R in uppercase, very important. For example, if I wanted to find files with the letter  groups d o g or c a  t, my search string would look like this:

dog OR cat

Note the word OR was in uppercase.

5. Tab to the list view to access the list of files the system found based on what was typed above.

6. When you're done searching and accessing, press ALT plus F4 to close the Explorer window.

HTH

On 4/7/2018 10:00 AM, John J. Fioravanti, Jr. wrote:

Good morning:

My legal assistant installed a new hard drive on my windows 7 computer with Jaws 2018. When I hit the windows key+F I don't get file find. Can this be fixed and also, if not, how do I find file find under windows programs. Oddly enough, I can't seem to find it.

Thanks very much.

mike mcglashon

Ok,

How do I then search for strings of text within a list of files within a folder?

For instance,

If I have a folder with ten files in it, and,

Say I want to find the strings dog or cat within that list and say only two files have those words in them?

[...]

Terrie Terlau

Hello Steve,

Thank you very much for sharing this info! I didn’t know about the OR and it is great to find out about it.

Thanks for all you do.

Terrie Terlau

[...]

You're most welcome. Always happy and ready to assist.