From: Steve Matzura [mailto:number6@noisynotes.com]
Sent: Monday, Apr 2, 2018 7:23 PM EST
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Thunderbird Weirdness in the Message Pane

Lately I have been noticing some messages just plain don't display at
all. I don't remember changing anything in my T-Bird configuration, but
anything's possible I suppose. Anybody with even half a clue? My View
menu is set to message layout classic, all toolbars checked.

.

Brad Martin

I have this problem with Emails from Costco when I place an order--the order confirmation and order shipment messages. It just reads the subject line. I haven't figured out a solution for this except to read the message in Webmail and not in Thunderbird. That's the only thing I've found where it's a problem.

Brad

On 4/2/2018 6:23 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:
Lately I have been noticing some messages just plain don't display at all. I don't remember changing anything in my T-Bird configuration, but anything's possible I suppose. Anybody with even half a clue? My View menu is set to message layout classic, all toolbars checked.

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Hi,

For a while all my messages received from Ebay by Thunderbird had a blank body but the subject line displayed the details.  The solution is very simple.

I am not in Thunderbird right now so the wording may be a little different from those shown by the program.

Go into View, arrow down to something like, show message body as,  and press enter.  Here there is a list of file types and you probably have it set to display messages in text so change it to simple html and hopefully your problem is fixed.

HTH

Tom

I have this problem with Emails from Costco when I place an order--the order confirmation and order shipment messages. It just reads the subject line. I haven't figured out a solution for this except to read the message in Webmail and not in Thunderbird. That's the only thing I've found where it's a problem.

Brad

On 4/2/2018 6:23 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:

Lately I have been noticing some messages just plain don't display at all. I don't remember changing anything in my T-Bird configuration, but anything's possible I suppose. Anybody with even half a clue? My View menu is set to message layout classic, all toolbars checked.

Steve Matzura

On 4/3/2018 7:26 AM, Tom wrote:

Go into View, arrow down to something like, show message body as,  and press enter.  Here there is a list of file types and you probably have it set to display messages in text so change it to simple html and hopefully your problem is fixed.

Sorry to report it didn't solve the problem. In fact, I tried all three choices--original HTML, simple HTML, and text. However, I have noticed that if a message has no links in it, that's when I get a no-content message body in the message pane (F6). The workaround for now is to open the message by pressing ENTER, reading the message as if I had pressed F6 when it worked correctly, then pressing Control-W to close that window. Annoying, but it does work until I figure out what I broke (LOL).

Steve Matzura

I think I fixed it, but I don't know how or why. I changed my view from classic to vertical. Now, everything reads correctly in the F6 window. It may have been set to vertical view when I installed it, but somehow I changed it to classic view. I absolutely do not remember how, why, or when.

On 4/3/2018 9:09 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:
On 4/3/2018 7:26 AM, Tom wrote:

Go into View, arrow down to something like, show message body as,  and press enter.  Here there is a list of file types and you probably have it set to display messages in text so change it to simple html and hopefully your problem is fixed.

Sorry to report it didn't solve the problem. In fact, I tried all three choices--original HTML, simple HTML, and text. However, I have noticed that if a message has no links in it, that's when I get a no-content message body in the message pane (F6). The workaround for now is to open the message by pressing ENTER, reading the message as if I had pressed F6 when it worked correctly, then pressing Control-W to close that window. Annoying, but it does work until I figure out what I broke (LOL).

Tom <tomcat509@...>

I never use F6 in Thunderbird.  If not already in the desired folder, I just arrow to the folder containing the message inbox to be read, press tab to enter the message folder, arrow to the message to be read and press enter.

When in a message, I deal with it at the time. i.e. Save it for further reference, reply to it and then delete it. The next message is then ready to be read after pressing enter.

In this manner the inbox does not become cluttered.

HTH

Tom

Go into View, arrow down to something like, show message body as,  and press enter.  Here there is a list of file types and you probably have it set to display messages in text so change it to simple html and hopefully your problem is fixed.

Sorry to report it didn't solve the problem. In fact, I tried all three choices--original HTML, simple HTML, and text. However, I have noticed that if a message has no links in it, that's when I get a no-content message body in the message pane (F6). The workaround for now is to open the message by pressing ENTER, reading the message as if I had pressed F6 when it worked correctly, then pressing Control-W to close that window. Annoying, but it does work until I figure out what I broke (LOL).

Steve Matzura

Pressing ENTER is kind of the same as pressing F6. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I am finding it mostly doesn't work if the message has no links in it.