moderated help required for remembering passwords

Val Paul

Hi Everyone!

Recently i've found that i've become terrible at remembering passwords for different things and sites, does anyone have any suggestions?

Val.

Tom Behler

Val:

I have so many user names and passwords that I have resorted to creating a document listing them all. I store this document on a separate external hard drive that only I have access to. Of course, you could store the list on a thumb drive if that would be easier.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Val Paul
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2018 10:35 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: help required for remembering passwords

Hi Everyone!

Recently i've found that i've become terrible at remembering passwords for different things and sites, does anyone have any suggestions?

Val.

Val Paul

Hi Tom!

Thanks for that. I'll try and remember the passwords long enough to do this.

The problem is, i've got so much on my mind with hubby being so ill, that nothing seems to stay in my head long enough.

Val.

On 31/03/2018 15:38, Tom Behler wrote:
Val:

I have so many user names and passwords that I have resorted to creating a document listing them all. I store this document on a separate external hard drive that only I have access to. Of course, you could store the list on a thumb drive if that would be easier.

Hi Everyone!

Val.

Brice Mijares <bricemijares@...>

I keep user names and passwords on a thumb drive.

On 3/31/2018 7:34 AM, Val Paul wrote:
Hi Everyone!
Val.

cecropia64

Hey Val:

I have a flash drive that I use to keep all my passwords on. This way they aren't on the computer and they're at my disposal. It works well.

Stew

On 3/31/2018 10:34 AM, Val Paul wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Val.

Steve Matzura

KeePass, LastPass, and my particular favorite, 1Password.

Hi Everyone!

Val.

Steve Matzura

That's exactly why you need a password manager, not a document you have to mess around with.

On 3/31/2018 10:49 AM, Val Paul wrote:
Hi Tom!

The problem is, i've got so much on my mind with hubby being so ill, that nothing seems to stay in my head long enough.

Val.

Val:

I have so many user names and passwords that I have resorted to creating a document listing them all.  I store this document on a separate external hard drive that only I have access to.  Of course, you could store the list on a thumb drive if that would be easier.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Hi Everyone!

Val.

Val Paul

How do they work, and how do you get that?

Val.

On 31/03/2018 16:12, Steve Matzura wrote:
That's exactly why you need a password manager, not a document you have to mess around with.

Hi Tom!

Val.

Val:

I have so many user names and passwords that I have resorted to creating a document listing them all.  I store this document on a separate external hard drive that only I have access to.  Of course, you could store the list on a thumb drive if that would be easier.

Hi Everyone!

Val.

Tom Behler

Steve:

Perhaps I'm old and not as informed as I should be, but my problem with these password manager programs is that if someone somehow gets your credentials, they will suddenly have access to all of your passwords.

If I'm in error about this, please let me know.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2018 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: help required for remembering passwords

Hi Everyone!

Recently i've found that i've become terrible at remembering passwords
for different things and sites, does anyone have any suggestions?

Val.

Steve Matzura

A password manager is an application program that runs on a computer, phone, or tablet. It encrypts and can generate passwords for Websites and other things, all of which are stored in a single file called a password vault, store, or locker. On Mac OS, passwords are stored in an object called a keychain, which is really the same thing as the aforementioned. Every time a Website is visited and a password to log in is required, the user presses a special key combination to wake up the password manager, which prompts the user for the master password to unlock the password store, and the password manager puts the login information into the Web form and dispatches it.

Some password managers, like 1Pass and LastPass, store other kinds of private and protectable information, like software licenses and registrations, credit cards, etc. These items must be manually retrieved when needed since there is no way to tell an information manager where and how a piece of data can or should be exposed. Websites are a specific case, though.

You can search for more password managers, but these three have been found to be very usable and accessible:

1Password, http://www.1password.com

KeePass, http://www.keepass.info

LastPass, http://www.lastpass.com

HTH

On 3/31/2018 11:15 AM, Val Paul wrote:

Val.

Hi Tom!

Val.

Val:

Hi Everyone!

Val.

Cristóbal

Use a password manager. This topic has come up quite a bit on this list in the past with accessible options mentioned such as 1Password, LastPass being the more popular ones along with others.
I personally use 1Password which has individual as well as family plans.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Val Paul
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2018 7:35 AM

Hi Everyone!

Val.

Steve Matzura

Tom, unfortunately you're correct, which is why you mitigate the risk by making that master password very ver'r'r'ry secure. Granted, there's risk in everything when it comes to password management, but since there are so many ways a password, even a long one, can be obfuscated, it pays to remember just one fancy one instead of half a hundred shorter ones. Substituting punctuation symbols for letters is a common method, and since there are so many symbols and so many ways to use and combine them, even brute-force attacks won't be of much use.

On 3/31/2018 11:26 AM, Tom Behler wrote:
Steve:

Perhaps I'm old and not as informed as I should be, but my problem with these password manager programs is that if someone somehow gets your credentials, they will suddenly have access to all of your passwords.

Tom Behler

Hi Everyone!

Val.

Cristóbal

You should in theory have different passwords for each separate account. Thus making the use of a password manager that much more important. That and password mamangers are usually going to have other safeguards in place like requiring a master password in order for you to gain access to your log-in info. Two factor authentication, etc. I think LastPass suffered a breach a couple of years ago, but don’t' believe people suffered damage.
Documents can get corruptedd, lost, accidentally deleted. External drives can fail or get lost or be taken over by malware and so on. Different strokes for different folks ultimately, but I’m not too keen on just having one document with all that info in one single place like a flash or external drive

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2018 8:27 AM

Steve:

Tom Behler

Hi Everyone!

Val.

Steve Matzura

And thereby hangs another tail. Some password managers, like 1Password version 6, do store password vaults in the cloud, making the same vault accessible to multiple devices. Some don't like cloud-based password storage, so there's 1Password version 4, which stores your personal vault locally. Oh yes, forgot to mention, many password managers allow multiple vaults, so if you're really manic about security, you can store different things in different vaults, each of which has a separate password. And no, the password manager isn't smart enough to tell if you use the same password on multiple vaults. <grin>..

On 3/31/2018 11:44 AM, Cristóbal wrote:
Use a password manager. This topic has come up quite a bit on this list in the past with accessible options mentioned such as 1Password, LastPass being the more popular ones along with others.
I personally use 1Password which has individual as well as family plans.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Val Paul
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2018 7:35 AM

Hi Everyone!

Val.

paul lemm

Hi,

Another thing I would quickly add on this subject, any IT security person will tell you that storing all your passwords in one file be it on your hard drive or a separate thumb drive is probably the least safe option, since if a hacker wants this information its fairly easy to get and its all in one place with absolutely no security , if you store it on an external hard drive/flash drive and worst case situation you get burgled potentially if they steal your external drive or whatever your password is on, again you've given them everything in one neat little file that they don't even need a password to access.

Paul

Sent: 31 March 2018 16:27

Steve:

Tom Behler

Hi Everyone!

Val.

Val Paul

Hi Guys!

that's the trouble, i can never think of one which you could say was master secure, and if i did, i'd probably have forgotten it about 10 minutes later.

Val.

On 31/03/2018 16:49, Steve Matzura wrote:
Tom, unfortunately you're correct, which is why you mitigate the risk by making that master password very ver'r'r'ry secure. Granted, there's risk in everything when it comes to password management, but since there are so many ways a password, even a long one, can be obfuscated, it pays to remember just one fancy one instead of half a hundred shorter ones. Substituting punctuation symbols for letters is a common method, and since there are so many symbols and so many ways to use and combine them, even brute-force attacks won't be of much use.

On 3/31/2018 11:26 AM, Tom Behler wrote:
Steve:

Tom Behler

Hi Everyone!

Val.

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

If you are not using a password manager then the safest option for us blind folks would probably be a list of passwords with their corresponding user names and websites or purposes in braille and having said braille volume mixed in with some other braille stuff. Of course you would also not want to publically announce where you keep it like all of those people who have explained how they keep their passwords probably in clear text like a Notepad file on an external drive or USB stick. Of course it does greatly limit the risk because as was said, somebody would actually have to know where you live, break in and steal said drive but if I have to plug in my drive each time I am looking for a password that to me is pretty inconvenient. If you leave the drive plugged in then a good hacker could probably gain access to it as easily or easier than hacking the servers of Lastpass, OnePassword or Roboform. The ladder has been my password manager of choice and I'm surprised that it never comes up in the discussions about password managers.

Regards,
Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of paul lemm
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2018 9:28 AM

Hi,

Another thing I would quickly add on this subject, any IT security person will tell you that storing all your passwords in one file be it on your hard drive or a separate thumb drive is probably the least safe option, since if a hacker wants this information its fairly easy to get and its all in one place with absolutely no security , if you store it on an external hard drive/flash drive and worst case situation you get burgled potentially if they steal your external drive or whatever your password is on, again you've given them everything in one neat little file that they don't even need a password to access.

Paul

Steve:

Tom Behler

Hi Everyone!

Val.

Val Paul

Hi Paul!

You've certainly got a point!

Will have to think really hard about this one!

Val.

On 31/03/2018 17:27, paul lemm wrote:
Hi,

Paul

Steve:

Tom Behler

Hi Everyone!

Val.

Elaine Young <hidden_spring@...>

I've been following this thread with great interest.  Thanks for all of you for sharing. I'd like to add that saving passwords in   braille feels pretty safe to me. With all the other braille notes and pages that float around my office, no burglar is likely to know which one to take- nor is he likely to take the time to research braille to crack my notes. smile.

Granted it is more work for me to look up than would be a password manager but security is more important to me than convenience.  JMO

Elaine

On 3/31/2018 12:27 PM, paul lemm wrote:
Hi,

Paul

Steve:

Tom Behler

Hi Everyone!

Val.

--
Real true faith is man's weakness leaning on God's strength. - D. L. Moody

Gudrun Brunot

Hey, Steve, that's the most succinct explanation I've ever come across. I've been missing that particular bit about typing in the master password from the actual website you're trying to log on to. I always wondered what the magic was when the website-specific password didn't automatically go in. Thanks for that clarification that, somehow, I wasn't smart enough to think of.

Happy Easter.

Gudrun

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2018 8:41 AM

A password manager is an application program that runs on a computer, phone, or tablet. It encrypts and can generate passwords for Websites and other things, all of which are stored in a single file called a password vault, store, or locker. On Mac OS, passwords are stored in an object called a keychain, which is really the same thing as the aforementioned. Every time a Website is visited and a password to log in is required, the user presses a special key combination to wake up the password manager, which prompts the user for the master password to unlock the password store, and the password manager puts the login information into the Web form and dispatches it.

Some password managers, like 1Pass and LastPass, store other kinds of private and protectable information, like software licenses and registrations, credit cards, etc. These items must be manually retrieved when needed since there is no way to tell an information manager where and how a piece of data can or should be exposed. Websites are a specific case, though.

You can search for more password managers, but these three have been found to be very usable and accessible:

1Password, http://www.1password.com

KeePass, http://www.keepass.info

LastPass, http://www.lastpass.com

HTH

On 3/31/2018 11:15 AM, Val Paul wrote:

Val.

That's exactly why you need a password manager, not a document you
have to mess around with.

Hi Tom!

Thanks for that. I'll try and remember the passwords long enough to
do this.

The problem is, i've got so much on my mind with hubby being so ill,
that nothing seems to stay in my head long enough.

Val.

Val:

I have so many user names and passwords that I have resorted to
creating a document listing them all. I store this document on a
separate external hard drive that only I have access to. Of
course, you could store the list on a thumb drive if that would be
easier.