Topics

Texting App or program

Gene Stevens

I’m useing Windows 10 on a non touch computer and wish to be able to send SMS messages to and from a phone. I’ve tryed Text Free and it doesn’t seem to be at all accessable. Does anyone have any ideas on what to use besides Yahoo messenger, that doesn’t work, or Skype which I have to pay for?

Gene

Mario

Gene, you can send a text to a smart phone from your PC using an email client like Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, Outlook, etc. you type the 10 digit number@carrier's texting gateway.

here is a site that allows you to type in an individual phone number and get the Free SMS gateway address. the proper sms gateway beginning with the ten digit phone number will be displayed.

http://www.freesmsgateway.info/

On 5/14/2016 4:01 PM, Gene Stevens wrote:
I’m useing Windows 10 on a non touch computer and wish to be able to
send SMS messages to and from a phone. I’ve tryed Text Free and it
doesn’t seem to be at all accessable. Does anyone have any ideas on what
to use besides Yahoo messenger, that doesn’t work, or Skype which I have
to pay for?

Gene

Gene,

           In addition to Mario's excellent suggestion you might want to look into Google Hangouts if you have a Google Account.  I believe if you use the web interface instead of the App it's accessible (for all I know the App may now be accessible via Narrator or using the touch cursor).

           You end up selecting a phone number, for no charge, and people can text you directly via that number.  I use my Google Voice/Google Hangouts number far more often than my actual cell phone for texting.

Brian
--
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when looked at in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
     ~  Poul Anderson

Gene Stevens

Thanks.

That worked well. It will do for the moment. I'm one of those stubborn old ones who has resisted the addition of a smart phone and touch technology for to long now.Looks like it's time to bite the bullet and go there. LOL.

Gene, you can send a text to a smart phone from your PC using an email
client like Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, Outlook, etc. you type the
10 digit number@carrier's texting gateway.

here is a site that allows you to type in an individual phone number and
get the Free SMS gateway address. the proper sms gateway beginning with
the ten digit phone number will be displayed.

http://www.freesmsgateway.info/

On 5/14/2016 4:01 PM, Gene Stevens wrote:
I’m useing Windows 10 on a non touch computer and wish to be able to
send SMS messages to and from a phone. I’ve tryed Text Free and it
doesn’t seem to be at all accessable. Does anyone have any ideas on what
to use besides Yahoo messenger, that doesn’t work, or Skype which I have
to pay for?

Gene

Gene Stevens

Thanks, I’ll look into this option.

Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2016 5:54 PM

Gene,

           In addition to Mario's excellent suggestion you might want to look into Google Hangouts if you have a Google Account.  I believe if you use the web interface instead of the App it's accessible (for all I know the App may now be accessible via Narrator or using the touch cursor).

           You end up selecting a phone number, for no charge, and people can text you directly via that number.  I use my Google Voice/Google Hangouts number far more often than my actual cell phone for texting.

Brian
--
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when looked at in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
     Poul Anderson

Gene,

           Also, one advantage to Google Hangouts is that you will automatically receive an e-mail message when someone texts you that contains the text itself and to which you can reply directly and it gets shot back to their phone.  The one thing you have to remember, though, is that texts do have a 160-character limit.  If you type more than this it will be split across multiple sequential texts.

           The multiple split text situation is not rare, but it makes things confusing since the texts show up "in reverse order" since the first 160 characters get sent first, followed by however many more text messages are needed, each snagging up to 160 characters each.  These show up in your inbox (whether e-mail or text inbox) with the last segment of the message appearing first, working its way back down to the first 160 characters.

Brian
--
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when looked at in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
     ~  Poul Anderson

Cristóbal

Google Voice/Hangouts is really quite useful and flexible.

I use my business phone number as a texting number for my business and have texts come to my main  business email.

I just save my vendors text generated emails as an alternative email address in their contact info and can then reach out either via Outlook, the web interface or on my iPhone.

I am thinking of getting an 800 number, but that’s probably a different thread all together.

[...]

HH. Smith Jr.

Good Morning Gene,

I use Text Message+ and it works pretty well for me.

I’m useing Windows 10 on a non touch computer and wish to be able to send SMS messages to and from a phone. I’ve tryed Text Free and it doesn’t seem to be at all accessable. Does anyone have any ideas on what to use besides Yahoo messenger, that doesn’t work, or Skype which I have to pay for?

Gene

HH. Smith Jr.

Oh! Its free