Reading text in Windows 10 Settings application

Jason White

Although everything which receives focus in the Settings application can be
read with JAWS, the JAWS cursor and Insert+B commands are unable to review any
of the text.

There are situations in which I need to read text that does not receive focus.
For example, when "yes" and "no" buttons are presented, I need to read the
text that precedes them so as to understand the question asked.

Is there a known solution?

Jason,

            Have you tried hitting the F1 button to see if Microsoft has put help text on these controls that matches what the control labels are?  That is a common, if not universal, practice.

            If that does work would you please report back on what dialog(s) you've used it with?

Brian
--
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when looked at in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
     ~  Poul Anderson

Hi,
Touch cursor is the best around solution for this.
Cheers,
Joseph

Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:

            Have you tried hitting the F1 button to see if Microsoft has put
help text on these controls that matches what the control labels are?  That
is a common, if not universal, practice.

Thanks. I'll try it. I'll also investigate the use of the touch cursor in this
context.

Jason White

Here's a good example of the kind that Brian suggested:

The option to enable developer mode in Settings displays a warning, then
prompts the user to confirm. I selected "no" for now (I may need to revisit
this when the update is released that allows Linux software to be installed).

Jason White

Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> wrote:
Touch cursor is the best around solution for this.

This is just an appreciative note to say that the touch cursor did indeed
provide access to the text that couldn't be read with the JAWS cursor.

This result is almost certain to confuse users, especially newcomers who
reasonably expect the JAWS cursor to be able to read the text in a window.

My informed guess is that User Interface Automation, most likely, is giving
JAWS access to the objects displayed by the application, but the techniques
used to review the screen with the JAWS cursor (an off-screen model or
whatever is used nowadays) don't work in this and certain other recent
applications. This difference is being passed on to the users.