Windows 10 settings

Ralph Supernaw

Hi,

I am about to get Windows 10 on my computer.  I remember something being said about Windows 10 allowing my computer processer to be used by Microsoft as some sort of distributed network.  I know that’s vague but I don’t know the proper terminology.  My question is what adjustment to settings do I need to make in order to prevent this?

Thanks.

I believe what you're referring to is in the Updates & Security Dialog, Windows Updates Pane, under the Advanced Options Link.   Once you have opened the Advanced Options dialog, there is a link that reads "Choose How Updates are Delivered," activate it.   In the dialog that comes up you have a Toggle Switch that tells you that when it's turned on your computer may send part or all of updates it has already downloaded to either other computers on your local network or on your local network and the internet, depending on what you have selected in the radio button group below.

That radio button group lets you select PCs on my local network or PCs on my local network and PCs on the internet.

If you anticipate even the possibility of having more than one Windows 10 machine on your local network it makes no sense to turn this feature off entirely, since you could save time and data traffic by allowing computers only on your local network to exchange Windows Updates with each other rather than making each download the same update on its own.  I have that feature turned on, but with the "PCs on my local network" radio button checked so that I'm not serving as a potential Windows Update server to the world at large.

Brian
--
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when looked at in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
     ~  Poul Anderson