PDF email attachments

Laura Richardson

Hello,

I received an email attachment that is in a PDF format.  I was wondering if somebody could please tell me what to do so I can read this?  I use Windows 7, Jaws 15, and Microsoft Outlook 2010.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Laura

"Kevin Hourigan " <kevinthourigan@...>

Hello Laura,

Press insert, spacebar, and O. That should open up the O C R feature, and you press s to start the reading. I am not familiar with the latest and greatest version of O C R so you may wish to go to the webinars at FS, and review the one regarding O CR.

If you have Open Book and the Freedom Import Printer, Press control plus P, arrow to the Freedom Import Printer, and press enter. Then press alt tab to go where the document has been opened.

Cheers Kevin.

I received an email attachment that is in a PDF format.  I was wondering if somebody could please tell me what to do so I can read this?  I use Windows 7, Jaws 15, and Microsoft Outlook 2010.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Laura

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

It should open in Acrobat Reader.  If not, save it and open it yourself.  If you have Office 2013 or higher, you have the option of opening it as a Word document, if that melts your butter.  you can also convert it with JAWS 16 or higher, if necessary.

Ted

I received an email attachment that is in a PDF format.  I was wondering if somebody could please tell me what to do so I can read this?  I use Windows 7, Jaws 15, and Microsoft Outlook 2010.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Laura

Laura,

          Also know that if you open something in Adobe Reader and you get the statement "blank" from JAWS it's almost certainly an old PDF that was scanned as an image PDF, which means each page, even if it's entirely composed of text is, for all practical intents and purposes, a picture.  If you know that the content is text then you will need to run OCR on the document before it can be read.

           Even thought you can open PDFs using more recent versions of MS-Office, I believe that only works for PDF files that already have a text layer and are searchable.  If someone can try to open a PDF file that they know to be an image PDF using Office and report back I'd love to know exactly what office does and whether there's any "behind the scenes" OCR as part of the conversion process.  I'm suspecting not.

Brian
--
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when looked at in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
     ~  Poul Anderson

Jeanette McAllister PhD

I tag a lot of PDFs to make them accessible. I'm still stuck on Adobe XI, I have no desire to switch. If I go to accessibility and run a scan it will tell me what needs to be tagged.
I agree with Brian, if it's actually an image file you will probably need to use OCR.

Dr. Jeanette McAllister
(757) 346-0708
Sent from Outlook Mobile

_____________________________

[...]

Brian,

When I opened the PDF attachment and tried to read it Jaws did what you said, it said “blank”.  Since I didn’t know what OCR was and have never used this I did a Google search.  The information I found said to press insert + space bar, O, D to run OCR.

Could you please tell me if this information is correct before I try this? ...... If this is not correct, could you tell me how to use OCR to read PDF documents?

Often I’m hesitant to try things because it could be several days before I would have a sighted person available to help if something messes up and my computer won’t talk to me.

[...]

           To be perfectly honest I very, very seldom have clients do OCR using JAWS itself, but in consulting my Keyboard Shortcuts document the Recognize Current  PDF Document is INSERT+Spacebar, followed by O and then D.  The Announce Help Message for OCR commands is INSERT+Spacebar, followed by O and then the question mark.

           I don't even know if JAWS OCR results can be permanently saved with the file that's just been OCR-ed.  Someone can surely say whether they can or cannot that uses the feature with some frequency.

           I use a third party PDF Viewer that isn't very accessible from a "use it as a PDF reader with a screen reader" perspective, but its OCR function is excellent, allows you to save the resulting text layer with the original file for later use.  That OCR function is completely accessible, too.

Brian
--
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when looked at in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
     ~  Poul Anderson

Laura Richardson

Brian,

Sorry if I seem a bit dippy (LOL) but I’m still confused.  Also, I use a desktop keyboard for my laptop computer …… I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to hold down the space bar and the insert key on the numb pad at the same time while pressing O and D.

[...]

Shan Noyes

No he do not have to hold all those keys down at the same time you do insert plus the then release them and then you could the letter old for OCR and then it'll ask you what to say Dan any D for document

Sent from my iPhone

On May 13, 2016, at 8:29 PM, Laura Richardson <laurakr65@...> wrote:

[...]

          Each of us has been dippy at one point or another in our lives!!

          You don't hold down all four keys at once.  The description from the shortcut file I gave earlier is accurate.  It's INSERT+Spacebar, [release that dual key press], followed by O, [release that letter O], followed by D [release that letter D].  The same for the announce help messages for OCR except that final character is a question mark instead of a D.

           There are some triple and quadruple key presses that are for very rarely used commands that one doesn't ever want to trigger unintentionally.  In that case it would be written with the plus sign between all three or four keys, an artificial example would be something like INSERT+CTRL+SHIFT+NumPad Multiply.

Brian
--
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when looked at in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
     ~  Poul Anderson

Laura Richardson

Brian,

Ding! (smile); I understand now but am somewhat frustrated …… The first time I opened this attachment Jaws said “blank” and now when I open the attachment it tells me “Alert: Empty document” and when I try to run OCR it says there is no document (sigh).  I’m very appreciative for your help and others who have given input on this and hope y’all will be able to help me resolve this issue.

It’s getting late in my time zone so I think I’ll call it a night and try again in the morning.

[...]

          It's late in my time zone (Eastern US), too.  Let me know how things go tomorrow.  Also, if any one of those PDF files is not of a private nature feel free to e-mail me one.  I can take a look at the thing and see what, if anything, PDF XChange Viewer can do with it as far as OCR.

          By the way, a serious answer to your earlier question about how you'd do a triple or quadruple key press when needed is:  with two hands.  That's the only way I can succeed at doing them.

Brian
--
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when looked at in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
     ~  Poul Anderson

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Laura. RoboBraille.org does well with these type of pdf documents. If you go to robobraille.org, upload the pdf, select the type of file you want the pdf to be converted to, and choose accessible format, it will send you an email with an accessible attachment. I have found Robobraille to be very good at converting pdf's with fewer errors than many of the OCR conversion tools.

You will first need to save the pdf attachment to your computer as a file so that you can upload it to the website.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13487 (20160513) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13487 (20160513) __________

http://www.eset.com

Les Kriegler <kriegler@...>

Hi Laura,

You are correct. Insert-Space, O and D will scan a multiple page document. Insert-O, space and C will scan a single page. I did try the first option the other day on a pdf document that was reported as blank, and Jaws reported, OCR Failed to Start, so I could not complete the process on that pdf file. It was Dragon Naturally Speaking documentation which I was unable to scan.

Les

[...]

Brian, the only way to save a scanned PDF file done by Jaws is to copy the text to the Windows clipboard and paste it into another document.

Les

[...]

Laura, you press insert Space, lift up those keys, then press O followed by D.

Les

[...]

Les Kriegler wrote, ". . . the only way to save a scanned PDF file done by Jaws is to copy the text to the Windows clipboard and paste it into another document."

This is good to know, especially if someone prefers to have the text saved in another file format. It also vindicates my decision, made long ago, not to use JAWS OCR when the client wants the PDF file to have the OCR text permanently saved with it and intends to access it on a repeated basis.

Brian
--
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when looked at in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
     ~  Poul Anderson

Jason White

Jeanette McAllister PhD <Jeanette@mcallisterenterprisesusa.com> wrote:
I agree with Brian, if it's actually an image file you will probably need to use OCR.

And you can do this with JAWS key + Space, o, d.

This will process the entire document with OCR. (JAWS 16 and later.)

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Have you tried copying all of what JAWS says is blank, pasting into a word document and see if you can read it?

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

You said Insert Space and O, but on the next one, Insert O then Space. I am assuming that it is Insert-Space-O-D and Insert-Space-O-C?

Bye for now,

Carolyn