Downloading and installing Vocalizer Expressive voices.

Shane clark

Hi Everyone,
I'm currently running Jaws Professional 17.0.2007. I went to the page to download the vocalizer voices, but I'm not sure where to find them 2 install them. I clicked on the link, butt I'm not able to go any further from here. Any help is greatly appreciated on how to continue the install.
Thanks, Shane.

Jason White

Shane clark <hshaneclark@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm currently running Jaws Professional 17.0.2007. I went to the page to
download the vocalizer voices, but I'm not sure where to find them 2
install them. I clicked on the link, butt I'm not able to go any further
from here.

If you're on the correct page, you'll find two combo boxes, one to select the
voices (you want Vocalizer Expressive) and another to choose the language.
Once you've done this, you should be able to navigate through the page to find
the download links. The next step is to download the installer, run it, and
follow the prompts to complete the installation. Finally, restart JAWS and
select the new voice in your voice profile.

I hope something in the above explanation helps you to move beyond whatever
the problem might be.

Shane clark

Hi Jason,
Thanks very much for the explanation, I was able to do the install. For some reason, I was having trouble finding the dialog box which asked me to either save or run the file. Butt after a few more attempts, I was able to get it going.
When it ask me to restart Jaws, I did an alt f4, butt when starting the computer back up, I had trouble getting speech to come back on. So I had to get my wife to help me with this. Should I have quit Jaws in some other way? I'm going to be taking a refresher course in Jaws in the next few weeks starting on Tuesday. I still remember a good bit about how to navigate with it, but haven't worked with Windows 10 before. The commission for the blind, just delivered the computer yesterday, so I'm just wondering are there any other new things I need to know about with the new features in Jaws 17 and Windows 10?
Thanks, Shane.

On Thu, May 12, 2016, 12:23 PM Jason White via Groups.io <jason=jasonjgw.net@groups.io> wrote:
Shane clark <hshaneclark@...> wrote:
> I'm currently running Jaws Professional 17.0.2007. I went to the page to
> download the vocalizer voices, but I'm not sure where to find them 2
> install them. I clicked on the link, butt I'm not able to go any further
> from here.

If you're on the correct page, you'll find two combo boxes, one to select the
voices (you want Vocalizer Expressive) and another to choose the language.
Once you've done this, you should be able to navigate through the page to find
the download links. The next step is to download the installer, run it, and
follow the prompts to complete the installation. Finally, restart JAWS and
select the new voice in your voice profile.

I hope something in the above explanation helps you to move beyond whatever
the problem might be.

Soronel Haetir

An easy way to restart jaws is to hit jaws+windows+f4.

That has worked for many years now.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Jason White

Shane clark <hshaneclark@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks very much for the explanation, I was able to do the install. For
some reason, I was having trouble finding the dialog box which asked me to
either save or run the file. Butt after a few more attempts, I was able to
get it going.

Which browser is set as your default? Make sure it is not Microsoft Edge,
which won't be very accessible at least until the next major Windows 10
update.

are there any other new things I need to know about with the new features
in Jaws 17 and Windows 10?

The desktop and the start menu will be different from whatever you've
experienced in older versions of Windows. There is a new settings application
for configuring your system (new, at least, since Windows 7, which is my point
of comparison). There are other major and minor differences - it all depends
on what you've used previously.

The Windows 7 system at work only arrived this week, so I'm also new to it.