moderated Windows 10 and Jaws 2018

John J. Fioravanti, Jr.

Hi: I just purchased the following laptop with windows 10. Dell XPS 13-9360 - 1511338729-NW

Intel Quad-Core i7-8550u Processor
16GB DDR4 2133mhz Ram
512 SSD Hard Drive
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
Intel UHD Graphics 620
Jaws is lagging. For instance, after restart, it takes 15 seconds for jaws to come up. When I hit the fingerprint it takes jaws time to come up. I called Freedom with no success. I tried to set Jaws as a priority but when I restart that setting doesn't stick. Does anyone have any suggestions, and have you been able to make jaws as a priority remain as set?
Thank you.

Nino Dagostino

Hi:

You could try starting Jaws as a service, that might help

I wish I could tell you how to do that.

I will do some investigation to try to help.

The other thing to check is to see if fast startup is checked.

Check in task manager to see if there things that are running that you don't need.
If I think of any thing else I will let you know.

Hi: I just purchased the following laptop with windows 10. Dell XPS 13-9360 - 1511338729-NW

Intel Quad-Core i7-8550u Processor
16GB DDR4 2133mhz Ram
512 SSD Hard Drive
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
Intel UHD Graphics 620
Jaws is lagging. For instance, after restart, it takes 15 seconds for jaws to come up. When I hit the fingerprint it takes jaws time to come up. I called Freedom with no success. I tried to set Jaws as a priority but when I restart that setting doesn't stick. Does anyone have any suggestions, and have you been able to make jaws as a priority remain as set?
Thank you.

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

I don't have an SSD drive, but Jaws takes a lot more than 15 seconds to start up, so I'm envious.

Richard

Hi: I just purchased the following laptop with windows 10. Dell XPS 13-9360 - 1511338729-NW

Intel Quad-Core i7-8550u Processor
16GB DDR4 2133mhz Ram
512 SSD Hard Drive
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
Intel UHD Graphics 620
Jaws is lagging. For instance, after restart, it takes 15 seconds for jaws to come up. When I hit the fingerprint it takes jaws time to come up. I called Freedom with no success. I tried to set Jaws as a priority but when I restart that setting doesn't stick. Does anyone have any suggestions, and have you been able to make jaws as a priority remain as set?
Thank you.

Tony

I have a desktop with similar CPU and twice the RAM and SSD. It takes more than 50 seconds for Jaws to talk.

Dell tells me that is normal with Windows 10 Pro.

Tony

I don't have an SSD drive, but Jaws takes a lot more than 15 seconds to start up, so I'm envious.

Richard

Hi: I just purchased the following laptop with windows 10. Dell XPS 13-9360 - 1511338729-NW

Intel Quad-Core i7-8550u Processor
16GB DDR4 2133mhz Ram
512 SSD Hard Drive
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
Intel UHD Graphics 620
Jaws is lagging. For instance, after restart, it takes 15 seconds for jaws to come up. When I hit the fingerprint it takes jaws time to come up. I called Freedom with no success. I tried to set Jaws as a priority but when I restart that setting doesn't stick. Does anyone have any suggestions, and have you been able to make jaws as a priority remain as set?
Thank you.

Hi,
To me, that's not normal, although for a while it has become normal for JAWS to start with some delay (likely to fire up components). To really test this is a JAWS thing, try with Narrator and see if makes sense.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Do you mean 15 seconds after you put in your password? If so then that is pretty normal, takes about the same on my Asus Zenbook which has similar specs than your laptop except my I7 CPU is probably a generation or so before yours. Jaws starts a bit faster with Windows 7, but with Windows 10 that seems to be the way it is.

Hi: I just purchased the following laptop with windows 10. Dell XPS 13-9360 - 1511338729-NW

Intel Quad-Core i7-8550u Processor
16GB DDR4 2133mhz Ram
512 SSD Hard Drive
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
Intel UHD Graphics 620
Jaws is lagging. For instance, after restart, it takes 15 seconds for jaws to come up. When I hit the fingerprint it takes jaws time to come up. I called Freedom with no success. I tried to set Jaws as a priority but when I restart that setting doesn't stick. Does anyone have any suggestions, and have you been able to make jaws as a priority remain as set?
Thank you.

John J. Fioravanti, Jr.

In windows 10, is there a jaws keystroke to start Narrator?

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

In Windows 10, the Command to start Narrator is

CONTROL key plus WINDOWS key plus ENTER.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com