Braille Display Question

Joe DiNero

Good Afternoon

I will preface this message by saying that I am a former low vision user who has become a non vision user and sort of new to many things. Raille displays is one of those where I am absolutely clueless are there any online resources for some sort of primer on the basics of them? Also I am in the market for one so my basic question is since I am purchasing one on my own and budget is of concern I am looking for a second hand model. Having said that do braille displays become obsolete? Meaning where newer operating systems don’t support them etc…I am looking at the Focus line but looking at older generation models because of price point. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Marianne Denning

I would recommend the Braille Edge from HIMS. I do that because it has some basic note taking abilities and you can read Bookshare books on it. It is not a full note taker. I have a Focus 40 that is 5 years old and it still works great with the latest version of JAWS. I would stay away from the very oldest displays.

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 3:18 PM, Joe DiNero <joedinero68@...> wrote:

Good Afternoon

I will preface this message by saying that I am a former low vision user who has become a non vision user and sort of new to many things. Raille displays is one of those where I am absolutely clueless are there any online resources for some sort of primer on the basics of them? Also I am in the market for one so my basic question is since I am purchasing one on my own and budget is of concern I am looking for a second hand model. Having said that do braille displays become obsolete? Meaning where newer operating systems don’t support them etc…I am looking at the Focus line but looking at older generation models because of price point. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Kane Brolin

Joe:

Congratulations on adapting positively to your situation and embracing
Braille. You are doing what the vast majority of blind people today
never do, and you'll be glad you did.

Congrats for also reaching out to get advice from members of lists
like this one. Peero-to-peer guidance is how I always have learned
about this stuff since entering adulthood.

Welcome to refreshable Braille.

-Kane

Les Kriegler <kriegler@...>

Joe,

If you are looking fora second-hand display, I have one.  It's a Focus 40 Blue, 4th generation in really good condition.  I’d  be glad to call you & answer any questions you have.

,les

I will preface this message by saying that I am a former low vision user who has become a non vision user and sort of new to many things. Raille displays is one of those where I am absolutely clueless are there any online resources for some sort of primer on the basics of them? Also I am in the market for one so my basic question is since I am purchasing one on my own and budget is of concern I am looking for a second hand model. Having said that do braille displays become obsolete? Meaning where newer operating systems don’t support them etc…I am looking at the Focus line but looking at older generation models because of price point. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Marianne Denning

The Focus 40 fourth generation would be a good choice. It just doesn't have any note taking abilities. That is what I have and I really like it.

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 5:34 PM, Les Kriegler <kriegler@...> wrote:

[...]

Image removed by sender.

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Joe DiNero

Well if I am fully honest. I should have embraced it a lot earlier. But no time like the present unfortunately my braille skills are not so great I know my uncontracted braille but was fast tracked through a grade 2 course and like a foreign language if you don’t use it you lose it. So have to start from scratch with that.

Congratulations on adapting positively to your situation and embracing Braille. You are doing what the vast majority of blind people today never do, and you'll be glad you did.

Congrats for also reaching out to get advice from members of lists like this one. Peero-to-peer guidance is how I always have learned about this stuff since entering adulthood.

Welcome to refreshable Braille.

-Kane

Ted Sparks

I know exactly what you mean. In my case it's hard teaching an old dog new tricks. Smile