MS Word comment text length limit

Paul Martz <skewmatrix@...>

Hi all. Has anyone else noticed that JAWS only reads part of long comments in MS Word?

JAWS actually seems to stop reading right in the middle of a word in the comment, which makes me wonder if the limit is
character-based. Very strange. So I investigated further, and JAWS seems to stop reading after 420 characters.

To reproduce, I do the following:
1. Move to a comment bubble containing lots of comment text. I don't know the standard hotkey for this, as I assigned it
to my quick access toolbar.
2. Hit escape to leave the comment bubble text.
3. Hit back arrow to enter the body text marked with a comment.
4. Listen to JAWS read the comment bubble text. If the comment bubble text is long enough, JAWS stops reading. For me,
this happens after 420 characters.

I'm using a fairly old system, so it might be a bug that's been fixed. Windows 7, MS Word 2010, and JAWS 18.0.4534.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone else has experienced this.
-Paul

Michal Nowicki

Paul,

I don't know if this is a bug, but I noticed it too. I use Windows 10 Fall
Creator's Update, Word 2016, and the latest build of JAWS 2018. Fortunately,
there is a way to get JAWS to read the entire comment by navigating to the
comment pane, as if you wanted to edit the comment text. If you use the
Office ribbon (and not the JAWS virtual ribbon), press Alt r, n for "next
comment" until you get into the desired comment. From there, you can use
standard reading commands to read its text.

Michal