Topics

An Excel Question

Joe DiNero

Good Evening

A quick question on Excel. I am prefacing this by saying that I was a low vision user before so I am not sure you can do this with JAWS. I work sometimes with big spreadsheets where changes at the top have an impact on cells in the bottom and when I am verifying that all formulas are correct I used to use a split screen. Is there a way to navigate back and forth between those screens with a JAWS keystroke? There is a workaround that I can do by making copies of the workbook but if I can use the split screen I would prefer it.

Thanks for any help

Joe

Paul Hunt <prhunt1@...>

Hello. There’s a way to modify your spreadsheets so that JAWS reads the row and column titles as you navigate. Dan Clark did a daisy book on this feature. It’s in the JAWS training materials. I use this feature in my spreadsheets.
Paul

On Mar 3, 2018, at 6:02 PM, Joe DiNero <joedinero68@...> wrote:

Good Evening

A quick question on Excel. I am prefacing this by saying that I was a low vision user before so I am not sure you can do this with JAWS. I work sometimes with big spreadsheets where changes at the top have an impact on cells in the bottom and when I am verifying that all formulas are correct I used to use a split screen. Is there a way to navigate back and forth between those screens with a JAWS keystroke? There is a workaround that I can do by making copies of the workbook but if I can use the split screen I would prefer it.

Thanks for any help

Joe

Joe DiNero

I am aware of reading the columns and rows which is not the issue. Let me explain in a little more detail I have a 150 row spreadsheet that I use to prepare annual budgets with a multiple subtotal areas for various income/expense categories. I used to use split screens to view one area of the spreadsheet while viewing another area simultaneously I can still split the screen with menus however I don’t know how to tab back and forth between those 2 split areas. Hopefully that makes sense

[...]

Ann Byrne

It would be clumsy, but you could use goto. If you don't need the between rows, you could hide them.
Neither good, though.

On Mar 3, 2018, at 6:02 PM, Joe DiNero <<mailto:joedinero68@gmail.com>joedinero68@gmail.com> wrote:
Good Evening

A quick question on Excel. I am prefacing this by saying that I was a low vision user before so I am not sure you can do this with JAWS. I work sometimes with big spreadsheets where changes at the top have an impact on cells in the bottom and when I am verifying that all formulas are correct I used to use a split screen. Is there a way to navigate back and forth between those screens with a JAWS keystroke? There is a workaround that I can do by making copies of the workbook but if I can use the split screen I would prefer it.

Thanks for any help

Joe

[]

Dave...

Joe,

Haven't used that split screen idea for several years, and I wonder if Excel is capable of doing that? Ann suggests hiding either rows or columns to bring the totals into the viewable area.

Another approach is to assign those subtotals, either as a set of cells, or individual cells to monitors so you can check them with a keystroke. Look up cell monitors in the JAWS help, or assign them in the JAWS+V dialog.

Dave

[...]

Chris Chaffin

I understand what you are trying to do. Have you tried the f6 keystroke to see if that would switch you back and forth?
I know this is normally the keystroke when switching between different panes within a window.

If this does not work, how about using monitor cells?  I know you can assign different cells to be monitor cells so you can quickly check the cell with a simple keystroke.
You can read about monitor cells and what keystrokes are involved in the Jaws help.

Chris