Skeduler for turning computer on and off

Nino Dagostino

Hi:

Do you know if they make a skeduler to turn off the computer at a certain time.

I download podcasts but I don’t want to sit here until they all download.

I was hoping that there would be a way to shut the computer down at acertain time?

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve Matzura

Every version of Windows back to at least XP,maybe even further, has a program called Task Scheduler. You can certainly add a task to shut the machine down in there. Starting it again, though, I don't think is possible. In fact, I'd go out on a limb to say it is absolutely positively not possible. Think about it: How would a device that's quiet, not taking power, not responsive to any stimuli either internal or external, know, or be told by some external force, that it's time to turn on?

On 2/28/2018 7:45 PM, Nino Dagostino wrote:

Hi:

Do you know if they make a skeduler to turn off the computer at a certain time.

I download podcasts but I don’t want to sit here until they all download.

I was hoping that there would be a way to shut the computer down at acertain time?

Any help would be appreciated.

Nino Dagostino

Hi:

You are write.

Do you know if task manager is in windows10

Thank you

Every version of Windows back to at least XP,maybe even further, has a program called Task Scheduler. You can certainly add a task to shut the machine down in there. Starting it again, though, I don't think is possible. In fact, I'd go out on a limb to say it is absolutely positively not possible. Think about it: How would a device that's quiet, not taking power, not responsive to any stimuli either internal or external, know, or be told by some external force, that it's time to turn on?

On 2/28/2018 7:45 PM, Nino Dagostino wrote:

Hi:

Do you know if they make a skeduler to turn off the computer at a certain time.

I download podcasts but I don’t want to sit here until they all download.

I was hoping that there would be a way to shut the computer down at acertain time?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jonas Voll

what is wake on land - Google Search

Wake on LAN is a technology that allows a network professional to remotely power on a computer or to wake it up from sleep mode. By remotely triggering

the computer to wake up and perform scheduled maintenance tasks, the technician does not have to physically visit each computer on the network.

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

Every version of Windows back to at least XP,maybe even further, has a program called Task Scheduler. You can certainly add a task to shut the machine down in there. Starting it again, though, I don't think is possible. In fact, I'd go out on a limb to say it is absolutely positively not possible. Think about it: How would a device that's quiet, not taking power, not responsive to any stimuli either internal or external, know, or be told by some external force, that it's time to turn on?

On 2/28/2018 7:45 PM, Nino Dagostino wrote:

Hi:

Do you know if they make a skeduler to turn off the computer at a certain time.

I download podcasts but I don’t want to sit here until they all download.

I was hoping that there would be a way to shut the computer down at acertain time?

Any help would be appreciated.

and
'spam@...'

Angus <2.g.i.84972@...>

Hi Steve & all,

this can be done, you can auto start a computer.

Im sure you have heard of the bios.

The way this works is that the BIOS has a button battary that keeps it powered all the time, even if the computer is turned off

You can set a computer to start up every day at a serton time, or you can set the computer to wake up on lan witch meens you can turn your computer on from another computer 100 miles away.

if you google this you will find many pages telling you how to set this up via the bios, as long as your machine isnt to old.

I have pasted a link to 1 of these pages below,
the link may wrap over 2 or 3 lines so you may need to heighlight it & copy it then paist it into the address bar of what ever browser you use.

Once on the page
look for the heading

How to Set Auto Start-Up for a Computer

page link below

Hope this helps

Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2018 8:55 PM

[...]

Hi Nino

sorry forgot to answer your original question, how to turn the computer off

this is the way I do it, others may have a better way.

Open the command prompt,
then lets say I want the computer to turn off in 2 hours,
I have to work out the amount of seconds this is,
so 2 hours is 120 minutes then I times 120 by 60 to give me the seconds.
= 7200 seconds
so now I type the below string into the command prompt
shutdown /s /t 7200
then press enter, & this will turn the computer off in 2 hours
note the spaces between the switches, example,
shutdown is the command
/s is a switch telling the computer to turn off,
example, /r tells the computer to restart
now /t tells it to turn off after the amount of seconds you have entered after the /t
so I spose t for time

so if you type in the command prompt
shutdown /s /t 60
the computer will shutdown in sixty seconds

hope this helps

Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2018 8:55 PM

[...]

Thanks, but once again, shutdown means shutdown, nobody home, nobody's listening, no program is running. What you're talking about is almost the equivalent of a Unix run-level even lower than 3. I've been through lots and lots of BIOS's and have never seen a feature where a timer could be set to start a computer from cold. From sleep or hibernate, maybe. But I'll sure check out these links.

Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2018 8:55 PM

[...]

Yes. Like I said, since XP it's been right there.

On 3/1/2018 8:04 AM, Nino Dagostino wrote:

[...]

That's right, but notice the active/important phrase "sleep mode", which is not the same as turning something off completely.

On 3/1/2018 8:47 AM, Jonas Voll wrote:

[...]

I just set this up for one of the Macs here. Will report on how it behaves tomorrow morning. Yes, I could have set it for an hour from now, and probably should have done, but it won't be convenient for me to test whether it works or how it behaves until tomorrow.

Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2018 8:55 PM

Every version of Windows back to at least XP,maybe even further, has a program called Task Scheduler. You can certainly add a task to shut the machine down in there. Starting it again, though, I don't think is possible. In fact, I'd go out on a limb to say it is absolutely positively not possible. Think about it: How would a device that's quiet, not taking power, not responsive to any stimuli either internal or external, know, or be told by some external force, that it's time to turn on?

On 2/28/2018 7:45 PM, Nino Dagostino wrote:

Hi:

Do you know if they make a skeduler to turn off the computer at a certain time.

I download podcasts but I don’t want to sit here until they all download.

I was hoping that there would be a way to shut the computer down at acertain time?

Any help would be appreciated.

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

It works either way. complete shutdown or just sleeping. Your PC is never totally off unless it is unplugged from power.
As the excellent help from another lister shows you can set your PC to Power on  by timer or LAN.
On 3/1/2018 7:03 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:

[...]

Sincerely: Randy Barnett
Owner of Soundtique.
Grants Pass, Or.

Nino Dagostino

Hi:

That was very helpful.

Have a good day.

Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2018 8:55 PM

[...]

OK, I'm back with a report on starting a Mac on a schedule. I was dubious, and frankly expected failure. But no! At six o'clock this morning, as my four-legged alarm-clock awoke us, I heard the familiar Apple bong. Amazing!