Right-clicking on the task bar

N K Shackelford

I need to know how to be able to right click on the task bar so I can change a setting. I'm told there is an option called "show windows side by side," and I need to be able to try this. Any help is appreciated.

T I A,

Nance

--
N K Shackelford
--Walk on faith and trust in love - Michael Reed--

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Nance. The way I Right Click on the task bar is to first go to the desktop.

Then TAB until you hear TASK VIEW. Press either the Applications Key, or if you have no Applications Key, press SHIFT plus F10.

When I do this, a menu becomes available which I can Arrow up and down through the menu.

I’ll post the menu below. Note that, for some reason, Windows Side By Side says unavailable. Maybe this is because I don’t use Window tiles. OK, here’s the menu.

Context Menu
To navigate press Up or Down Arrow.

Toolbars sub menu
t
Cortana sub menu
o
Show Task View button checked
v
Show People button
p
Show Windows Ink Workspace button
w
Show touch keyboard button
y
Cascade windows Unavailable
d
Show windows stacked Unavailable
e
Show windows side by side Unavailable
i

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of N K Shackelford
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 2:16 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Right-clicking on the task bar

I need to know how to be able to right click on the task bar so I can change a setting. I'm told there is an option called "show windows side by side," and I need to be able to try this. Any help is appreciated.

T I A,

Nance

--

N K Shackelford

Hi again, Nance. Here’s something I found on Google, which I believe would be possible for JAWS users.

Q:  Show windows side by side in windows 10   

I've always right clicked on the taskbar and selected "Show windows side by side." Now on my Windows 10 laptop, the two windows display very narrow and

only on one half of the screen. Is there something I can do to make two documents display across the entire  width of the screen?

A:

Hi,

Aero Snap is one of the interesting features of Windows 10 that automatically arrange windows by tiles or side by side. Here are the different methods

on how you can customize your windows view on your desktop using Aero  Snap:

Method 1: Side by side windows.

This method will make each window take half of the computer screen allowing you to arrange it side by side.

1. Press and hold Windows logo key.

2. Press the left or right arrow key.

Method 2: Vertical Snap

You can also use Aero Snap to maximize or minimize the open windows on your desktop.

1. Press and hold Windows logo key + Up arrow key to snap the window to the top halves of the screen.

2. Press and hold Windows logo key + Down arrow key to snap the window to the bottom halves of the screen.

3. Press Windows logo key + Up arrow key twice to maximize the window.

4. Press Windows logo key + Down arrow key twice to minimize the window.

I hope this helps you.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of N K Shackelford

T I A,

Nance

--

N K Shackelford

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Don’t think you said what screenreader you are using.

I use Jaws 2018 and if I bring up the system tray icons with Jaws Key+F11 the first one says “Notification Chevron”. If I simply press enter on this a submenu pops  up which for me contains the “Side by Side” option.

Note that for other icons where enter does not work you can tab once you are on the icon in the Jaws Key+DF11 list and you get the following options:

Right single click button

Left single click button

Left double click button

Cancel

At least for me if I am at a hotel or another place where I want to look what WiFi networks are available, the Network icon I can only activate if I tab to the “left double click button” then I press enter and if I then tab a couple of times I find the list of available networks. If I simply press enter on where it says “Not connected, networks are available” I only get the options “Open Network and Internet Settings” and “Trouble Shoot Problems”.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of N K Shackelford

T I A,

Nance

--

N K Shackelford

Hi again, Nance. I hope the third time is the charm.

I figured it out. In order for Windows Side By Side to work, you must first have two windows open. These might be two Office documents.

1. Open both documents.

2. As Sieghard says in an earlier post, open the System Tray, and look for the Notification Chevron, and press ENTER.

3. Arrow down to Windows Side By Side, and press ENTER.

4. Now the two documents, or whatever windows you have open should be displayed side by side.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

T I A,

Nance

--

N K Shackelford

N K Shackelford

I should've told you I have Windows 7 and JAWS 18. A long time ago, I got rid of the chevron button, and I can't remember how I did it. If anyone knows how to restore this, please let me know. Thanks to everybody for the help.

Nance

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 4:15 PM, N K Shackelford <nance62lady@...> wrote:

T I A,

Nance

--
N K Shackelford

--
N K Shackelford

Steve Griffiths

Hi Nance,

You can get to the taskbar by Tabbing three times from the desktop, or pressing Windows + T.

The taskbar has icons for the apps you have open, plus any that have been pinned there for quick access. There is also a blank area on the taskbar. A mouse user can right click one of the icons to get a context menu of options for that app, or right click the blank area for some other options such as the one you want.

With the keyboard, you can't get directly to the blank area of the taskbar. When your focus goes to the taskbar, it lands on one of the icons and if you arrow around, you'll move between those icons.

But you can get to the taskbar's context menu by pressing applications key or Shift + F10 to get the context menu for whichever application you've focused on, press Escape to close it and then applications key or Shift + F10 again and you'll get the context menu for the taskbar itself; arrow down to Show windows side by side and press Enter.

What happens then will depend on how many windows you have open, but basically Windows will try to show all of them in a separate part of the screen. There might be a benefit for sighted users, not for JAWS users.

By the way, you can turn it off again by going back to the taskbar context menu and choosing  Undo show side by side.

If you have two apps open, showing them side by side arranges them so that one app takes up the left half of the screen, and the other takes up the right half. You can do this with the keyboard easily in Windows 7; with focus on an app, press Windows + Left and it will move to the left hand half of the screen. Alt + Tab to the other app and press Windows + Right and it will take up the right half. To undo this arrangement, press Windows + Up on each app in turn to maximise it.

To get the chevron back in the notification area, press Windows and type notification into the search area, then press Enter on Notification Area Icons. That opens a window and you can Shift + Tab to a checkbox. When it's checked, the chevron isn't there; when it's unchecked the chevron appears.

Hope that helps,

Steve

Sent: 01 March 2018 10:00
Subject: Re: Right-clicking on the task bar

I should've told you I have Windows 7 and JAWS 18. A long time ago, I got rid of the chevron button, and I can't remember how I did it. If anyone knows how to restore this, please let me know. Thanks to everybody for the help.

Nance

T I A,

Nance

--

N K Shackelford

--

N K Shackelford

This email and any attachment to it are confidential. Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose either the message or any information contained in the message.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this email and notify the sender immediately.
Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender only, unless otherwise stated.
All emails, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded by Guide Dogs and monitored for legitimate business purposes.
Guide Dogs exclude all liability for any loss or damage arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email to the fullest extent permitted by law.

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association
Tel: 0118 983 5555
Email: guidedogs@...
Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG.
A company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales (209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

N K Shackelford

Thanks, Steve. You have been very helpful. My problem didn't actually get solved, but it wasn't because suggestions from everybody weren't right or helpful. As Bill said, Windows side by side, stacked, and cascade are all unavailable, so I think I have tried all I can for resizing browser window that is open.

Again, thanks to all for the help.

Nance

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 5:03 AM, Steve Griffiths <steve.griffiths@...> wrote:

Hi Nance,

You can get to the taskbar by Tabbing three times from the desktop, or pressing Windows + T.

The taskbar has icons for the apps you have open, plus any that have been pinned there for quick access. There is also a blank area on the taskbar. A mouse user can right click one of the icons to get a context menu of options for that app, or right click the blank area for some other options such as the one you want.

With the keyboard, you can't get directly to the blank area of the taskbar. When your focus goes to the taskbar, it lands on one of the icons and if you arrow around, you'll move between those icons.

But you can get to the taskbar's context menu by pressing applications key or Shift + F10 to get the context menu for whichever application you've focused on, press Escape to close it and then applications key or Shift + F10 again and you'll get the context menu for the taskbar itself; arrow down to Show windows side by side and press Enter.

What happens then will depend on how many windows you have open, but basically Windows will try to show all of them in a separate part of the screen. There might be a benefit for sighted users, not for JAWS users.

By the way, you can turn it off again by going back to the taskbar context menu and choosing  Undo show side by side.

If you have two apps open, showing them side by side arranges them so that one app takes up the left half of the screen, and the other takes up the right half. You can do this with the keyboard easily in Windows 7; with focus on an app, press Windows + Left and it will move to the left hand half of the screen. Alt + Tab to the other app and press Windows + Right and it will take up the right half. To undo this arrangement, press Windows + Up on each app in turn to maximise it.

To get the chevron back in the notification area, press Windows and type notification into the search area, then press Enter on Notification Area Icons. That opens a window and you can Shift + Tab to a checkbox. When it's checked, the chevron isn't there; when it's unchecked the chevron appears.

Hope that helps,

Steve

Sent: 01 March 2018 10:00

Nance

T I A,

Nance

--

N K Shackelford

--

N K Shackelford

This email and any attachment to it are confidential. Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose either the message or any information contained in the message.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this email and notify the sender immediately.
Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender only, unless otherwise stated.
All emails, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded by Guide Dogs and monitored for legitimate business purposes.
Guide Dogs exclude all liability for any loss or damage arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email to the fullest extent permitted by law.

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association
Tel: 0118 983 5555
Email: guidedogs@...
Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG.
A company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales (209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

--
N K Shackelford

Nino Dagostino

Hi:

Here is just a thought.

Make sure that both documents are maximized.

I have another question  if you have two documents side by side how do you switch between both documents?

Thank you.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 5:52 PM

Hi again, Nance. Here’s something I found on Google, which I believe would be possible for JAWS users.

I've always right clicked on the taskbar and selected "Show windows side by side." Now on my Windows 10 laptop, the two windows display very narrow and

only on one half of the screen. Is there something I can do to make two documents display across the entire  width of the screen?

A:

Hi,

Aero Snap is one of the interesting features of Windows 10 that automatically arrange windows by tiles or side by side. Here are the different methods

This method will make each window take half of the computer screen allowing you to arrange it side by side.

You can also use Aero Snap to maximize or minimize the open windows on your desktop.

1. Press and hold Windows logo key + Up arrow key to snap the window to the top halves of the screen.

2. Press and hold Windows logo key + Down arrow key to snap the window to the bottom halves of the screen.

I hope this helps you.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

T I A,

Nance

--

N K Shackelford

Hi, Nino. You switch between documents as you always would, with ALT plus TAB. That focuses JAWS on the document with wich you want to work.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nino Dagostino
Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2018 2:15 PM

Hi:

Here is just a thought.

Make sure that both documents are maximized.

I have another question  if you have two documents side by side how do you switch between both documents?

Thank you.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 5:52 PM

A:

Hi,

I hope this helps you.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

T I A,

Nance

--

N K Shackelford