speech on demand

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Hi,

Using W10 latest Home 64 bit and Jaws 2018.1802.78

After downloading and installing Jaws  a couple of days ago without a problem, I have now encounted one.

Well, maybe I am doing something incorrectly.

Trying out the new feature, Speech on Demand by pressing Jaws, spacebar s  gives a very different result from that as demonstrated in the December FS Podcast. When Jonathan used the above key combination his system said either “Speech on Demand” or “Full Speech”. My system says “Speech on” or “Speech off” and that is all.

With the speech off none of the reading keys like insert up arrow says anything.

As this feature was not tried prior to the recent update, it is not known whether it has ever worked.

Could someone try this featureand see what results are   obtained?

Thanks

Tom

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Tom,

When pressing the Jaws key & spacebar, then, S, you'll hear, Speech on Demand.

Press, Jaws key & spacebar, then, S, again, & you'll hear Full speech.

As a total rookie to this I'm assuming the keystroke, Jaws key, & spacebar, then, S, is a toggle between the 2 options.

[...]

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am using the recommended key strokes, Jaws key spacebar then s  with no sign of Speech on Demand.  Just the results as I mentioned below.  i.e. either speech on or off.

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Speech on demand only makes sense if you use a braille display (at least as far as I am concerned).

Yes, Jaws Key+Spacebar followed by S toggles between speech on demand and full speech.

If you want the old behaviour back where this keystroke toggles between Speech and Mute you have to first toggle from full speech to speech on demand.

Now press Jaws Key+Spacebar followed by Shift+S and Jaws will say “Speech offset to Speech Mute”.

If you now press Jaws Key+Spacebar followed by S it will toggle between full speech and mute.

In order to go back to Speech on Demand you have to Mute Speech, then again press Jaws Key+Spacebar followed by Shift+S.

Jaws will say “Speech offset to speech on demand”.

If you try the Jaws Key+Spacebar with Shift+S when you are in full speech mode Jaws will say “not available in full speech mode”.

Regards,

Sieghard

[...]

To add to what Sieghard has stated, you can go into the Settings Center & adjust options under the Speech Options heading.

[...]

Hi
Tom,

Are you sure you are running the latest Jaws 2018 update? Check in Jaws Settings > About and make sure you haven’t accidently loaded Jaws q18.

[...]

Thanks for your reply Sieghard.

Yes, I do definitely have the Jaws version  of a few days ago loaded. i.e. 2018.1802.78.

There is no braille device connected  so am wondering if this is making the difference. I wished to explore the feature to see how it worked but maybe this is not possible with no braille device connected.

I’ll study your remarks below to see what I can learn.

Thanks

Tom

[...]

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Tom,

I have no braille display set up, I’m running the same version as you, and I get the Speech On Demand and Full Speech toggle with insert+space bar followed by s.

Have you tried it with the shift+s to see if you get different results?

I’m using Vocalizer Tom as my voice.

I’m running Win 10 64 home.

Richard

[...]

Hi Richard,

That is interesting, that while you have a similar setup to mine, your Speech on Demand is working correctly.

I never thought to try Speech on Demand prior to last week’s update so maybe it has never worked.

The command, Jaws spacebar  shift s has been tried but all I receive is the following:

Unknown script call to, Speech on Demand toggle

Then it goes on to spell Speech on Demand toggle  before exiting.

It appears that a script may be missing.