From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Val Paul
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2018 6:22 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Yesterday's update

Hi Everyone!

Since yesterday's update, I find that my computer's quite slow booting
up! It starts off saying on the windows log on Jaws for windows, then,
seems totake a while before saying "Jaws home addition!!" has anyone
else found this?

Val Paul

Hi Richard!

As you know, my new computer is a Levono, 64 bit and 8gb ram. so don't know what's causing the trouble? its performing, but juust seems to be a bit sluggish at booting up.

On 22/02/2018 15:10, Richard Turner wrote:
My computer is booting up much faster, but not because of the update.
I had Microsoft Accessibility go in and turn off all the unnecessary things that were loading at startup. Plus, I uninstalled Jaws 2018 and all the pieces left over from previous Jaws.
Then, after reinstalling Jaws 2018 on Monday, things run much better.
Nothing changed in that area with the update to Jaws.

This is a Windows 10 64 bit home edition Toshiba with the i7 processer and 8 GB of ram.

I was about to replace it, because from the time I turned it on until I could effectively use it was getting close to 10 minutes.
Now, it might be 2 or 3 minutes total from a cold boot and 1 minute when waking it up.
Richard

Since yesterday's update, I find that my computer's quite slow booting
up! It starts off saying on the windows log on Jaws for windows, then,
seems totake a while before saying "Jaws home addition!!" has anyone
else found this?

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Interesting, I find Windows 10 boot times super fast. I don't have fast startup turned on and when I turn on my Asus Zenbook (I7 processor with 16 Gb of RAM and an SSD) it takes about 10 seconds for theWindows sound and the login screen to come up. After I put in my PIN it takes maybe 20 seconds at most for Jaws to start speaking and the desktop to come up.
Visually the desktop comes up almost right away after I put in my PIN, maybe 5 seconds, I guess the rest is Jaws loading up.

Regards,
Sieghard

Since yesterday's update, I find that my computer's quite slow booting up! It starts off saying on the windows log on Jaws for windows, then, seems totake a while before saying "Jaws home addition!!" has anyone else found this?

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Actually this has nothing to do with your broadband signal and if you want the Windows startup sound to play then enabling fast startup will prevent this most of the time. In any case, unless you have specifically disabled fast startup it is most likely that it is it on since it is enabled by default.

Since yesterday's update, I find that my computer's quite slow booting up! It starts off saying on the windows log on Jaws for windows, then, seems totake a while before saying "Jaws home addition!!" has anyone else found this?

Val Paul

I don't have the startup sound on at the moment on this new computer. How can i find if the fast startup is on?

From: Val Paul <vpcara79@gmail.com>
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Date: Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:21 am

Hi Everyone!

Since yesterday's update, I find that my computer's quite slow booting
up! It starts off saying on the windows log on Jaws for windows, then,
seems totake a while before saying "Jaws home addition!!" has anyone
else found this?

com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#57097): https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/57097
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/topic/12438999
New Topic: https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/post
com=-=-
-
JFW related links:
JFW List instructions:
Archives located at: http://www.groups.io/g/jfw/threads

com=-=-
Change Your Subscription: https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/editsub/526009
Group Home: https://jfw.groups.io/g/main
Contact Group Owner: main+owner@jfw.groups.io
com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Val Paul

Hi Audrey!

Quite agree about windows coming on straight away. I'm on the latest version of Jaws and windows 10.

I contacted the Microsoft disability desk on Monday, and I must say, she gave my computer a good clean up. She tried switching it on then off, and said how slow it was.

She said there was nothing actually wrong with the settings, but said that my Eset Nov32 antivirus could be slowing things down. I have now removed that, and hope that defender has come on itself. We'll have to see if it boots up any quicker! If it doesn't, then i don't know what else i can do.

I have also been getting a lot of error reports, and have ticked the box to let Freedom Scientific know.

Val.

On 27/02/2018 05:52, audrey joy wrote:
[...]

Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

I have the latest update, and all works very well on my end.  I am also running the latest version of windows10.

Melissa

> Since yesterday's update, I find that my computer's quite slow booting

> up! It starts off saying on the windows log on Jaws for windows, then,

> seems totake a while before saying "Jaws home addition!!" has anyone

> else found this?

> com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

> Groups.io Links:

> You receive all messages sent to this group.

> View/Reply Online (#57097): https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/57097

> View All Messages In Topic (1): https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/topic/12438999

> Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/12438999/526009

> New Topic: https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/post

> com=-=-

> -

> JFW related links:

> JFW List instructions:

> Archives located at: http://www.groups.io/g/jfw/threads

> Alternative archives located at: http://n2.nabble.com/JAWS-for-Windows-f2145279.html

> com=-=-

> Group Home: https://jfw.groups.io/g/main

> Contact Group Owner: main+owner@jfw.groups.io

> Terms of Service: https://groups.io/static/tos

> com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Hi I have the latest Jaws 2018 on a windows 7 machine at the shop. Jaws and windows both start at roughly the same time. From power on to desktop is about 8 seconds.
I don't use anything but Windows Defender and don't have ITunes or any apple services on this machine. Just Office and some specialty software that doesn't load at startup.
Try going into your startup settings. Ctrl + shift + ESC then ctrl + tab to the startup tab. Go down the list and look for things from apple and other third party software that doesnt actually need to start right away and disable it. If you have a third party anti virus or malware app try uninstalling it and use windows defender instead. These seem to slow down start times.
My specs:
2nd Gen I7 at 4GHz.
Samsung 850 Pro SSD
16GB DDR 3 Ram.