Topics

JAWS and Safe Mode

Annabelle Susan Morison

Hi, it's Annabelle.
I'm wondering if the System Restore in Safe Mode will show more restore points then are displayed currently on my computer? I'm trying to go back to 1/10/2018 at 10:29 AM and January 14, 2018, but in Normal Windows Mode, it won't let me go back any further than 1/15/2018 at 10:34 PM. Please help! Also, is there a way for someone blind like me to access Safe Mode with a screenreader? The reason why I want to do this is because I've deleted some important documents, quite by accident, even the backups I've made on my external hard drive, and I've been stressed out ever since this happened. I have ICare Data Recovery Pro, but all it seems to recover in this circumstance is empty directories. I know I haven't written anything to the current partition since this happened, so I need to take immediate action before anything serious happens. Should I have my sighted friend, Markus Johnson (Yes, that's Markus with a K, not a C), to restore my lost documents? That is, if system restore will actually do that for me?

Bill White

Hi, Annabelle. Recovery Might, and that’s a big might, be able to get your documents back for you. But a system restore is to get programs and settings back the way before something changed them in an undesired way. System restore will not bring back deleted files.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Annabelle Susan Morison
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 7:33 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: JAWS and Safe Mode

[...]

I know I was able to restore my External Hard drive back to January 15, 2018 at 10:34 PM, but I want to go back further. How do I access more restore points than what is currently displayed in Normal Windows Mode?

[...]

I don’t think you can. Your hard drive only keeps a limited number of restore points, because each one takes a lot of drive space. Still and all, even if you could get a restore point earlier than January 15, that would not bring your documents back. For that, you need recovery software that can go in and undelete deleted files.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

netbat66

try looking in your recycle bin. if you manually deleted a document thay might be in there.

[...]

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

I dont use system restore anymore but I think there is a button to show earlier restore points. You may need to use the Jaws or touch cursor to find it. Maybe have your sighted friend look for it.

-----Original Message----- From: Annabelle Susan Morison
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 7:33 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

--
Sincerely: Randy Barnett
Owner of Soundtique.

Annabelle Susan Morison

I actually pressed Shift+Delete, so they bypassed the Recycle Bin. Someone
told me that the files aren't exactly gone forever when permanently deleted
from your computer, just the pointers are gone.

[...]

Dave Durber

Hello Annabell:

That is correct, however, if you accidentally press DELETE and confirm the deletion or you press SHIFT+DELETE on a file/files or a folder/folders you did not mean to delete, you can recover that file/files or a folder/folders, with programs such as, File Scavenger and the like as long as the following conditions apply:

1. In order for such programs to recover files or folders you have deleted, it is very important that such software be installed on the particular drive, especially, if the deleted data is located on drive C, prior to the time you deleted the file/files or folder/folders.

2. in addition, you attempt to recover the deleted data, before any changes are, or, have been made to the drive on which the deleted file/files or folder/folders reside.

3. If you do not attempt to recover the deleted files or folders immediately, any changes to the drive, may result in the area where the deleted files/folders are located being over written by the new data, causing the perminent loss of those deleted files or folders.

HTH

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

----- Original Message ----- files or folders, which you then regret you have deleted.
[...]

Not if you use the SHIFT+DELETE command to bypass the recycle bin.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

[...]

Mario

what do you use instead of the system restore? any benefits compaired to
using the system restor built in to Windows? IYO, does it work better
and is it compatible with JAWS or NVDA? any JAWS scripts needed, if so,
where to get them?

Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 7:33 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

[...]

ely.r@...

Afternoon,
When you select restore, there is a list of restores with the names you gave them and their dates.
Rick

Dr. Rick Ely
TVI, Vision Consultant
451 Rocky Hill Road