JAWS2018, & Recognize With Jaws

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Howdy Y'all,

I would like to share something I found using the Recognize With JAWS feature in Jaws2018 when I used this to read a PDF file today.

After scanning a 100 page cordless phone user manual I wanted to converted to a different format, but while in this OCR mode I couldn't bring up a file menu, but when I opened the context menu I had a convert file option.  I said, what the hell, pressed enter on it, & to my surprise a conversion program installation window popped up asking me if I would like to install, Doxillion Document Converter, by NCH Software!

Well, I installed the little program, & this little gem will convert PDF files into something like 13 or 17 different formats.  What's even more cool, it put an option in the context menu so this program can now be used with all versions of Jaws I have installed.  I don't know exactly why or what made this installation program option pop-up, but I'm assuming it's because I've got a couple of NCH programs on my computer, and I'm sure glad it did come up!  This Doxillion Document Converter really works, gurhrhrhrhrhhrhrhrhhrhrhrhrhhrrhrhhrhr ate!

If any of you have a chance to click on the convert file option while using the Recognize with Jaws, feature, & you get this install dialogue, I would suggest running it!  If you don't like it, it can uninstalled through the Control Panel / Programs & Features.

Jim L

Mmm I followed this with a pdf file and Jaws 2018, I kind of heard something seemed to happened but nothing appears on the screen and the file stays the same, does the recognized file go somewhere? A folder? As also there’s no convert feature either, I am using windows 7 64bit, could that be why?

Cheers,

Jim

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

You don’t have the convert files feature because you don’t have other NCH software programs on your computer.

The file doesn’t go anywhere. It is in your Vertual buffer. It can be read by arrowing up and down. If you want to copy the whole pdf into a document, use CONTROL plus A to select the whole document, then paste it into a word processor document, or into Notepad.

One thing, even when the document appears to have finished processing, it might not be finished. Use CONTROL plus the END key to get to what is at the end of the vertual buffer. Make sure it doesn’t say something like continuing processing. If it says anything like this, the document isn’t fully processed. Wait until pressing CONTROL plus END doesn’t yield this result, then select, copy to clipboard, then paste into a text editor or word processor and save.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Nah nothing still happens, somehow I am missing something

[...]

Dave...

Insert+Spacebar, then O, Then d. Just wait for the result -- and if it's a large file it will take some time. Try it first with a small one-page PDF file until you get the hang of it.

Dave

[...]

That’s a different feature from the one we are discussing. That’s the document scanning feature using INSERT. The one we are discussing is using the applications key while a pdf document is highlighted but not open.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Yes, I guess you are. What are you actually doing. You need to be on a PDF document, but not have it open. Then use your Application key and arrow down to Recognize with JAWS. Press ENTER. It will begin to process the document. This will only happen with JAWS 18 or JAWS 2018.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

It says somethings happening but theres nothing no result just the original file in windows explorer or Adobe

This virtual viewer, how do I access it? As its not there

[...]

Exactly Bill but same problem for me, it seems to say OCR blah blah blah but trust me theres no virtual viewer, how do I access it?

[...]

I am using Jaws 2018

[...]

John Gurd

I’m wondering what other NCH software is accessible? It appears you have to purchase Doxillion. They also do a paid version of Express Burn. I believe this might be accessible, is that so?

John

[...]

Interesting, and here I presumed it was all part of the built-in JAWS Convenient OCR feature. I just tried it from the context menu with the latest JAWS 2018 and got two different results:

First try -- "JAWS OCR Component Failed to Start" and then an extremely slow click sound (roughly 15 seconds between clicks. Figuring that JAWS was again bogging down  I used the JAWS three-finger salute (Insert+Windows+F4) to restart JAWS.

Second try -- "Started" and clicking at about a 5 second rate, and the OCR results screen showed up after 30 seconds. This is a two-page PDF file.

Jim, try the three-finger JAWS salute and see if your experience changes.

Dave

[...]

Jim,

Sounds like you're not using the context menu in a file list to start. Use Explo0ere to find a PDF file, and while it's highlighted, press the Application key or Shift+F10 to bring up the context menu. There you should find "Recognize with JAWS". Press enter on that choice and sit back for a while, listening to the clicking sound.

Dave

[...]

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

I just tried going to a folder of PDF’s with Windows Explorer on Windows 10 Home 64 bit with Jaws 2018, using the context menu to use the Recognize With Jaws option and got the message that the OCR component is not installed.

Yet, I have used Jaws to scan a document on my flatbed scanner.

I am always connected to the internet, so Jaws 2018 was installed while I had internet connectivity.

Is there some other mysterious install file I am supposed to find?

Richard

Dave...

Richard,

Just give the JAWS three-finger salute and see what happens. Personally, I think the later versions of JAWS are subject to some serious memory leaks, as evidenced by my system becoming less responsive over time until I restart JAWS and wake things up again.

Dave

Sent: Monday, February 19, 2018 07:13

I just tried going to a folder of PDF’s with Windows Explorer on Windows 10 Home 64 bit with Jaws 2018, using the context menu to use the Recognize With Jaws option and got the message that the OCR component is not installed.

Yet, I have used Jaws to scan a document on my flatbed scanner.

I am always connected to the internet, so Jaws 2018 was installed while I had internet connectivity.

Is there some other mysterious install file I am supposed to find?

Richard

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

I tried that. Now, I tried installing the OCR feature from the Jaws download page.
Even though it was supposedly installed with Jaws 2018.
As a former Window-Eyes user, my patience for some of this stuff with Jaws is limited.
I really wanted to use a different word in that last sentence, grin.
Richard

Sent: Monday, February 19, 2018 07:13

I just tried going to a folder of PDF’s with Windows Explorer on Windows 10 Home 64 bit with Jaws 2018, using the context menu to use the Recognize With Jaws option and got the message that the OCR component is not installed.

Yet, I have used Jaws to scan a document on my flatbed scanner.

I am always connected to the internet, so Jaws 2018 was installed while I had internet connectivity.

Is there some other mysterious install file I am supposed to find?

Richard

Dave...

...so does it still not work, or does it work now?

Dave

Sent: Monday, February 19, 2018 07:13

I just tried going to a folder of PDF’s with Windows Explorer on Windows 10 Home 64 bit with Jaws 2018, using the context menu to use the Recognize With Jaws option and got the message that the OCR component is not installed.

Yet, I have used Jaws to scan a document on my flatbed scanner.

I am always connected to the internet, so Jaws 2018 was installed while I had internet connectivity.

Is there some other mysterious install file I am supposed to find?

Richard

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Not only does it not work, but after going through the installation, rebooting, waiting another 10 minutes for it to finish installing, it said there was another version already installed so this installation could not be completed. Then, while I was at the kitchen table not having touched anything else, music started playing. I asked my wife to look at the screen, and there was some video playing in another language.
I am next uninstalling everything to do with JAWS. maybe, when I can stop swearing, I will reinstall Jaws or just learn to use NVDA.
Richard

Sent: Monday, February 19, 2018 07:13

I just tried going to a folder of PDF’s with Windows Explorer on Windows 10 Home 64 bit with Jaws 2018, using the context menu to use the Recognize With Jaws option and got the message that the OCR component is not installed.

Yet, I have used Jaws to scan a document on my flatbed scanner.

I am always connected to the internet, so Jaws 2018 was installed while I had internet connectivity.

Is there some other mysterious install file I am supposed to find?

Richard

Dave...

...sounds like Russian interference with your computer's voting processes...

Dave

Sent: Monday, February 19, 2018 07:13

I just tried going to a folder of PDF’s with Windows Explorer on Windows 10 Home 64 bit with Jaws 2018, using the context menu to use the Recognize With Jaws option and got the message that the OCR component is not installed.

Yet, I have used Jaws to scan a document on my flatbed scanner.

I am always connected to the internet, so Jaws 2018 was installed while I had internet connectivity.

Is there some other mysterious install file I am supposed to find?

Richard

Dave...

John,

As to your question on Doxillion, it appears that JAWS allows us to use a non-commercial free version. If you've never used it, the context menu has a "convert document" choice when you highlight a PDF file in Windows Explorer on the first interaction. If you do select that "convert document" option you are presented with a dialog to download Doxillion, and gives you the choice of doing so. Once you complete the download and install, it will run Doxillion to allow converting that file you highlighted. Subsequent interactions with the context menu on a PDF document will then offer you the  "Convert with Doxillion" choice.

Again it appears that JAWS has some sort of relationship with NCH software to offer this from their context menu. It does not show up when you use NVDA, for example.

Dave

Sent: Monday, February 19, 2018 06:26