From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Val Paul
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 6:56 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Disabling lenovo hotkeys and jaws

the problem is, that when i go back to using the key i thought i'd
disabled, i've got to use the Fn key every time.

This makes doing a task t? you have to go into the bio's, but he says
the option he gave me would do!

This can't be right, can itg] Fn, then F6 and that would disable the
key. eHi!

Hope someone will be able to give me some help with this!

My neighbour was in this afternoon trying to help me disable lenovo
hotkeys, and what he's told me to do is, press the Fn key and which one
i want disabled. [

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Hi,
Have you tried calling Microsoft Accessibility support?
In my brief research, it seems that your brand does use the bios to set this, but there might be an easier solution.
800-936-5900.

Richard

the problem is, that when i go back to using the key i thought i'd
disabled, i've got to use the Fn key every time.

This makes doing a task t? you have to go into the bio's, but he says
the option he gave me would do!

This can't be right, can itg]  Fn, then F6 and that would disable the
key. eHi!

Hope someone will be able to give me some help with this!

My neighbour was in this afternoon trying to help me disable lenovo
hotkeys, and what he's told me to do is, press the Fn key and which one
i want disabled. [

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

She lives in Scotland, so I don't think Microsoft Disability Services will work for her.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

the problem is, that when i go back to using the key i thought i'd
disabled, i've got to use the Fn key every time.

This makes doing a task t? you have to go into the bio's, but he says
the option he gave me would do!

This can't be right, can itg] Fn, then F6 and that would disable the
key. eHi!

Hope someone will be able to give me some help with this!

My neighbour was in this afternoon trying to help me disable lenovo
hotkeys, and what he's told me to do is, press the Fn key and which one
i want disabled. [

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

I thought they had told me once that they support all English speaking countries, so give it a try.

Richard

She lives in Scotland, so I don't think Microsoft Disability Services will work for her.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

the problem is, that when i go back to using the key i thought i'd
disabled, i've got to use the Fn key every time.

This makes doing a task t? you have to go into the bio's, but he says
the option he gave me would do!

This can't be right, can itg] Fn, then F6 and that would disable the
key. eHi!

Hope someone will be able to give me some help with this!

My neighbour was in this afternoon trying to help me disable lenovo
hotkeys, and what he's told me to do is, press the Fn key and which one
i want disabled. [

Jacob

On some Lenovo PC's you can press FN+Escape to switch between Lenovo hot keys and normal F key function. You only have to do it once because it'll keep the setting even you reboot.

OZ0TE Jacob

On 2018-02-17 at 15:56 Val Paul wrote:
the problem is, that when i go back to using the key i thought i'd disabled, i've got to use the Fn key every time.

This makes doing a task t? you have to go into the bio's, but he says the option he gave me would do!

This can't be right, can itg]  Fn, then F6 and that would disable the key. eHi!

Hope someone will be able to give me some help with this!

My neighbour was in this afternoon trying to help me disable lenovo hotkeys, and what he's told me to do is, press the Fn key and which one i want disabled. [

Val Paul

That's what i tried to tell him, but he was having none of it! Will try that number.

Thanks.

On 17/02/2018 15:18, Richard Turner wrote:
I thought they had told me once that they support all English speaking countries, so give it a try.

Richard

She lives in Scotland, so I don't think Microsoft Disability Services will work for her.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

the problem is, that when i go back to using the key i thought i'd
disabled, i've got to use the Fn key every time.

This makes doing a task t? you have to go into the bio's, but he says
the option he gave me would do!

This can't be right, can itg] Fn, then F6 and that would disable the
key. eHi!

Hope someone will be able to give me some help with this!

My neighbour was in this afternoon trying to help me disable lenovo
hotkeys, and what he's told me to do is, press the Fn key and which one
i want disabled. [

mati87

Hi,

Usually it can be changed in the notebooks bios. I've done that with my Lenovo.  Once changed the regular F Keys will work without FN and the Lenovo hotkeys will require Pressing FN in order to Access them.

Mat

On 2018-02-17 at 15:56 Val Paul wrote:
> the problem is, that when i go back to using the key i thought i'd
> disabled, i've got to use the Fn key every time.
>
> This makes doing a task t? you have to go into the bio's, but he says
> the option he gave me would do!
>
> This can't be right, can itg]  Fn, then F6 and that would disable the
> key. eHi!
>
> Hope someone will be able to give me some help with this!
>
> My neighbour was in this afternoon trying to help me disable lenovo
> hotkeys, and what he's told me to do is, press the Fn key and which
> one i want disabled. [

Val Paul

How do i get into that, and what do i do please.

On 2018-02-17 at 15:56 Val Paul wrote:
the problem is, that when i go back to using the key i thought i'd
disabled, i've got to use the Fn key every time.

This makes doing a task t? you have to go into the bio's, but he says
the option he gave me would do!

This can't be right, can itg]  Fn, then F6 and that would disable the
key. eHi!

Hope someone will be able to give me some help with this!

My neighbour was in this afternoon trying to help me disable lenovo
hotkeys, and what he's told me to do is, press the Fn key and which
one i want disabled. [

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

If you cannot see the screen, accessing the bios is not possible as there is no speech available at that point that I know of.

Richard

On 2018-02-17 at 15:56 Val Paul wrote:
the problem is, that when i go back to using the key i thought i'd
disabled, i've got to use the Fn key every time.

This makes doing a task t? you have to go into the bio's, but he says
the option he gave me would do!

This can't be right, can itg]  Fn, then F6 and that would disable the
key. eHi!

Hope someone will be able to give me some help with this!

My neighbour was in this afternoon trying to help me disable lenovo
hotkeys, and what he's told me to do is, press the Fn key and which
one i want disabled. [

Brice Mijares <bricemijares@...>

Function key F-6 works correctly on my system. Only time it changes is after a major windows update. I forget what Lenovo system I have.

On 2/17/2018 7:10 AM, Bill White wrote:
Nope, doesn't sound right. If the Function keys are disabled, they will be disabled all at once.
Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com
the problem is, that when i go back to using the key i thought i'd
disabled, i've got to use the Fn key every time.
This makes doing a task t? you have to go into the bio's, but he says
the option he gave me would do!
This can't be right, can itg] Fn, then F6 and that would disable the
key. eHi!
Hope someone will be able to give me some help with this!
My neighbour was in this afternoon trying to help me disable lenovo
hotkeys, and what he's told me to do is, press the Fn key and which one
i want disabled. [

mati87

That is correct but a Friend which can, could maybe help. First you have to Access the Bios by starting the Notebook with a special button which can be pressed with a paperclip. For some devices it is just a regular button. The setting within the bios is called hotkey mode and it has to be disabled. There is no other way to disable this Feature permanently as far as i  know.

Von: Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>
Datum: 17.02.18 18:36 (GMT+01:00)
An: main@jfw.groups.io

If you cannot see the screen, accessing the bios is not possible as there is no speech available at that point that I know of.

Richard

How do i get into that, and what do i do please.

On 17/02/2018 17:24, mati87 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Usually it can be changed in the notebooks bios. I've done that with
> my Lenovo.  Once changed the regular F Keys will work without FN and
> the Lenovo hotkeys will require Pressing FN in order to Access them.
>
> Mat
>

> Von meinem Samsung Galaxy Smartphone gesendet.

> Von: Jacob <dx@...>
> Datum: 17.02.18 16:19 (GMT+01:00)
> An: main@jfw.groups.io
> Betreff: Re: Disabling lenovo hotkeys and jaws
>
> On some Lenovo PC's you can press FN+Escape to switch between Lenovo hot
> keys and normal F key function. You only have to do it once because
> it'll keep the setting even you reboot.
>
> OZ0TE Jacob
>
> On 2018-02-17 at 15:56 Val Paul wrote:
> > the problem is, that when i go back to using the key i thought i'd
> > disabled, i've got to use the Fn key every time.
> >
> > This makes doing a task t? you have to go into the bio's, but he says
> > the option he gave me would do!
> >
> > This can't be right, can itg]  Fn, then F6 and that would disable the
> > key. eHi!
> >
> > Hope someone will be able to give me some help with this!
> >
> > My neighbour was in this afternoon trying to help me disable lenovo
> > hotkeys, and what he's told me to do is, press the Fn key and which
> > one i want disabled. [

Val Paul

Yes, that's what i was told, but trying to get that into my neighbour's head, well, say no more!

Von: Richard Turner <richardturner42@outlook.com>
Datum: 17.02.18 18:36 (GMT+01:00)
An: main@jfw.groups.io

On 2018-02-17 at 15:56 Val Paul wrote:
the problem is, that when i go back to using the key i thought i'd
disabled, i've got to use the Fn key every time.

This makes doing a task t? you have to go into the bio's, but he says
the option he gave me would do!

This can't be right, can itg]  Fn, then F6 and that would disable the
key. eHi!

Hope someone will be able to give me some help with this!

My neighbour was in this afternoon trying to help me disable lenovo
hotkeys, and what he's told me to do is, press the Fn key and which
one i want disabled. [

Richard B. McDonald

Yes, the below is exactly what I have done on my Lenovo. This flips the default function Key from hot key to standard function mode. It works perfectly.

On 2018-02-17 at 15:56 Val Paul wrote:
the problem is, that when i go back to using the key i thought i'd
disabled, i've got to use the Fn key every time.

This makes doing a task t? you have to go into the bio's, but he says
the option he gave me would do!

This can't be right, can itg] Fn, then F6 and that would disable the
key. eHi!

Hope someone will be able to give me some help with this!

My neighbour was in this afternoon trying to help me disable lenovo
hotkeys, and what he's told me to do is, press the Fn key and which
one i want disabled. [

Maria Campbell

Are you saying that the escape key plus the function key can act as a toggle key between Lenovo functions and let's say JAWS functions?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@gmail.com

--St. Francis

On 2018-02-17 at 15:56 Val Paul wrote:
the problem is, that when i go back to using the key i thought i'd
disabled, i've got to use the Fn key every time.

This makes doing a task t? you have to go into the bio's, but he says
the option he gave me would do!

This can't be right, can itg] Fn, then F6 and that would disable the
key. eHi!

Hope someone will be able to give me some help with this!

My neighbour was in this afternoon trying to help me disable lenovo
hotkeys, and what he's told me to do is, press the Fn key and which
one i want disabled. [

Val Paul

Maria! I have tried this method, but it doesn't work with this particular model.

On 2018-02-17 at 15:56 Val Paul wrote:
the problem is, that when i go back to using the key i thought i'd
disabled, i've got to use the Fn key every time.

This makes doing a task t? you have to go into the bio's, but he says
the option he gave me would do!

This can't be right, can itg]  Fn, then F6 and that would disable the
key. eHi!

Hope someone will be able to give me some help with this!

My neighbour was in this afternoon trying to help me disable lenovo
hotkeys, and what he's told me to do is, press the Fn key and which
one i want disabled. [

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Val. Who was having none of it, your brother, or did you think I didn't want you to use Microsoft Disability Services? The problem you're going to have is that Microsoft Disability Services cannot access your UEFI or BIOS. This requires going into the BIOS before Windows is loaded. Since it requires doing something before Windows is loaded, Microsoft will have no way to get into your BIOS, if that is what is required to change the behavior of your function keys.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

She lives in Scotland, so I don't think Microsoft Disability Services will work for her.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

the problem is, that when i go back to using the key i thought i'd
disabled, i've got to use the Fn key every time.

This makes doing a task t? you have to go into the bio's, but he says
the option he gave me would do!

This can't be right, can itg] Fn, then F6 and that would disable the
key. eHi!

Hope someone will be able to give me some help with this!

My neighbour was in this afternoon trying to help me disable lenovo
hotkeys, and what he's told me to do is, press the Fn key and which one
i want disabled. [

Val Paul

Hi Bill!

It was my neighbour that wouldn't have it when i tried to explain that you'd have to go into the bio's not you.

On 18/02/2018 05:14, Bill White wrote:
[...]

Hi Maria!

Well, to be precise, what I am saying is that it works as a toggle between 1) Lenovo hot keys and 2) standard function keys - not "JAWS Keys." "JAWS Keys", technically, refers to the (typically) insert key plus some other key used to activate some JAWS operation. Of course, often for a laptop the CAPS becomes the JAWS key.

HTH,
Richard

On 2018-02-17 at 15:56 Val Paul wrote:
the problem is, that when i go back to using the key i thought i'd
disabled, i've got to use the Fn key every time.

This makes doing a task t? you have to go into the bio's, but he says
the option he gave me would do!

This can't be right, can itg] Fn, then F6 and that would disable the
key. eHi!

Hope someone will be able to give me some help with this!

My neighbour was in this afternoon trying to help me disable lenovo
hotkeys, and what he's told me to do is, press the Fn key and which
one i want disabled. [

Shai

Hello,
I remember that on a Lenovo system I had that I was able to go into
the control panel/keyboard and go to a tab that says Lenovo keyboard
or something to this extent. From there, I was able to select use fn
key with f keys or classic keyboard layout. Once I selected classic
keyboard layout all worked as it should. This was a computer with
Windows 7 though.
I would go into the keyboard options and see what tabs are there.