Topics

KVM switches and braille displays

Delaunay Christophe

Hi all,

Since I have two computers but place on my desk for one screen only, I am thinking about buying a KVM switch with the two computers at one end, and the keyboard+mouse+screen set at the other end.

In addition, for the moment, when I want to switch from one computer to the other, I have two cables arriving near my braille display. I simply unplug one cable and plug the other and the display is correctly refreshed by the computer it comes to.

Now, please, does anyone know if the braille display will still be correctly handled if, instead of two cables near it, I simply plug it on the KVM switch, in addition to the keyboard and mouse?

Many thanks in advance. Have a nice day. Chris D

Jonas Voll

I think it will work, but I have not tested with a KVM!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

Since I have two computers but place on my desk for one screen only, I am thinking about buying a KVM switch with the two computers at one end, and the keyboard+mouse+screen set at the other end.

In addition, for the moment, when I want to switch from one computer to the other, I have two cables arriving near my braille display. I simply unplug one cable and plug the other and the display is correctly refreshed by the computer it comes to.

Now, please, does anyone know if the braille display will still be correctly handled if, instead of two cables near it, I simply plug it on the KVM switch, in addition to the keyboard and mouse?

Many thanks in advance. Have a nice day. Chris D

and
'spam@...'

That might work, but it depends entirely on the capabilities of your KVM switch. If it can handle a second USB device then maybe. Note that some KVM switches also can handle audio and have 3.5mm input jacks for each computer and an output jack which would also allow you to use a single set of speakers unless of course you use a monitor with speakers in which case that would be taken care of. Lastly, make sure your KVM switch can handle HDMI or whatever monitor connection you use, there are still many out there which only have a regular old-style video input/output.

Regards,

Sieghard

Since I have two computers but place on my desk for one screen only, I am thinking about buying a KVM switch with the two computers at one end, and the keyboard+mouse+screen set at the other end.

In addition, for the moment, when I want to switch from one computer to the other, I have two cables arriving near my braille display. I simply unplug one cable and plug the other and the display is correctly refreshed by the computer it comes to.

Now, please, does anyone know if the braille display will still be correctly handled if, instead of two cables near it, I simply plug it on the KVM switch, in addition to the keyboard and mouse?

Many thanks in advance. Have a nice day. Chris D

Kimber Gardner

"i've done it. It will work.

Sent from Kimber's iPhone

The happy ending still beckons, and it is in the hope of grasping it that we go on.—Annie Proulx

On Feb 16, 2018, at 9:45 AM, Delaunay Christophe <christophe.delaunay@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Since I have two computers but place on my desk for one screen only, I am thinking about buying a KVM switch with the two computers at one end, and the keyboard+mouse+screen set at the other end.

In addition, for the moment, when I want to switch from one computer to the other, I have two cables arriving near my braille display. I simply unplug one cable and plug the other and the display is correctly refreshed by the computer it comes to.

Now, please, does anyone know if the braille display will still be correctly handled if, instead of two cables near it, I simply plug it on the KVM switch, in addition to the keyboard and mouse?

Many thanks in advance. Have a nice day. Chris D

Gudrun Brunot

It should work. I have my Focus Blue display connected to a switch.
Sometimes, you will need to restart JAWS when you switch, but not always, it
seems.

Gudrun