From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jed Barton
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 4:38 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: jfw and firefox acting very sluggish

Hey guys,

OK, yet another problem with jfw acting sluggish with yet no explaination with firefix. I am running jaws 18. Lately i am loading firefox, to google which is my home page, I'll alt tab over to it and start tabbing around and it just literally says nothing. It's almost like it has to focus on it, it seems to be a lot slower. Anyone else seen something similar? It's pretty annoying to say the least.

Cheers,
Jed

Jed Barton <jedbarton@...>

It looks like it's version 52 something. I didn't get the rest of the
numbers. It's really frustrating. For instance, i'll be on the gooel
home page and i'll depress the alt key. It should say file, but it
doesn't, i'll have to hit it a few times for it to work. Just slow
annoying things that quite honestly shouldn't be happening.

What version of Firefox do you use? There are still issues with Jaws and the
new Firefox Quantum or whatever they call it, this should apply with
versions starting with 57.
It is recommended that you run the latest version of Firefox ESR (extended
service release), this version is usually intended for businesses who want
the latest security updates but not necessarily all the latest features.

Regards,
Sieghard

OK, yet another problem with jfw acting sluggish with yet no explaination
with firefix. I am running jaws 18. Lately i am loading firefox, to google
which is my home page, I'll alt tab over to it and start tabbing around and
it just literally says nothing. It's almost like it has to focus on it, it
seems to be a lot slower. Anyone else seen something similar? It's pretty
annoying to say the least.

Cheers,
Jed

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

If you still have the installer for Firefox version 52, you might want to remove Firefox and try reinstalling it. I'm using Firefox 52 with Windows 10, and am having no sluggishness.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

OK, yet another problem with jfw acting sluggish with yet no explaination
with firefix. I am running jaws 18. Lately i am loading firefox, to google
which is my home page, I'll alt tab over to it and start tabbing around and
it just literally says nothing. It's almost like it has to focus on it, it
seems to be a lot slower. Anyone else seen something similar? It's pretty
annoying to say the least.

Cheers,
Jed

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi again Jed. If you decide to uninstall and reinstall Firefox version 52, remember to go to the update settings and disable all updates, and uncheck the boxes for updating in the background, and for use of the Mozilla Maintenance Service. Otherwise, eventually, it will try to force you to update to version 57 which is unusable.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

OK, yet another problem with jfw acting sluggish with yet no explaination
with firefix. I am running jaws 18. Lately i am loading firefox, to google
which is my home page, I'll alt tab over to it and start tabbing around and
it just literally says nothing. It's almost like it has to focus on it, it
seems to be a lot slower. Anyone else seen something similar? It's pretty
annoying to say the least.

Cheers,
Jed

netbat66

i have had the same problem.
but if i delete everything the speed comes back.
the browseing histery,cookies and cached web pages.
etc. except for passwords

If you still have the installer for Firefox version 52, you might want to remove Firefox and try reinstalling it. I'm using Firefox 52 with Windows 10, and am having no sluggishness.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

OK, yet another problem with jfw acting sluggish with yet no explaination
with firefix. I am running jaws 18. Lately i am loading firefox, to google
which is my home page, I'll alt tab over to it and start tabbing around and
it just literally says nothing. It's almost like it has to focus on it, it
seems to be a lot slower. Anyone else seen something similar? It's pretty
annoying to say the least.

Cheers,
Jed

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

That must be why I don't have a problem. I don't keep much in cache, cookies, or temporary files.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

but if i delete everything the speed comes back.
the browseing histery,cookies and cached web pages.
etc. except for passwords

OK, yet another problem with jfw acting sluggish with yet no explaination
with firefix. I am running jaws 18. Lately i am loading firefox, to google
which is my home page, I'll alt tab over to it and start tabbing around and
it just literally says nothing. It's almost like it has to focus on it, it
seems to be a lot slower. Anyone else seen something similar? It's pretty
annoying to say the least.

Cheers,
Jed

James Malone

I think this would be true of any type of internet browser. If you delete everything but passwords this will improve performance. You can also do this through Disk cleanup within file explorer.

but if i delete everything the speed comes back.
the browseing histery,cookies and cached web pages.
etc. except for passwords

If you still have the installer for Firefox version 52, you might want to remove Firefox and try reinstalling it. I'm using Firefox 52 with Windows 10, and am having no sluggishness.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

OK, yet another problem with jfw acting sluggish with yet no
explaination with firefix. I am running jaws 18. Lately i am loading
firefox, to google which is my home page, I'll alt tab over to it and
start tabbing around and it just literally says nothing. It's almost
like it has to focus on it, it seems to be a lot slower. Anyone else
seen something similar? It's pretty annoying to say the least.

Cheers,
Jed

GV-Knope, John (Greenville)

I listened to FSCast 149 this morning. FS is recommending that users of FireFox drop back to the extended release version 52 until the May release of FireFox 60.

The current issue is that FireFox 57+ is using a multiprocessor, sandbox, approach to render web content. This is denying JAWS access to the content. Check out FSCaset 149 for more detail.

I am not sure how to obtain version 52.

John F Knope
Student, CIS – Cloud Computing
ECPI University, Greenville Campus
Web site: www.ecpi.edu
[...]

Stephanie Switzer

I’ve heard of this but I don’t currently use jaws so I can’t confirm it. However, I can tell you that until the latest version of Firefox NVDA was doing The same thing that you just described. I’ve seen a lot of people on my Twitter feed say that the reason John is doing this is because VFO is refusing to work with Mozilla to solve the problem. I don’t know if this is true but it’s what people have said.

On Feb 14, 2018, at 7:28 PM, Jed Barton <jedbarton@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

cecropia64

The latest Jaws podcast 149 will explain what  is up with firefox and jaws and what both sides are doing about it.

On 2/15/2018 11:43 AM, Stephanie Switzer wrote:
[...]

George Gray

As a completely separate issue with JAWS and FireFox (and with any
other web browser) I find that after very prolonged browsing activity
in which one opens and closes their browser many many multiple times
that the experience becomes extremely sluggish. So much so that I
have to restart my machine to rectify the problem.

I am a heavy browser user..:)

Anyone else experience this kind of behavior and have other ways of
solving the problem?

Thanks.

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

Cristóbal

Check the status of the hardware acceleration option in advanced settings. Also, there are a bunch of tweeks one can do in Firefox to squeeze a bit more performance out of the browser. You have to play around the the configuration setting of FireFox though to do this. If you're comfortable with palying around in this part of the browser, then no big deal, but if not... best to leave it alone.

OK, yet another problem with jfw acting sluggish with yet no
explaination with firefix. I am running jaws 18. Lately i am
to it and start tabbing around and it just literally says nothing.
It's almost like it has to focus on it, it seems to be a lot slower.
Anyone else seen something similar? It's pretty annoying to say the
least.

Cheers,
Jed

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

Mario

what are the tweaks that you know of?

OK, yet another problem with jfw acting sluggish with yet no
explaination with firefix. I am running jaws 18. Lately i am
to it and start tabbing around and it just literally says nothing.
It's almost like it has to focus on it, it seems to be a lot slower.
Anyone else seen something similar? It's pretty annoying to say the
least.

Cheers,
Jed

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

.

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

That's a bunch of BS from people who don't like FS/VFO, they are actively working to get this resolved and I bet that it will be within the next 3 or 4 months.

OK, yet another problem with jfw acting sluggish with yet no
explaination with firefix. I am running jaws 18. Lately i am
to it and start tabbing around and it just literally says nothing.
It's almost like it has to focus on it, it seems to be a lot slower.
Anyone else seen something similar? It's pretty annoying to say the least.

Cheers,
Jed

GV-Knope, John (Greenville)

You need to listen to FSCast 149 - FireFox 59 is in beta testing, and the updated esr version 60 released in mid May.

John F Knope
Student, CIS – Cloud Computing
ECPI University, Greenville Campus
Web site: www.ecpi.edu
That's a bunch of BS from people who don't like FS/VFO, they are actively working to get this resolved and I bet that it will be within the next 3 or 4 months.

OK, yet another problem with jfw acting sluggish with yet no
explaination with firefix. I am running jaws 18. Lately i am
to it and start tabbing around and it just literally says nothing.
It's almost like it has to focus on it, it seems to be a lot slower.
Anyone else seen something similar? It's pretty annoying to say the least.

Cheers,
Jed

Cristóbal

Don’t' recall off-hand. A google search should bring up a bunch of tutorials on how to tweek FF this and that way. There's also an add-on called Speedy Tweeks or something that can do this for you.

[...]

Hey guys. Where do i find fscast 149?

On 2/15/18, Cristóbal <crismunoz54@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

browse to freedomscientific.com,
search for and activate the fscast link,
then search for and activate the link for the episode you want.
if you want to listen to it later, right click and enter on save link as
or whatever the option is dubbed.

[...]

Robert Logue

Noticed this as well. I'm using Firefox 52.6.0 (32-bit) on a 64 bit machine.  Not sure why. I thought it was advised to use that version.

Many pages come up slowly and Jaws won't read anything in Firefox till the page is loaded. Might be Java. Could be something else.

Bob