From: Poppa Bear
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2016 2:24 AM
Subject: QUICK Pole on some keystrokes and concepts

So, I was talking to another instructor the other day about JAWS keystrokes and she was saying that she always uses the arrow pad on the num pad for her reading navigation commands and I told her that I was just taught to use the arrows with the Jaws key for most of the same commands and I was wondering if I am the complete minority on this. Do most people use the arrow functions on the num pad, or do you use the arrow keys instead? The second question, when on the internet do you open new pages in a separate window with Shift Enter, or do you open them in a new tab with Control enter? Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

Michael Mote

Hi there!  I am a JAWS user, and I normally use the regular arrow keys to read through messages line by line.  I I want to read by sentnce I use Alt plus the down arrow key to read the next sentence, Alt plus up arrow to read the previous and Alt plus Num pad 5 to read the current.  I also use control plus enter to open a new web page if I need to do that.

So, I was talking to another instructor the other day about JAWS keystrokes and she was saying that she always uses the arrow pad on the num pad for her reading navigation commands and I told her that I was just taught to use the arrows with the Jaws key for most of the same commands and I was wondering if I am the complete minority on this. Do most people use the arrow functions on the num pad, or do you use the arrow keys instead? The second question, when on the internet do you open new pages in a separate window with Shift Enter, or do you open them in a new tab with Control enter? Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

Feliciano G

I use the arrow keys for the most part. I like to work with tabs rather than multiple windows.

Regards,Feliciano For tech tips and updates, LIKE www.facebook.com/theblindman12v Follow www.twitter.com/theblindman12v

On Apr 27, 2016, at 11:24 PM, Poppa Bear <heavens4real@...> wrote:

So, I was talking to another instructor the other day about JAWS keystrokes and she was saying that she always uses the arrow pad on the num pad for her reading navigation commands and I told her that I was just taught to use the arrows with the Jaws key for most of the same commands and I was wondering if I am the complete minority on this. Do most people use the arrow functions on the num pad, or do you use the arrow keys instead? The second question, when on the internet do you open new pages in a separate window with Shift Enter, or do you open them in a new tab with Control enter? Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

Tom Macha <toml614@...>

Hello, my name is Tom. I use shift enter. I was also taught to use the numpad when an option is open. However; I find the arrow keys to be preferred at times. I think both numpad and arrows should be taught in case the client becomes employed in a data entry roll (10 key). I am not an instructor just my opinions here.

by and large I use the number pad when available. And I usually default to shift enter over control enter as that’s how I was initially taught to do both things about which you asked.

I hope that helps.

Robin

So, I was talking to another instructor the other day about JAWS keystrokes and she was saying that she always uses the arrow pad on the num pad for her reading navigation commands and I told her that I was just taught to use the arrows with the Jaws key for most of the same commands and I was wondering if I am the complete minority on this. Do most people use the arrow functions on the num pad, or do you use the arrow keys instead? The second question, when on the internet do you open new pages in a separate window with Shift Enter, or do you open them in a new tab with Control enter? Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

Bissett, Tom <tom.bissett@...>

I use the numpad for arrowing around.  I find that then my home and end keys are right there and so is the slash and star keys for simulating the mouse clicks.  Save me a lot of hand movement.

Regards

Tom Bisset

So, I was talking to another instructor the other day about JAWS keystrokes and she was saying that she always uses the arrow pad on the num pad for her reading navigation commands and I told her that I was just taught to use the arrows with the Jaws key for most of the same commands and I was wondering if I am the complete minority on this. Do most people use the arrow functions on the num pad, or do you use the arrow keys instead? The second question, when on the internet do you open new pages in a separate window with Shift Enter, or do you open them in a new tab with Control enter? Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

Mario

I usually use the seperate arrow keys in combination with the screen reader's navigation in documents, spreadsheets, etc.
I tend to want to open pages on the net in new windows, but sometimes opening them in a new tab works better. it just depends on what works better.

On 4/28/2016 2:24 AM, Poppa Bear wrote:
So, I was talking to another instructor the other day about JAWS
keystrokes and she was saying that she always uses the arrow pad on the
num pad for her reading navigation commands and I told her that I was
just taught to use the arrows with the Jaws key for most of the same
commands and I was wondering if I am the complete minority on this. Do
most people use the arrow functions on the num pad, or do you use the
arrow keys instead? The second question, when on the internet do you
open new pages in a separate window with Shift Enter, or do you open
them in a new tab with Control enter? Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

Maria Campbell

I don't use the num pad except for the insert key plus num pad 2 for reading.  I also use the control plus tab on the web.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
--Attributed to Jimi Hendrix

On 4/28/2016 2:24 AM, Poppa Bear wrote:

So, I was talking to another instructor the other day about JAWS keystrokes and she was saying that she always uses the arrow pad on the num pad for her reading navigation commands and I told her that I was just taught to use the arrows with the Jaws key for most of the same commands and I was wondering if I am the complete minority on this. Do most people use the arrow functions on the num pad, or do you use the arrow keys instead? The second question, when on the internet do you open new pages in a separate window with Shift Enter, or do you open them in a new tab with Control enter? Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

Poppa Bear <heavens4real@...>

Thank you guys so far, it is interesting to see the variations of peoples way of doing this. My co worker thought that it was crazy that I wouldn’t use the num pad exclusively. She is awesome never the less.

[...]

Kenny Peyattt jr.

On a regular key board I use the regular arrow keys. Since the down arrow key and right arrow keys don't work on the laptop keyboard, I use the numpad on the laptop keyboard for the arrow keys.
Kenny Peyatt jr.

On 4/28/2016 2:24 AM, Poppa Bear wrote:

So, I was talking to another instructor the other day about JAWS keystrokes and she was saying that she always uses the arrow pad on the num pad for her reading navigation commands and I told her that I was just taught to use the arrows with the Jaws key for most of the same commands and I was wondering if I am the complete minority on this. Do most people use the arrow functions on the num pad, or do you use the arrow keys instead? The second question, when on the internet do you open new pages in a separate window with Shift Enter, or do you open them in a new tab with Control enter? Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

David Moore

Hi,
I have never used the arrow keys on the num pad. I have always used the regular arrow keys to navigate everything with JAWS and other screen readers. I am amazed that an instructor said that. I use laptops all the time, so I have learned not to use the num pad at all.  Once you learn the laptop key commands in JAWS, it is so much quicker, and I use all of those commands without thinking about it. Even if I am on a desktop, I change the JAWS keyboard layout to the laptop layout so I have access to the extra commands. The desktop key commands do not go away, the laptop commands are added to the ones you already have access to with the desktop. For example, holding down the caps lock and pressing J, K, and L will say previous, current, and next word with the laptop layout. I like this, because I do not have to take my hand off of the keyboard to go to the num pad and then back. Everyone I know who uses a desktop though, uses the regular arrow keys instead of the ones on the num pad. Very interesting this instructor said that. Take care.

Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:59 AM

[...]

Hi all,
David Moore here. I use shift+enter on the Internet all of the time. It is so much better for me to have every link open up in a new page so I do not have to keep going back with the back space. Wow, Shift+Enter is probably the key command I use the most on the web LOL! Take care.

[...]

Okay, I like working with multiple windows much better, because I can close a window when I am through with it, but that is totally my way. I am just more comfortable with multiple windows instead of tabbed browsing LOL! I use the arrow keys as well. This is a very interesting thread. It is fun hearing about how everyone uses their computers. Let’s keep this up.

Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:33 AM

[...]

Louise Johnson <herclouise@...>

Hi I most of the times use the arrow keys but there are a few things I use the number pad for. I love when not sure of a letter I will use the number five twice to get information. I also use the key pad for quick mouse commands. Hope this helps and can’t wait to see what others use Louise and princess Kiara

So, I was talking to another instructor the other day about JAWS keystrokes and she was saying that she always uses the arrow pad on the num pad for her reading navigation commands and I told her that I was just taught to use the arrows with the Jaws key for most of the same commands and I was wondering if I am the complete minority on this. Do most people use the arrow functions on the num pad, or do you use the arrow keys instead? The second question, when on the internet do you open new pages in a separate window with Shift Enter, or do you open them in a new tab with Control enter? Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

David Moore

Wow, Mike,
That is exactly what I do. This is a fun thread.

Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:19 AM

[...]

Hmmmm!
Why don’t the arrow keys work on a laptop? That is what I use on a laptop, because there is no num pad.

Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2016 2:52 PM

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

This is all good to know, because I have tended to just go for the Num
Pad, since it's all right there, unless I want to read a sentence or some
commands like that.

Just for fun, when I checked this, I used the Insert on the Six Pack and
the regular Down Arrow - worked fine.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

lucky1inct@... <mailto:lucky1inct@...>

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know
peace.
--Attributed to Jimi Hendrix

On 4/28/2016 2:24 AM, Poppa Bear wrote:

So, I was talking to another instructor the other day about JAWS
keystrokes and she was saying that she always uses the arrow pad on the
num pad for her reading navigation commands and I told her that I was
just taught to use the arrows with the Jaws key for most of the same
commands and I was wondering if I am the complete minority on this. Do
most people use the arrow functions on the num pad, or do you use the
arrow keys instead? The second question, when on the internet do you open
new pages in a separate window with Shift Enter, or do you open them in a
new tab with Control enter? Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I tend toward Tabs. We're as different as Democrats and Republicans - just don't need to know who's what.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Regards,Feliciano For tech tips and updates, LIKE www.facebook.com/theblindman12v <http://www.facebook.com/theblindman12v> Follow www.twitter.com/theblindman12v <http://www.twitter.com/theblindman12v>

On Apr 27, 2016, at 11:24 PM, Poppa Bear <heavens4real@... <mailto:heavens4real@...> > wrote:

So, I was talking to another instructor the other day about JAWS keystrokes and she was saying that she always uses the arrow pad on the num pad for her reading navigation commands and I told her that I was just taught to use the arrows with the Jaws key for most of the same commands and I was wondering if I am the complete minority on this. Do most people use the arrow functions on the num pad, or do you use the arrow keys instead? The second question, when on the internet do you open new pages in a separate window with Shift Enter, or do you open them in a new tab with Control enter? Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I give that number 5 a work out too, Louise.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

So, I was talking to another instructor the other day about JAWS
keystrokes and she was saying that she always uses the arrow pad on the
num pad for her reading navigation commands and I told her that I was
just taught to use the arrows with the Jaws key for most of the same
commands and I was wondering if I am the complete minority on this. Do
most people use the arrow functions on the num pad, or do you use the
arrow keys instead? The second question, when on the internet do you open
new pages in a separate window with Shift Enter, or do you open them in a
new tab with Control enter? Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Both are just the ticket, depending upon what you want to do.  Some data entry programs make good use of the JAWS cursor.  Lines having multiple fields can be quickly read and absorbed, and changes made. by clicking where needed.  However, it’s not so badly needed with documents, although, even here, it can sometimes come in handy.

Ted