jaws issues

Gery Gaubert <ggaubert@...>

Before the big windows 10 update I could press the windows key and arrow through all of the choices.  I could use the arrow keys to select all programs and other things.  I am unable to do this now.  Does anyone know how to get this resolved?

Val Paul

I'm afraid you're going to find that things we were able to do with the old windows, we can't do any more.

They seem to go round the houses before you can do an application.

I much prefer windows 7.

Val.

On 06/02/2018 17:38, Gery Gaubert wrote:

Before the big windows 10 update I could press the windows key and arrow through all of the choices.  I could use the arrow keys to select all programs and other things.  I am unable to do this now.  Does anyone know how to get this resolved?

David Moore

Hi all!

First of all, you can do even more in Win10 than you could in Windows 7, but you have to know what to do.

Here is how you navigate the start area in Win10.

Press the Windows key, and you are in a search box. Tab once, and you will hear mike. If you enter there, you can ask Cortana a question, just like asking SIRI.

If you tab past the mike, you are in a list. The power button is there, and your account button to open your Microsoft account. Tab again, and you are on your list of apps and programs. Now, you can down arrow through all of your programs. Tab past that, and you are on your app tiles. You can use all arrow keys to go from tile to tile, just like on a phone. Instead of all of that, though, you can just type the program or app you want to bring up in the search edit box.

For example, type:

Notepad in the search edit box, and you will hear Notepad as one of your choices. Just press enter, and Notepad will open. It is that simple to find a program and open it in the search area that is in Windows 7 as well. I have a lot of tutorials on using Windows 10, if you would like them. Windows 10 is different, but you can do everything you did in Windows 7, you just have to do it differently.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I'm afraid you're going to find that things we were able to do with the old windows, we can't do any more.

They seem to go round the houses before you can do an application.

I much prefer windows 7.

Val.

On 06/02/2018 17:38, Gery Gaubert wrote:

Before the big windows 10 update I could press the windows key and arrow through all of the choices.  I could use the arrow keys to select all programs and other things.  I am unable to do this now.  Does anyone know how to get this resolved?

Val Paul

Hi David!

On 06/02/2018 23:04, David Moore wrote:

Hi all!

First of all, you can do even more in Win10 than you could in Windows 7, but you have to know what to do.

Here is how you navigate the start area in Win10.I suppose when you've been used to something for so long, sometimes you don't like change!  {like me}

I find that as i'm getting older, it's harder to memorize things and keep them in that brain!
You said you had Windows 10 guides, i'm very interested in that.
The thing i'd like to know, is how to close down your computer.

Val.

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Val, when you are on the desktop, you can close your computer the way you always used to. Press the ALT key and hold it down. Then, if your function keys aren’t being used as media keys, press the F4 key which should be the fifth key from the left, at the top of the keyboard.

Your computer should say,

Shut Down Windows dialog
Select the option that best describes why you want to shut down the computer
What do you want the computer to do? Combo box
Shut down

Then just press ENTER. If your function keys aren’t working this way, you need someone to go into the UEFI and turn off Media Keys. This requires a sighted person who knows how to get into the BIOS or UEFI before the computer boots.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I'm afraid you're going to find that things we were able to do with the old windows, we can't do any more.

They seem to go round the houses before you can do an application.

I much prefer windows 7.

Val.

On 06/02/2018 17:38, Gery Gaubert wrote:

Before the big windows 10 update I could press the windows key and arrow through all of the choices.  I could use the arrow keys to select all programs and other things.  I am unable to do this now.  Does anyone know how to get this resolved?

netbat66

thats the fourth key. grin
with my keyboard there is a 1/2 inch space between the f4 and f5 keys.

Val, when you are on the desktop, you can close your computer the way you always used to. Press the ALT key and hold it down. Then, if your function keys aren’t being used as media keys, press the F4 key which should be the fifth key from the left, at the top of the keyboard.

Your computer should say,

Shut Down Windows dialog
Select the option that best describes why you want to shut down the computer
What do you want the computer to do? Combo box
Shut down

Then just press ENTER. If your function keys aren’t working this way, you need someone to go into the UEFI and turn off Media Keys. This requires a sighted person who knows how to get into the BIOS or UEFI before the computer boots.

Bill White

netbat66

i retract my reply , grin.
if you include the escape key which is not a function key then f4 would be the fifth key. grin

billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

I'm afraid you're going to find that things we were able to do with the old windows, we can't do any more.

They seem to go round the houses before you can do an application.

I much prefer windows 7.

Val.

On 06/02/2018 17:38, Gery Gaubert wrote:

Before the big windows 10 update I could press the windows key and arrow through all of the choices. I could use the arrow keys to select all programs and other things. I am unable to do this now. Does anyone know how to get this resolved?

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

If it's a laptop, usually the ESCAPE key is to the left of F1, making F4 the fifth key in from the left.

[...]

My keys are very close together in this hp. The dell was much better.

Val.

-----Original Message----- From: Bill White
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2018 5:52 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Val, when you are on the desktop, you can close your computer the way you always used to. Press the ALT key and hold it down. Then, if your function keys aren’t being used as media keys, press the F4 key which should be the fifth key from the left, at the top of the keyboard.

Your computer should say,

Shut Down Windows dialog
Select the option that best describes why you want to shut down the computer
What do you want the computer to do? Combo box
Shut down

Then just press ENTER. If your function keys aren’t working this way, you need someone to go into the UEFI and turn off Media Keys. This requires a sighted person who knows how to get into the BIOS or UEFI before the computer boots.

Bill White

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Remember, Val, you can always get a USB keyboard, plug it in, and stay away from the laptop keyboard on your laptop, if that feels more comfortable for you. By the way, on the laptop, it is the fifth key from the left, if the ESCAPE key is the first key on that top row.

Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2018 5:52 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Val, when you are on the desktop, you can close your computer the way
you always used to. Press the ALT key and hold it down. Then, if your
function keys aren’t being used as media keys, press the F4 key which
should be the fifth key from the left, at the top of the keyboard.

Your computer should say,

Shut Down Windows dialog
Select the option that best describes why you want to shut down the
computer
What do you want the computer to do? Combo box
Shut down

Then just press ENTER. If your function keys aren’t working this way,
you need someone to go into the UEFI and turn off Media Keys. This
requires a sighted person who knows how to get into the BIOS or UEFI
before the computer boots.

Bill White

Val Paul

Bill, i've got to be very careful, as the keys on this hp laptop are very close together, and not spaced out very well.

I'll look into getting a USB keyboard.

Do you have to enter the search USB     desktop key board?

Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2018 5:52 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Val, when you are on the desktop, you can close your computer the way
you always used to. Press the ALT key and hold it down. Then, if your
function keys aren’t being used as media keys, press the F4 key which
should be the fifth key from the left, at the top of the keyboard.

Your computer should say,

Shut Down Windows dialog
Select the option that best describes why you want to shut down the
computer
What do you want the computer to do? Combo box
Shut down

Then just press ENTER. If your function keys aren’t working this way,
you need someone to go into the UEFI and turn off Media Keys. This
requires a sighted person who knows how to get into the BIOS or UEFI
before the computer boots.

Bill White

Carol Smith

Hi Val,

I have not finished reading my email, so your question may have already been answered.  But, in case it was not, here is the easiest way to shut down your PC.  First, go to the desktop.
Press alt-F4
Find out where shutdown is on your PC.
Mine happens to be the next to last option, so I press the end key and up arrow one time.
Press enter on shutdown and you are finished.

Hope this helps.

Carol

On 2/6/2018 8:05 PM, Val Paul wrote:

[...]

Hi again, Val,

Another simple way is to press windows key plus x and then press the letter u twice.

[...]

Hi Carol!

Thanks so much.

Having a real bad day with this little madam of a computer!

Could be in the middle of writing an email, then, suddenly, it will revert back to desktop.

My friend told me that when windows updates itsself, this is what happens!

Is this correct?

Val.

On 07/02/2018 12:17, Carol Smith via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

I am probably (no, definitely) not the person to ask that, grin.  I am new to Win10 and leave my PC on at night in hopes that it will update while I sleep.  I know there are many people out there that will be happy to answer this question for you.  Best of luck with that issue.  I have seen this happen a few times, but nothing very extended where I could justify doing somethig about it.

Carol

On 2/7/2018 8:06 AM, Val Paul wrote:

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

My guess is that you might accidently touch the TouchPad and that this takes you to the desktop. Get somebody to check your function keys, there is usually one which disables the TouchPad and this may very well solve much of your problem. Having said this, I rarely type on my laptop when I am at home and prefer a Logitech wireless keyboard (I have the Logitech K780).

I'm afraid you're going to find that things we were able to do with the old windows, we can't do any more.

They seem to go round the houses before you can do an application.

I much prefer windows 7.

Val.

On 06/02/2018 17:38, Gery Gaubert wrote:

Before the big windows 10 update I could press the windows key and arrow through all of the choices.  I could use the arrow keys to select all programs and other things.  I am unable to do this now.  Does anyone know how to get this resolved?

Maria Campbell

You might have a touch pad right under the keys that you might be hitting accidentally.  It needs to be turned off.  For your own sanity, the sooner you get an external keyboard, probably the better.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--St. Francis

[...]

Someone turned the touchpad off for me, and showed me how to get to control pannel, to turn it off, but it keeps coming back.

Having a terrible day with the little horror!

Val.

On 07/02/2018 17:19, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

[...]

Hi Maria!

Bought a logetek this morning USB external keyboard, and its coming tomorrow!  [Can't wait!]

Val.

On 07/02/2018 17:24, Maria Campbell wrote:

[...]

I am also waiting for a new Linova laptop that I will have to blind proof.  LOL

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--St. Francis