How do you unprotect?

Shirley Tracy

Someone sent me an Excel document that I am supposed to print for them. But it is protected. Is there a JAWS command that will unprotect it?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Shirley Tracy

Jeff Christiansen

To only unprotect this document.
Press, F6, press enter.
Now tab twice and press enter.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shirley
Tracy
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2018 2:18 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: How do you unprotect?

Someone sent me an Excel document that I am supposed to print for them. But it
is protected. Is there a JAWS command that will unprotect it?

Shirley Tracy

GV-Knope, John (Greenville)

Try saving the document. Excel will ask if you trust the source of the document. When you save the workbook, you can print or edit it.

Hope this helps,

John

John F Knope
Student, CIS – Cloud Computing
ECPI University, Greenville Campus
Web site: www.ecpi.edu
Email: johkno3041@students.ecpi.edu

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shirley Tracy
Sent: Sunday, February 4, 2018 4:18 PM

Someone sent me an Excel document that I am supposed to print for them. But it is protected. Is there a JAWS command that will unprotect it?

Shirley Tracy

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

Alt F, I, E.

Sent: February 4, 2018 1:18 PM

Shirley Tracy

Barbara <batterseye@...>

Hello,

Interesting question. For both Jeff and Kevin which version of office does these steps work? I have run into the same issue with a MS Word document. Does these steps also work for MS Word? I personally did not know what to do and ended up opening the protected Word document inside Open Book. That worked and I could then read it. I doubt that would work for an Excel documents since you are dealing with all those columns and rows.

Thanks for answers to the above questions.

Barbara

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Hourigan
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2018 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: How do you unprotect?

Alt F, I, E.

Shirley Tracy

Marianne Denning

I think using the f6 and tabbing to "enable" and hitting enter whas worked at least since Office 2007. It only unprotects the document you are currently using but that I the way I prefer to do it. I don't want to turn off "protected view" for everything.

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 8:43 PM, Barbara <batterseye@...> wrote:
Hello,

Interesting question.  For both Jeff and Kevin which version of office does these steps work?  I have run into the same issue with a MS Word document.  Does these steps also work for MS Word?  I personally did not know what to do and ended up opening the protected Word document inside Open Book.  That worked and I could then read it.  I doubt that would work for an Excel documents since you are dealing with all those columns and rows.

Barbara

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Hourigan

Alt F, I, E.

Shirley Tracy

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
Teacher of students who are blind or visually impaired
(513) 607-6053

Shirley Tracy

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I only unprotected the one document I needed to print, and it worked fine. I truly appreciate this list.

Cheerfully,
Shirley Tracy

---- Marianne Denning <marianne@denningweb.com> wrote:

=============
I think using the f6 and tabbing to "enable" and hitting enter whas worked
at least since Office 2007. It only unprotects the document you are
currently using but that I the way I prefer to do it. I don't want to turn
off "protected view" for everything.

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 8:43 PM, Barbara <batterseye@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Hello,

Interesting question. For both Jeff and Kevin which version of office
does these steps work? I have run into the same issue with a MS Word
document. Does these steps also work for MS Word? I personally did not
know what to do and ended up opening the protected Word document inside
Open Book. That worked and I could then read it. I doubt that would work
for an Excel documents since you are dealing with all those columns and
rows.

Barbara

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin
Hourigan

Alt F, I, E.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shirley
Tracy

Someone sent me an Excel document that I am supposed to print for them.
But it is protected. Is there a JAWS command that will unprotect it?

Shirley Tracy

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
Teacher of students who are blind or visually impaired
(513) 607-6053

Mario

yes, alt, f, i, e, works for Word
as well.

-------- Original Message --------
Sent: Sunday, Feb 4, 2018 8:43 PM EST

Hello,

Interesting question. For both Jeff and Kevin which version of office
does these steps work? I have run into the same issue with a MS Word
document. Does these steps also work for MS Word? I personally did not
know what to do and ended up opening the protected Word document inside
Open Book. That worked and I could then read it. I doubt that would
work for an Excel documents since you are dealing with all those columns
and rows.

Barbara

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin
Hourigan

Alt F, I, E.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Shirley Tracy

Someone sent me an Excel document that I am supposed to print for them.
But it is protected. Is there a JAWS command that will unprotect it?

Shirley Tracy

Yes, it works in Word. If you wish to do it on a permanent basis you can eradicate Protected View in the Trust Center. However, the Trust Center is no longer coming up in the context menu for me; perhaps someone else can chime in with its new location. I am using Windows 10, Office 365, and Jaws 2018.
Cheers

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Barbara
Sent: February 4, 2018 5:44 PM

Hello,

Interesting question. For both Jeff and Kevin which version of office does these steps work? I have run into the same issue with a MS Word document. Does these steps also work for MS Word? I personally did not know what to do and ended up opening the protected Word document inside Open Book. That worked and I could then read it. I doubt that would work for an Excel documents since you are dealing with all those columns and rows.

Barbara

Alt F, I, E.

Shirley Tracy

I absolutely despise protected view in MS-Office since I never open Office files from untrusted sources.   If you wish to turn off protected view entirely, the following step-by-step instructions worked at least through Office 2013, and I believe Office 2016.  I don't have Office 365 available to experiment with.

Adjusting Protected View Settings in MS-Office Programs

1.        ALT+F to open the file tab/menu

2.       Hit ‘T’ to open the Options Dialog.

3.       Arrow Down until you hit Trust Center

4.      Either:

a.       Hit TAB until you come to the Trust Center Settings button then activate it.

b.      Hit ALT+T which will activate the Trust Center Settings Button.

5.       In the Trust Center Settings dialog, use up or down arrow to get to Protected View.  I say up or down because you will land on whatever setting the last person who used the Trust Center Settings was on, so Protected View could be above or below where you are.  You’ll have to listen until you hit it or reach the end and need to reverse direction.

6.      Once on Protected View, hit TAB to throw focus on to the checkboxes related to protected mode.  You should exercise additional caution in what you are willing to open as far as what comes to you via e-mail attachments or download from the internet, but if your sources are trusted (you know that they run antivirus programs or are major players with tight security) you will generally be fine.  You will want to uncheck the one or more of the following checkboxes, which you should encounter in this order:

a.       Enable Protected View for files originating from the Internet

b.      Enable Protected View for files located in potentially unsafe locations

c.       Enable Protected View for Outlook Attachments.

7.       There will be one additional checkbox, Enable data execution protection mode, which should be left checked.

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

If you don't like someone, the way he holds his spoon will make you furious; if you do like him, he can turn his plate over into your lap and you won't mind.     ~ Irving Becker

It works in Office 365.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: February 6, 2018 7:31 AM

I absolutely despise protected view in MS-Office since I never open Office files from untrusted sources.   If you wish to turn off protected view entirely, the following step-by-step instructions worked at least through Office 2013, and I believe Office 2016.  I don't have Office 365 available to experiment with.

1.        ALT+F to open the file tab/menu

2.       Hit ‘T’ to open the Options Dialog.

3.       Arrow Down until you hit Trust Center

4.      Either:

a.       Hit TAB until you come to the Trust Center Settings button then activate it.

b.      Hit ALT+T which will activate the Trust Center Settings Button.

5.       In the Trust Center Settings dialog, use up or down arrow to get to Protected View.  I say up or down because you will land on whatever setting the last person who used the Trust Center Settings was on, so Protected View could be above or below where you are.  You’ll have to listen until you hit it or reach the end and need to reverse direction.

6.      Once on Protected View, hit TAB to throw focus on to the checkboxes related to protected mode.  You should exercise additional caution in what you are willing to open as far as what comes to you via e-mail attachments or download from the internet, but if your sources are trusted (you know that they run antivirus programs or are major players with tight security) you will generally be fine.  You will want to uncheck the one or more of the following checkboxes, which you should encounter in this order:

a.       Enable Protected View for files originating from the Internet

b.      Enable Protected View for files located in potentially unsafe locations

c.       Enable Protected View for Outlook Attachments.

7.       There will be one additional checkbox, Enable data execution protection mode, which should be left checked.

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

If you don't like someone, the way he holds his spoon will make you furious; if you do like him, he can turn his plate over into your lap and you won't mind.     ~ Irving Becker

Dave...

Brian,

This sequence appears to not work with Office/Word 2007. Cannot find "protected view" in the trust center list. Any hints as to where else I could look?

Dave
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2018 07:30

1.        <!--[endif]-->ALT+F to open the file tab/menu

2.       <!--[endif]-->Hit ‘T’ to open the Options Dialog.

3.       <!--[endif]-->Arrow Down until you hit Trust Center

4.      <!--[endif]-->Either:

a       <!--[endif]-->Hit TAB until you come to the Trust Center Settings button then activate it.

b      <!--[endif]-->Hit ALT+T which will activate the Trust Center Settings Button.

5.       <!--[endif]-->In the Trust Center Settings dialog, use up or down arrow to get to Protected View.  I say up or down because you will land on whatever setting the last person who used the Trust Center Settings was on, so Protected View could be above or below where you are.  You’ll have to listen until you hit it or reach the end and need to reverse direction.

6.      <!--[endif]-->Once on Protected View, hit TAB to throw focus on to the checkboxes related to protected mode.  You should exercise additional caution in what you are willing to open as far as what comes to you via e-mail attachments or download from the internet, but if your sources are trusted (you know that they run antivirus programs or are major players with tight security) you will generally be fine.  You will want to uncheck the one or more of the following checkboxes, which you should encounter in this order:

a       <!--[endif]-->Enable Protected View for files originating from the Internet

b      <!--[endif]-->Enable Protected View for files located in potentially unsafe locations

c       <!--[endif]-->Enable Protected View for Outlook Attachments.

7.       <!--[endif]-->There will be one additional checkbox, Enable data execution protection mode, which should be left checked.

--

Dave,

Unfortunately not as I do not have a machine with a copy of Office 2007 running on it.  It's almost certainly got to be somewhere under Trust Center, perhaps a layer further down, but I can't even be 100% certain of that.  I had actually thought it was part of Trust Center since at least Office 2007, when the ribbon interface made its debut.
--