Date   
Subscription

Kat Taylor
 

Testing

Re: Good and accessible rss client for Windows

Hope Williamson <isepic@...>
 

You can sign up for it at https://feediary.com/ You can try it for free with 50 feeds. https://theoldreader.com is also good, but they limit the amount of feeds you can have, even if you pay for one of the premium plans.

Re: Severe JAWS stuttering

Don Mauck
 

Yes. I do however have a fast CPU with 16 GB of RAM.

-----Original Message-----
From: netbat66 <netbat66@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 6:25 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Severe JAWS stuttering

the problem is the voice synthisizer voices share the same on board computer c p u as all the other running programs. especially programs like that are continuely accessing the drive, like antivirus and malware bytes, listening to music or you tube etc.
the c p u will pause the sound card voice a few mili seconds so it can do something else. then turn the sound card back on and continue from where it left off.
you won't notice this if your c p u is fast enough.
you might be able to stop the stuttering if you use a dedicated sound card, not a u s b headphone. which still uses the c p u to process the sound.
they have there own sound processor to take the processing load off the computer c p u so it can do other chores

-----Original Message-----
From: Laura Richardson
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 3:15 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io ; 'JAWS Private Beta Group'
Subject: Re: Severe JAWS stuttering



I’m having the same issues on a Dell laptop with Windows 10 and Jaws 18.
Please let me know if you find out what the issue is …… Windows 10 or Jaws.



Laura







From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Mauck
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:25 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io; JAWS Private Beta Group
<JAWSBETA@...>
Subject: Severe JAWS stuttering





Sorry for the cross post. I’ve not seen any one on either list state this as an
issue, however, there are two of us here that are having the same problem. The
JAWS stutter gets so bad that you can’t complete any task. The speech will get
so bad that you think that JAWS has just crashed. It also obviously affects
scanning messages, documents and even just reading items off of your desktop.

Both of us also have Lenovo laptops and I’m not ruling that out either. The
interesting thing is that I disconnected my Braille display and it has gotten
much better, however, that’s not the kind of fix I want. I’m really interested
in any feedback I can get to resolve this. We are moth using the latest
JaWS2018, but I’ve seen this happening for a while and just thought it was my
Laptop. We are using Windows10 and we both tried different versions of JAWS
going back to JAWS16 and till have this problem.

Re: Severe JAWS stuttering

Don Mauck
 

Unfortunately, mine was already set to ‘1’. So, still struggling.

 

From: Cristóbal <cristobalmuli@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 9:21 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Severe JAWS stuttering

 

That and you can do other things like disabling all the pretty animations and dstuff that take constant PC resources.

As someone else suggested though, it may also be worth it to get a separate sound card too.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 6:22 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Severe JAWS stuttering

 

Hi Laura,

 

I had a stuttering problem with Windows 10 & Jaws and below is how I fixed it.  I don't think this is your and the others' problem, but it'll only take a minute to check it out.


How I fixed it:

1. Go to the control panel, & press enter on, Ease of Access Center.

 

2. Tab to, Make the computer easier to see, link & press enter.

 

3. Tab to, Set the thickness of the blinking cursor combobox,  It was at 3, but I changed it to 1, & this solved the stuttering problem.

 

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 4:28 PM

Subject: Re: Severe JAWS stuttering

 

I don’t have a brail display ……

 

Laura

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Mauck
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 5:38 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io; JAWS Private Beta Group <JAWSBETA@...>
Subject: Re: Severe JAWS stuttering

 

Do you have a Braille display? If so, try disconnecting it and run for a while. I’m keep track of this.

 

From: Laura Richardson <laurakr65@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 4:16 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io; JAWS Private Beta Group <JAWSBETA@...>
Subject: Re: Severe JAWS stuttering

 

I’m having the same issues on a Dell laptop with Windows 10 and Jaws 18.  Please let me know if you find out what the issue is …… Windows 10 or Jaws.

 

Laura

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Mauck
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:25 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io; JAWS Private Beta Group <JAWSBETA@...>
Subject: Severe JAWS stuttering

 

Sorry for the cross post. I’ve not seen any one on either list state this as an issue, however, there are two of us here that are having the same problem. The JAWS stutter gets so bad that you can’t complete any task. The speech will get so bad that you think that JAWS has just crashed. It also obviously affects scanning messages, documents and even just reading items off of your desktop.

Both of us also have Lenovo laptops and I’m not ruling that out either. The interesting thing is that I disconnected my Braille display and it has gotten much better, however, that’s not the kind of fix I want. I’m really interested in any feedback I can get to resolve this. We are moth using the latest JaWS2018, but I’ve seen this happening for a while and just thought it was my Laptop. We are using Windows10 and we both tried different versions of JAWS going back to JAWS16 and till have this problem.

Re: shut down sound for windows 10

Bill White
 

Well, I have the same problem as you, Maria, when it comes to the fan. And to make matters worse, Mine is a solid state drive, so no vibration either. People seem to forget that speech can shut down without the laptop shutting down. Also, if you try to force a shutdown when Windows is updating and speech is gone, you risk having to reinstall windows.

 

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Maria Campbell
Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 9:45 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

Not to be difficult here, but my new Lenovo laptop has the heat vent on the bottom, and I can feel the heat on the bottom when lifting it, but no air flow.  Also, I almost think I feel the vibration of the drive, but wouldn't want to stake my life on it.  I hear no fan.  However, if I listen very carefully, I can hear a bit of a click as my external speaker turns off when the laptop shuts down.  That's what separates us from the monkeys--finding work arounds.

 

 

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...
 
"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis
 

On 8/1/2018 12:02 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Back to laptops.  It will be the rarest of individuals who cannot feel whether the stream of very warm to hot air that ceaselessly issues from the heat sink vent on a laptop has stopped.  If it's on, even at idle, you will feel heat from this vent.  A CPU/APU is never anywhere near to room temperature when running and the fan is always on, even if at low speed.

The most reliable way to tell if a laptop is actually off is to check with your fingertips or palm placed just beside this vent exit.  If you don't feel anything the probability that the machine is off is as close to 100% as it's possible to get.

Most desktops are "noisy" enough that you can tell by listening if their fans are off.  They also have such large airflow and multiple vent points that the temperature differential of air coming out doesn't feel that much different than ambient air temperature indoors.  Laptops virtually always "feel hot" because of the confined spaces involved and the small fans involved, too.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill

 

Re: shut down sound for windows 10

Maria Campbell
 

Not to be difficult here, but my new Lenovo laptop has the heat vent on the bottom, and I can feel the heat on the bottom when lifting it, but no air flow.  Also, I almost think I feel the vibration of the drive, but wouldn't want to stake my life on it.  I hear no fan.  However, if I listen very carefully, I can hear a bit of a click as my external speaker turns off when the laptop shuts down.  That's what separates us from the monkeys--finding work arounds.



Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis

On 8/1/2018 12:02 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Back to laptops.  It will be the rarest of individuals who cannot feel whether the stream of very warm to hot air that ceaselessly issues from the heat sink vent on a laptop has stopped.  If it's on, even at idle, you will feel heat from this vent.  A CPU/APU is never anywhere near to room temperature when running and the fan is always on, even if at low speed.

The most reliable way to tell if a laptop is actually off is to check with your fingertips or palm placed just beside this vent exit.  If you don't feel anything the probability that the machine is off is as close to 100% as it's possible to get.

Most desktops are "noisy" enough that you can tell by listening if their fans are off.  They also have such large airflow and multiple vent points that the temperature differential of air coming out doesn't feel that much different than ambient air temperature indoors.  Laptops virtually always "feel hot" because of the confined spaces involved and the small fans involved, too.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill


Re: Slicers in Microsoft Excel.

Van Lant, Robin
 

I did a class once where they showed us slicers, but I have never had to use them.  This is probably a good instance for calling the Microsoft Accessibility hotline.   Same for the buttons.  I have seen when people create a macro in Excel and they can make a button to invoke the macros appear anywhere on the worksheet they want. I cannot imagine how to access that with speech, but you may be able to activate it by the regular macros menus, which is on the developer ribbon.

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Flor Lynch
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 5:28 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Slicers in Microsoft Excel.

 

Hi,

 

This is my first message here.

 

A friend has the problem of not being able to access what are called slicers, sometimes used in pivot tables, in Microsoft Excel. He writes:

 

Hi all,
 
Google has got me nowhere on this, so hoping some excel expert here can help

 
We have a lot of reports and dashboards built in excel at work. For filtering results, many of them use these visual sort of buttons called slicers.
Does anyone know if there is a way of accessing these slicers with a screen reader?
 
In addition, some have refresh buttons inside floating objects? Can I access those with screen readers?
 
Thanks,
Dave



This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114


If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Re: shut down sound for windows 10

Maria Campbell
 

I am amazed at the fact that the partially sighted on the list are so out of it so as to completely forget about the totally blind and how they have to deal with accessibility or the lack of it.



Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis

On 8/1/2018 11:56 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

Hi Ashleigh,

 

First of all, you must be partially sighted, but is it so hard to imagine all of us fully blind users who simply have no way to see any lights go out or not go out?

Also, if you use a desktop the monitor might go black, but any LED lights remain on since the monitor has it’s own power. I assume you would see the monitor going black, but once again a completely blind person of course will not.

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ashleigh Piccinino
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 3:28 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

 Normally, you should be able to hear the motor in your computer stop as it shuts down. Can you do this? If not, you should be able to see the light on your monitor go out. 

 


Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

I just deleted all other group messages and now only this thread is left with well over 50 messages, can’t believe a little shudown sound produced such a huge and at times heated dsiscussion.

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Robbins via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 7:38 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

Don,

 

I think this is the wrong JAWS list. I believe the one you are referring to is the Jaws-users-list I think Brian unsubscribed over there.

 

Al

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Walls
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 10:15 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

Brian, David requested that you top post.  Get with the program.

 

From: Brian Vogel

Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:54 PM

Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 02:19 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Attitudes matter because how users and developers understand accessibility and needs of customers will shape how accessible the end product will be. Technologies matter because without means of delivering on that attitudes, attempts at convincing the public and developers won’t be that strong. Thus, to me, lack of shutdown sounds is a small thing compared to attitudes of some developers who think it is okay to just design beautiful interfaces without giving thoughts to accessibility, and screen reader vendors are not exempt from this.

Amen!!   There really are important battles to be fought and won.  The presence or absence of a shutdown sound is definitely not one of them.  It's very nice to have, and I've made a major effort to find a way to provide one, but in the end it is a triviality for the very reason you state.  People were used to it, but that doesn't make it essential.  There are plenty of ways, most of which have now been mentioned repeatedly, to double check that a computer is powered down sans any system sound to indicate it's at least trying to get there.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill

Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

Back to laptops.  It will be the rarest of individuals who cannot feel whether the stream of very warm to hot air that ceaselessly issues from the heat sink vent on a laptop has stopped.  If it's on, even at idle, you will feel heat from this vent.  A CPU/APU is never anywhere near to room temperature when running and the fan is always on, even if at low speed.

The most reliable way to tell if a laptop is actually off is to check with your fingertips or palm placed just beside this vent exit.  If you don't feel anything the probability that the machine is off is as close to 100% as it's possible to get.

Most desktops are "noisy" enough that you can tell by listening if their fans are off.  They also have such large airflow and multiple vent points that the temperature differential of air coming out doesn't feel that much different than ambient air temperature indoors.  Laptops virtually always "feel hot" because of the confined spaces involved and the small fans involved, too.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill

Re: Severe JAWS stuttering

Mario
 

hi Mike, incidentally, the steps you have (go to control panel, ease of
access center, yada yada yada) also work in Windows 7. what if the
thickness of the blinking cursor combobox is already set to 1, anything
else to check that you can think of besides the other suggestions on
this subject? no pressure, if you don't, you don't.

-------- Original Message --------
From: Mike B. [mailto:mike9902@...]
Sent: Tuesday, Jul 31, 2018 9:21 PM EST
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Severe JAWS stuttering

Hi Laura,

I had a stuttering problem with Windows 10 & Jaws and below is how I fixed
it. I don't think this is your and the others' problem, but it'll only take
a minute to check it out.

How I fixed it:
1. Go to the control panel, & press enter on, Ease of Access Center.

2. Tab to, Make the computer easier to see, link & press enter.

3. Tab to, Set the thickness of the blinking cursor combobox, It was at 3,
but I changed it to 1, & this solved the stuttering problem.

Take care. Mike. Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In the
end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.
----- Original Message -----
From: Laura Richardson
To: main@jfw.groups.io ; 'JAWS Private Beta Group'
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 4:28 PM
Subject: Re: Severe JAWS stuttering


I don't have a brail display ..



Laura





From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Mauck
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 5:38 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io; JAWS Private Beta Group
<JAWSBETA@...>
Subject: Re: Severe JAWS stuttering



Do you have a Braille display? If so, try disconnecting it and run for a
while. I'm keep track of this.



From: Laura Richardson <laurakr65@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 4:16 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io; JAWS Private Beta Group
<JAWSBETA@...>
Subject: Re: Severe JAWS stuttering



I'm having the same issues on a Dell laptop with Windows 10 and Jaws 18.
Please let me know if you find out what the issue is .. Windows 10 or Jaws.



Laura





From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Mauck
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:25 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io; JAWS Private Beta Group
<JAWSBETA@...>
Subject: Severe JAWS stuttering



Sorry for the cross post. I've not seen any one on either list state this as
an issue, however, there are two of us here that are having the same
problem. The JAWS stutter gets so bad that you can't complete any task. The
speech will get so bad that you think that JAWS has just crashed. It also
obviously affects scanning messages, documents and even just reading items
off of your desktop.

Both of us also have Lenovo laptops and I'm not ruling that out either. The
interesting thing is that I disconnected my Braille display and it has
gotten much better, however, that's not the kind of fix I want. I'm really
interested in any feedback I can get to resolve this. We are moth using the
latest JaWS2018, but I've seen this happening for a while and just thought
it was my Laptop. We are using Windows10 and we both tried different
versions of JAWS going back to JAWS16 and till have this problem.

Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

Hi Ashleigh,

 

First of all, you must be partially sighted, but is it so hard to imagine all of us fully blind users who simply have no way to see any lights go out or not go out?

Also, if you use a desktop the monitor might go black, but any LED lights remain on since the monitor has it’s own power. I assume you would see the monitor going black, but once again a completely blind person of course will not.

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ashleigh Piccinino
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 3:28 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

 Normally, you should be able to hear the motor in your computer stop as it shuts down. Can you do this? If not, you should be able to see the light on your monitor go out. 

 

Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

Hi  Aleeha,

 

I have seen posts on Viphone where people complained that theire is no startup sound on the iPhone, don’t think I ever seen somebody wanting a shutdown sound, however. Of course it’s easy on the iPhone to check and in any ways, I never have seen any of my iPhones not shut down after I double tapped the “Power off” button. To check you can just wait 6 or 8 seconds and then flick the mute switch, if the iPhone was not shutdown you would feel the little vibration. In any case, maybe with the iPhone people don’t complain because very few people shut it down for any extended period of time whereas desktops and PC’s are still shutdown by many people on a regular bases instead of simply putting them to sleep. nobody

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Aleeha Dudley
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 10:54 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

What about the fact that the iPhone and Mac don’t and have never had, shut down sounds? Why are we not bashing Apple as well? The point that has been made that Microsoft should focus on more important accessibility features rather than focusing on the shut down sound. The shut down sound is not an accessibility feature. And you’re right: they’re spending more time on accessibility features than worrying about a petty little concern that doesn’t even conclusively indicate anything. The computer is not shut down when you hear the sound. It is only shut down when the fans and hard drive stop.

Aleeha

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Don H
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:34 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

Someone said if you uncheck fast startup in the power settings the

startup and shutdown sound options return.  On my system they do not.

I wonder how many people that have fast startup enabled know that this

does not do the same as a restart?  If you have fast startup enabled you

should on a regular basis do a system restart.  I have fast startup

disabled as I think a full shutdown gives you better overall

performance.  Can't think that a few more seconds for bootup is a

terrible thing.

 

 

 

 

Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

What exactly makes this a "stupid" solution?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 9:11 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

This is the stupidest solution I've ever encountered,but apparently it's the only one.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/94891-play-sound-shutdown-windows-10-a.html


On 7/30/2018 4:56 PM, Teresa wrote:
good afternoon list: how do I assign a sound when windows 10 shuts down? Thanks to all in advance.


Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

What exactly do you mean by "normal stuff"?
I also have pointed out that in some ways Windows 10 is a step back for accessibility especially with legacy applications where in Windows 7 the Jaws cursor could often be used to great effect. However, let's face it, accessibility has never received as much attention by these large organisations (Microsoft, Apple, Google, Facebook, Amazon etc.) as it is getting now and over the last 6 or 8 years. Apple started the ball rolling with Voiceover and while Microsoft the corporation is neither blind nor sighted since it doesn't have eyes, there are plenty of blind employees who are part of Microsoft and who probably do their best to push accessibility forward. Why a few people get their panties in such a wad over this shutdown sound is a mystery to me especially since instructions as to how to get it back have been posted and Brian has even posted his registry file which does it all for you. The result may not always be reliable for everybody, but those who want it should at least try it. Furthermore, as far as knowing whether a computer has shut down is not necessarily determined by its shutdown sound. I had situations where in Windows 7 the shutdown sound played and then a sighted employee told me my computer screen displayed some message which required action and the computer had not shut down. As Brian said, if you are that concerned and require the feedback and if you don't have a DVD drive, then plug in a USB stick and see if the computer plays any sounds.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of cecropia64
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:25 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

Problem is that Microsoft isn't blind.  They really have no idea how hard it can be for us.  If they did I think they'd put more effort into it.  I know they have come a long way but it would be nice if they made the normal stuff more useable as well, not just their own stuff.


On 7/31/2018 11:18 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:

MS doesn't give a rat's ass what the public thinks.  If it did, it
would have replaced the much-despised ribbon menu structure with the
more convenient and less cumbersome classic menu structure that most
of its customers, sighted and blind alike,  prefer. On the contrary,
MS seems to go out of its way to frustrate and tick off its customers
just to prove that they can do anything they damn well please and get
away with it.

Gerald



-----Original Message----- From: Aleeha Dudley
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 10:50 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

Hi all,
I am a very infrequent poster on this list, but I needed to contribute
on this one.
The lack of a shutdown sound does NOT indicate a lack of accessibility
You could always use a light detector app to determine if the screen
is off, or place your ear close to the computer to hear the different
sounds stop. Systems change. That’s a fact. The Mac, for example, does
not make the startup sound on the new machines. It’s sad, but it’s
true. In an age where people want faster operating systems and less
noise from machines, Microsoft has to go with what the public wants,
not a niche market. If you really think that Microsoft or any other
company is stepping back in terms of accessibility, I’d strongly
encourage you to do a bit of research into current accessibility
developments first.
Aleeha
On Jul 31, 2018, at 9:42 AM, David Ingram <dingram269@...>
wrote:

hi list members, what version of jaws are being used currently? If
the answers is jaws 2018 or jaws 17 then you should hear all system
sounds. I'currently using jaws version 16.  This means that if you're
using jaws 17 or 2018 with windows 10 version 1803 you should hear
all system soundsI'm going to check to see whether windows 10 version
1803 does the same with firefox?


-----Original Message-----
From: cecropia64 <cecropia64@...>
Sent: Jul 31, 2018 9:31 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

Maybe.  But that's what these lists are for.  To ask questions and
get answers if there are any to be had.


On 7/31/2018 10:17 AM, Alan Robbins via Groups.Io wrote:
I wish I had a dollar for every time this thread starts up on this
list as well as other lists. It seems to me there must be a reason
Microsoft stopped having a shut down sound. Has anyone ever taken
the time to research this or ask Microsoft? It would seem to me to
be energy better spend than repeatedly asking this question on
email lists.

Al

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard
Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 9:16 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

I disagree with that statement about Microsoft not caring about
accessibility. If this were so then why the major and continueing
improvements of Narrator and if this statement was true then Apple
also does not care about accessibility (which of course is not
true) because the iPhone makes neither a startup sound nor a
shutdown sound.



-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald
Levy
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 3:51 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10


Taking away the shutdown sound in Windows 10 proves once again that
MS really does not careabout accessibility, contrary to what some
list members believe to the contrary. What possible advantage is
there to having no audible means of confirming that your computer
has completely shut down? On some laptops, the cooling fan is so
weak that it is difficult to impossible to tell whether it is
running just by feeling or placing your ear next to the case, so
this may not be a reliable substitute for the shutdown sound.
Maybe someone who is smarter than me can explain how eliminating
the shutdown sound is an "improvement".

Gerald



Gerald



-----Original Message-----
From: Mario
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 8:50 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

in the meantime, it would be appreciated, I think by most blind
and/or sighted users, to send feedback to Microsoft pleeding that
the familiar Windows 7 shutdown sound be reenabled and that any wav
file can be assigned as it was possible with earlier versions of
Windows, i.e. via the sounds applett of the control panel.
there might be a chance MS would consider it if there were
compelling reasons such as for blind users who choose to completely
shutdown their system and are using a laptop (or desktop) that does
not have any means of testing to see if the system is truely
shutdown. the more the reasons that are reasonable, the better the
chance MS might do it. no?




-------- Original Message --------
From: cecropia64 [mailto:cecropia64@...]
Sent: Monday, Jul 30, 2018 7:35 PM EST
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: shut down sound for windows 10

yup, me too.  I'm gonna use Windows 7 until Microsoft says "no more".
But by then I hope to have learned enough about Windows 10 to at
least use it without too much of an issue.  We shall see about that.


On 7/30/2018 6:24 PM, Gerald Levy wrote:

So how can you tell for sure that your computer has shut down
completely if there is no sound like in Windows 7 and earlier? This
is yet another reason why I'm in no hurry to upgrade to Windows 10.

Gerald



-----Original Message----- From: Pastor Gil Pries
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 5:10 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

With Windows 10, there is no way to assign a shutdown sound.

Pastor Gil

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Teresa
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 1:56 PM
To: JFW <jfw@groups.io>
Subject: shut down sound for windows 10

good afternoon list: how do I assign a sound when windows 10 shuts
down?
Thanks to all in advance.














.
























Re: problem solved about not hearing system sounds after updating to latest version of windows10!

David Ingram
 

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Matzura <number6@...>
Sent: Aug 1, 2018 8:17 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: problem solved about not hearing system sounds after updating to latest version of windows10!

So what was the problem and how was it fixed?


On 8/1/2018 3:33 AM, David Ingram wrote:
Hi list members, it took a long time to fix concerning not hearing system sounds but everything is working as it should with windows 10 and system sounds. Jaws 16 works great with this new windows 10 update.


Hi list members, the problem was that after the update to the latest version of windows 10 that my jaws version 16 was working but I had no system sounds. After the repair of jaws 16 was done, I had other problems. What I did was to uninstall jaws 16 then reinstall jaws16. Now I have my jaws 16 and system sounds like I had before the windows 10 update.

Re: shut down sound for windows 10

Alan Robbins
 

Don,

 

I think this is the wrong JAWS list. I believe the one you are referring to is the Jaws-users-list I think Brian unsubscribed over there.

 

Al

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Walls
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 10:15 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

Brian, David requested that you top post.  Get with the program.

 

From: Brian Vogel

Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:54 PM

Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 02:19 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Attitudes matter because how users and developers understand accessibility and needs of customers will shape how accessible the end product will be. Technologies matter because without means of delivering on that attitudes, attempts at convincing the public and developers won’t be that strong. Thus, to me, lack of shutdown sounds is a small thing compared to attitudes of some developers who think it is okay to just design beautiful interfaces without giving thoughts to accessibility, and screen reader vendors are not exempt from this.

Amen!!   There really are important battles to be fought and won.  The presence or absence of a shutdown sound is definitely not one of them.  It's very nice to have, and I've made a major effort to find a way to provide one, but in the end it is a triviality for the very reason you state.  People were used to it, but that doesn't make it essential.  There are plenty of ways, most of which have now been mentioned repeatedly, to double check that a computer is powered down sans any system sound to indicate it's at least trying to get there.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill

Re: Severe JAWS stuttering

Mario
 

I have a similar issue with JAWS severely stuttering, and the computer
is a custom built machine that my dad had built for me to use when I
would go into his office. it does have a second (PCI) sound card, and in
tinkering to figure out what I can do to stop the stuttering, I updated
the drivers but no improvement occurred. then I tried turning off the
noise cancellation and audio enhancements of the sound card resulting
with little improvement but was still too much stuttering to deal with.
then I discovered that when I unloaded JAWS and loaded NVDA, the
stuttering dramatically decreased, and for some reason, had to uninstall
JAWS, and noticed that the stuttering was completely gone. NVDA was
talking flawlessly. but once I installed JAWS again, the stuttering came
back as if it wasn't tinkered with at all.

so, I concluded there was nothing I could do other to use NVDA with
minimal stuttering because I prefer to use JAWS some day.

from your reply, the problem is related to the processor? the computer
is running w7, J14 or 16 (forgot which one), 4 GB RAM, 1.6 GHZ Intel
(something). what could I try to make the stuttering go away while JAWS
is being used, any ideas?

-------- Original Message --------
From: netbat66 [mailto:netbat66@...]
Sent: Tuesday, Jul 31, 2018 8:25 PM EST
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Severe JAWS stuttering

the problem is the voice synthisizer voices share the same on board
computer c p u as all the other running programs. especially programs
like  that are continuely accessing the drive, like antivirus and
malware bytes,  listening to music or you tube etc.
the c p u will pause the  sound card  voice a few mili seconds so it can
do something else. then turn the sound card back on and continue from
where it left off.
you won't notice this if your c p u is fast enough.
you might be able to stop the stuttering if you use a dedicated sound
card, not a u s b headphone. which still uses the c p u to process the
sound.
they have there own sound processor to take the processing load off the
computer c p u so it can do other chores

-----Original Message----- From: Laura Richardson
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 3:15 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io ; 'JAWS Private Beta Group'
Subject: Re: Severe JAWS stuttering



I’m having the same issues on a Dell laptop with Windows 10 and Jaws 18.
Please let me know if you find out what the issue is …… Windows 10 or Jaws.



Laura







From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Mauck
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:25 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io; JAWS Private Beta Group
<JAWSBETA@...>
Subject: Severe JAWS stuttering





Sorry for the cross post. I’ve not seen any one on either list state
this as an issue, however, there are two of us here that are having the
same problem. The JAWS stutter gets so bad that you can’t complete any
task. The speech will get so bad that you think that JAWS has just
crashed. It also obviously affects scanning messages, documents and even
just reading items off of your desktop.

Both of us also have Lenovo laptops and I’m not ruling that out either.
The interesting thing is that I disconnected my Braille display and it
has gotten much better, however, that’s not the kind of fix I want. I’m
really interested in any feedback I can get to resolve this. We are moth
using the latest JaWS2018, but I’ve seen this happening for a while and
just thought it was my Laptop. We are using Windows10 and we both tried
different versions of JAWS going back to JAWS16 and till have this problem.










.

Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 10:15 PM, Don Walls wrote:
Brian, David requested that you top post.  Get with the program.
David does not run this group nor dictate to me my posting style.  I suggest you both learn to deal or learn to mute.  My posting record stands very well on its own and I do not have to comport to the style anyone else prefers.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill

Re: problem solved about not hearing system sounds after updating to latest version of windows10!

Steve Matzura
 

So what was the problem and how was it fixed?

On 8/1/2018 3:33 AM, David Ingram wrote:
Hi list members, it took a long time to fix concerning not hearing system sounds but everything is working as it should with windows 10 and system sounds. Jaws 16 works great with this new windows 10 update.