Date   

moderated Re: Is the following a JAWS 2020 bug?

Jessica D
 

Hello,

I've never seen jaws do this in more recent versions, including the August
update of 2020, which is currently ruoning on my elBraille, as I type.

I believe this issue hasn't occurred since jaws 16.

Thanks,

Jessica

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Longmore
Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2020 2:46 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Is the following a JAWS 2020 bug?

Yes, seems to be worse in 2021 beta although I will wait til final release
before making an actual comparison. This has been a JAWS issue for some
versions now.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ann Byrne
Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2020 10:10 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Is the following a JAWS 2020 bug?

I have more focus issues with 2021 also. We should both make bug reports so
they know they need to fix it!
At 08:01 AM 10/6/2020, you wrote:
To my fellow subscribers.
Every time I turn around I hear Lost focus, press alt tab.
I hope this bug is fixed when 2021 is released.
Many thanks.
Ron

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and
or Best Whishes, From Ron Kolesar Volunteer Certified Licensed
Emergency Communications Station And Volunteer Certified Licensed Ham
Radio Station With the Call Sign of KR3DOG Who's now also Ares and NIMS
Certified as well





moderated Re: Width of cell in Excel

NFB Lab 4
 

You must select the column before doing this, otherwise it will adjust to the width of the current cell
Thom

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2020 2:25 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Width of cell in Excel

in addition, alt h o i will automatically adjust the width of a column of cells to the longest width according to the number of characters.


On 10/6/2020 2:04 PM, Ann Byrne wrote:
The default width for a cell is 8.11 characters. if there is more text,
it spills over to the right into the next cell(s). There is a JAWS
setting, cell text visibility I think, that when checked will alert when
the text goes into additional space. Alt+h, o, w will tell you how wide
a cell is, and allow you to change the width.
At 12:37 PM 10/6/2020, you wrote:
Actually, how much text Will fit in a cell? Iâ?Tm told if you put too
much text in a cell it just plain doesnâ?Tt look right

On Sep 22, 2020, at 5:45 PM, Zel Iscel <zel@inclusiveworld.com.au>
wrote:

Cheers Anne, Iâ?Tll try that next time.

Zel Iscel
Inclusive World
Principle Consultant

Mobile: +61 0413813885
Email: zel@inclusiveworld.com.au

On 23 Sep 2020, at 5:14 am, Ann Byrne <annakb@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Often if the screen is restored, not maximized, the commands
don't work as advertised.
At 02:38 PM 9/22/2020, you wrote:

For automatic row height adjustment, it's alt h then o then a.

To manually adjust row height, it's alt h then o then h.

For automatic column width, it's alt h then o then i.

To manually adjust column width, it's alt h then o then w.



My Jaws versions of 2018 and 2019 don't always respond to these
commands so I press alt h then tab to cells format then press enter,
and I can choose between row height, column width,etc with the up and
down arrows. Or sometimes I'll restart Jaws, but that doesn't always
help either.



Hope that helps.



Zel



image001.jpg



Zel Iscel

Disability Specialist

Inclusive World

Mobile: 0413813885

Email: <mailto:zel@inclusiveworld.com.au>zel@inclusiveworld.com.au



From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard
Turner
Sent: Wednesday, 23 September 2020 3:10 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Width of cell in Excel



Well, it seems to be less obvious these days.

I'll post a link to a Microsoft support page below, but one way to
get there is to press alt+q, type cell width, arrow down to cell width
and hit enter.



Maybe there is a more direct way.



Here is the page I got from searching the web:

<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-the-column-width-and-row-height-72f5e3cc-994d-43e8-ae58-9774a0905f46>;https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-the-column-width-and-row-height-72f5e3cc-994d-43e8-ae58-9774a0905f46








Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he
must pass himself," and we forget that only grace can break the cycle
of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have
regretted not granting grace to others, I've never once regretted
extending it.)" - Edward Herbert



From: <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io
<<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of kevin meyers
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 10:48 AM
To: <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Width of cell in Excel





Hello, I'm using most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2020.
I'm also using Office 2016. I want to change the width of a cell. When
I got to the spot to change the width it said it was 8.11. Is that the
number of characters that can fit in the cell?

Then to change the width of a entire column, I would have to
highlight the column and then make the size of the cell wider. Cheers,
Kevin















.


moderated Re: Is the following a JAWS 2020 bug?

Dan Longmore
 

Yes, seems to be worse in 2021 beta although I will wait til final release
before making an actual comparison. This has been a JAWS issue for some
versions now.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ann Byrne
Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2020 10:10 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Is the following a JAWS 2020 bug?

I have more focus issues with 2021 also. We should both make bug reports so
they know they need to fix it!
At 08:01 AM 10/6/2020, you wrote:
To my fellow subscribers.
Every time I turn around I hear Lost focus, press alt tab.
I hope this bug is fixed when 2021 is released.
Many thanks.
Ron

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and
or Best Whishes, From Ron Kolesar Volunteer Certified Licensed
Emergency Communications Station And Volunteer Certified Licensed Ham
Radio Station With the Call Sign of KR3DOG Who's now also Ares and NIMS
Certified as well





moderated Re: Width of cell in Excel

Mario
 

in addition, alt h o i will automatically adjust the width of a column of cells to the longest width according to the number of characters.

On 10/6/2020 2:04 PM, Ann Byrne wrote:
The default width for a cell is 8.11 characters.  if there is more text, it spills over to the right into the next cell(s).  There is a JAWS setting, cell text visibility I think, that when checked will alert when the text goes into additional space.  Alt+h, o, w will tell you how wide a cell is, and allow you to change the width.
At 12:37 PM 10/6/2020, you wrote:
Actually, how much text Will fit in a cell? Iâ?Tm told if you put too much text in a cell it just plain doesnâ?Tt look right

On Sep 22, 2020, at 5:45 PM, Zel Iscel <zel@inclusiveworld.com.au>
wrote:

Cheers Anne, Iâ?Tll try that next time.

Zel Iscel
Inclusive World
Principle Consultant

Mobile: +61 0413813885
Email: zel@inclusiveworld.com.au

On 23 Sep 2020, at 5:14 am, Ann Byrne <annakb@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Often if the screen is restored, not maximized, the commands
don't work as advertised.
At 02:38 PM 9/22/2020, you wrote:

For automatic row height adjustment, it's alt h then o then a.

To manually adjust row height, it's alt h then o then h.

For automatic column width, it's alt h then o then i.

To manually adjust column width, it's alt h then o then w.



My Jaws versions of 2018 and 2019 don't always respond to these
commands so I press alt h then tab to cells format then press enter, and I can choose between row height, column width,etc with the up and down arrows. Or sometimes I'll restart Jaws, but that doesn't always help either.



Hope that helps.



Zel



image001.jpg



Zel Iscel

Disability Specialist

Inclusive World

Mobile: 0413813885

Email: <mailto:zel@inclusiveworld.com.au>zel@inclusiveworld.com.au



From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard
Turner
Sent: Wednesday, 23 September 2020 3:10 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Width of cell in Excel



Well, it seems to be less obvious these days.

I'll post a link to a Microsoft support page below, but one way to
get there is to press alt+q, type cell width, arrow down to cell width and hit enter.



Maybe there is a more direct way.



Here is the page I got from searching the web:

<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-the-column-width-and-row-height-72f5e3cc-994d-43e8-ae58-9774a0905f46>;https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-the-column-width-and-row-height-72f5e3cc-994d-43e8-ae58-9774a0905f46







Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he
must pass himself," and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I've never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert



From: <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io
<<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of kevin meyers
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 10:48 AM
To: <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Width of cell in Excel





Hello, I'm using most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2020.
I'm also using Office 2016. I want to change the width of a cell. When I got to the spot to change the width it said it was 8.11. Is that the number of characters that can fit in the cell?

Then to change the width of a entire column, I would have to
highlight the column and then make the size of the cell wider. Cheers, Kevin










.


moderated Re: Width of cell in Excel

Milton Ota
 

If you need a wider cell in a spreadsheet an option is to merge cells and you don't have to worry about word wrap. Generally I have found that if you are using the default cells across a row, you can get eight cells in portrate mode on an 8.5 by 11 inch sheet of paper.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of brian albriton
Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2020 12:38 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Width of cell in Excel

Actually, how much text Will fit in a cell? I’m told if you put too much text in a cell it just plain doesn’t look right

On Sep 22, 2020, at 5:45 PM, Zel Iscel <zel@inclusiveworld.com.au> wrote:

Cheers Anne, I’ll try that next time.

Zel Iscel
Inclusive World
Principle Consultant

Mobile: +61 0413813885
Email: zel@inclusiveworld.com.au

On 23 Sep 2020, at 5:14 am, Ann Byrne <annakb@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Often if the screen is restored, not maximized, the commands don't work as advertised.
At 02:38 PM 9/22/2020, you wrote:

For automatic row height adjustment, it's alt h then o then a.

To manually adjust row height, it's alt h then o then h.

For automatic column width, it's alt h then o then i.

To manually adjust column width, it's alt h then o then w.



My Jaws versions of 2018 and 2019 don't always respond to these commands so I press alt h then tab to cells format then press enter, and I can choose between row height, column width,etc with the up and down arrows. Or sometimes I'll restart Jaws, but that doesn't always help either.



Hope that helps.



Zel



image001.jpg



Zel Iscel

Disability Specialist

Inclusive World

Mobile: 0413813885

Email: <mailto:zel@inclusiveworld.com.au>zel@inclusiveworld.com.au



From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard
Turner
Sent: Wednesday, 23 September 2020 3:10 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Width of cell in Excel



Well, it seems to be less obvious these days.

I'll post a link to a Microsoft support page below, but one way to get there is to press alt+q, type cell width, arrow down to cell width and hit enter.



Maybe there is a more direct way.



Here is the page I got from searching the web:

<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-the-column-width-
and-row-height-72f5e3cc-994d-43e8-ae58-9774a0905f46>https://support.
microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-the-column-width-and-row-height-72
f5e3cc-994d-43e8-ae58-9774a0905f46







Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must
pass himself," and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of
ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have
regretted not granting grace to others, I've never once regretted
extending it.)" - Edward Herbert



From: <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io
<<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of kevin
meyers
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 10:48 AM
To: <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Width of cell in Excel





Hello, I'm using most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2020. I'm also using Office 2016. I want to change the width of a cell. When I got to the spot to change the width it said it was 8.11. Is that the number of characters that can fit in the cell?

Then to change the width of a entire column, I would have to
highlight the column and then make the size of the cell wider.
Cheers, Kevin









moderated Re: Width of cell in Excel

Ann Byrne
 

The default width for a cell is 8.11 characters. if there is more text, it spills over to the right into the next cell(s). There is a JAWS setting, cell text visibility I think, that when checked will alert when the text goes into additional space. Alt+h, o, w will tell you how wide a cell is, and allow you to change the width.

At 12:37 PM 10/6/2020, you wrote:
Actually, how much text Will fit in a cell? I’m told if you put too much text in a cell it just plain doesn’t look right

On Sep 22, 2020, at 5:45 PM, Zel Iscel <zel@inclusiveworld.com.au> wrote:

Cheers Anne, I’ll try that next time.

Zel Iscel
Inclusive World
Principle Consultant

Mobile: +61 0413813885
Email: zel@inclusiveworld.com.au

On 23 Sep 2020, at 5:14 am, Ann Byrne <annakb@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Often if the screen is restored, not
maximized, the commands don't work as advertised.
At 02:38 PM 9/22/2020, you wrote:

For automatic row height adjustment, it's alt h then o then a.

To manually adjust row height, it's alt h then o then h.

For automatic column width, it's alt h then o then i.

To manually adjust column width, it's alt h then o then w.



My Jaws versions of 2018 and 2019 don't
always respond to these commands so I press alt h then tab to cells format then press enter, and I can choose between row height, column width,etc with the up and down arrows. Or sometimes I'll restart Jaws, but that doesn't always help either.



Hope that helps.



Zel



image001.jpg



Zel Iscel

Disability Specialist

Inclusive World

Mobile: 0413813885

Email: <mailto:zel@inclusiveworld.com.au>zel@inclusiveworld.com.au



From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Wednesday, 23 September 2020 3:10 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Width of cell in Excel



Well, it seems to be less obvious these days.

I'll post a link to a Microsoft support
page below, but one way to get there is to press alt+q, type cell width, arrow down to cell width and hit enter.



Maybe there is a more direct way.



Here is the page I got from searching the web:

<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-the-column-width-and-row-height-72f5e3cc-994d-43e8-ae58-9774a0905f46>;https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-the-column-width-and-row-height-72f5e3cc-994d-43e8-ae58-9774a0905f46







Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the
bridge over which he must pass himself," and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I've never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert



From:
<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io <<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of kevin meyers
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 10:48 AM
To: <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Width of cell in Excel





Hello, I'm using most recent versions of
windows10 and Jaws2020. I'm also using Office 2016. I want to change the width of a cell. When I got to the spot to change the width it said it was 8.11. Is that the number of characters that can fit in the cell?

Then to change the width of a entire
column, I would have to highlight the column and then make the size of the cell wider. Cheers, Kevin











moderated Re: Width of cell in Excel

Mario
 

depends on the width of the cell.

On 10/6/2020 1:37 PM, brian albriton wrote:
Actually, how much text Will fit in a cell? I’m told if you put too much text in a cell it just plain doesn’t look right

On Sep 22, 2020, at 5:45 PM, Zel Iscel <zel@inclusiveworld.com.au> wrote:

Cheers Anne, I’ll try that next time.

Zel Iscel
Inclusive World
Principle Consultant

Mobile: +61 0413813885
Email: zel@inclusiveworld.com.au

On 23 Sep 2020, at 5:14 am, Ann Byrne <annakb@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Often if the screen is restored, not maximized, the commands don't work as advertised.
At 02:38 PM 9/22/2020, you wrote:

For automatic row height adjustment, it's alt h then o then a.

To manually adjust row height, it's alt h then o then h.

For automatic column width, it's alt h then o then i.

To manually adjust column width, it's alt h then o then w.



My Jaws versions of 2018 and 2019 don't always respond to these commands so I press alt h then tab to cells format then press enter, and I can choose between row height, column width,etc with the up and down arrows. Or sometimes I'll restart Jaws, but that doesn't always help either.



Hope that helps.



Zel



image001.jpg



Zel Iscel

Disability Specialist

Inclusive World

Mobile: 0413813885

Email: <mailto:zel@inclusiveworld.com.au>zel@inclusiveworld.com.au



From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Wednesday, 23 September 2020 3:10 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Width of cell in Excel



Well, it seems to be less obvious these days.

I'll post a link to a Microsoft support page below, but one way to get there is to press alt+q, type cell width, arrow down to cell width and hit enter.



Maybe there is a more direct way.



Here is the page I got from searching the web:

<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-the-column-width-and-row-height-72f5e3cc-994d-43e8-ae58-9774a0905f46>;https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-the-column-width-and-row-height-72f5e3cc-994d-43e8-ae58-9774a0905f46







Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself," and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I've never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert



From: <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io <<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of kevin meyers
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 10:48 AM
To: <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Width of cell in Excel





Hello, I'm using most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2020. I'm also using Office 2016. I want to change the width of a cell. When I got to the spot to change the width it said it was 8.11. Is that the number of characters that can fit in the cell?

Then to change the width of a entire column, I would have to highlight the column and then make the size of the cell wider. Cheers, Kevin








.


moderated Re: Width of cell in Excel

brian albriton
 

Actually, how much text Will fit in a cell? I’m told if you put too much text in a cell it just plain doesn’t look right

On Sep 22, 2020, at 5:45 PM, Zel Iscel <zel@inclusiveworld.com.au> wrote:

Cheers Anne, I’ll try that next time.

Zel Iscel
Inclusive World
Principle Consultant

Mobile: +61 0413813885
Email: zel@inclusiveworld.com.au

On 23 Sep 2020, at 5:14 am, Ann Byrne <annakb@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Often if the screen is restored, not maximized, the commands don't work as advertised.
At 02:38 PM 9/22/2020, you wrote:

For automatic row height adjustment, it's alt h then o then a.

To manually adjust row height, it's alt h then o then h.

For automatic column width, it's alt h then o then i.

To manually adjust column width, it's alt h then o then w.



My Jaws versions of 2018 and 2019 don't always respond to these commands so I press alt h then tab to cells format then press enter, and I can choose between row height, column width,etc with the up and down arrows. Or sometimes I'll restart Jaws, but that doesn't always help either.



Hope that helps.



Zel



image001.jpg



Zel Iscel

Disability Specialist

Inclusive World

Mobile: 0413813885

Email: <mailto:zel@inclusiveworld.com.au>zel@inclusiveworld.com.au



From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Wednesday, 23 September 2020 3:10 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Width of cell in Excel



Well, it seems to be less obvious these days.

I'll post a link to a Microsoft support page below, but one way to get there is to press alt+q, type cell width, arrow down to cell width and hit enter.



Maybe there is a more direct way.



Here is the page I got from searching the web:

<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-the-column-width-and-row-height-72f5e3cc-994d-43e8-ae58-9774a0905f46>;https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-the-column-width-and-row-height-72f5e3cc-994d-43e8-ae58-9774a0905f46







Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself," and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I've never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert



From: <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io <<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of kevin meyers
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 10:48 AM
To: <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Width of cell in Excel





Hello, I'm using most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2020. I'm also using Office 2016. I want to change the width of a cell. When I got to the spot to change the width it said it was 8.11. Is that the number of characters that can fit in the cell?

Then to change the width of a entire column, I would have to highlight the column and then make the size of the cell wider. Cheers, Kevin









moderated Re: Is the following a JAWS 2020 bug?

Richard Turner
 

That item is unchecked for me, but I still get the announcement at times using Jaws 2021 beta.

I'm not sure it is a bug to be told Jaws is lost, that is a good feature; However, the fact that Jaws loses focus as much as it does is a bug in my opinion.



Richard
"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Goldfield
Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2020 6:28 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Is the following a JAWS 2020 bug?

You could press insert-V for the JAWS options dialog, type "focus"
without the quotes and ensure that focus loss announcement is not checked. As Jessica asked giving us more info might help.
Are you using the latest build of JAWS 2020 from August?
What version of Windows are you using?
If Windows 10 which build or version of Win10? You could type "winver"
in the run dialog to get this information.
Does this happen in a particular program?

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist JAWS Certified, 2019

https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.davidgoldfield.org%2F&;amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cd8c5b7cdd6964ef0c5d308d869fba73c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637375876839674603&amp;sdata=yNuRGU0HipVqAXrgMcEQXDNmnpteVRFxHf%2FQ9%2FrEwsI%3D&amp;reserved=0

On 10/6/2020 9:19 AM, Jessica D wrote:
Hi Ron,

I'm not experiencing this issue.

Could you tell us more about your system?

What version of the Operating system are you running?
Is it the home or pro version?
Is your jaws up-to-date?

Thanks,

Jessica


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ron Kolesar
Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2020 9:02 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Is the following a JAWS 2020 bug?

To my fellow subscribers.
Every time I turn around I hear Lost focus, press alt tab.
I hope this bug is fixed when 2021 is released.
Many thanks.
Ron

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards
and or Best Whishes, From Ron Kolesar Volunteer Certified Licensed
Emergency Communications Station And Volunteer Certified Licensed Ham
Radio Station With the Call Sign of KR3DOG Who's now also Ares and
NIMS Certified as well













moderated Re: Is the following a JAWS 2020 bug?

Ann Byrne
 

I have more focus issues with 2021 also. We should both make bug reports so they know they need to fix it!

At 08:01 AM 10/6/2020, you wrote:
To my fellow subscribers.
Every time I turn around I hear Lost focus, press alt tab.
I hope this bug is fixed when 2021 is released.
Many thanks.
Ron

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or
Best Whishes, From
Ron Kolesar
Volunteer Certified Licensed Emergency Communications Station
And
Volunteer Certified Licensed Ham Radio Station
With the Call Sign of KR3DOG
Who's now also Ares and NIMS Certified as well





moderated Re: Is the following a JAWS 2020 bug?

David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...>
 

You could press insert-V for the JAWS options dialog, type "focus" without the quotes and ensure that focus loss announcement is not checked. As Jessica asked giving us more info might help.
Are you using the latest build of JAWS 2020 from August?
What version of Windows are you using?
If Windows 10 which build or version of Win10? You could type "winver" in the run dialog to get this information.
Does this happen in a particular program?

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org

On 10/6/2020 9:19 AM, Jessica D wrote:
Hi Ron,

I'm not experiencing this issue.

Could you tell us more about your system?

What version of the Operating system are you running?
Is it the home or pro version?
Is your jaws up-to-date?

Thanks,

Jessica


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ron Kolesar
Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2020 9:02 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Is the following a JAWS 2020 bug?

To my fellow subscribers.
Every time I turn around I hear Lost focus, press alt tab.
I hope this bug is fixed when 2021 is released.
Many thanks.
Ron

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or
Best Whishes, From Ron Kolesar Volunteer Certified Licensed Emergency
Communications Station And Volunteer Certified Licensed Ham Radio Station
With the Call Sign of KR3DOG Who's now also Ares and NIMS Certified as well












moderated Re: Is the following a JAWS 2020 bug?

Jessica D
 

Hi Ron,

I'm not experiencing this issue.

Could you tell us more about your system?

What version of the Operating system are you running?
Is it the home or pro version?
Is your jaws up-to-date?

Thanks,

Jessica

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ron Kolesar
Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2020 9:02 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Is the following a JAWS 2020 bug?

To my fellow subscribers.
Every time I turn around I hear Lost focus, press alt tab.
I hope this bug is fixed when 2021 is released.
Many thanks.
Ron

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or
Best Whishes, From Ron Kolesar Volunteer Certified Licensed Emergency
Communications Station And Volunteer Certified Licensed Ham Radio Station
With the Call Sign of KR3DOG Who's now also Ares and NIMS Certified as well


moderated Is the following a JAWS 2020 bug?

Ron Kolesar
 

To my fellow subscribers.
Every time I turn around I hear Lost focus, press alt tab.
I hope this bug is fixed when 2021 is released.
Many thanks.
Ron

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or
Best Whishes, From
Ron Kolesar
Volunteer Certified Licensed Emergency Communications Station
And
Volunteer Certified Licensed Ham Radio Station
With the Call Sign of KR3DOG
Who's now also Ares and NIMS Certified as well


moderated Re: epub editors

Bill White
 

Hi, Juan. The genres of literature to which you refer are spelled Wuxia and Xianxia, not woxia and xenxia.

 

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Juan Hernandez
Sent: Monday, October 5, 2020 9:26 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: epub editors

 

Hi all, are there any accessible software packages that I can use to edit a non-drm epub ebook?

 

I love reading a lot of woxia xenxia chinies cultivation literature and a lot of it sometimes comes in parts, or what eer and I’d like to be able to clean up some of these titles before reading.

 

Best,

 

Juan   

 


moderated epub editors

Juan Hernandez
 

Hi all, are there any accessible software packages that I can use to edit a non-drm epub ebook?

 

I love reading a lot of woxia xenxia chinies cultivation literature and a lot of it sometimes comes in parts, or what eer and I’d like to be able to clean up some of these titles before reading.

 

Best,

 

Juan   

 


moderated Re: what are everyone using to read pdf files

Milton Ota
 

I have several different programs that I have in my toolbox but if you have been following the progress of updates for JAWS from Vispero/Freedom Scientific the OCR program that is part of JAWS 2020 and beyond will do a great job of reading PDF’s.

 

The OCR program that is part of JAWS will also scan a print page if you have a scanner that is either a flatbed or a camera like the Pearl from Freedom Scientific.

 

If you are interested in knowing what programs I have in my toolbox you will need to write me off list.

 

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jasmine Kotsay
Sent: Monday, October 5, 2020 6:33 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: what are everyone using to read pdf files

 

Hi,

I know this is super late, but I use Abbyy Fine Reader. I love it! It is expensive, but it is well worth it, because it also reads PDFs that are images. It makes for a very useful tool, and I feel as though it pays for itself within even the first couple of uses.



On Aug 24, 2020, at 7:36 AM, dennis <dennisc67@...> wrote:



hi list. i'm having a problem with acrobat dc and wondered what everyone are using. i can't seam to find a free version of acrobat dc. thanks for any info.

--
Dennis Cornelison Contemporary Music Director AUMC 256-426-0108

 

Virus-free. www.avast.com


moderated Re: what are everyone using to read pdf files

Jasmine Kotsay
 

Hi,
I know this is super late, but I use Abbyy Fine Reader. I love it! It is expensive, but it is well worth it, because it also reads PDFs that are images. It makes for a very useful tool, and I feel as though it pays for itself within even the first couple of uses.

On Aug 24, 2020, at 7:36 AM, dennis <dennisc67@...> wrote:



hi list. i'm having a problem with acrobat dc and wondered what everyone are using. i can't seam to find a free version of acrobat dc. thanks for any info.

--
Dennis Cornelison Contemporary Music Director AUMC 256-426-0108

Virus-free. www.avast.com


moderated Re: I'm encountering a very strange sound card issue with trying to switch JAWS to an internal card.

Don Risavy, Jr. <djrisavyjr@...>
 

You'll need to make the external sound card the default card either by
searching for it through system settings (windows) or the control panel and
set it as the default sound card then have jaws use the on board sound card
which this can be done through jaws (insert+j), u for utilities and then
locate sound card settings and open it and then use the on board sound card
for jaws to use only instead of the default sound card which the default
sound card by default will be the on board sound card unless change it to
another sound card either an external one or internal one.
This wil allow for any sounds or audio/music to come out of the external
sound card and jaws will talk through the on board sound card only.
This is how have my computer set up to do as use my sound blaster Audigy
internal soundcard and separate speakers for music and any other audio and
then the on board Realtek sound card just for jaws.
So hope that might help.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin Minor
Sent: October 4, 2020 10:05 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: I'm encountering a very strange sound card issue with trying to
switch JAWS to an internal card.

Hi Orlando.

If you plug in headphones into the Yeti while Starting Windows, you'll hear
your sounds through it. I agree, it's annoying, but at least I know what to
do.

Kevin and Jilly the flying doggie

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Orlando Enrique
Fiol via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, October 4, 2020 9:25 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: I'm encountering a very strange sound card issue with trying to
switch JAWS to an internal card.

At 12:28 PM 10/3/2020, Mike B wrote:
>To my knowledge, which isn't much, when playing music or system sounds
they >have to come through the computers internal default sound card. I've
never >been able to figure out how to make music and system sounds use the
external >sound card so Jaws could be the only thing using the default
internal >sound card. If someone can tell us how to do this I would be
eternally >grateful as well.

Windows allows any registered device to play any application's audio, with
the exception of system sounds, which are always mapped to the default audio
device. So, if your media player shows up in the sound mixer applet or the
old SNDVol control, you can have it play through any device you have. You
can even have different media players or web browsers play through different
audio devices from the default.

Thank God, your question has a simple answer. Speaking of Yeti, I have a
Blue Yeti stereo USB microphone that sounds fantastic and has four polarity
patterns. However, one of the "features" that probably seemed like a good
idea to the Yeti's developers is proving to be a throbbing headache for me.
The Yeti has a stereo eighth-inch headphone jack intended to allow users to
monitor their mic output without intermediary devices. The problem is that
this headphone output shows up in Windows as a Yeti speaker, which is, of
course, a phantom silent device. Disabling it in its properties is the only
way to keep it from appearing. Uninstalling it via the Device Manager only
lasts until plug&play picks it up during the next reboot.
Most annoying of all, Windows defaults to this phantom Yeti device

during installations, in the advanced boot menu and safe mode. I've combed
the registry for references to it. Why this phantom device would end up
being the pre-Windows default boggles my mind, and there's apparently
nothing I can do to make Windows use my USB audio device or the
motherboard's sound card to run narrator before Windows proper loads.
My only workaround is to unplug the Yeti from its USB port whenever I know
I'll be using Narrator before Windows loads with my actual sound
configuration.
Riddle me all this, my fellow blind geniuses!
Orlando Enrique Fiol
Charlotte, North Carolina
Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist and Pedagogue


moderated Re: An update: RE: I'm encountering a very strange sound card issue with trying to switch JAWS to an internal card.

Randy Barnett
 

You’re welcome

Randy Barnett

On Oct 3, 2020, at 2:21 PM, Kevin Minor <kminor65@...> wrote:



Hi all.

 

Randy, you hit on something. I switched the default sound to the Yeti and set JAWS to my internal laptop. I had no speech. I then unloaded JAWS and started it again, and no joy. This was before your message. I then wondered what would happen if I did the same thing using my Toshiba TV as the main card, and ran JAWS through the PC. No luck, but then I read your message. I unloaded JAWS, reloaded it, and it worked. I then wondered if I could change the default card to Yeti. At first it didn’t work, but once the HDMI cable was unplugged, I had JAWS coming through the PC, and all other sounds through the Yeti. Go figure.

 

Thank you all for your patience on this issue. To be honest, if I were going to use the Yeti and JAWS together, it would make more sense to have the laptop as the default device, and JAWS go through the Yeti. Whatever the case may be, at least I know it can be done.

 

Thanks again for the ideas.

 

Kevin and Jilly the flying doggie

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: Saturday, October 3, 2020 4:59 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: I'm encountering a very strange sound card issue with trying to switch JAWS to an internal card.

 

Yeah jaws has been doing that for years… You just unload jaws completely and reload it every time you switch sound cards that way.

Randy Barnett


On Oct 3, 2020, at 1:54 PM, Kevin Minor <kminor65@...> wrote:



Hi Mike.

 

I really appreciate you trying to help, but that’s what I originally tried to do.  I have the Yeti as the default card, and when I go into JAWS and set it to my PC internal card, I lose speech. Same thing happens if I have the PC as the default, and I set JAWS to use the Yeti…no speech.

 

Kevin and Jilly the flying doggie

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Saturday, October 3, 2020 4:45 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: I'm encountering a very strange sound card issue with trying to switch JAWS to an internal card.

 

Okay, now you can have Jaws play through the internal soundcard.  Whatever soundcard is set to the default is the soundcard that music and system sounds will play through.  With the Yeti being the default soundcard now setting Jaws to run through the computer's internal soundcard is done in the Jaws context menu / utilities as Mario explained earlier.


Take care and stay safe.  Mike.
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!

----- Original Message -----

From: Kevin Minor

Sent: Saturday, October 03, 2020 1:34 PM

Subject: Re: I'm encountering a very strange sound card issue with trying to switch JAWS to an internal card.

 

Hi again.

I'm not sure if I'm in the same place, but in the Volume Control, I select the Yeti as the playback device. There's a Set to Default button. I hit that, and sounds come through the headphones I have plugged into the Yeti.

Kevin and Jilly the flying doggie

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: Saturday, October 3, 2020 4:32 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: I'm encountering a very strange sound card issue with trying to switch JAWS to an internal card.

check if the Yetti is set as the default playback device (system default). if it is not, there is a default button when focused on the Yetti.

On 10/3/2020 4:23 PM, Mario wrote:
> you can't listen to music thru the Yeti because it is a microphone, an
> input device for audio. if JAWS is lost after plugging in the Yeti,
> take a look at what sound card JAWS is set to speak out of:
>
> using NVDA or even Narrator, press insert+j to gain focus to the JAWS
> user interface:
>
> if JAWS is running as a service (from the systray:
> down arrow to and right arrow to utilities, down arrow to and right
> arrow on sound card.
>
> if JAWS is set to run as an application (found in the alt+tab sequence):
> press alt,
> right arrow to and down arrow on utilities, down arrow to and enter on
> sound card.
>
> one of the recognized sound cards (playback devices) will be checked
> which will indicate which sound card JAWS will speak out of.
> press enter on the sound card you want JAWS to speak out of.
>
> unload NVDA or Narrator if JAWS is speaking again.
>
> On 10/3/2020 3:33 PM, Marty Hutchings wrote:
>> Mike, I have done this, but I just went through my Control Panel to
>> find how I did this, but I am baffled. Sucks getting old.
>> Love in Christ
>> Marty
>> If we view this present life as our primary goal, we will agree with
>> William Shakespeare who said: “Life is a tale told by an idiot, full
>> of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” From TODAY IN THE WORD June
>> 1,
>> 2020
>> *From:* Mike B <mailto:mb69mach1@...>
>> *Sent:* Saturday, October 03, 2020 11:28 AM
>> *To:* main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>
>> *Subject:* Re: I'm encountering a very strange sound card issue with
>> trying to switch JAWS to an internal card.
>> Hi Kevin,
>> To my knowledge, which isn't much, when playing music or system
>> sounds they have to come through the computers internal default soundcard.
>> I've never been able to figure out how to make music and system
>> sounds use the external soundcard so Jaws could be the only thing
>> using the default internal soundcard. If someone can tell us how to
>> do this I would be eternally grateful as well.
>>
>> Take care and stay safe. Mike.
>> Sent from my iBarstool. Go dodgers!
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> *From:* Kevin Minor <mailto:kminor65@...>
>> *To:* main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>
>> *Sent:* Saturday, October 03, 2020 7:19 AM
>> *Subject:* Re: I'm encountering a very strange sound card issue with
>> trying to switch JAWS to an internal card.
>>
>> Hi Richard.
>>
>> I’m using the latest JAWS 2020, Eloquence, I think Reed. It’s with
>> Windows 10 2004, latest build.
>>
>> Kevin and Jilly the flying doggie
>>
>> *From:* main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>
>> <main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>> *On Behalf Of
>> *Richard Turner
>> *Sent:* Saturday, October 3, 2020 10:15 AM
>> *To:* main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>
>> *Subject:* Re: I'm encountering a very strange sound card issue with
>> trying to switch JAWS to an internal card.
>>
>> Which Jaws synthesizer and voice are you using?
>>
>> Richard
>>
>> "He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must
>> pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of
>> ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have
>> regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted
>> extending it.)" - Edward Herbert
>>
>> *From:* main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>
>> <main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>> *On Behalf Of *Kevin
>> Minor
>> *Sent:* Saturday, October 3, 2020 7:14 AM
>> *To:* main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>
>> *Subject:* Re: I'm encountering a very strange sound card issue with
>> trying to switch JAWS to an internal card.
>>
>> Hi Richard.
>>
>> You’re right about being confused. I want to hear music through the
>> Yeti, and JAWS through the built in sound card in my laptop. In any
>> case, it doesn’t work, at least I can’t figure what’s wrong.
>>
>> Kevin and Jilly the flying doggie
>>
>> *From:* main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>
>> <main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>> *On Behalf Of
>> *Richard Turner
>> *Sent:* Saturday, October 3, 2020 10:10 AM
>> *To:* main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>
>> *Subject:* Re: I'm encountering a very strange sound card issue with
>> trying to switch JAWS to an internal card.
>>
>> It is early in the morning, so I may just be a little dense, you said:
>> “I thought it would be nice to listen to music through the Yeti and
>> have JAWS come out my external card.”, but isn’t the Yeti your
>> external card?
>>
>> Or do you have a different external card?
>>
>> If you listen to music through the Yeti, wouldn’t you use the default
>> internal sound card for Jaws?
>>
>> Also confused,
>>
>> Richard
>>
>> "He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must
>> pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of
>> ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have
>> regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted
>> extending it.)" - Edward Herbert
>>
>> *From:* main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>
>> <main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>> *On Behalf Of *Kevin
>> Minor
>> *Sent:* Saturday, October 3, 2020 7:02 AM
>> *To:* main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>
>> *Subject:* I'm encountering a very strange sound card issue with
>> trying to switch JAWS to an internal card.
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I have no idea what’s going on. Yesterday I purchased a Yeti USB mic.
>> It has a built in sound card, so I can route other sounds to it. I
>> thought it would be nice to listen to music through the Yeti and have
>> JAWS come out my external card. Well, it would be nice, except it
>> doesn’t work. I tried this, and JAWS goes silent. I have to set it to
>> either the Yeti or the default device to get speech back. If I change
>> the Windows default sound to my internal card, all is well.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Kevin and Jilly the flying doggie
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
> .











moderated multiple desktops

mike mcglashon
 

Hi guys:

 

I figured I’d chime in here since I use multiple desktops a ton in law school;

One desktop for each class I take;

To open new ones on the fly,

Do control + windows + d (simultaneously)

 

To close the current desktop you are currently in,

Do control + windows + f4 (simultaneously)

If there are any apps or programs open when you do this,

It will close them in that desktop as you close the desktop itself;

 

However,

If you have a program like outlook open,

When you open it in one desktop,

It is open across all the desktops you have open;

Therefore,

When you close one desktop with control+windows+f4,

All the apps in that desktop are closed,

But you will still find outlook open in all the other desktops you have open;

 

I hope I have not confused you too badly;

 

 

Please advise as you like.

 

Mike M.

 

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

Ph: 618 783 9331

 

3401 - 3420 of 85792