Date   

programs for opening . rar files

Jed Barton <jedbarton@...>
 

Hey guys,

What's the best program for dealing with .rar files.


Re: speaking passwords

 

BTW, I personally hate the whole, "star, star, star, star," thing.  It would be so much less distracting to just use a tone, and a very quick and low volume one, to indicate a key press had occurred.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill


Re: speaking passwords

 

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 02:50 AM, netbat66 wrote:
because sighted people can see the keyboard. we can not.
So?  Most people do not "hunt and peck" type, whether passwords or anything else.  They're not looking at the keyboard in the vast majority of cases.  We (as I am part of the group "sighted people") fat finger our passwords all the time and have to re-enter them.

As far as I'm concerned, VFO has it right.  Passwords should never be spoken, letter by letter, as they are typed in, anywhere.  A user is expected to remember them or use a password manager, and most of those can shoot you right to the webpage and enter the login id and password both, if conventional coding methods, rather than pop-up sign-in boxes, are used.

Speaking password character entry entirely defeats the intention of passwords to begin with.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill


Re: file History

 

Richard,

          I have never quite figured out how File History defines "Daily" in terms of there being an exact time each day, particularly if you're like me and unplug your external backup drive for periods of time.  Every time I have plugged in my backup drive after it's been unplugged for some period of time File History eventually kicks on and does that day's daily backup.  You can also choose to go into File History under Control Panel and choose run now to kick off an on-demand run at any time.

          I suggest you have a look at this article on techrepublic.com, How to correctly use File History to transfer data files to a new Windows 10 installation, for a good basic explanation of how to use File History to transfer files between Windows 10 installations.  Be aware he discusses the common mistakes people make first.  Eventually there is a section entitled, The Correct Way,  that gets into how do to it.  Even I will admit that I do not find the method to restore data from one machine to another particularly intuitive at all, quite the opposite in fact, but his steps will talk all about what's actually happening under the hood so that at least you (and I) have some idea about what's actually occurring and why you have had to do some of the things that make you scratch your head when you're first reading the article.

           You may prefer the article on the dummies.com website entitled, HOW TO TRANSFER YOUR FILES TO WINDOWS 10.

            Unless the actual amount of user data, in its entirety, takes up more space than your new computer would allow you should not need to pick and choose.  If you do, this is an area in which I have no firsthand experience and would web search for something like, "File History choose which files to restore," and see what comes up.  You would, of course, have to combine the details of the steps necessary there with the baseline info presented in the aforementioned articles, as you're still restoring from a previous backup from another machine.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill


Re: speaking passwords

netbat66
 

why couldn't vfo give us the toggle to turn the key presses on and off but do it so it would require a administrator password before the feature could be changed.
then no one else could make any changes.
this would satify there security criteria.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2018 2:19 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking passwords

Yes, Jaws should have the ability to either say "star" or the letter as it is typed in. Surely it would not be too difficult to have a toggle in Jaws which would
Allow the user to decide which output was required at the time.

Tom



-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of netbat66
Sent: Saturday, 18 August 2018 4:50 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking passwords

because sighted people can see the keyboard. we can not.
and with me i can not concentrate on the passwords i enter with it saying star
star star with every key press.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 10:43 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking passwords

If sighted users can't see the password why should we?


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 2:58 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking passwords

Dam shame that FS doesn't think its users have the capacity to make a
decision to speak passwords or not.

On 8/17/2018 4:47 PM, netbat66 wrote:
rots of ruck.
i asked for this last year and vfo told me this was a security risk and
they would not allow this with any versions of jaws.
and why not?
i am not a business this is home with only me. no one else is going to
see the passwords. unless my dog can talk. grin

-----Original Message----- From: Don H
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 9:59 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: speaking passwords

With both Window Eyes and NVDA you have a option to speak passwords as
you type them in. I sure would like to see this feature in JAWS.









Re: my computer keeps changing volumes.

Jim Rawls
 

Just while jaws is speaking. I have that box unchecked in the  startup wizard unchecked that would lower the volume.

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2018 9:30 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: my computer keeps changing volumes.

 

Hi, Jim. Does your volume go up and down only while JAWS is speaking, or is it when in a background program such as Skype, or while a game is running?

 

If it is the latter, you need to go into your Sounds settings, TAB to the Communications tab, and set it to “Do Nothing”.

 

Otherwise, if you are in another program, the volume of JAWS will be reduced substantially.

 

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Rawls
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2018 7:41 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: my computer keeps changing volumes.

 

Hi all, is this a jaws issue? My volume on my computer will go up slightly and then go down below what I have it set for. I am running windows ten and jaws 2018. Jim


Re: speaking of passwords

Cristóbal
 

I mean I guess. This would honestly though be like feature 65461316546484 down on my list of features/requests/fixes I'd make to VFO.
I use a password mananger anyway, so really it would be rather pointless. Even then, I still don't know why it's needed. Blind folks like to pull out the "well sighted folks can look at the keyboard" card. Ignoring or perhaps not being aware that sighted people often don't look at the keyboard when they're typing just like us. Muscle memory and all that.
This feels more like a solution in search of a problem than anything else.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Robbins via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2018 4:30 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking of passwords

Suggestion submitted, let's see what happens.

Al

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of netbat66
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 10:35 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking of passwords

maybe if we flood there suggestion box they might listen. grin they sure didn't care about it when i asked last year.

-----Original Message-----
From: Don H
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 3:48 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking of passwords


this is the reply from FS on speaking paswords.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: RE: speaking of passwords
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 22:23:11 +0000
From: VFO Technical Support <support@...>
To: 'Don H' <lmddh50@...>

Thank you for contacting VFO ® Technical Support. The JAWS® program is designed to read what displays on the screen, and, or what is typed on the keyboard. However, since "Passwords" are a secure part of the Windows operating system, JAWS is design to be sensitive to that aspect of the system security. Also, because JAWS is often run by users in public places, business offices, and schools, the screen reader has been designed so that the characters in a user's password are not spoken.
This allows the user to have personal security for their accounts when they use their PC.
Notwithstanding, if you wish to make a recommendation to have this feature added to a future release of JAWS, you should send a message to suggestions@....
If you have any additional questions regarding this or any other issue, please don't hesitate to contact us.
If replying to this message, be sure to include all previous correspondence pertaining to this matter so that we might better assist you.

Sincerely,
Dennis Godin
VFO™ | Technical Support Specialist
11800 31st Court North, St. Petersburg, FL 33716 T 727-803-8000 F 727-803-8001 dgodin@... www.vfogroup.com

The information contained in this communication is confidential, may constitute inside information, and is intended only for the use of the addressee. It is the property of VFO™. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this communication or any part thereof is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return email, and destroy this communication and all copies thereof, including all attachments.

-----Original Message-----
From: Don H <lmddh50@...> Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 6:02 PM
To: VFO Technical Support <support@...>
Subject: speaking of passwords

It would sure be great for Jaws to have the option to have passwords spoken or not. Tired of being locked out of a account because I mistypes a password.


file History

Richard Turner
 


Thanks to Brian, File History in Windows 10 seems to have worked quite nicely.
A couple of questions:
I selected daily backup. Will it do that automatically when I plug in the drive, or will it assume I want to do it around the same time as the previous day? I didn't find anything within the program to be sure.
When I restore, will I have a choice on what gets restored? I will not want everything back on my new computer as it has a smaller drive than my current computer. The new one will arrive on Wednesday, so I have time to sort things out.
Thanks again for the help.
Richard


"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett



[Sent from my little hand-held computer]



Re: Defining a Hotkey for Use with the BrailleEdge

Richard Turner
 

Here is the Jaws web site on the braille commands for the Focus.
They say for other displays, check with the manufacturer.
https://www.freedomscientific.com/Content/html/jawshq/JAWS-braille-keystrokes.html#BrailleIn

Richard




“The secret is not to make your music louder, but to make the world quieter.” 
- Mitch Albom from The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto, page 1

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dani Pagador
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 6:52 PM
To: main <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: Defining a Hotkey for Use with the BrailleEdge

Hi, Everyone.
I am using JFW17, Win10, and a BrailleEdge. I would like to use the
shift+F3 combination to change the letter case. Using this combination
on the PC keyboard achieves the desired result, as it's a standard
Windows command, I think. But I can't do this same thing using the
BrailleEdge. Is there any way to define a hotkey?

Thanks,
Dani


Re: my computer keeps changing volumes.

Bill White
 

Hi, Jim. Does your volume go up and down only while JAWS is speaking, or is it when in a background program such as Skype, or while a game is running?

 

If it is the latter, you need to go into your Sounds settings, TAB to the Communications tab, and set it to “Do Nothing”.

 

Otherwise, if you are in another program, the volume of JAWS will be reduced substantially.

 

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Rawls
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2018 7:41 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: my computer keeps changing volumes.

 

Hi all, is this a jaws issue? My volume on my computer will go up slightly and then go down below what I have it set for. I am running windows ten and jaws 2018. Jim


Re: my computer keeps changing volumes.

Mario
 

is audio ducking disabled?

-------- Original Message --------
From: Jim Rawls [mailto:jazzpiano@...]
Sent: Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 10:40 AM EST
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: my computer keeps changing volumes.

Hi all, is this a jaws issue? My volume on my computer will go up slightly
and then go down below what I have it set for. I am running windows ten and
jaws 2018. Jim


my computer keeps changing volumes.

Jim Rawls
 

Hi all, is this a jaws issue? My volume on my computer will go up slightly and then go down below what I have it set for. I am running windows ten and jaws 2018. Jim


Re: Really really simple backup question

John Covici
 

I can tell you that at least with Macrium, it works as you would
expected, because all changed sectors are modified, including the
folder where the file was stored, so indeed its deleted when you
restore, if you restore the disk as a whole, and restore after a time
when the file was deleted.

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 09:58:47 -0400,
Steve Matzura wrote:

[1 <text/plain; utf-8 (8bit)>]
[2 <text/html; utf-8 (8bit)>]
Brian,

Everything you say is absolutely true and correct, but I've not yet seen a backup program behave this way. Just because a file is not in an incremental backup doesn't mean it's been deleted. It could just mean it hasn't been modified,
therefore, no need to back it up and have it appear in said incremental backup. Just because it's not in the series of incremental backups made since the last image doesn't necessarily mean it's been deleted. I've been complaining about
this for forty years now.

On 8/18/2018 9:47 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 05:38 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:

I wish there was a kind of backup that takes into account deletions as well as changes.

Isn't there? That's the whole purpose of incremental or differential backups, so that you can restore to a point post baseline (full image) to any given backup point. This should take into account file deletions.

Incrementals take much longer to restore from because of the "sifting through" involved with it and differentials take way more space because that "sifting through" is done to decide just what gets added and removed at the
differential backup time and includes each and every file change and deletion in each backup set.

This would seem to be a quirk of the particular backup utility being used, as no incremental/differential restore to "Wednesday's backup time" should bring back a file that was intentionally deleted on Tuesday. It should be
intelligent enough to either not have that file in the set (differential) or to nuke it itself when the last incremental time doesn't match the last check time in the set.

--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...


Re: Really really simple backup question

Steve Matzura
 

Brian,


Everything you say is absolutely true and correct, but I've not yet seen a backup program behave this way. Just because a file is not in an incremental backup doesn't mean it's been deleted. It could just mean it hasn't been modified, therefore, no need to back it up and have it appear in said incremental backup. Just because it's not in the series of incremental backups made since the last image doesn't necessarily mean it's been deleted. I've been complaining about this for forty years now.


On 8/18/2018 9:47 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 05:38 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:
I wish there was a kind of backup that takes into account deletions as well as changes.
Isn't there?  That's the whole purpose of incremental or differential backups, so that you can restore to a point post baseline (full image) to any given backup point.  This should take into account file deletions. 

Incrementals take much longer to restore from because of the "sifting through" involved with it and differentials take way more space because that "sifting through" is done to decide just what gets added and removed at the differential backup time and includes each and every file change and deletion in each backup set.

This would seem to be a quirk of the particular backup utility being used, as no incremental/differential restore to "Wednesday's backup time" should bring back a file that was intentionally deleted on Tuesday.  It should be intelligent enough to either not have that file in the set (differential) or to nuke it itself when the last incremental time doesn't match the last check time in the set.



Re: Really really simple backup question

 

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 05:38 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:
I wish there was a kind of backup that takes into account deletions as well as changes.
Isn't there?  That's the whole purpose of incremental or differential backups, so that you can restore to a point post baseline (full image) to any given backup point.  This should take into account file deletions. 

Incrementals take much longer to restore from because of the "sifting through" involved with it and differentials take way more space because that "sifting through" is done to decide just what gets added and removed at the differential backup time and includes each and every file change and deletion in each backup set.

This would seem to be a quirk of the particular backup utility being used, as no incremental/differential restore to "Wednesday's backup time" should bring back a file that was intentionally deleted on Tuesday.  It should be intelligent enough to either not have that file in the set (differential) or to nuke it itself when the last incremental time doesn't match the last check time in the set.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill


Re: speaking of passwords

Alan Robbins
 

Suggestion submitted, let's see what happens.

Al

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of netbat66
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 10:35 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking of passwords

maybe if we flood there suggestion box they might listen. grin they sure didn't care about it when i asked last year.

-----Original Message-----
From: Don H
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 3:48 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking of passwords


this is the reply from FS on speaking paswords.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: RE: speaking of passwords
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 22:23:11 +0000
From: VFO Technical Support <support@...>
To: 'Don H' <lmddh50@...>

Thank you for contacting VFO ® Technical Support. The JAWS® program is
designed to read what displays on the screen, and, or what is typed on
the keyboard. However, since "Passwords" are a secure part of the
Windows operating system, JAWS is design to be sensitive to that aspect
of the system security. Also, because JAWS is often run by users in
public places, business offices, and schools, the screen reader has been
designed so that the characters in a user's password are not spoken.
This allows the user to have personal security for their accounts when
they use their PC.
Notwithstanding, if you wish to make a recommendation to have this
feature added to a future release of JAWS, you should send a message to
suggestions@....
If you have any additional questions regarding this or any other issue,
please don't hesitate to contact us.
If replying to this message, be sure to include all previous
correspondence pertaining to this matter so that we might better assist you.

Sincerely,
Dennis Godin
VFO™ | Technical Support Specialist
11800 31st Court North, St. Petersburg, FL 33716
T 727-803-8000 F 727-803-8001
dgodin@...
www.vfogroup.com

The information contained in this communication is confidential, may
constitute inside information, and is intended only for the use of the
addressee. It is the property of VFO™. Unauthorized use, disclosure or
copying of this communication or any part thereof is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify us immediately by return email, and destroy this
communication and all copies thereof, including all attachments.

-----Original Message-----
From: Don H <lmddh50@...> Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 6:02 PM
To: VFO Technical Support <support@...>
Subject: speaking of passwords

It would sure be great for Jaws to have the option to have passwords
spoken or not. Tired of being locked out of a account because I
mistypes a password.


Re: speaking passwords

Alan Robbins
 

Agreed, this is exactly the way it works in Safari on my iPhone. Do I use it, no. However, for those that desire the behavior it should be a toggle. Same argument could be made for the ribbons. Jaws offers a toggle to enable their approach or access as sighted users do in Windows. Again, to satisfy all camps make it a choice.

Al

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2018 5:20 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking passwords

Yes, Jaws should have the ability to either say "star" or the letter as it is typed in. Surely it would not be too difficult to have a toggle in Jaws which would Allow the user to decide which output was required at the time.

Tom



-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of netbat66
Sent: Saturday, 18 August 2018 4:50 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking passwords

because sighted people can see the keyboard. we can not.
and with me i can not concentrate on the passwords i enter with it saying star star star with every key press.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 10:43 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking passwords

If sighted users can't see the password why should we?


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 2:58 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking passwords

Dam shame that FS doesn't think its users have the capacity to make a decision to speak passwords or not.

On 8/17/2018 4:47 PM, netbat66 wrote:
rots of ruck.
i asked for this last year and vfo told me this was a security risk
and they would not allow this with any versions of jaws.
and why not?
i am not a business this is home with only me. no one else is going to
see the passwords. unless my dog can talk. grin

-----Original Message----- From: Don H
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 9:59 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: speaking passwords

With both Window Eyes and NVDA you have a option to speak passwords as
you type them in. I sure would like to see this feature in JAWS.









Re: Really really simple backup question

Steve Matzura
 

I wish there was a kind of backup that takes into account deletions as well as changes. Scenario: Sunday I run a full backup. Monday I delete something, and later in the day, run an incremental or differential backup, either one gets me the same result--no new copy of the file I deleted, but no indication that the file was deleted. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, everything goes well. Friday I have a problem and need to restore the disk,so I whip out my weekly backups to date, restore everything, and oh look, the file I thought I deleted is back!  The mere presence of that file caused a problem, and that's why it had to be deleted. Now the disk has been restored, the deleted file is back, and with it, the condition that caused it to have to be deleted in the first place. In a large org,  that fact may take a while to trickle down to those who need to know about it.


Is the previous scenario real-world? Yes it is. It has happened to me more than once. The file that was deleted was a bit of data that had mistakes in it and should not have been included in an accounting roll-up. When the disk was restored, the file came back, got included in the roll-up, and the month-end figures were wrong again. Took almost a full day for the number-crunchers to figure it out, call us, have us ferret out the problem, and remove the offending file for the second time.


On 8/17/2018 5:13 PM, ely.r@... wrote:

 

Great job Professor Brian. Sharron, Good job of structuring your “simple” questions.

Going to keep this but promise to site both of you if I quote it anywhere.

Rik

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 11:01 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Really really simple backup question

 

Sharon,

I'm going to give it a shot at answering your questions, one by one, and including a bit of information about "the question I think you were trying to ask" in addition to what was literally there.  The questions will all be repeated, with a > at the beginning of the question quotation.

> What is the difference between a backup, a differential backup, an integral backup, a system backup?

           A generic "backup" could be nothing other than copying files off to another drive by hand, but that's really not what the focus of the latest go-rounds was, nor will be here.

           A system image backup is, essentially, a snapshot of your computer's state:  all installed software, including the operating system, user accounts, all data associated with all user accounts, etc., taken at a given point in time and saved in a format that would allow you to restore that state, exactly, if you had a catastrophic failure of your hard drive and needed to replace it.

           Both differential and incremental backups are backups taken after a full system image backup, that collect the changes that have occurred since that last system image backup, but in slightly different ways.  Please see the article, Incremental vs differential backup – what is the difference?, which explains the differences better than I can and in non-technical terms.

> What if I wanted to get a complete backup of my system, and had no idea at all which program to get?

            This is sort of the crux of the earlier discussions.   Clearly Image for Windows is great and accessible if you are willing and able to pay just under $40 for it.  But if you can't, my parallel thread about other options, whether fully accessible or just accessible for maintaining your backups, is in its infancy.  Watch that space.

> Where would be even a good starting point for a person who has never once done an image or complete backup?

             I guess my only answer is deciding whether you wish to purchase backup software or to use a free version.  Then to decide whether whatever you use has to be 100% accessible or whether you can live with having an assistant to help you set up the system image backup and/or user data backup and, heaven forbid but it could happen, do the recovery.

>  Would I need an external drive with nothing else on it?

              You definitely need an external drive.   If you are using backup software, which I highly recommend, it can have lots of other stuff on it.  The backups will be placed in a folder of their own.

               I do not recommend disc cloning, which requires an external drive that's dedicated to nothing but the backup, and, ideally, would not be a regular external backup drive but a regular disc drive you could "pop in" to your machine for which you would purchase a USB enclosure where it would live while being used as an external backup drive.

> Is the Microsoft product a good starting place for a person who has never done anything like this before?

                This question is a bit to vague to answer as posed.   Microsoft includes a built-in backup and recovery that's been around since Windows 7, at least.  They have, however, stated that it is officially deprecated and state that users should seek out third party options, which is why I don't discuss it.  This utility was for system image backup and recovery.

                 File History, which exists under Windows 10 (and Windows 8.1, I think), is an excellent starting place for taking user data backups.  I just suggest that those starting out with File History pay very careful attention to both the frequency of backup and the backup retention period.  The default frequency is hourly, which is way too often for your average home user, and retention is forever, which is a space hog particularly if you know you really generally only care about the most recent version of a file once it's more than so old.  This is why I suggest retention of three months, as this will keep all versions of the same file in File History that are younger than three months old then, as the oldest version becomes three months and one day (or more) old it gets booted out.  Versions older than your retention period get booted out successively until what's left is only the most recent version of the file from the date you last touched it.   The retention period is NOT about the age of the current and last copy of the file, but of its previous versions that were collected along the way.  The current and last version will be retained until or unless it is deleted or, if you start working on it again, as versions with the changes you've done.

By the way, I saw your comment about knowing that you don't necessarily expect total accessibility, but I thought a comprehensive answer for other readers would be useful.  Your options are a lot wider in this situation, and I can still recommend EaseUS To Do Backup Free without hesitation if you don't object to needing assistance with the setup of your backup regimen nor if recovery were ever necessary.  The part you have to deal with to take successive full system images, or incremental backups, is entirely accessible.  I don't think the free version supports differential backup, but I could be mistaken.   My own protocol is generally to take full system image backups about once per month, then deleting any of these older than the previous month's backups since I wouldn't want anything from "the wayback machine" if I have a more recent backup.



Re: speaking passwords

Tom <tomcat509@...>
 

Yes, Jaws should have the ability to either say "star" or the letter as it is typed in. Surely it would not be too difficult to have a toggle in Jaws which would
Allow the user to decide which output was required at the time.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of netbat66
Sent: Saturday, 18 August 2018 4:50 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking passwords

because sighted people can see the keyboard. we can not.
and with me i can not concentrate on the passwords i enter with it saying star
star star with every key press.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 10:43 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking passwords

If sighted users can't see the password why should we?


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 2:58 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking passwords

Dam shame that FS doesn't think its users have the capacity to make a
decision to speak passwords or not.

On 8/17/2018 4:47 PM, netbat66 wrote:
rots of ruck.
i asked for this last year and vfo told me this was a security risk and
they would not allow this with any versions of jaws.
and why not?
i am not a business this is home with only me. no one else is going to
see the passwords. unless my dog can talk. grin

-----Original Message----- From: Don H
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 9:59 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: speaking passwords

With both Window Eyes and NVDA you have a option to speak passwords as
you type them in. I sure would like to see this feature in JAWS.









Re: speaking passwords

netbat66
 

because sighted people can see the keyboard. we can not.
and with me i can not concentrate on the passwords i enter with it saying star star star with every key press.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 10:43 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking passwords

If sighted users can't see the password why should we?


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 2:58 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking passwords

Dam shame that FS doesn't think its users have the capacity to make a
decision to speak passwords or not.

On 8/17/2018 4:47 PM, netbat66 wrote:
rots of ruck.
i asked for this last year and vfo told me this was a security risk and
they would not allow this with any versions of jaws.
and why not?
i am not a business this is home with only me. no one else is going to
see the passwords. unless my dog can talk. grin

-----Original Message----- From: Don H
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 9:59 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: speaking passwords

With both Window Eyes and NVDA you have a option to speak passwords as
you type them in. I sure would like to see this feature in JAWS.