Date   

moderated Re: favorite email client on windows?

Dan Miner
 

I was they big thunderbird user but the accessibility has been slowly eroding and all the annoying bugs on large mail folders, it just drove me away. Searching was a huge hassle as you had to get past that inaccessible "pretty summary" display they moved to some time ago.

So, I'm stuck using Outlook until I find a reasonable alternative.

Dan


moderated Re: JAWS 2021 and Pac Mate Omni BX 400 vis USB

Dan Miner
 

I have indeed finally found a mini USB port on the left side just under the insertions guide.    JAWS is now keeping it as my default but it seems to be failing to load the braille driver.

 

The display itself shows on power-up:

pm display  40  - k70

 

USB device info from device manager.

LibUSB-1.0: FreedomScientific [PAC Mate]

Device type:  libusb (WinUSB) devices

Manufacturer:  libusb 1.0

Device status  multi line  This device is working properly.

 

I found a few mentions that the Focus USB driver would work which is what I have installed as a USB driver at the moment.

 

FocusBlueDriver1.0.2030

 

                Dan

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Milton Ota
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 5:50 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS 2021 and Pac Mate Omni BX 400 vis USB

 

Okay, have you looked on the left side of the display for a mini usb port?

 

When you plug the display to the Pacmate what version of the display is shown?

 

These are questions Freedom Scientific Support will ask so you should check these things out.

 

This is just a suggestion to figure out the problem.

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Miner via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 9:55 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS 2021 and Pac Mate Omni BX 400 vis USB

 

They are still clipped together.  I’ve been searching the BX manual and didn’t see any option to run the display without the PDA part.  A quick examination of the display only section doesn’t suggest it would support running completely stand-alone as I see no USB type A or mini B port.  The display is working with the PDA part which is running 6.2 of the environment but I haven’t figured out how to update it since I don’t have any way of connecting CF cards to my system to prepare one for an upgrade path.

 

I figured they would flatly deny support since it is so old.  This came from an era of proprietary  USB protocols so I am expecting to need some sort of USB driver.

 

I did manage to find it in the Device Manager in control panel.  It’s listed under Other Devices under its name but doesn’t know much about it and says there is no driver for it.

 

“Device status: The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)”

 

                Dan

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 3:14 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS 2021 and Pac Mate Omni BX 400 vis USB

 

Have you separated the display from the note taker? 

My guess is the display is too old to be supported, but you may need to call FS on Monday. 

 

Richard

 

"You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space, that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."

"Why, what did she tell you?"

"I don't know, I didn't listen."

-- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

 

On Jan 9, 2021, at 2:07 PM, Milton Ota <mota1252@...> wrote:



Hi,

 

I would check to see what is going on with your USB port in the device manager in Windows 10. Let me know if you need help finding the device manager.

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Miner via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 12:18 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: JAWS 2021 and Pac Mate Omni BX 400 vis USB

 

Someone gave me this braille display and I’ve managed to get it up and running as far as the Windows mobile usage is concerned.  But I really want to be able to do braille display of my desktop PC running Windows 10.  I have it connected via USB but the computer doesn’t seem to acknowledge it from what I can tell.  The device is running off the power from the port and I know the cable works as I use it for my old Book Port Plus.

I’ve tried to tell JAWS that a Pac Mate is there in the braille settings by adding a display but it just never selects it (keeps switching back to no display).    As I’m on Windows 10, ActiveSync install is impossible (stopped support at XP).  And google has failed me so far for any details other that the ActiveSync companion CD had some USB driver bundled with it for the device.  No sign of that driver either.

 

It just seems to be such a waste for a usable braille display that  is still serviceable as a hosted display if the PDA part is not so useful now.

 

Any pointers would be appreciated.

 

                Dan


moderated Re: Parler Fw: [Request received]

Mich Verrier
 

Hi andy and all the below sounds like a standerd e mail reply please let us know when you get a reply that seems to be from a person or even better if these places have a axishuel phone uber where you can talk to a person. I wuld be interested in joining this but would lik to know that the captcha and other accessibillidies are worked out first. From Mich.

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy
Sent: January 10, 2021 3:41 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Parler Fw: [Request received]

 

This is what i received from Parler Support.

 

----- Original Message -----

From: Parler

Cc: Support

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 12:26 PM

Subject: [Request received]

 

Your request (320687) has been received and is being reviewed by our support staff.

To add additional comments, reply to this email.

This email is a service from Parler. Delivered by Zendesk

[DO3PGD-6MYP]


moderated Re: favorite email client on windows?

Jerry Berrier
 

Me too.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pastor Gilbert Pries
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 11:22 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: favorite email client on windows?

Microsoft Outlook for me.

Pastor Gilbert

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jason White via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 7:36 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: favorite email client on windows?


On 1/10/21 9:23 AM, Curt Taubert wrote:
I use Thunderbird.
I use Thunderbird under Linux. I can't comment on its accessibility with Windows/JAWS, but it does seem to have a good reputation there also.
Under Windows, it's Microsoft Outlook for me. If I weren't using Microsoft OneDrive and Microsoft Office, as I currently do for work-related reasons, I probably wouldn't use Windows at all.


moderated Re: Parler

Maria Reyes
 

Parler isn't accessible on iOS. you will need sighted help when you get to the captcha and the only buttons in the app that are accessible is the compose button

sent from the iPhone 11 Pro

On Jan 10, 2021, at 2:14 AM, Bill Tessore <billtessore@...> wrote:

Actually, only the Parler app has been removed from the Apple App Store. being an independent company, Apple has no power to eliminate the Parler platform. One can still go to Parler.com and login there. As for signup accessibility, I’ve not tried that yet as I’ve been studying its About page and Policies statement. So I’ll hav to look into it. If it is an issue, then I’ll try pointing it out for resolution. It’s my impression the owner and company still value ALL their users enough to meet everyone’s needs they can.

Shalom,



Bill Tessore
billtessore@...


On Jan 9, 2021, at 10:46 PM, Andy <wq6r@...> wrote:


What is interesting is that before that happened Parler was the number 1 download in the app store.
 
Andy
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2021 9:53 PM
Subject: Re: Parler

As of Saturday, Apple suspended Parler (correct spelling) because it embraces threats of violence and illegality. If those are things you admire, you’ll need to look elsewhere.

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 12:44 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: MeWe

 

I was ready to download Parlar until i saw a review on the app store that said that it is inaccessible for blind users because in order to join you need to solve an inaccessible CAPTCHA

 

Andy

.

----- Original Message -----

From: Bill Tessore

Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2021 9:26 PM

Subject: Re: MeWe

 

All I know is it’s a social media site inspired by the increasingly blatant sensorial actions of Big Tech against users with opinions that contrast with the alt-left views of those companies’ positions, particularly with regard to political matters. Others are Parler.com and Gab.com. Also there’s a search engine that does NOT artificially search results based on how closely sites/companies adhere to, or how sharply others diverge from similarly far left ideals, like Google. com does. Shalom.

Bill Tessore

 



On Jan 9, 2021, at 2:14 PM, marilyn <tinkerbelltx@...> wrote:



Hello all,

I’ve never even heard of this app before I was asked to join it. What do you know about it? Any users? Opinions?

Thanks.

Marilyn


moderated Re: Jaws & Discussion Board in Blackboard

Russell Solowoniuk
 

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your response, and for the links. I’ll read over that material, but it looks a little over my head. I managed to find a solution. The discussion board seems to work well with jaws using Firefox instead of the chrome browser. So that’s what we’ll have to do.

Thanks again,

Russell


On Jan 10, 2021, at 12:54 PM, Mark <mweiler@...> wrote:

Russell, without having access to the specific environment, I can't offer a specific response to your question. What I can offer is a link to the reading material about application regions. It's the application section in the Accessible Rich Internet Application specification.  There is a link in that section on Managing Focus, and I wonder if that might explain the behaviour?   If others have more reliable documentation, it would be appreciated if it can be shared so we can clear these sorts of barriers (I'm puzzling over application mode in the reference manager, Zotero web library).


moderated Re: And what does this have to do with JFW?

David Diamond
 

Respectfully submitted. To what are you referring too? There is no message below yours to indicate what you are objecting too.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pat Byrne
Sent: January 10, 2021 5:27 PM
Subject: And what does this have to do with JFW?

Respectfully submitted.
pat Byrne


moderated Re: Parlor?

Cristóbal
 

I think the original point to this question was in part with accessibility
challenges.
Sticking to that particular aspect of the thread and people who are
seriously telling on themselves by doing googllily eyes at that platform and
the strain of thought pervasive on it, hopes of any sort of attention given
to any consideration for accessibility is a set up for disappointment. The
crowds who cruise those message forums are probably not keen on
accommodating the disabled contingent
You may want to be part of that club, but that club most likely wants
nothing to do with you... but hey, kudos for trying I guess.
Cristóbal

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pat Byrne
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 5:31 PM
To: Recipient list suppressed:
Subject: Parlor?

I didn't phrase my last post correctly, however my thought stands.
What has Parlor to do with JFW?
Pat Byrne


moderated Parlor?

Pat Byrne
 

I didn't phrase my last post correctly, however my thought stands.
What has Parlor to do with JFW?
Pat Byrne


moderated And what does this have to do with JFW?

Pat Byrne
 

Respectfully submitted.
pat Byrne


moderated Re: Parler

 

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 06:40 PM, James English wrote:
The consequences of speech must be separated out entirely
from the speech itself, otherwise we risk creating the sort of society
in which people are aggressively self-censoring in case somebody hears
what they say and takes it in an unintended way.
-
Or, in the intended way.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree.  Self-expression has never, and should never, come without the possibility of consequences - whether wildly positive or negative.

It is simply not possible to divorce what one says from the reactions of one's listeners, and those listeners may be individuals or entities.

It's also not reasonable to "give a pass" to anything and everything in the name of free speech.  That's not what freedom of speech is ever been.  While I may not agree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it sounds great, in theory, it's never been done in practice.  What you (the generic you) say and/or do has natural consequences.

I am only worried about what the government can or cannot control in terms of speech, and we are diametrically opposed in our opinions about the prohibition of speech which has direct negative impacts on public safety ("fire!!" in a crowded theater).  It's indefensible, serves no political purpose, and should be strictly prohibited.  My right not to be trampled, as well as that of all the other theater patrons, trumps anyone's right to yell fire because they feel like it.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

           ~ André Gide


moderated Re: Parler

Andy
 

In the beginning, these platforms were supposedly like the phone company. Basically just vehicles for self expression, but now indeed they are just as much publishers as newspapers, magazines, and radio and TV networks and stations.

Andy

----- Original Message -----
From: "James English" <james13english@gmail.com>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 3:34 PM
Subject: Re: Parler


Hello,

The thing that really gets to me is that section 230 of the
communications decency act protects these companies from things like
defamation lawsuits caused by things that their users put on the
platform as these platforms are not publishers, however when it comes
to the political wars they decide to fight they are perfectly able to
act like publishers. Authority without responsibility is not a healthy
mix.

- James

On 1/10/21, Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@gmail.com> wrote:
The president has been banned from Twitter YouTube Facebook. What kind of
world we live in win the presidential office can be banned from speaking on
public forums.

Randy Barnett

On Jan 10, 2021, at 1:59 PM, Cristóbal <cristobalmuli@gmail.com> wrote:


Funny. Devin Nunes was carrying on about this great injustice of silencing
on … a popular national conservative talk show this morning.
Somehow, these decries of digital gulags and unfair muzzling of ideas sound
kind of specious. As if Trump and any of his toadies would be denied airtime
or a microphone if they wanted to give a press conference right now. The
president’s got an entire room in the White House for this very purpose.
Also, given the bent of folks who hang out on 8chan, Gab and Parler… don’t
be surprised or hurt if screen reader accessibility isn’t exactly on their
things to do or even care about.
Cristóbal

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 12:54 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Parler

A private monopoly. Amounts to the same thing, unless you have the
resources to develop your own app store, web servers, etc.
Companies like Facebook and Twitter have developed a monopoly in social
media, buying up or snuffing out competition. There are two smart phone
platforms run by two companies, and they have colluded along with Amazon Web
Services to stifle free speech. it started with flagging certain tweets and
posts, then it went to deleting certain tweets and posts, then it went to
closing accounts of people whose speech they didn't like, and now to
shutting down entire platforms.
The government doesn't have to get involved, someone else is already doing
their dirty work for them,and they can alway say that what is happening
isn't a violation of the 1st amendment. Technically, that is correct, but
what is happening amounts to the same thing.

Andy

----- Original Message -----
From: Glenn / Lenny
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 12:41 PM
Subject: Re: Parler

Andy and All,
Keep in mind that it is not the government stopping anything, it is a
private business doing this.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: Andy
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 2:14 PM
Subject: Re: Parler

The long term consequences of stifling free speech would be a lot worse than
any speech. The founders thought that free speech was so important that
they made it the 1st amendment to the Constitution. Voltaire said, "I may
disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say
it". i would suggest that you either read or reread George Orwell's
"1984".

Andy

----- Original Message -----
From: Hope Williamson
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: Parler

I don't want to start a debate on deplatformming, which I definitely don't
support, but I think this is why the open web is necessary, now more than
ever.

On 1/10/2021 6:22 AM, Lino Morales wrote:
Bill. Parler is also been axed from the Google play store. They have an
audio CAPTCHA. On the web it will be offline for a week cause in their
infinite greatness Amazon pulled their survers they were using.

On 1/10/2021 2:14 AM, Bill Tessore wrote:
Actually, only the Parler app has been removed from the Apple App Store.
being an independent company, Apple has no power to eliminate the Parler
platform. One can still go to Parler.com and login there. As for signup
accessibility, I’ve not tried that yet as I’ve been studying its About page
and Policies statement. So I’ll hav to look into it. If it is an issue, then
I’ll try pointing it out for resolution. It’s my impression the owner and
company still value ALL their users enough to meet everyone’s needs they
can.

Shalom,



Bill Tessore
billtessore@gmail.com



On Jan 9, 2021, at 10:46 PM, Andy <wq6r@socal.rr.com> wrote:


What is interesting is that before that happened Parler was the number 1
download in the app store.

Andy

----- Original Message -----
From: Adrian Spratt
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2021 9:53 PM
Subject: Re: Parler

As of Saturday, Apple suspended Parler (correct spelling) because it
embraces threats of violence and illegality. If those are things you admire,
you’ll need to look elsewhere.
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 12:44 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: MeWe
I was ready to download Parlar until i saw a review on the app store that
said that it is inaccessible for blind users because in order to join you
need to solve an inaccessible CAPTCHA
Andy
.
----- Original Message -----
From: Bill Tessore
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2021 9:26 PM
Subject: Re: MeWe
All I know is it’s a social media site inspired by the increasingly blatant
sensorial actions of Big Tech against users with opinions that contrast with
the alt-left views of those companies’ positions, particularly with regard
to political matters. Others are Parler.com and Gab.com. Also there’s a
search engine that does NOT artificially search results based on how closely
sites/companies adhere to, or how sharply others diverge from similarly far
left ideals, like Google. com does. Shalom.

Bill Tessore
billtessore@gmail.com



On Jan 9, 2021, at 2:14 PM, marilyn <tinkerbelltx@hotmail.com> wrote:


Hello all,
I’ve never even heard of this app before I was asked to join it. What do you
know about it? Any users? Opinions?
Thanks.
Marilyn






moderated Re: Parler

Andy
 


What's interesting is that conservative posts to Youtube discussing the 2020 elections have been taken down and banned, but videos about calls made by Trump to state election officials are still being posted, and of course, they can't be responded to.
One thing I have always wondered is who exactly is always recording these calls and leaking them to the Internet?
Andy
 
 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 3:30 PM
Subject: Re: Parler

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 06:21 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:
What kind of world we live in win the presidential office can be banned from speaking on public forums.
-
One in which the sitting President of the United States of America is a demagogue who incites riot.

Too little, and way too late.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

           ~ André Gide


moderated Re: Parler

Andy
 


In a way, it's our fault, letting these big tech companies quietly intrude into our lives, creating a kind of addiction. How many of us actually read the terms of service agreements before we click that agree button?  I must admit that I am guilty of that myself.  I know folks who are so addicted to Facebook and Twitter that they take their phones to bed with them at night because they don't want to miss that post or tweet that may drop at 4 AM.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: Parler

he wasn't rejected. he already signed a contract. the book was scheduled for release in June but after he made some comments supporting conservative views they labeled him as seditious and irresponsible and inciting violence and drop his book that's their own statement as to why they dropped them. and sure you can start your own platform it may be scene by 100 other people. And these big platforms like Facebook Twitter they change mines they effect ourculture. And if you're excluded from that platform you're silenced and that's the end of that. it is sad that people get so angry that they put the worst possible spend on whatever the people they hate say. even to the point of being irrational.

Randy Barnett

On Jan 10, 2021, at 2:07 PM, JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:



It does matter though – just because corporations are “big”, it doesn’t make them so different from the “little guys” online in the 80s and 90s, who would sometimes ban people just because they didn’t like them or they screwed up someothing once. It happened to me plenty of times. The great thing about the internet is that you don’t have to rely on a platoform like that – and if nobody wants to host your views on their platform, you can just create a new one, or pay someone to do it for you. Publishers reject work from famous people all the time – of course said people are likely to blame the people rejecting their work, and not themselves or the work they do. Getting rejected hurts. These online platforms have never stated they were open to any and all content.

As someone who has uh, occasionally engaged in somewhat sketchy things on the internet, I would like it if people adopted a more old-school attitude toward internet usage and been more willing to adopt different sorts of platforms. We don’t necessarily have to rely on these big corporations and their platforms. We just think about them all the time because they appear ubiquitous. But that won’t be forever. While some of these corporate rules sure are crap, a nice thing about living in the 21st century is that we are in a time when nearly everything really is available somewhere. We just have to detach ourselves from these big monopolies.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: January 10, 2021 04:12 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Parler

it doesn't matter if it's a government or a couple of huge corporations. if they're able to stop you from getting your ideas out to people it is stopping free speech. Senator Holly's book was dropped by the publisher because he said the wrong things according to those in charge. when the only way to get ideas out in this modern world is via publishers Facebook YouTube Twitter and apparently Amazon those who control the servers. Then they are able to stifle free speech. It doesn't have to be a government to stifle free speech and free speech should be protected even from corporations.I'm platforms like YouTube Twitter One platforms like YouTube Twitter Facebook start deciding what can be and not be published on their pages they are a publisher and the rules for publishers are totally different from the rules for web platforms. They have to abide by those rules. As corporations now pretty much control all speech in this country.

Randy Barnett


On Jan 10, 2021, at 12:41 PM, Glenn / Lenny <glennervin@...> wrote:



Andy and All,

Keep in mind that it is not the government stopping anything, it is a private business doing this.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

From: Andy

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 2:14 PM

Subject: Re: Parler

The long term consequences of stifling free speech would be a lot worse than any speech.  The founders thought that free speech was so important that they made it the 1st amendment to the Constitution. Voltaire said, "I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it".  i would suggest that you either read or reread George Orwell's "1984".

Andy

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 9:03 AM

Subject: Re: Parler

I don't want to start a debate on deplatformming, which I definitely don't support, but I think this is why the open web is necessary, now more than ever.

On 1/10/2021 6:22 AM, Lino Morales wrote:

Bill. Parler is also been axed from the Google play store. They have an audio CAPTCHA. On the web it will be offline for a week cause in their infinite greatness Amazon pulled their survers they were using.

On 1/10/2021 2:14 AM, Bill Tessore wrote:

Actually, only the Parler app has been removed from the Apple App Store. being an independent company, Apple has no power to eliminate the Parler platform. One can still go to Parler.com and login there. As for signup accessibility, I’ve not tried that yet as I’ve been studying its About page and Policies statement. So I’ll hav to look into it. If it is an issue, then I’ll try pointing it out for resolution. It’s my impression the owner and company still value ALL their users enough to meet everyone’s needs they can.

Shalom,

Bill Tessore



On Jan 9, 2021, at 10:46 PM, Andy <wq6r@...> wrote:



What is interesting is that before that happened Parler was the number 1 download in the app store.

Andy

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2021 9:53 PM

Subject: Re: Parler

As of Saturday, Apple suspended Parler (correct spelling) because it embraces threats of violence and illegality. If those are things you admire, you’ll need to look elsewhere.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 12:44 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: MeWe

I was ready to download Parlar until i saw a review on the app store that said that it is inaccessible for blind users because in order to join you need to solve an inaccessible CAPTCHA

Andy

.

----- Original Message -----

From: Bill Tessore

Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2021 9:26 PM

Subject: Re: MeWe

All I know is it’s a social media site inspired by the increasingly blatant sensorial actions of Big Tech against users with opinions that contrast with the alt-left views of those companies’ positions, particularly with regard to political matters. Others are Parler.com and Gab.com. Also there’s a search engine that does NOT artificially search results based on how closely sites/companies adhere to, or how sharply others diverge from similarly far left ideals, like Google. com does. Shalom.

Bill Tessore




On Jan 9, 2021, at 2:14 PM, marilyn <tinkerbelltx@...> wrote:



Hello all,

I’ve never even heard of this app before I was asked to join it. What do you know about it? Any users? Opinions?

Thanks.

Marilyn


moderated Re: Parler

James English
 

@Brian:

I have absolutely no issue with people (president or not) expressing
themselves how they wish. It was mentioned before that the supreme
court said it was perfectly acceptable to ban the shouting of fire in
a crowded building when there was no fire: this was a bad judgement in
my opinion. The consequences of speech must be separated out entirely
from the speech itself, otherwise we risk creating the sort of society
in which people are aggressively self-censoring in case somebody hears
what they say and takes it in an unintended way.

On 1/10/21, Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 06:34 PM, James English wrote:


Authority without responsibility is not a healthy mix.
-
Amen to that!

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

*One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the
shore for a very long time.*

~ André Gide






moderated Re: Parler

 

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 06:34 PM, James English wrote:
Authority without responsibility is not a healthy mix.
-
Amen to that!
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

           ~ André Gide


moderated Re: Parler

James English
 

Hello,

The thing that really gets to me is that section 230 of the
communications decency act protects these companies from things like
defamation lawsuits caused by things that their users put on the
platform as these platforms are not publishers, however when it comes
to the political wars they decide to fight they are perfectly able to
act like publishers. Authority without responsibility is not a healthy
mix.

- James

On 1/10/21, Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@gmail.com> wrote:
The president has been banned from Twitter YouTube Facebook. What kind of
world we live in win the presidential office can be banned from speaking on
public forums.

Randy Barnett

On Jan 10, 2021, at 1:59 PM, Cristóbal <cristobalmuli@gmail.com> wrote:


Funny. Devin Nunes was carrying on about this great injustice of silencing
on … a popular national conservative talk show this morning.
Somehow, these decries of digital gulags and unfair muzzling of ideas sound
kind of specious. As if Trump and any of his toadies would be denied airtime
or a microphone if they wanted to give a press conference right now. The
president’s got an entire room in the White House for this very purpose.
Also, given the bent of folks who hang out on 8chan, Gab and Parler… don’t
be surprised or hurt if screen reader accessibility isn’t exactly on their
things to do or even care about.
Cristóbal

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 12:54 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Parler

A private monopoly. Amounts to the same thing, unless you have the
resources to develop your own app store, web servers, etc.
Companies like Facebook and Twitter have developed a monopoly in social
media, buying up or snuffing out competition. There are two smart phone
platforms run by two companies, and they have colluded along with Amazon Web
Services to stifle free speech. it started with flagging certain tweets and
posts, then it went to deleting certain tweets and posts, then it went to
closing accounts of people whose speech they didn't like, and now to
shutting down entire platforms.
The government doesn't have to get involved, someone else is already doing
their dirty work for them,and they can alway say that what is happening
isn't a violation of the 1st amendment. Technically, that is correct, but
what is happening amounts to the same thing.

Andy

----- Original Message -----
From: Glenn / Lenny
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 12:41 PM
Subject: Re: Parler

Andy and All,
Keep in mind that it is not the government stopping anything, it is a
private business doing this.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: Andy
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 2:14 PM
Subject: Re: Parler

The long term consequences of stifling free speech would be a lot worse than
any speech. The founders thought that free speech was so important that
they made it the 1st amendment to the Constitution. Voltaire said, "I may
disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say
it". i would suggest that you either read or reread George Orwell's
"1984".

Andy

----- Original Message -----
From: Hope Williamson
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: Parler

I don't want to start a debate on deplatformming, which I definitely don't
support, but I think this is why the open web is necessary, now more than
ever.

On 1/10/2021 6:22 AM, Lino Morales wrote:
Bill. Parler is also been axed from the Google play store. They have an
audio CAPTCHA. On the web it will be offline for a week cause in their
infinite greatness Amazon pulled their survers they were using.

On 1/10/2021 2:14 AM, Bill Tessore wrote:
Actually, only the Parler app has been removed from the Apple App Store.
being an independent company, Apple has no power to eliminate the Parler
platform. One can still go to Parler.com and login there. As for signup
accessibility, I’ve not tried that yet as I’ve been studying its About page
and Policies statement. So I’ll hav to look into it. If it is an issue, then
I’ll try pointing it out for resolution. It’s my impression the owner and
company still value ALL their users enough to meet everyone’s needs they
can.

Shalom,



Bill Tessore
billtessore@gmail.com



On Jan 9, 2021, at 10:46 PM, Andy <wq6r@socal.rr.com> wrote:


What is interesting is that before that happened Parler was the number 1
download in the app store.

Andy

----- Original Message -----
From: Adrian Spratt
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2021 9:53 PM
Subject: Re: Parler

As of Saturday, Apple suspended Parler (correct spelling) because it
embraces threats of violence and illegality. If those are things you admire,
you’ll need to look elsewhere.
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 12:44 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: MeWe
I was ready to download Parlar until i saw a review on the app store that
said that it is inaccessible for blind users because in order to join you
need to solve an inaccessible CAPTCHA
Andy
.
----- Original Message -----
From: Bill Tessore
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2021 9:26 PM
Subject: Re: MeWe
All I know is it’s a social media site inspired by the increasingly blatant
sensorial actions of Big Tech against users with opinions that contrast with
the alt-left views of those companies’ positions, particularly with regard
to political matters. Others are Parler.com and Gab.com. Also there’s a
search engine that does NOT artificially search results based on how closely
sites/companies adhere to, or how sharply others diverge from similarly far
left ideals, like Google. com does. Shalom.

Bill Tessore
billtessore@gmail.com



On Jan 9, 2021, at 2:14 PM, marilyn <tinkerbelltx@hotmail.com> wrote:


Hello all,
I’ve never even heard of this app before I was asked to join it. What do you
know about it? Any users? Opinions?
Thanks.
Marilyn






moderated Re: Parler

 

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 06:21 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:
What kind of world we live in win the presidential office can be banned from speaking on public forums.
-
One in which the sitting President of the United States of America is a demagogue who incites riot.

Too little, and way too late.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

           ~ André Gide


moderated Re: Parler

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>
 

The president has been banned from Twitter YouTube Facebook. What kind of world we live in win the presidential office can be banned from speaking on public forums.

Randy Barnett

On Jan 10, 2021, at 1:59 PM, Cristóbal <cristobalmuli@...> wrote:



Funny. Devin Nunes was carrying on about this great injustice of silencing on … a popular national conservative talk show this morning.

Somehow, these decries of digital gulags and unfair muzzling of ideas sound kind of specious. As if Trump and any of his toadies would be denied airtime or a microphone if they wanted to give a press conference right now. The president’s got an entire room in the White House for this very purpose.

Also, given the bent of folks who hang out on 8chan, Gab and Parler… don’t be surprised or hurt if screen reader accessibility isn’t exactly on their things to do or even care about.

Cristóbal

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 12:54 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Parler

 

A private monopoly.  Amounts to the same thing, unless you have the resources to develop your own app store, web servers, etc.

Companies like Facebook and Twitter have developed a monopoly in social media, buying up or snuffing out competition. There are two smart phone platforms run by two companies, and they have colluded along with Amazon Web Services to stifle free speech.  it started with flagging certain tweets and posts, then it went to deleting certain tweets and posts, then it went to closing accounts of people whose speech they didn't like, and now to shutting down entire platforms.

The government doesn't have to get involved, someone else is already doing their dirty work for them,and they can alway say that what is happening isn't a violation of the 1st amendment.  Technically, that is correct, but what is happening amounts to the same thing.

 

Andy

 

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 12:41 PM

Subject: Re: Parler

 

Andy and All,

Keep in mind that it is not the government stopping anything, it is a private business doing this.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

From: Andy

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 2:14 PM

Subject: Re: Parler

 

The long term consequences of stifling free speech would be a lot worse than any speech.  The founders thought that free speech was so important that they made it the 1st amendment to the Constitution. Voltaire said, "I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it".  i would suggest that you either read or reread George Orwell's "1984".

 

Andy

 

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 9:03 AM

Subject: Re: Parler

 

I don't want to start a debate on deplatformming, which I definitely don't support, but I think this is why the open web is necessary, now more than ever.

On 1/10/2021 6:22 AM, Lino Morales wrote:

Bill. Parler is also been axed from the Google play store. They have an audio CAPTCHA. On the web it will be offline for a week cause in their infinite greatness Amazon pulled their survers they were using.

On 1/10/2021 2:14 AM, Bill Tessore wrote:

Actually, only the Parler app has been removed from the Apple App Store. being an independent company, Apple has no power to eliminate the Parler platform. One can still go to Parler.com and login there. As for signup accessibility, I’ve not tried that yet as I’ve been studying its About page and Policies statement. So I’ll hav to look into it. If it is an issue, then I’ll try pointing it out for resolution. It’s my impression the owner and company still value ALL their users enough to meet everyone’s needs they can.

 

Shalom,

 

 

Bill Tessore

 



On Jan 9, 2021, at 10:46 PM, Andy <wq6r@...> wrote:



What is interesting is that before that happened Parler was the number 1 download in the app store.

 

Andy

 

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2021 9:53 PM

Subject: Re: Parler

 

As of Saturday, Apple suspended Parler (correct spelling) because it embraces threats of violence and illegality. If those are things you admire, you’ll need to look elsewhere.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 12:44 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: MeWe

I was ready to download Parlar until i saw a review on the app store that said that it is inaccessible for blind users because in order to join you need to solve an inaccessible CAPTCHA

Andy

.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2021 9:26 PM

Subject: Re: MeWe

All I know is it’s a social media site inspired by the increasingly blatant sensorial actions of Big Tech against users with opinions that contrast with the alt-left views of those companies’ positions, particularly with regard to political matters. Others are Parler.com and Gab.com. Also there’s a search engine that does NOT artificially search results based on how closely sites/companies adhere to, or how sharply others diverge from similarly far left ideals, like Google. com does. Shalom.

Bill Tessore




On Jan 9, 2021, at 2:14 PM, marilyn <tinkerbelltx@...> wrote:



Hello all,

I’ve never even heard of this app before I was asked to join it. What do you know about it? Any users? Opinions?

Thanks.

Marilyn


moderated Re: Parler

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>
 

he wasn't rejected. he already signed a contract. the book was scheduled for release in June but after he made some comments supporting conservative views they labeled him as seditious and irresponsible and inciting violence and drop his book that's their own statement as to why they dropped them. and sure you can start your own platform it may be scene by 100 other people. And these big platforms like Facebook Twitter they change mines they effect ourculture. And if you're excluded from that platform you're silenced and that's the end of that. it is sad that people get so angry that they put the worst possible spend on whatever the people they hate say. even to the point of being irrational.

Randy Barnett

On Jan 10, 2021, at 2:07 PM, JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:



It does matter though – just because corporations are “big”, it doesn’t make them so different from the “little guys” online in the 80s and 90s, who would sometimes ban people just because they didn’t like them or they screwed up someothing once. It happened to me plenty of times. The great thing about the internet is that you don’t have to rely on a platoform like that – and if nobody wants to host your views on their platform, you can just create a new one, or pay someone to do it for you. Publishers reject work from famous people all the time – of course said people are likely to blame the people rejecting their work, and not themselves or the work they do. Getting rejected hurts. These online platforms have never stated they were open to any and all content.

 

As someone who has uh, occasionally engaged in somewhat sketchy things on the internet, I would like it if people adopted a more old-school attitude toward internet usage and been more willing to adopt different sorts of platforms. We don’t necessarily have to rely on these big corporations and their platforms. We just think about them all the time because they appear ubiquitous. But that won’t be forever. While some of these corporate rules sure are crap, a nice thing about living in the 21st century is that we are in a time when nearly everything really is available somewhere. We just have to detach ourselves from these big monopolies.

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: January 10, 2021 04:12 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Parler

 

it doesn't matter if it's a government or a couple of huge corporations. if they're able to stop you from getting your ideas out to people it is stopping free speech. Senator Holly's book was dropped by the publisher because he said the wrong things according to those in charge. when the only way to get ideas out in this modern world is via publishers Facebook YouTube Twitter and apparently Amazon those who control the servers. Then they are able to stifle free speech. It doesn't have to be a government to stifle free speech and free speech should be protected even from corporations.I'm platforms like YouTube Twitter One platforms like YouTube Twitter Facebook start deciding what can be and not be published on their pages they are a publisher and the rules for publishers are totally different from the rules for web platforms. They have to abide by those rules. As corporations now pretty much control all speech in this country.

Randy Barnett


On Jan 10, 2021, at 12:41 PM, Glenn / Lenny <glennervin@...> wrote:



Andy and All,

Keep in mind that it is not the government stopping anything, it is a private business doing this.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

From: Andy

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 2:14 PM

Subject: Re: Parler

 

The long term consequences of stifling free speech would be a lot worse than any speech.  The founders thought that free speech was so important that they made it the 1st amendment to the Constitution. Voltaire said, "I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it".  i would suggest that you either read or reread George Orwell's "1984".

 

Andy

 

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 9:03 AM

Subject: Re: Parler

 

I don't want to start a debate on deplatformming, which I definitely don't support, but I think this is why the open web is necessary, now more than ever.

On 1/10/2021 6:22 AM, Lino Morales wrote:

Bill. Parler is also been axed from the Google play store. They have an audio CAPTCHA. On the web it will be offline for a week cause in their infinite greatness Amazon pulled their survers they were using.

On 1/10/2021 2:14 AM, Bill Tessore wrote:

Actually, only the Parler app has been removed from the Apple App Store. being an independent company, Apple has no power to eliminate the Parler platform. One can still go to Parler.com and login there. As for signup accessibility, I’ve not tried that yet as I’ve been studying its About page and Policies statement. So I’ll hav to look into it. If it is an issue, then I’ll try pointing it out for resolution. It’s my impression the owner and company still value ALL their users enough to meet everyone’s needs they can.

 

Shalom,

 

 

Bill Tessore

 



On Jan 9, 2021, at 10:46 PM, Andy <wq6r@...> wrote:



What is interesting is that before that happened Parler was the number 1 download in the app store.

 

Andy

 

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2021 9:53 PM

Subject: Re: Parler

 

As of Saturday, Apple suspended Parler (correct spelling) because it embraces threats of violence and illegality. If those are things you admire, you’ll need to look elsewhere.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 12:44 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: MeWe

I was ready to download Parlar until i saw a review on the app store that said that it is inaccessible for blind users because in order to join you need to solve an inaccessible CAPTCHA

Andy

.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2021 9:26 PM

Subject: Re: MeWe

All I know is it’s a social media site inspired by the increasingly blatant sensorial actions of Big Tech against users with opinions that contrast with the alt-left views of those companies’ positions, particularly with regard to political matters. Others are Parler.com and Gab.com. Also there’s a search engine that does NOT artificially search results based on how closely sites/companies adhere to, or how sharply others diverge from similarly far left ideals, like Google. com does. Shalom.

Bill Tessore




On Jan 9, 2021, at 2:14 PM, marilyn <tinkerbelltx@...> wrote:



Hello all,

I’ve never even heard of this app before I was asked to join it. What do you know about it? Any users? Opinions?

Thanks.

Marilyn

7781 - 7800 of 93194