Date   

moderated Re: command to restart Jaws is not working

Milton Ota
 

It might be, but again, I tested the command with Leasey and it wasn't working for me.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2022 12:14 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: command to restart Jaws is not working

Further testing under Windows 10 reveals that the restart keyboard commands are working with the latest iteration of JAWS. Could this be a Windows 11 issue?

Cordially,

Curtis Chong


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong via groups.io
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2022 11:11 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: command to restart Jaws is not working

Hello:

It is working fine on my Windows 10 machine. One difference, however. I am running JAWS out of the System Tray.

I will determine now if that makes a difference.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Milton Ota
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2022 11:10 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: command to restart Jaws is not working

Hi,

I just looked up the command in JAWS and it seems like it has been broken. I would call Freedom Scientific and inquire from Tech Support if indeed it is broken.


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of molly the blind tech lover
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2022 8:21 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: command to restart Jaws is not working

Greetings everyone.
For some reason the command to restart Jaws (insert plus spacebar followed by f4), is not working on my pc. When I press that keystroke the Jaws window does not go away. I rebooted my computer which temporarily fixed it, but now it is not working again. Also, the voice command to restart Jaws is also not working. I am running Jaws version
2022 (April 2022 update), and Windows 11 version 21h2. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
Thanks.


moderated Re: command to restart Jaws is not working

Curtis Chong
 

Further testing under Windows 10 reveals that the restart keyboard commands are working with the latest iteration of JAWS. Could this be a Windows 11 issue?

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong via groups.io
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2022 11:11 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: command to restart Jaws is not working

Hello:

It is working fine on my Windows 10 machine. One difference, however. I am running JAWS out of the System Tray.

I will determine now if that makes a difference.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Milton Ota
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2022 11:10 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: command to restart Jaws is not working

Hi,

I just looked up the command in JAWS and it seems like it has been broken. I would call Freedom Scientific and inquire from Tech Support if indeed it is broken.


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of molly the blind tech lover
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2022 8:21 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: command to restart Jaws is not working

Greetings everyone.
For some reason the command to restart Jaws (insert plus spacebar followed by f4), is not working on my pc. When I press that keystroke the Jaws window does not go away. I rebooted my computer which temporarily fixed it, but now it is not working again. Also, the voice command to restart Jaws is also not working. I am running Jaws version
2022 (April 2022 update), and Windows 11 version 21h2. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
Thanks.


moderated Re: command to restart Jaws is not working

Curtis Chong
 

Hello:

It is working fine on my Windows 10 machine. One difference, however. I am running JAWS out of the System Tray.

I will determine now if that makes a difference.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Milton Ota
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2022 11:10 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: command to restart Jaws is not working

Hi,

I just looked up the command in JAWS and it seems like it has been broken. I would call Freedom Scientific and inquire from Tech Support if indeed it is broken.


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of molly the blind tech lover
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2022 8:21 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: command to restart Jaws is not working

Greetings everyone.
For some reason the command to restart Jaws (insert plus spacebar followed by f4), is not working on my pc. When I press that keystroke the Jaws window does not go away. I rebooted my computer which temporarily fixed it, but now it is not working again. Also, the voice command to restart Jaws is also not working. I am running Jaws version
2022 (April 2022 update), and Windows 11 version 21h2. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
Thanks.


moderated Re: command to restart Jaws is not working

Milton Ota
 

Hi,

I just looked up the command in JAWS and it seems like it has been broken. I would call Freedom Scientific and inquire from Tech Support if indeed it is broken.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of molly the blind tech lover
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2022 8:21 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: command to restart Jaws is not working

Greetings everyone.
For some reason the command to restart Jaws (insert plus spacebar followed by f4), is not working on my pc. When I press that keystroke the Jaws window does not go away. I rebooted my computer which temporarily fixed it, but now it is not working again. Also, the voice command to restart Jaws is also not working. I am running Jaws version
2022 (April 2022 update), and Windows 11 version 21h2. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
Thanks.


Re: DECtalk ACCESS32 and JAWS, was RE: Please remind me where to din and how to download voices

Curtis Delzer
 

I cannot get the add-on to work with the newer versions of NVDA. Heavens knows I grew up with computers and DecTalk.



On 6/16/2022 8:00 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:

I always thought Keynote Gold sounded like someone with a sock in their mouth.
I used it on some notetaker a long time back I believe.
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2022 9:58 PM
Subject: Re: DECtalk ACCESS32 and JAWS, was RE: Please remind me where to din and how to download voices

it works with NVDA. There is an addon that gives you decTalk 4.1 through 4.6. and I did offer freedom scientific the dlls so they could get it working with jaws once again as a vintage voice. and I bet Nuance also has source code for keynote gold multimedia so they may be able to bring that back as well.
-- 
Curtis Delzer
H.S.
K6VFO
 Rialto, CA
curtis@...


moderated Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

crayton Benner <craybay3198@...>
 

He. That’s one way to check your battery.

On Jun 17, 2022, at 07:40, molly the blind tech lover <brainardmolly@...> wrote:

I just use the Jaws voice assistant to ask for the battery level/time
and date. Guess I'm lazy lol.

On 6/16/22, Madison Martin <Madison.Martin2000@...> wrote:
Hi Glenn,
I'm using the latest version of Windows 11 and I just tried that keystroke;
you can't arrow down to get to the battery info but if you right arrow
right 5 times you'll hear "system power state button," followed by the
battery status (don't activate the button).

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: June 16, 2022 6:15 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

I don't know about 11, but in windows 10, and earlier windows, I press
windows B and arrow to battery in the system tray.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: "meow meow" <soberwater26q@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2022 6:06 PM
Subject: Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?


sometime I have hard time with window 11 that when I want to check on
battery by instert plus window key plus f10 sometime it will bring up and
sometime it won't that I have to keep trying few time

and someone told me to use control m to bring up decktop but mine would not
work my laptop have hard time getting decktop that only I press humm not
sure what key was it below power buttone I think it is { button




--------------------------------------------------
From: "Chris Hill" <hillco@...>
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2022 8:40 PM
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

Hello.
Have not had any trouble with either one of those. Sounds like a
machine-specific problem that might be solvable with a reinstall of
jaws or something.

CH

On 6/
1/2022 20:40, molly the blind tech lover wrote:
One thing I've noticed with Jaws 2022 lately is that at least on my
machine, it seems to become completely unresponsive while using the
task manager and device manager, whereas NVDA works perfectly fine. I
don't know if this is just a Windows 11 issue or if it's something
unique to my machine or if it's an issue with Jaws. Either way I
prefer to use NVDA while using both the task manager and device
manager.

On 6/11/22, Glenn / Lenny <glenn@...> wrote:
I've always thought NVDA was more like Window Eyes.
Now, if there was a Jaws add-on for NVDA, that set the keyboard
functions to

be like Jaws, I think a lot more people would use it.
I remember when Microsoft Word had a WordPerfect keyboard layout,
that made

it a lot easier for WP users.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: "Don H" <lmddh50@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2022 5:25 PM
Subject: Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?


Having been a long time Window Eyes user I found the move to NVDA
much easier than a move to Jaws. I have NVDA and the latest version
of Jaws on my computer and use NVDA 90 percent of the time.

On 6/11/2022 5:04 PM, Mich Verrier wrote:
Hi I have triedNVDA but I never got verry far with it. I used Jaws
and that is what I have used all the way back to Jaws 3.7 I am now
using Jaws

2022 and am having a lot of fun with it. From Mich.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of molly
the blind

tech lover
Sent: June 11, 2022 3:48 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

Hi. This is such an interesting topic. I rather enjoy discussions
like this. I prefer Jaws over NVDA because Jaws has the Braille
math editor, which I need to use for math class. NVDA is a great
screen reader if you don't need to do math. Also, I love Jaws
picture smart, voice assistant feature, and the convenient OCR. I
do use NVDA occasionally, and I like how there are so many unique NVDA
add-ons.
However, my overall preference is Jaws.


On 6/11/22, James Malone <james.malone93502@...> wrote:
Hi all,
inspired from an earlier topic, I got to wondering:
What makes people keep coming back to Jaws over NVDA? I also want
to emphasise that this is not a topic trying to bash one or the
other, I'd really like to hear some opinions from the Jaws side.
What do you think it does better? Where do you think it's
weakness's are? I've been a long time NVDA user and occasionally
dabbled in Jaws here and there over the past year or so. Something
I commonly see is that Jaws still seems to have better braille
support. I also don't know how many organisations would be super
happy with the idea of putting NVDA on a work computer, so there's
that. I used Jaws growing up, so I have a fair amount of
experience in both readers. Using Jaws recently also told me that
the overall look and feel hasn't really changed either, so there
was next to no learning curve when it came to reacquainting
myself. I know NV access have been working on this, but to my
understanding Jaws also seems to have better UIA support, something
that can only be a positive!
Looking forward to hearing from you, James














































moderated command to restart Jaws is not working

molly the blind tech lover
 

Greetings everyone.
For some reason the command to restart Jaws (insert plus spacebar
followed by f4), is not working on my pc. When I press that keystroke
the Jaws window does not go away. I rebooted my computer which
temporarily fixed it, but now it is not working again. Also, the voice
command to restart Jaws is also not working. I am running Jaws version
2022 (April 2022 update), and Windows 11 version 21h2. Is anyone else
experiencing this issue?
Thanks.


moderated Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

molly the blind tech lover
 

I just use the Jaws voice assistant to ask for the battery level/time
and date. Guess I'm lazy lol.

On 6/16/22, Madison Martin <Madison.Martin2000@...> wrote:
Hi Glenn,
I'm using the latest version of Windows 11 and I just tried that keystroke;
you can't arrow down to get to the battery info but if you right arrow
right 5 times you'll hear "system power state button," followed by the
battery status (don't activate the button).

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: June 16, 2022 6:15 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

I don't know about 11, but in windows 10, and earlier windows, I press
windows B and arrow to battery in the system tray.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: "meow meow" <soberwater26q@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2022 6:06 PM
Subject: Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?


sometime I have hard time with window 11 that when I want to check on
battery by instert plus window key plus f10 sometime it will bring up and
sometime it won't that I have to keep trying few time

and someone told me to use control m to bring up decktop but mine would not
work my laptop have hard time getting decktop that only I press humm not
sure what key was it below power buttone I think it is { button




--------------------------------------------------
From: "Chris Hill" <hillco@...>
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2022 8:40 PM
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

Hello.
Have not had any trouble with either one of those. Sounds like a
machine-specific problem that might be solvable with a reinstall of
jaws or something.

CH

On 6/
1/2022 20:40, molly the blind tech lover wrote:
One thing I've noticed with Jaws 2022 lately is that at least on my
machine, it seems to become completely unresponsive while using the
task manager and device manager, whereas NVDA works perfectly fine. I
don't know if this is just a Windows 11 issue or if it's something
unique to my machine or if it's an issue with Jaws. Either way I
prefer to use NVDA while using both the task manager and device
manager.

On 6/11/22, Glenn / Lenny <glenn@...> wrote:
I've always thought NVDA was more like Window Eyes.
Now, if there was a Jaws add-on for NVDA, that set the keyboard
functions to

be like Jaws, I think a lot more people would use it.
I remember when Microsoft Word had a WordPerfect keyboard layout,
that made

it a lot easier for WP users.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: "Don H" <lmddh50@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2022 5:25 PM
Subject: Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?


Having been a long time Window Eyes user I found the move to NVDA
much easier than a move to Jaws. I have NVDA and the latest version
of Jaws on my computer and use NVDA 90 percent of the time.

On 6/11/2022 5:04 PM, Mich Verrier wrote:
Hi I have triedNVDA but I never got verry far with it. I used Jaws
and that is what I have used all the way back to Jaws 3.7 I am now
using Jaws

2022 and am having a lot of fun with it. From Mich.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of molly
the blind

tech lover
Sent: June 11, 2022 3:48 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

Hi. This is such an interesting topic. I rather enjoy discussions
like this. I prefer Jaws over NVDA because Jaws has the Braille
math editor, which I need to use for math class. NVDA is a great
screen reader if you don't need to do math. Also, I love Jaws
picture smart, voice assistant feature, and the convenient OCR. I
do use NVDA occasionally, and I like how there are so many unique NVDA
add-ons.
However, my overall preference is Jaws.


On 6/11/22, James Malone <james.malone93502@...> wrote:
Hi all,
inspired from an earlier topic, I got to wondering:
What makes people keep coming back to Jaws over NVDA? I also want
to emphasise that this is not a topic trying to bash one or the
other, I'd really like to hear some opinions from the Jaws side.
What do you think it does better? Where do you think it's
weakness's are? I've been a long time NVDA user and occasionally
dabbled in Jaws here and there over the past year or so. Something
I commonly see is that Jaws still seems to have better braille
support. I also don't know how many organisations would be super
happy with the idea of putting NVDA on a work computer, so there's
that. I used Jaws growing up, so I have a fair amount of
experience in both readers. Using Jaws recently also told me that
the overall look and feel hasn't really changed either, so there
was next to no learning curve when it came to reacquainting
myself. I know NV access have been working on this, but to my
understanding Jaws also seems to have better UIA support, something
that can only be a positive!
Looking forward to hearing from you, James











































moderated Re: Saving Jaws?

Curtis Chong
 

Unlike NVDA, JAWS cannot be made portable. You can copy the installation software to a flash drive and install this on to another machine to get a 40-minute demonstration version. But the licensing does not necessarily carry over.

 

Cordially,

 

Curtis Chong

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claudia
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2022 9:43 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Saving Jaws?

 

Hello,

C

An Jaws be saved on a USB drive?

Thanks.

 

Claudia

 


moderated Saving Jaws?

Claudia
 

Hello,

C

An Jaws be saved on a USB drive?

Thanks.

 

Claudia

 


moderated Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

Jeff Christiansen
 

Try, Insert+Shift+B

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <> On Behalf Of meow meow
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2022 5:06 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

sometime I have hard time with window 11 that when I want to check on battery by instert plus window key plus f10 sometime it will bring up and sometime it won't that I have to keep trying few time

and someone told me to use control m to bring up decktop but mine would not work my laptop have hard time getting decktop that only I press humm not sure what key was it below power buttone I think it is { button




--------------------------------------------------
From: "Chris Hill" <hillco@...>
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2022 8:40 PM
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

Hello.
Have not had any trouble with either one of those. Sounds like a
machine-specific problem that might be solvable with a reinstall of
jaws or something.

CH

On 6/
1/2022 20:40, molly the blind tech lover wrote:
One thing I've noticed with Jaws 2022 lately is that at least on my
machine, it seems to become completely unresponsive while using the
task manager and device manager, whereas NVDA works perfectly fine. I
don't know if this is just a Windows 11 issue or if it's something
unique to my machine or if it's an issue with Jaws. Either way I
prefer to use NVDA while using both the task manager and device
manager.

On 6/11/22, Glenn / Lenny <glenn@...> wrote:
I've always thought NVDA was more like Window Eyes.
Now, if there was a Jaws add-on for NVDA, that set the keyboard
functions to

be like Jaws, I think a lot more people would use it.
I remember when Microsoft Word had a WordPerfect keyboard layout,
that made

it a lot easier for WP users.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: "Don H" <lmddh50@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2022 5:25 PM
Subject: Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?


Having been a long time Window Eyes user I found the move to NVDA
much easier than a move to Jaws. I have NVDA and the latest version
of Jaws on my computer and use NVDA 90 percent of the time.

On 6/11/2022 5:04 PM, Mich Verrier wrote:
Hi I have triedNVDA but I never got verry far with it. I used Jaws
and that is what I have used all the way back to Jaws 3.7 I am now
using Jaws

2022 and am having a lot of fun with it. From Mich.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of molly
the blind

tech lover
Sent: June 11, 2022 3:48 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

Hi. This is such an interesting topic. I rather enjoy discussions
like this. I prefer Jaws over NVDA because Jaws has the Braille
math editor, which I need to use for math class. NVDA is a great
screen reader if you don't need to do math. Also, I love Jaws
picture smart, voice assistant feature, and the convenient OCR. I
do use NVDA occasionally, and I like how there are so many unique NVDA add-ons.
However, my overall preference is Jaws.


On 6/11/22, James Malone <james.malone93502@...> wrote:
Hi all,
inspired from an earlier topic, I got to wondering:
What makes people keep coming back to Jaws over NVDA? I also want
to emphasise that this is not a topic trying to bash one or the
other, I'd really like to hear some opinions from the Jaws side.
What do you think it does better? Where do you think it's
weakness's are? I've been a long time NVDA user and occasionally
dabbled in Jaws here and there over the past year or so. Something
I commonly see is that Jaws still seems to have better braille
support. I also don't know how many organisations would be super
happy with the idea of putting NVDA on a work computer, so there's
that. I used Jaws growing up, so I have a fair amount of
experience in both readers. Using Jaws recently also told me that
the overall look and feel hasn't really changed either, so there
was next to no learning curve when it came to reacquainting
myself. I know NV access have been working on this, but to my
understanding Jaws also seems to have better UIA support, something that can only be a positive!
Looking forward to hearing from you, James




























Re: DECtalk ACCESS32 and JAWS, was RE: Please remind me where to din and how to download voices

Josh Kennedy
 

you probably used keynote gold with a brailleNote classic, or a keynote companion. I used it on a grid laptop customized by pulseData back in 1992, with Keysoft version 1.33F for ms-dos 5.0  and the pulseData masterTouch screen reader the the MasterTouch tablet, which I never used but I had it. I wish I would have played with that thing. It was a tablet with 25 raised lines going across it and a few buttons. It plugged into the Keynote gold SA speech box using a short phone line type cord. And you could move your finger across the raised lines on the tablet and Keynote gold would read the corresponding screen lines to you. not sure what the other buttons did. Dos had 25 lines of 80 characters each. Dos stands for disk operating system and was a command-line OS. you type commands to make it do stuff like erase files or load programs and only one program would run at a time unless you had a special multiTasking shell. I did use smooth talker for dos with the sound blaster card. its motto was: sound blaster, blast away the sound!! Smooth talker with the shareware Tiny Talk screen reader by Erik Bohlman and it was rather laggy and slow. Anyway  the dos operating system it also sometimes used extended ascii characters for drawing boxes and dialogs and stuff which some screen readers such as vocal-eyes and ASAP could tell you what those characters were. And if your screen reader did not support keynote gold directly. \You would edit your config.sys file and put in this line:

device= c:\golddev.sys

After you had the free golddev.sys file, of course. Then making sure your keynote gold SA was connected to the grid laptop, you turn it off, and back on. Then Keynote Gold SA serial speech synthesizer with its default serial settings of 38300 baud I think, 8 data bits, no parody, 1 stop bits, and software handshaking or xon-xoff handshaking would say:

Gold Card device driver version 1.44 ready. Serial number demo.

And then you tell your screen reader like ASAP by MicroTalk to use an Accent synthesizer on com1. Then Keynote gold would work. Or you could use outSpoken for windows3.1. And it worked that way also. Windows-master screen reader by blazie engineering also worked. I wish I could have used Keysoft with decTalk just to see what it was like. But it worked good with my Keynote Gold SA speech synthesizer. And on the back of the keynote gold box was brailled its serial number and the company name, PulseData. 


moderated Re: Double And signs

Dennis Brown
 

Do you get the double symbols?

 

Thanks,

Dennis T. Brown

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cohn, Jonathan via groups.io
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2022 8:37 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Double And signs

 

Well, there is a symbols file that is used to convert symbols to text strings. But if you are running the current version of JAWS, and you have never tried to adjust symbol pronunciation then you should probably talk to support so this can be properly fixed.
Personally, I didn't even notice the double speak since often in programming two ampersands are placed next to each other.




AVG logo

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com



moderated Re: jaws and vintage classic voices

Josh Kennedy
 

IBM viavoice outloud is IBM's version of eloquence, with voices like reed, shelly, rocko, bobby, etcetera. decTalk has perfect paul, betty, kit the kid, harry, whispering wendy, and a few others. 


moderated Re: jaws and vintage classic voices

Josh Kennedy
 

IBM viavoice is sapi4, so if they will bring back sapi4 support into jaws then yes IBM viavoice will work. IBM viavoice also has support for a few more languages.


moderated Re: Double And signs

Cohn, Jonathan
 

Well, there is a symbols file that is used to convert symbols to text strings. But if you are running the current version of JAWS, and you have never tried to adjust symbol pronunciation then you should probably talk to support so this can be properly fixed.
Personally, I didn't even notice the double speak since often in programming two ampersands are placed next to each other.


moderated Re: jaws and vintage classic voices

Kestrel Verlager <kestrell@...>
 

When you say the old IBM Via Voice that was also DecTalk, are those the voices such as Perfect Paul, Whispering Wendy, Huge Harry, etc?

 

I miss those voices.

 

Well, perhaps not Whispering Wendy. Although I’ve always thought that if I could connect Whispering Wendy to a motion detector and have her just whisper at intruders, she would scare them away more effectively than any guard dog.  

  

Kestrell

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cornelius
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2022 9:40 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: jaws and vintage classic voices

 

 

There is an older version which sounded different from the new one. I believe in those time it is called IBM via voice

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Friday, 17 June, 2022 9:11 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: jaws and vintage classic voices

 

That is Eloquence, which is the default synth in Jaws.

 

----- Original Message -----

From: Cornelius

Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2022 7:59 PM

Subject: Re: jaws and vintage classic voices

 

How about the IBM Veia voice? Will there be ways to make it work on JAWS?

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: Friday, 17 June, 2022 6:51 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: jaws and vintage classic voices

 

I wonder if jaws could be scripted to work withh the decTalk dlls I already have? 


moderated Re: Thunderbird braille input help

K0LNY
 

Doesn't Jaws have a Braille input setting called eight dot Braille mode?
I saw that setting somewhere once.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
From: "guy schlosser" <guyster104@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2022 10:49 PM
Subject: Re: Thunderbird braille input help


Just to do some further testing, I composed an email, using NVDA and
Mozilla Thunderbird. Using dot 8 for enter on the focus, worked exactly
as expected. This leads me to ask, is there a different code sent by
JAWS when dot 8 is pressed? This is very weird. Thanks in advance for
any suggestions on fixing.

Guy
On 6/14/2022 7:31 PM, guy schlosser via groups.io wrote:
Hello everyone, I am writing this for a client. She is learning to use
JAWS via a focus 40 blue, with no qwerty keyboard. The problem we are
having has been discussed before, and I'm wondering if there has ever
been a solution found. When composing an email in Thunderbird, using
grade 2 braille, it seems like the email is being flipped upsidedown,
whenever we press the dot 8 (enter key). Does anyone know how to keep
this from happening? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
much in advance.


Guy

P.S. My client is using Jaws 2022, with all latest updates.



--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


moderated Re: Thunderbird braille input help

guy schlosser
 

Just to do some further testing, I composed an email, using NVDA and Mozilla Thunderbird.  Using dot 8 for enter on the focus, worked exactly as expected. This leads me to ask, is there a different code sent by JAWS when dot 8 is pressed? This is very weird. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on fixing.

Guy

On 6/14/2022 7:31 PM, guy schlosser via groups.io wrote:
Hello everyone, I am writing this for a client. She is learning to use JAWS via a focus 40 blue, with no qwerty keyboard. The problem we are having has been discussed before, and I'm wondering if there has ever been a solution found. When composing an email in Thunderbird, using grade 2 braille, it seems like the email is being flipped upsidedown, whenever we press the dot 8 (enter key). Does anyone know how to keep this from happening? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much in advance.


Guy

P.S. My client is using Jaws 2022, with all latest updates.


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Re: DECtalk ACCESS32 and JAWS, was RE: Please remind me where to din and how to download voices

Pat Byrne
 

I had Keynote Gold at a job site - it couldn't pronounce the letter "K",, so it said press any pee to continue, and so on.  I lived with it!
Pat Byrne At 10:00 PM 6/16/2022, you wrote:


I always thought Keynote Gold sounded like someone with a sock in their mouth.
I used it on some notetaker a long time back I believe.
 
----- Original Message -----
From: Josh Kennedy
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2022 9:58 PM
Subject: Re: DECtalk ACCESS32 and JAWS, was RE: Please remind me where to din and how to download voices

it works with NVDA. There is an addon that gives you decTalk 4.1 through 4.6. and I did offer freedom scientific the dlls so they could get it working with jaws once again as a vintage voice. and I bet Nuance also has source code for keynote gold multimedia so they may be able to bring that back as well.

4841 - 4860 of 102584