Date   

moderated Re: Loading a webpage, why is JAWS chatty?

Mark
 

I'm not sure about that Bill. I made a test HTML page with just a link to a second page and it's seems just as chatty. 


moderated Help Using JAWS to delete Blue Mountain Contact

Rick Miller
 

Dear Listers:

 

Are any of you familiar with the Blue Mountain e-card service?  It has e-cards for birthdays, anniversaries, etc.  It also has an addressbook where you can store all your contacts.  My problem is deleting a contact from the addressbook.  The directions say that if you want to delete someone, check the contact and then hit the Delete button at the top of the page.  I have multiple addresses for one contact and I am trying to delete one of them.  When I check the box next to the address I want to delete there appears a notice to delete selected.  I hit the Enter key and a dialog pops up.  At the very bottom of the page there is an OK button.  I hit the Enter key on it but the address I want to delete will not go away.  If any of you out there have used Blue Mountain, can you give me some help and advice.

 

 

 

Rick Miller

 


moderated Re: Loading a webpage, why is JAWS chatty?

Bill White
 

Hi, Mark. It usually has to do with bad programming of the web page. The extra verbiage is usually voicing code from images on the web page.

 

Bill White

 

billwhite92701@...

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark
Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2021 1:59 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Loading a webpage, why is JAWS chatty?

 

With some webpages, when I click a link and the new page is loaded, JAWS is quite chatty. In some cases, some of the HTML context from the source page is spoken.  I've tried lowering web verbosity and regular verbosity levels, but it doesn't do anything. Does anyone know why?

For example, on this culture, history, and sport page from the government of Canada, I press enter on the History and heritage link, the title of the current window is spoken, then the heading and link, then the destination page twice. Here's the speech history

Culture, history and sport - Canada.ca

 heading level 3‑  Link‑ History and heritage

History and heritage - Canada.ca

History and heritage - Canada.ca

Page has 9Regions, 25headings and 60links


moderated Loading a webpage, why is JAWS chatty?

Mark
 

With some webpages, when I click a link and the new page is loaded, JAWS is quite chatty. In some cases, some of the HTML context from the source page is spoken.  I've tried lowering web verbosity and regular verbosity levels, but it doesn't do anything. Does anyone know why?

For example, on this culture, history, and sport page from the government of Canada, I press enter on the History and heritage link, the title of the current window is spoken, then the heading and link, then the destination page twice. Here's the speech history

Culture, history and sport - Canada.ca
 heading level 3  Link History and heritage
History and heritage - Canada.ca
History and heritage - Canada.ca
Page has 9Regions, 25headings and 60links


moderated Re: braille writer

meow meow
 

I did look up from internet and all I can see is for learning for kids
 

Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2021 1:27 PM
Subject: Re: braille writer

Isn’t there still a company that makes the Mountbatten braille writer? i’ve seen some before, and it’s my understanding they do the same thing and are built primarily the same too.

Shalom,


Bill Tessore


On Nov 21, 2021, at 11:47 AM, Milton Ota <mota1252@...> wrote:



You really have only one choice and that is the Perkins Braille Writer. I don’t think you are looking for the electric one.

 

You can find brand new ones at Perkins Store. Price is around $900.00

 

Here is the web URL to the Perkins Store for Braille Writers:

https://brailler.perkins.org/pages/perkins-brailler

 

You can find people selling secondhand Perkins Braillers ranging in price from around $250.00 and I have seen some going for as high as $400.00. Ads are usually found on blindads a listserv found on groups.io, and you can find ads in the Braille Forum from the American Council of the Blind and the Braille Monitor from the National Federation of the Blind.

 

HTH

 

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of meow meow
Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2021 1:37 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: braille writer

 

Hi Roseie here...

I hope I can ask this kind of question

do anyone know whick kind is best to buy good braille writer?

just manual

thanks


moderated Re: braille writer

Bill Tessore
 

Isn’t there still a company that makes the Mountbatten braille writer? i’ve seen some before, and it’s my understanding they do the same thing and are built primarily the same too.

Shalom,


Bill Tessore
billtessore@...


On Nov 21, 2021, at 11:47 AM, Milton Ota <mota1252@...> wrote:



You really have only one choice and that is the Perkins Braille Writer. I don’t think you are looking for the electric one.

 

You can find brand new ones at Perkins Store. Price is around $900.00

 

Here is the web URL to the Perkins Store for Braille Writers:

https://brailler.perkins.org/pages/perkins-brailler

 

You can find people selling secondhand Perkins Braillers ranging in price from around $250.00 and I have seen some going for as high as $400.00. Ads are usually found on blindads a listserv found on groups.io, and you can find ads in the Braille Forum from the American Council of the Blind and the Braille Monitor from the National Federation of the Blind.

 

HTH

 

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of meow meow
Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2021 1:37 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: braille writer

 

Hi Roseie here...

I hope I can ask this kind of question

do anyone know whick kind is best to buy good braille writer?

just manual

thanks


moderated Re: braille writer

Milton Ota
 

You really have only one choice and that is the Perkins Braille Writer. I don’t think you are looking for the electric one.

 

You can find brand new ones at Perkins Store. Price is around $900.00

 

Here is the web URL to the Perkins Store for Braille Writers:

https://brailler.perkins.org/pages/perkins-brailler

 

You can find people selling secondhand Perkins Braillers ranging in price from around $250.00 and I have seen some going for as high as $400.00. Ads are usually found on blindads a listserv found on groups.io, and you can find ads in the Braille Forum from the American Council of the Blind and the Braille Monitor from the National Federation of the Blind.

 

HTH

 

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of meow meow
Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2021 1:37 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: braille writer

 

Hi Roseie here...

I hope I can ask this kind of question

do anyone know whick kind is best to buy good braille writer?

just manual

thanks


moderated braille writer

meow meow
 

Hi Roseie here...
I hope I can ask this kind of question
do anyone know whick kind is best to buy good braille writer?
just manual
thanks


moderated Re: File explorer is upside-down

David & his pack of dogs <myguidedogis@...>
 

I've seen occasions where someone accidentally activated one of the other columns, say Date modified, and had no idea why their sort order in the name column looked like nothing they've ever encountered before.  Some go through life aimlessly, have no idea where they are going most of the time and how they got there. One of my family members is like that.  She drives like that and surfs the internet the same way, creating problems for herself and having no idea what she did to create them because she did not know what she did.  .   

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: November 21, 2021 7:56 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: File explorer is upside-down

 

On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 07:53 PM, Mario wrote:

tab to and spacebar on a name split button

-
Just a quick note should someone find themselves in the situation.  Each column in file explorer if you're using list or details view is a split button, and you can sort by any single column in either ascending or descending order.  It's the main part of the split button, not the split part, that toggles sort order back and forth

I've seen occasions where someone accidentally activated one of the other columns, say Date modified, and had no idea why their sort order in the name column looked like nothing they've ever encountered before.

If something like that does occur, just gain focus on the left half of the split button for the column on which you want your files sorted and activate it.  You may have to do that twice if the initial sort order is reversed from what you actually wanted.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

    ~ William Plomer


moderated Re: File explorer is upside-down

 

On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 07:53 PM, Mario wrote:
tab to and spacebar on a name split button
-
Just a quick note should someone find themselves in the situation.  Each column in file explorer if you're using list or details view is a split button, and you can sort by any single column in either ascending or descending order.  It's the main part of the split button, not the split part, that toggles sort order back and forth

I've seen occasions where someone accidentally activated one of the other columns, say Date modified, and had no idea why their sort order in the name column looked like nothing they've ever encountered before.

If something like that does occur, just gain focus on the left half of the split button for the column on which you want your files sorted and activate it.  You may have to do that twice if the initial sort order is reversed from what you actually wanted.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

    ~ William Plomer


moderated Re: File explorer is upside-down

Shirley Tracy
 

Thank you again. The reverse order was driving me crazy.

 

 

 

Shirley Tracy

 

From: Mario
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2021 7:53 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: File explorer is upside-down

 

tab to and spacebar on a name split button which should return to the

list of files in reverse order.

 

-------- Original Message --------

From: Shirley Tracy [mailto:shirleytracy16@...]

Subject: File explorer is upside-down

Date: Saturday, November 20, 2021, 7:38 PM

To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>

Good evening everyone,

 

Suddenly, the items in file explorer are in reverse order—Beginning with

Z and ending with A. I don’t like this because I’m not used to it. How

can I reverse it back? I don’t know how it ended up this way.

 

Thank you for any help.

 

Shirley

 

Shirley Tracy

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

 


moderated Carroll Center for the Blind Virtual Technology Fair, November 23

David Kingsbury
 

Hi all,

Read about and register for the Carroll Center for the Blind Technology Fair, which begins at 10:000 EST this Tuesday November 23, at:

Virtual Technology Fair - The Carroll Center for the Blind

The Tech Fair will be conducted remotely via Zoom, and registration is free to all. The keynote speaker will be Jonathan Mosen, longtime advoicate for visually-impaired and blind people, and host of the Mosen At Large podcast. Carroll Center staff members will make presentations about IOS 15 features, using Amazon’s Alexa, and tips and tricks for using screen reader programs in the Windows operating system environment. Visit the Virtual Exhibition Hall where you can interact with some of your favorite assistive technology vendors.

Regards,

David

 

 


moderated Re: File explorer is upside-down

Shirley Tracy
 

Thanks. It worked.

 

Shirley

 

 

Shirley Tracy

 

From: Mario
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2021 7:53 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: File explorer is upside-down

 

tab to and spacebar on a name split button which should return to the

list of files in reverse order.

 

-------- Original Message --------

From: Shirley Tracy [mailto:shirleytracy16@...]

Subject: File explorer is upside-down

Date: Saturday, November 20, 2021, 7:38 PM

To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>

Good evening everyone,

 

Suddenly, the items in file explorer are in reverse order—Beginning with

Z and ending with A. I don’t like this because I’m not used to it. How

can I reverse it back? I don’t know how it ended up this way.

 

Thank you for any help.

 

Shirley

 

Shirley Tracy

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

 


moderated Re: File explorer is upside-down

Mario
 

tab to and spacebar on a name split button which should return to the list of files in reverse order.

-------- Original Message --------
From: Shirley Tracy [mailto:shirleytracy16@gmail.com]
Subject: File explorer is upside-down
Date: Saturday, November 20, 2021, 7:38 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>
Good evening everyone,

Suddenly, the items in file explorer are in reverse order—Beginning with
Z and ending with A. I don’t like this because I’m not used to it. How
can I reverse it back? I don’t know how it ended up this way.

Thank you for any help.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy


.


moderated Re: File explorer is upside-down

Shirley Tracy
 

Oops! I forgot to tell you that: I’m running Windows 10 and JAWS 2022.

 

Thanks.

 

 

Shirley Tracy

 

From: Kevin Minor
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2021 7:50 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: File explorer is upside-down

 

Hi Shirley.

 

What version of Windows are you using? If it’s 10, I can help.

 

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shirley Tracy
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2021 7:38 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: File explorer is upside-down

 

Good evening everyone,

 

Suddenly, the items in file explorer are in reverse order—Beginning with Z and ending with A. I don’t like this because I’m not used to it. How can I reverse it back? I don’t know how it ended up this way.

 

Thank you for any help.

 

Shirley

 

 

Shirley Tracy

 

 


moderated Re: File explorer is upside-down

Kevin Minor
 

Hi Shirley.

 

What version of Windows are you using? If it’s 10, I can help.

 

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shirley Tracy
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2021 7:38 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: File explorer is upside-down

 

Good evening everyone,

 

Suddenly, the items in file explorer are in reverse order—Beginning with Z and ending with A. I don’t like this because I’m not used to it. How can I reverse it back? I don’t know how it ended up this way.

 

Thank you for any help.

 

Shirley

 

 

Shirley Tracy

 


moderated File explorer is upside-down

Shirley Tracy
 

Good evening everyone,

 

Suddenly, the items in file explorer are in reverse order—Beginning with Z and ending with A. I don’t like this because I’m not used to it. How can I reverse it back? I don’t know how it ended up this way.

 

Thank you for any help.

 

Shirley

 

 

Shirley Tracy

 


moderated finding the facebook timeline for a friend's birthday with jaws

louise peyton
 

Hello:

I use Jaws 2022 and m.facebook.com  However, when I pull up a friend’s name for their birthday, I can’t locate the time line to send my greeting.  Can you help?  Thanks in advance.

Louise


moderated Re: DVD Player app that works with JAWS and Windows 10

Maria Campbell
 

Are there shortcut keys to be found for the VLC player?



Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.
--Edmund Burke
On 11/20/2021 7:35 AM, Dave Durber wrote:

Dan:
 
VLC media player, will play virtually any video and audio file.
 
You can get it from:
 
 
When the page has loaded, search for VLC. Check the check box, then press the letter b. you will land on the "Get Your Ninite Alt+Shift+g button". Press ENTER, to start the download.
 
Programs/Applications you can download from ninite.com, come with No toolbars. No clicking next. Just pick your apps and go. All the installation programs are executable files. After you press ENTER on the installation file, the program/application is installed automatically. A Close Button is announced by JAWS, when the installation has been completed.
 
Dave
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2021 10:00 PM
Subject: DVD Player app that works with JAWS and Windows 10

Hi,

  Looking for reliable DVD player app that works with JAWS and Windows 10.

Using latest of JAWS and Windows with all updates.

Free editions preferred but paid suggestions also welcome. 

 

Thanks,

Dan


moderated Re: DVD Player app that works with JAWS and Windows 10

Dan Longmore
 

Thanks much for the help.


On Nov 20, 2021, at 7:35 AM, Dave Durber <d.durber@...> wrote:


Dan:
 
VLC media player, will play virtually any video and audio file.
 
You can get it from:
 
 
When the page has loaded, search for VLC. Check the check box, then press the letter b. you will land on the "Get Your Ninite Alt+Shift+g button". Press ENTER, to start the download.
 
Programs/Applications you can download from ninite.com, come with No toolbars. No clicking next. Just pick your apps and go. All the installation programs are executable files. After you press ENTER on the installation file, the program/application is installed automatically. A Close Button is announced by JAWS, when the installation has been completed.
 
Dave
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2021 10:00 PM
Subject: DVD Player app that works with JAWS and Windows 10

Hi,

  Looking for reliable DVD player app that works with JAWS and Windows 10.

Using latest of JAWS and Windows with all updates.

Free editions preferred but paid suggestions also welcome. 

 

Thanks,

Dan

3201 - 3220 of 97131