Date   

moderated Re: Excel formula

Curtis Chong
 

No. I don’t understand the problem.

 

Curtis

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Doering
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 10:35 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Excel formula

 

Hello:

I am trying to write a formula into an existing Excel spread sheet and I am having a problem.

For example:

I type =2+2 and hit enter.

I arrow back up to the cell and I hear =2+2 has formula.

I opened a new spread sheet and typed in the same thing and get 4 as I should.

Any ideas on what the issue is?

Any thoughts  would be appreciated.

 

Thank you in advance,

John

 

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

Industries for the Blind & Visually Impaired accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.


moderated Excel formula

John Doering
 

Hello:

I am trying to write a formula into an existing Excel spread sheet and I am having a problem.

For example:

I type =2+2 and hit enter.

I arrow back up to the cell and I hear =2+2 has formula.

I opened a new spread sheet and typed in the same thing and get 4 as I should.

Any ideas on what the issue is?

Any thoughts  would be appreciated.

 

Thank you in advance,

John

 

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

Industries for the Blind & Visually Impaired accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.


moderated Re: strange problem when opening pdf files

kevin meyers
 

Hi Richard,

 

I just installed Adobe Acrobat reader DC. During installation I set it as default. I pressed enter on a PDF file that is an attachment in an email. It open with no problem.

 

When the file opened, Jaws read with spaces between words and many words with no spaces between them.

 

Is there a way to stop this from happening?

 

Cheers,

 

Kevin

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 11:26 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: strange problem when opening pdf files

 

If by normally, you mean in Acrobat Reader, you need to go into the program default settings and set PDF’s to Acrobat.

Or, if you have a PDF on your computer, put focus on it, use the Applications key, or shift+f10, arrow down to Open With, and hit enter, then arrow to Adobe Acrobat, and tab to Always use this app to open PDF’s and check it and tab to OK and hit enter.

That should change the default to Adobe Acrobat, but if not, the Program Default settings by file type should solve it.

 

 

 

 

Richard

“Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it.” – Jane Wagner

 

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of John J. Fioravanti, Jr.
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 9:17 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: strange problem when opening pdf files

 

Good morning: In the past few days, when opening a pdf file on my laptop, it opens in Google Chrome and goes through the typical options when opening a pdf file while in Google Chrome, giving me options to print, download etc. How can I prevent this from happening so that the pdf file simply opens normally.

I don't know if the fact that I'm using Jaws 19, has anything to do with it, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Thanks.  


moderated Re: Jaws scripting and job success questions

Michael Walker
 

Thank you for all of the feedback on Jaws scripting. I also like Pam’s point about using the command line for databases. These days, if I’m using Microsoft SQL Server, I’m able to use the graphical tool called SQL server management studio.

To the points about jaws scripting and being a programmer, I’m still thinking about learning the basics of jaws scripting. It’s pretty amazing to think that one could fix a lot of accessibility issues in a few lines of scripting. However, keep in mind that if you’re a programmer analyst, you’re also going to be expected to learn the programming tools that the company wants you to learn for whatever needs to be developed, so that is going to limit your time for learning jaws scripting.  I pretty much learn what I need when I need it.

Mike 

On Oct 8, 2021, at 4:49 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 03:38 AM, Michael Walker wrote:
Can knowing it [JAWS Scripting] fix absolutely everything that is inaccessible?
-
The simple answer to this question is, "No."

As a general statement, regarding any programming language (and I count scripts in that broad category) there is no one, universal tool that can be used to fix every issue.  The reasons that so many actually exist is that what they're being used for has very often driven the development of the language itself.

There is a lot that JAWS scripting can do, and particularly if you're faced with custom software that is not web based that is inaccessible.  As web based systems have become more common, and so much is now done through a web browser, even if it's a proprietary in-house system, that scripting is less necessary than it once was.

This is not to discourage you from learning whatever you may wish to learn about JAWS scripting, but it's not a silver bullet and panacea for all accessibility issues.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

    ~ William Plomer


moderated Re: how do you underline a word?

Panagiotis Antonopoulos
 

Hi Brian/all,

I have often found that when I block a chunk of text and hit say control-u, that is underlined, while continuing to type means it is no longer underlined. However, I use the highlighting option in jaws to verify, as much as I can, the situation. If I am not satisfied, I check the attributes.

                                                            Hope this helps,

                                                            Takis

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 6:58 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: how do you underline a word?

 

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 04:40 AM, Panagiotis Antonopoulos wrote:

The way I do it is, after finishing with the underlined or bolded text, I hit control-u once again. Jaws should say “underline off”.

-
That works if you hit CTRL + U, type the text you want underlined then hit CTRL + U again when you reach the end of that text.

But a lot of people (including me), for whatever reason, don't do our formatting "in real time," which is what you are doing when you use that technique.  With sighted people such as myself I think much of that comes from the fact that very few know most of the keyboard shortcuts to do anything and having to take your hands away from the keyboard, mid-sentence and mid-thought, to tweak the formatting often breaks your train of thought.  It's a very quick thing to toggle via keyboard command while typing if you know how to do that.

I say this because I have seen people select a word or chunk of text, hit CTRL + U to underline it, but then forget to either deselect it or throw focus elsewhere before hitting CTRL + U again.  So long as a given chunk of text remains selected, any of the formatting commands will act as a toggle, so if you're not careful you could undo the formatting you just did.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

    ~ William Plomer


moderated Re: Outlook 365 Question

Curtis Chong
 

Greetings:

 

There is one important distinction that people should keep in mind here. On a personal Outlook account, we are likely to use Contacts as our folder for storing names, addresses, and emails. But if we bring up the Contacts by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+B, which is the way we bring up the Address Book, only names with an email address associated with them are displayed. Names without an email will not be shown unless one goes directly to the Contacts folder which, by default, uses the Business Card view to display information. I prefer to create a customized view which shows only the full name and the email address.

 

With best regards,

 

Curtis Chong

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 8:22 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Outlook 365 Question

 

When using Outlook 365 in a business context, the Address Book is   where the company directory is and the Contacts are your manual additions.  I’ve never explored this on my personal copy of Outlook, so I’m interested to explore what others have noted. 

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Thomas N. Chan
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 11:43 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Outlook 365 Question

 

WARNING: This email originated externally. Exercise caution. Think before clicking links or opening attachments.

 

Technically, no different. than just an address book.

but contacts are way more comprehensive.

you can sort or have contacts or people in an address book sorted or put into a folder call family, you can have another call office, another folder call maybe friends. 

it's more sorted and organized than one bulk address book with all your contacts with different fields in them.


Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

 

 

On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 at 23:16, Mark Arnold ABG <markarnold.abg@...> wrote:

List,

 

I am having difficulty with the concept of Address book and Contacts.  Is there a discernable difference or are they synonymous?

 

Thanks in advance,

Mark

 



KeyCorp Public

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.


moderated Re: Outlook 365 Question

Van Lant, Robin
 

When using Outlook 365 in a business context, the Address Book is   where the company directory is and the Contacts are your manual additions.  I’ve never explored this on my personal copy of Outlook, so I’m interested to explore what others have noted. 

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Thomas N. Chan
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 11:43 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Outlook 365 Question

 

WARNING: This email originated externally. Exercise caution. Think before clicking links or opening attachments.

 

Technically, no different. than just an address book.

but contacts are way more comprehensive.

you can sort or have contacts or people in an address book sorted or put into a folder call family, you can have another call office, another folder call maybe friends. 

it's more sorted and organized than one bulk address book with all your contacts with different fields in them.


Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

 

 

On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 at 23:16, Mark Arnold ABG <markarnold.abg@...> wrote:

List,

 

I am having difficulty with the concept of Address book and Contacts.  Is there a discernable difference or are they synonymous?

 

Thanks in advance,

Mark

 



KeyCorp Public

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.


moderated Re: temporary increasing or decreasing verbosity

Mark
 

Thanks Ben. I'm trying it now


moderated nfl live

Justin Williams
 

Is there a way to catch the nfl live on internet, where I can see any game I would like too?

 

Thanks,

 

Justin

 

 


moderated Re: temporary increasing or decreasing verbosity

Ben Moxey
 

Hey everyone

 

Mark, you can cycle the punctuation level for the active speech profile in JAWS 2021 and beyond by pressing the JAWS key + Shift + 2 (on the number row). Of course, it will revert to your default when you restart JAWS, unless you make changes in Settings Centre.

 

Cheers

 

Ben

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Monday, 11 October 2021 5:53 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: temporary increasing or decreasing verbosity

 

Yep would be good.  Even better would be if you could customise the High, Medium and Low, then save them to different names.

 

All the best


Steve

 

All the best


Steve

 

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

 

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark
Sent: 09 October 2021 12:29
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: temporary increasing or decreasing verbosity

 

Steve, the approach you describe is faster for changing user verbosity than going through the Quick Settings.  Thank you. Punctuation changes didn't get remembered, though.  I wonder if it be nice to have verbosity profiles, like voice profiles or speech and sound schemes?


moderated Re: window or mac

 

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 03:28 PM, Marianne Denning wrote:
There is really a big difference between VO on your iPhone and VO on a Mac. I thought it was learning to use a text to speech system all over.
-
And, in addition, there is a really big difference between iOS, and its touch interface, and MacOS, even if you have a touch enabled Mac.

I thank you for confirming, from firsthand experience, what I was attempting to communicate earlier.  No iPhone user should delude themselves into thinking that a Mac is just an iPhone that sits on a desk, and vice versa.

The learning curve for any new OS is shallow, lengthy, and laborious.  You can certainly learn "the basics" pretty quickly, but you always get caught out because something you thought was not a basic, but that was already on "full automatic" mode for you in your familiar ecosystem, has to be learned again.  Operating systems are much like onions in that you really don't realize how many layers you've already peeled within an ecosystem you're familiar with and how long it takes to have equal ease and proficiency when you switch.  It's not a decision to be taken lightly, no matter the direction in which jumping is being considered.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

    ~ William Plomer


moderated Re: window or mac

Marianne Denning
 

I tried to learn to use VO on a Mac and gave up. I really prefer to use Windows and JAWS. I know that  is because I learned JAWS first. There is really a big difference between VO on your iPhone and VO on a Mac. I thought it was learning to use a text to speech system all over.

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Judy
Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 9:06 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: window or mac

 

Brian,  I understand your point, but this is my question. Lots of us have iPhones and use windows. Since I am so used to doing a lot on my iPhone, since it is the same OS as a Mac computer, how much more is there to learn? Yes, keystrokes are different but outside of that, why would it be so hard?  Judy & Libby

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 6:14 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: window or mac

 

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 05:37 PM, Richard Turner wrote:

If you already know one system; I'd stick with that system.

They are quite different, and unlearning one to switch to another is a lot of work.

-
Amen!  Amen!!  Amen!!!

And this is without regard to visual status.  It is always a non-trivial undertaking to learn a new operating system, be it Windows, Linux, or MacOS when you are already well versed in one of those.  And it's insanely frustrating, not that it cannot be done, because so much of what you do under any operating system becomes so familiar as to be almost like breathing.  When, suddenly, almost everything you have been doing for years on autopilot requires thought, and involves making mistakes as part of the process, it's just plain frustrating

If you have a good reason for switching, then go for it.  And there can be good reasons.  But if you don't already know what a good reason would be, then you don't have one.  Avoid needless pain.

At this point both Windows and MacOS are very accessible.  And the advent of a real screen reader in the form of Narrator, that's still being improved constantly, as a part of Windows takes away a favoring of MacOS because VoiceOver is built-in.  And even if Narrator weren't there, NVDA cannot be discounted as a full-functioning, free (though donations are strongly encouraged for those who can afford them) screen reader for Windows.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

    ~ William Plomer


moderated Re: temporary increasing or decreasing verbosity

Steve Nutt
 

Yep would be good.  Even better would be if you could customise the High, Medium and Low, then save them to different names.

 

All the best


Steve

 

All the best


Steve

 

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

 

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark
Sent: 09 October 2021 12:29
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: temporary increasing or decreasing verbosity

 

Steve, the approach you describe is faster for changing user verbosity than going through the Quick Settings.  Thank you. Punctuation changes didn't get remembered, though.  I wonder if it be nice to have verbosity profiles, like voice profiles or speech and sound schemes?


moderated Re: window or mac

Jim Weiss <jimweiss72@...>
 

Judy,
Text edit is more close to WordPad, it is fairly rich and what it can do.



On Oct 10, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Judy <bunchkinbear@...> wrote:



Leo, since I’ve retired I haven’t had to use Microsoft Word, and if I have to write a note, list etc I just use Notepad. It’s easy and I can edit it without all the bells and whistles of Word. Does the Mac have a similar thing to Notepad? Thanks. Judy & Libby

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Leo
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 10:03 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: window or mac

 

HI, Windows 11 and Big Sur user here! My piece of advice, if you like to learn new things, just take the plunge, the learning curve was not Herculean labor for me because in trying new gadgets and apps, I am Indiana Jones, lol.  Bear in mind that you will be facing not only new commands but also a new concept on how to understand an ecosystem. You will know in a day or two  if you made the right choice because either you will dream about yourself sitting in front of your Mac or you will go psychotic. Drawing on my own experience, I can tell you that personally the only case I wouldn’t recommend a Mac computer to a Windows PC user is if the person is a heavy user of Microsoft Word. Let’s just say that text-processing is the downside for screen reader users in Mac, at least when it comes to be productive. Not that pages is not accessible, oh pages is so beautiful and accessible, but you don’t want to export every single document into a word document because it is time-consuming. Besides, most of the format will be lost, and using MS Word in Mac is like traveling to Colonial Williamsburg in a tripod.

 

 

Best,

     Leo Bado.

 

"It seems to me that I will always be happy in the place where I am not." Paul Auster. "City of Glass"

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Judy
Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 7:06 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: window or mac

 

Brian,  I understand your point, but this is my question. Lots of us have iPhones and use windows. Since I am so used to doing a lot on my iPhone, since it is the same OS as a Mac computer, how much more is there to learn? Yes, keystrokes are different but outside of that, why would it be so hard?  Judy & Libby

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 6:14 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: window or mac

 

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 05:37 PM, Richard Turner wrote:

If you already know one system; I'd stick with that system.

They are quite different, and unlearning one to switch to another is a lot of work.

-
Amen!  Amen!!  Amen!!!

And this is without regard to visual status.  It is always a non-trivial undertaking to learn a new operating system, be it Windows, Linux, or MacOS when you are already well versed in one of those.  And it's insanely frustrating, not that it cannot be done, because so much of what you do under any operating system becomes so familiar as to be almost like breathing.  When, suddenly, almost everything you have been doing for years on autopilot requires thought, and involves making mistakes as part of the process, it's just plain frustrating

If you have a good reason for switching, then go for it.  And there can be good reasons.  But if you don't already know what a good reason would be, then you don't have one.  Avoid needless pain.

At this point both Windows and MacOS are very accessible.  And the advent of a real screen reader in the form of Narrator, that's still being improved constantly, as a part of Windows takes away a favoring of MacOS because VoiceOver is built-in.  And even if Narrator weren't there, NVDA cannot be discounted as a full-functioning, free (though donations are strongly encouraged for those who can afford them) screen reader for Windows.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

    ~ William Plomer


moderated Re: window or mac

Leo
 

Yes, absolutely. It is called text Edit, and as you have pointed out, this is what most people use to jot down something quickly.

 

Best,

     Leo Bado.

 

"It seems to me that I will always be happy in the place where I am not." Paul Auster. "City of Glass"

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Judy
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 11:53 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: window or mac

 

Leo, since I’ve retired I haven’t had to use Microsoft Word, and if I have to write a note, list etc I just use Notepad. It’s easy and I can edit it without all the bells and whistles of Word. Does the Mac have a similar thing to Notepad? Thanks. Judy & Libby

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Leo
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 10:03 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: window or mac

 

HI, Windows 11 and Big Sur user here! My piece of advice, if you like to learn new things, just take the plunge, the learning curve was not Herculean labor for me because in trying new gadgets and apps, I am Indiana Jones, lol.  Bear in mind that you will be facing not only new commands but also a new concept on how to understand an ecosystem. You will know in a day or two  if you made the right choice because either you will dream about yourself sitting in front of your Mac or you will go psychotic. Drawing on my own experience, I can tell you that personally the only case I wouldn’t recommend a Mac computer to a Windows PC user is if the person is a heavy user of Microsoft Word. Let’s just say that text-processing is the downside for screen reader users in Mac, at least when it comes to be productive. Not that pages is not accessible, oh pages is so beautiful and accessible, but you don’t want to export every single document into a word document because it is time-consuming. Besides, most of the format will be lost, and using MS Word in Mac is like traveling to Colonial Williamsburg in a tripod.

 

 

Best,

     Leo Bado.

 

"It seems to me that I will always be happy in the place where I am not." Paul Auster. "City of Glass"

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Judy
Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 7:06 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: window or mac

 

Brian,  I understand your point, but this is my question. Lots of us have iPhones and use windows. Since I am so used to doing a lot on my iPhone, since it is the same OS as a Mac computer, how much more is there to learn? Yes, keystrokes are different but outside of that, why would it be so hard?  Judy & Libby

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 6:14 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: window or mac

 

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 05:37 PM, Richard Turner wrote:

If you already know one system; I'd stick with that system.

They are quite different, and unlearning one to switch to another is a lot of work.

-
Amen!  Amen!!  Amen!!!

And this is without regard to visual status.  It is always a non-trivial undertaking to learn a new operating system, be it Windows, Linux, or MacOS when you are already well versed in one of those.  And it's insanely frustrating, not that it cannot be done, because so much of what you do under any operating system becomes so familiar as to be almost like breathing.  When, suddenly, almost everything you have been doing for years on autopilot requires thought, and involves making mistakes as part of the process, it's just plain frustrating

If you have a good reason for switching, then go for it.  And there can be good reasons.  But if you don't already know what a good reason would be, then you don't have one.  Avoid needless pain.

At this point both Windows and MacOS are very accessible.  And the advent of a real screen reader in the form of Narrator, that's still being improved constantly, as a part of Windows takes away a favoring of MacOS because VoiceOver is built-in.  And even if Narrator weren't there, NVDA cannot be discounted as a full-functioning, free (though donations are strongly encouraged for those who can afford them) screen reader for Windows.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

    ~ William Plomer


moderated Re: window or mac

Judy
 

Leo, since I’ve retired I haven’t had to use Microsoft Word, and if I have to write a note, list etc I just use Notepad. It’s easy and I can edit it without all the bells and whistles of Word. Does the Mac have a similar thing to Notepad? Thanks. Judy & Libby

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Leo
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 10:03 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: window or mac

 

HI, Windows 11 and Big Sur user here! My piece of advice, if you like to learn new things, just take the plunge, the learning curve was not Herculean labor for me because in trying new gadgets and apps, I am Indiana Jones, lol.  Bear in mind that you will be facing not only new commands but also a new concept on how to understand an ecosystem. You will know in a day or two  if you made the right choice because either you will dream about yourself sitting in front of your Mac or you will go psychotic. Drawing on my own experience, I can tell you that personally the only case I wouldn’t recommend a Mac computer to a Windows PC user is if the person is a heavy user of Microsoft Word. Let’s just say that text-processing is the downside for screen reader users in Mac, at least when it comes to be productive. Not that pages is not accessible, oh pages is so beautiful and accessible, but you don’t want to export every single document into a word document because it is time-consuming. Besides, most of the format will be lost, and using MS Word in Mac is like traveling to Colonial Williamsburg in a tripod.

 

 

Best,

     Leo Bado.

 

"It seems to me that I will always be happy in the place where I am not." Paul Auster. "City of Glass"

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Judy
Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 7:06 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: window or mac

 

Brian,  I understand your point, but this is my question. Lots of us have iPhones and use windows. Since I am so used to doing a lot on my iPhone, since it is the same OS as a Mac computer, how much more is there to learn? Yes, keystrokes are different but outside of that, why would it be so hard?  Judy & Libby

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 6:14 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: window or mac

 

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 05:37 PM, Richard Turner wrote:

If you already know one system; I'd stick with that system.

They are quite different, and unlearning one to switch to another is a lot of work.

-
Amen!  Amen!!  Amen!!!

And this is without regard to visual status.  It is always a non-trivial undertaking to learn a new operating system, be it Windows, Linux, or MacOS when you are already well versed in one of those.  And it's insanely frustrating, not that it cannot be done, because so much of what you do under any operating system becomes so familiar as to be almost like breathing.  When, suddenly, almost everything you have been doing for years on autopilot requires thought, and involves making mistakes as part of the process, it's just plain frustrating

If you have a good reason for switching, then go for it.  And there can be good reasons.  But if you don't already know what a good reason would be, then you don't have one.  Avoid needless pain.

At this point both Windows and MacOS are very accessible.  And the advent of a real screen reader in the form of Narrator, that's still being improved constantly, as a part of Windows takes away a favoring of MacOS because VoiceOver is built-in.  And even if Narrator weren't there, NVDA cannot be discounted as a full-functioning, free (though donations are strongly encouraged for those who can afford them) screen reader for Windows.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

    ~ William Plomer


moderated Re: Outlook 365 Question

Madison Martin
 

How do you create these folders?

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Thomas N. Chan
Sent: October 10, 2021 12:43 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Outlook 365 Question

 

Technically, no different. than just an address book.

but contacts are way more comprehensive.

you can sort or have contacts or people in an address book sorted or put into a folder call family, you can have another call office, another folder call maybe friends. 

it's more sorted and organized than one bulk address book with all your contacts with different fields in them.


Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

 

 

On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 at 23:16, Mark Arnold ABG <markarnold.abg@...> wrote:

List,

 

I am having difficulty with the concept of Address book and Contacts.  Is there a discernable difference or are they synonymous?

 

Thanks in advance,

Mark

 


moderated Re: Outlook 365 Question

Thomas N. Chan <thomas.nchan@...>
 

Technically, no different. than just an address book.
but contacts are way more comprehensive.
you can sort or have contacts or people in an address book sorted or put into a folder call family, you can have another call office, another folder call maybe friends. 
it's more sorted and organized than one bulk address book with all your contacts with different fields in them.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan


On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 at 23:16, Mark Arnold ABG <markarnold.abg@...> wrote:

List,

 

I am having difficulty with the concept of Address book and Contacts.  Is there a discernable difference or are they synonymous?

 

Thanks in advance,

Mark

 


moderated Re: Email Group in Office 365

David Kingsbury
 

Hi,

In my Outlook 365, creating a new contact group does not appear in my context menu. But doing it via the ribbons works. Get into contacts and open up the ribbons. You land on the Home tab. Tab twice into the lower ribbon and you will find new contact group here. That said, I prefer making an email list in Excel and copying and pasting these addresses into the To or BCC fields. It is much easier to add and delete addresses from a list created in Excel than from a contact group created in Outlook.

David


moderated Re: strange problem when opening pdf files

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>
 

If by normally, you mean in Acrobat Reader, you need to go into the program default settings and set PDF’s to Acrobat.

Or, if you have a PDF on your computer, put focus on it, use the Applications key, or shift+f10, arrow down to Open With, and hit enter, then arrow to Adobe Acrobat, and tab to Always use this app to open PDF’s and check it and tab to OK and hit enter.

That should change the default to Adobe Acrobat, but if not, the Program Default settings by file type should solve it.

 

 

 

Richard

“Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it.” – Jane Wagner

 

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of John J. Fioravanti, Jr.
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 9:17 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: strange problem when opening pdf files

 

Good morning: In the past few days, when opening a pdf file on my laptop, it opens in Google Chrome and goes through the typical options when opening a pdf file while in Google Chrome, giving me options to print, download etc. How can I prevent this from happening so that the pdf file simply opens normally.

I don't know if the fact that I'm using Jaws 19, has anything to do with it, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Thanks.  

5661 - 5680 of 98449