Date   

Re: Navigating Entries In An E-mail Group List

Jason White
 

Using the latest Microsoft Outlook from Office 365 (under Windows 10, JAWS 2019 with latest update), if I access a contact group inside the Address Book, up/down arrow keys move the focus between the names of group members. The braille display is updated as I move the focus, but nothing is spoken. Pressing Insert+numpad-up-arrow speaks the currently focused list entry, however.

 

I suspect it’s a JAWS bug, since the braille output is properly tracking the focus. I’m not sure whether that’s the same interface which Brian was testing, though.

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 10:22 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Navigating Entries In An E-mail Group List

 

I wonder if there is a bug in Outlook 2016, or possibly JAWS (and NVDA, too).

When I open a Contact Group, whether with a screen reader on or not, I can easily navigate through each and every member with the up and down arrow buttons.  The difference being that the screen reader is not tracking that movement up and down through the list at all corresponding to where Outlook itself has focus at that moment, which is odd.

I cannot imagine this behavior is intentional, and since it's occurring in NVDA, and it sounds like the same thing is happening in JAWS, I wonder if Outlook 2016 is somehow not exposing the fact that you've changed focus from one row/member to another in the list of members of a Contact Group.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

   Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

         ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore


Re: adding a sound in jaws dictionary

Richard Turner
 

Try:
"C:\ProgramData\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\2019\SETTINGS\enu\SOUNDS"

Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of mike mcglashon
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2019 6:40 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: adding a sound in jaws dictionary

OK
I am using josh’s 2019 in the latest update.
Therefore, when I go into the dictionary and select the sound it doesn’t show me the folder path.
So knowing that I’m using jars 2019 the latest build, How do I determine what that path is, whether it’s shared or users?


contact information
Mike McGlashon
PH: 618-783-9331
Email: michael.mcglashon@comcast.net


On Mar 28, 2019, at 9:37 AM, Mario <mrb620@hotmail.com> wrote:

my educated guess is that the sounds come from either the user sounds
folder or the shared sounds folder. the path to these folders may
differ in respect to what version of JAWS you're using.

and I think you can just add the sounds you want to use as long as
they are in the .wav format. and modifying existing ones shouldn't
present a problem.

-------- Original Message --------
From: mike mcglashon [mailto:michael.mcglashon@comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2019, 7:03 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: adding a sound in jaws dictionary

Hey guys:

How does one find the folder that stores the available sounds to
choose when adding a sound to a jaws dictionary entry?

I’d like to either add more sounds to the list of sounds available,
or,

Alternatively, Go into that folder and modify a “wav” file to make a
better quality sound for the dictionary entery?

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@comcast.net
<mailto:Michael.mcglashon@comcast.net>

Ph: 618 783 9331






Re: adding a sound in jaws dictionary

mike mcglashon
 

OK
I am using josh’s 2019 in the latest update.
Therefore, when I go into the dictionary and select the sound it doesn’t show me the folder path.
So knowing that I’m using jars 2019 the latest build,
How do I determine what that path is, whether it’s shared or users?


contact information
Mike McGlashon
PH: 618-783-9331
Email: michael.mcglashon@comcast.net

On Mar 28, 2019, at 9:37 AM, Mario <mrb620@hotmail.com> wrote:

my educated guess is that the sounds come from either the user sounds
folder or the shared sounds folder. the path to these folders may differ
in respect to what version of JAWS you're using.

and I think you can just add the sounds you want to use as long as they
are in the .wav format. and modifying existing ones shouldn't present a
problem.

-------- Original Message --------
From: mike mcglashon [mailto:michael.mcglashon@comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2019, 7:03 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: adding a sound in jaws dictionary

Hey guys:

How does one find the folder that stores the available sounds to choose
when adding a sound to a jaws dictionary entry?

I’d like to either add more sounds to the list of sounds available, or,

Alternatively, Go into that folder and modify a “wav” file to make a
better quality sound for the dictionary entery?

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@comcast.net <mailto:Michael.mcglashon@comcast.net>

Ph: 618 783 9331






Re: adding a sound in jaws dictionary

Mario
 

my educated guess is that the sounds come from either the user sounds
folder or the shared sounds folder. the path to these folders may differ
in respect to what version of JAWS you're using.

and I think you can just add the sounds you want to use as long as they
are in the .wav format. and modifying existing ones shouldn't present a
problem.

-------- Original Message --------
From: mike mcglashon [mailto:michael.mcglashon@comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2019, 7:03 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: adding a sound in jaws dictionary

Hey guys:

How does one find the folder that stores the available sounds to choose
when adding a sound to a jaws dictionary entry?

I’d like to either add more sounds to the list of sounds available, or,

Alternatively, Go into that folder and modify a “wav” file to make a
better quality sound for the dictionary entery?

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@comcast.net <mailto:Michael.mcglashon@comcast.net>

Ph: 618 783 9331


adding a sound in jaws dictionary

mike mcglashon
 

Hey guys:

How does one find the folder that stores the available sounds to choose when adding a sound to a jaws dictionary entry?

I’d like to either add more sounds to the list of sounds available, or,

Alternatively, Go into that folder and modify a “wav” file to make a better quality sound for the dictionary entery?

 

 

Please advise as you like.

 

Mike M.

 

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

Ph: 618 783 9331

 


Re: Internet Explorer support life cycle from Microsoft

Richard Turner
 


Michael,
Yes, with some screen readers.
There are several features in Jaws that are not yet supported in Edge.
Try setting a place marker.
Richard
'-

The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." -- Alice Walker



On Mar 27, 2019, at 8:44 PM, Michal Nowicki <mnowicki.transactional@...> wrote:

Edge is now accessible with screen readers.


On Mar 25, 2019, at 8:17 AM, Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:

That is good to know.  I wonder if that is because Edge is not yet as accessible with a screen reader and the Federal government has to follow, or appear to follow, the accessibility guidelines.

 

Richard

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lee, Amanda * via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2019 6:00 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Internet Explorer support life cycle from Microsoft

 

FYI:

The US Federal Government Agency which I perform contract work for, has locked out Microsoft Edge for Windows 10.  Internet Explorer is still preferred along with Google Chrome and Firefox.

 

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2019 1:04 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Internet Explorer support life cycle from Microsoft

 

FYI.  The link to the full page is at the end.

NOTE: This FAQ was updated on January 30, 2019. 

 

What is the Lifecycle Policy for Internet Explorer?

Internet Explorer is a component of the Windows operating system and follows the Lifecycle Policy for the product on which it is installed. A component is defined as a set of files or features that are included with a Microsoft product, whether it is shipped with the product, included in a product service pack or update, or later made available as a web download for the product.

The Microsoft Lifecycle policy continues to provide a minimum of five years of Mainstream Support and a minimum of five years of Extended Support for Business and Developer products, and the Windows operating system.

Compared with older versions of Internet Explorer, Internet Explorer 11 offers improved security, increased performance, better backward compatibility, and greater support for modern web technologies. Microsoft encourages customers to upgrade and stay current with the latest browser for a faster, more secure browsing experience.

Beginning January 12, 2016, only the most current version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system receives technical support and security updates, as shown in the following table:

 Windows Desktop Operating Systems

 Internet Explorer Version

 Windows Vista SP2 *

 Internet Explorer 9

 Windows 7 SP1

 Internet Explorer 11

 Windows 8.1 Update

 Internet Explorer 11

 Windows 10**

 Internet Explorer 11

*Windows Vista SP2 reached end of support on January 12, 2016. 

**Windows 10 features Microsoft Edge. Microsoft recommends using Microsoft Edge as your default browser and supports Internet Explorer 11 for backward compatibility. 

 

 

from

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17454/lifecycle-faq-internet-explorer

 

Richard

 

 


Re: Internet Explorer support life cycle from Microsoft

Michal Nowicki
 

Edge is now accessible with screen readers.


On Mar 25, 2019, at 8:17 AM, Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:

That is good to know.  I wonder if that is because Edge is not yet as accessible with a screen reader and the Federal government has to follow, or appear to follow, the accessibility guidelines.

 

Richard

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lee, Amanda * via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2019 6:00 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Internet Explorer support life cycle from Microsoft

 

FYI:

The US Federal Government Agency which I perform contract work for, has locked out Microsoft Edge for Windows 10.  Internet Explorer is still preferred along with Google Chrome and Firefox.

 

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2019 1:04 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Internet Explorer support life cycle from Microsoft

 

FYI.  The link to the full page is at the end.

NOTE: This FAQ was updated on January 30, 2019. 

 

What is the Lifecycle Policy for Internet Explorer?

Internet Explorer is a component of the Windows operating system and follows the Lifecycle Policy for the product on which it is installed. A component is defined as a set of files or features that are included with a Microsoft product, whether it is shipped with the product, included in a product service pack or update, or later made available as a web download for the product.

The Microsoft Lifecycle policy continues to provide a minimum of five years of Mainstream Support and a minimum of five years of Extended Support for Business and Developer products, and the Windows operating system.

Compared with older versions of Internet Explorer, Internet Explorer 11 offers improved security, increased performance, better backward compatibility, and greater support for modern web technologies. Microsoft encourages customers to upgrade and stay current with the latest browser for a faster, more secure browsing experience.

Beginning January 12, 2016, only the most current version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system receives technical support and security updates, as shown in the following table:

 Windows Desktop Operating Systems

 Internet Explorer Version

 Windows Vista SP2 *

 Internet Explorer 9

 Windows 7 SP1

 Internet Explorer 11

 Windows 8.1 Update

 Internet Explorer 11

 Windows 10**

 Internet Explorer 11

*Windows Vista SP2 reached end of support on January 12, 2016. 

**Windows 10 features Microsoft Edge. Microsoft recommends using Microsoft Edge as your default browser and supports Internet Explorer 11 for backward compatibility. 

 

 

from

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17454/lifecycle-faq-internet-explorer

 

Richard

 

 


Re: Another Outlook E-mail Group Question

 

Tom,
 
       Just as an idea, you might want to consider maintaining your lists external to Outlook itself.  You can export and import contact lists to Excel CSV format, and it might be easier to make changes to the Excel file, delete the existing list in Outlook, and import the revisions.  I have not tried this end-to-end but it should be simple enough to do a test case to see if it's viable.  I did export just a Contact Group this afternoon, and the initial text file could be edited, too, but since the fields are tab separated there's a much higher risk for screwing things up, so doing the conversion to Excel makes things a bit more foolproof.
 
       See:  https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Export-contacts-from-Outlook-10f09abd-643c-4495-bb80-543714eca73f
 
       Contact Groups are, in actuality, a view of existing contacts, not a separate copy of those contacts.  I'm not quite sure how one can relocate them, at least not without additional details.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

   Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

         ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore


Another Outlook E-mail Group Question

Tom Behler
 

Hello, everyone.

 

In light of the problems I am having with regard to effectively navigating and editing an e-mail group, I got some assistance, and have now created the group I need.

 

However, in creating the group, the group accidentally got saved to the wrong Outlook contacts folder.

 

Does anyone know how to move an e-mail group from one contacts folder to another?

 

I have tried the standard copy and paste method, but have been unsuccessful thus far.

 

Any help would be appreciated.

 

On a related note, I’m going to call Freedom Scientific and possibly the Microsoft Accessibility Hotline about the ongoing problem with navigating e-mail group lists with Jaws, and will let the list  know if I find out anything of major importance.

 

Once again, for the record, I’m using Windows 10, Outlook 2016, and the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

 

Thanks, all!

 

Tom Behler

 

 

 


Re: Navigating Entries In An E-mail Group List

Tom Behler
 

I hear you, Brian.

 

I’ll try to give them a call tomorrow.

 

If I find out  anything definitive, I’ll post to the list.

 

Tom Behler

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 12:02 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Navigating Entries In An E-mail Group List

 

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 11:44 AM, Tom Behler wrote:

So, I suspect that calling FS won’t do much good, other than to reinforce the existence of the problem?

It never hurts to cage rattle, though.

As I've often said, with issues like this "the fault" generally lies with the screen reader or the software it's being used with, but seldom both.  From what I've been able to dig up my gut is telling me it's "an Outlook side" issue, and so FS really can't fix it.

Still, MS has shown significantly more interest in accessibility issues in general over the last few years, and the screen reader developers have direct contact with Microsoft's developers.  Sometimes trying to raise the visibility of an "old problem" can make it new-ish again.  It certainly won't hurt.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

   Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

         ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore


Re: remote access

 

Remote Desktop allows you to connect to your computer provided you know your home computer’s IP address.

You probably also have to set up port forwarding in your router to allow the connection and of course you have to make sure Remote Desktop is enabled for the computer you want to connect to.

If you don’t have a fixed IP address which for a home connection is likely you would have to set up something called a “dynamic DNS” which allows you to set up an easy to remember name and if your IP address changes the service will automatically update this so that the name you set up still works, below is a website with more information:

 

https://dyn.com/dns/dyndns-pro-free-trial/

 

Lastly, if you use Jaws you may have to contact Vispero, I think Remote Desktop may not be something which works with a basic Jaws license, if I go to Jaws > About it says the following in addition to the version information etc.:

 

Upgrades Remaining: 2

Remote Access: Enabled

Tandem Direct: Disabled

 

Regards,

Sieghard

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Juan Hernandez
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 8:53 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: remote access

 

HI All,

 

I work from home a bit.  I wanted to know if I am at work on my work computer is there a way I can access my home computer?  What would be a good accessible solution?

 

Best,

 

 


Re: Navigating Entries In An E-mail Group List

 

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 11:44 AM, Tom Behler wrote:
So, I suspect that calling FS won’t do much good, other than to reinforce the existence of the problem?
It never hurts to cage rattle, though.

As I've often said, with issues like this "the fault" generally lies with the screen reader or the software it's being used with, but seldom both.  From what I've been able to dig up my gut is telling me it's "an Outlook side" issue, and so FS really can't fix it.

Still, MS has shown significantly more interest in accessibility issues in general over the last few years, and the screen reader developers have direct contact with Microsoft's developers.  Sometimes trying to raise the visibility of an "old problem" can make it new-ish again.  It certainly won't hurt.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

   Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

         ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore


remote access

Juan Hernandez
 

HI All,

 

I work from home a bit.  I wanted to know if I am at work on my work computer is there a way I can access my home computer?  What would be a good accessible solution?

 

Best,

 

 


Re: Navigating Entries In An E-mail Group List

Tom Behler
 

So, I suspect that calling FS won’t do much good, other than to reinforce the existence of the problem?

 

Very disappointing!

 

Tom Behler

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 11:27 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Navigating Entries In An E-mail Group List

 

As a quick follow-up, this appears to be an issue of very longstanding.  There has been an issue open for NVDA (which describes exactly the same issue that's reported here, and actually includes a note that it happens under JAWS, too), that was opened all the way back in 2012.

This has been haunting screen readers through multiple Outlook versions going as far back as Outlook 2007.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

   Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

         ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore


Re: Navigating Entries In An E-mail Group List

 

As a quick follow-up, this appears to be an issue of very longstanding.  There has been an issue open for NVDA (which describes exactly the same issue that's reported here, and actually includes a note that it happens under JAWS, too), that was opened all the way back in 2012.

This has been haunting screen readers through multiple Outlook versions going as far back as Outlook 2007.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

   Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

         ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore


Re: changing a file extension

 

I assume these  instructions should work except for the part where they talk about playing the new ringtone and that this would move it to the tones folder or something like that and that you then have to simply sync your iPhone in order to transfer it.

In the current version of iTunes you would have to copy the song to the clipboard (I am talking about Windows), then connect  your iPhone to the computer and in iTunes open the iPhone section. Now in the treeview go to Tones, then tab into the Tones list and simply paste the song here with Control+V, it will instantly and automatically sync to your phone.

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 6:20 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: changing a file extension

 

See if this still works:  https://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/05/16/how-to-create-ringtones-in-itunes/

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

   Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

         ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore


Re: changing a file extension

Jessica D
 

Hi,
Thanks so much! 
The steps outlined in that article worked. 

Thanks,
Jessica 



On Mar 27, 2019, at 9:20 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

See if this still works:  https://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/05/16/how-to-create-ringtones-in-itunes/

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

   Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

         ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore


Re: Navigating Entries In An E-mail Group List

 

I wonder if there is a bug in Outlook 2016, or possibly JAWS (and NVDA, too).

When I open a Contact Group, whether with a screen reader on or not, I can easily navigate through each and every member with the up and down arrow buttons.  The difference being that the screen reader is not tracking that movement up and down through the list at all corresponding to where Outlook itself has focus at that moment, which is odd.

I cannot imagine this behavior is intentional, and since it's occurring in NVDA, and it sounds like the same thing is happening in JAWS, I wonder if Outlook 2016 is somehow not exposing the fact that you've changed focus from one row/member to another in the list of members of a Contact Group.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

   Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

         ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore


Re: changing a file extension

 

See if this still works:  https://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/05/16/how-to-create-ringtones-in-itunes/

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

   Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

         ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore


Re: changing a file extension

Richard Turner
 


If it is in m4a format and is less than 40 seconds in length, you could change the extension to m4r.
If it is any other format, you will have to use conversion software.
Do a web search for whatever format it is to m4a.
I do not know if you can still change things within iTunes.
Richard


The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." -- Alice Walker



On Mar 27, 2019, at 5:53 AM, Jessica D <jldail13@...> wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to create a ringtone from one of my songs, and realized its in the wrong format.
How can I convert it, using my computer with jaws2019,  and the latest version of itunes?

Thanks,
Jessica



18641 - 18660 of 86997