Date   

Re: Avast anti-virus program redux

Mário Navarro
 




Hi.
Yes, I have removed avast several times, and the tool has always removed everything from avast...
On my Windows 10, Narrator does not work in safe mode.
With narrator I could not remove Avast in safe mode.
does not work.
cheers.


Às 21:33 de 07/11/2018, Bill White escreveu:

Hi, Tom. My friend also had Avast antivirus, and used the tool to get rid of Avast. It says that it requires safe mode, but if you run it, it will still work, and will uninstall the antivirus program. Also, if using Windows 10, you can now go into safe mode with either Narrator or JAWS, and run programs in safe mode.

 

Bill White

 

billwhite92701@...

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of T. Civitello
Sent: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 8:32 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Avast anti-virus program redux

 

Unfortunately in my experience and according to  numerous messages on Jaws and tech lists this does not remove all traces of Avast. On my Win 7 computer I was never able to get rid of Avast until I had a complete reinstall of Win 7. Avast did have a free download of a program to get rid of what was left of a normal un install but it required going into safe mode.  Tom

 

From: Brian Vogel

Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2018 8:10 AM

Subject: Re: Avast anti-virus program redux

 

Uninstalling Avast is not in any way different than any other program.  Open Control Panel, Programs and Features, select the program you wish to uninstall from the list, then bring up the context menu and select Uninstall from it.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

  If you remove all the homosexuals and homosexual influences from what is generally regarded as American culture, you are pretty much left with Let's Make a Deal.

          ~ Fran Lebowitz


-- 
A acção pode nem sempre ser felicidade, mas não há felicidade sem acção...


Re: How to put a radio URL into a play list file, .?

Peter Tesar
 

I have found a web site that gives some of the BBC URL addresses.


http://www.suppertime.co.uk/blogmywiki/2015/04/updated-list-of-bbc-network-radio-urls/


I pasted each link into Notepad and saved it with the extension .m3u.

Now both Plextalk and Windows Media Player plays the broadcast for BBC1 thru BBC4.


Thanks  Peter T.


On 11/9/2018 10:11 AM, Mario wrote:
"I noticed that the .asx, .m3u and .pls files are text files containing 
a radio station URL. Perhaps these are called play list files."

yes, they are.

"... Is it as simple as copying and pasting the URL into Notepad and 
saving it as a .m3u file?"

yes, it is that simple, but I think the trick is to find out what the 
correct address should be to create a playlist or paste into the URL 
edit field, but as far as I know, that'll have to be provided by the 
broadcasting engineer/manager/director/administrator, in which case they 
will email you such a file if their method for streaming can support the 
use of PLS or M3U files. the M3U is the format that works in older media 
players and the PLS format is the format meant for modern 	players. . 
but modern players can play M3U playlists as well. and ASX is basically 
(dead) not used as it once was.

I'd also be interested to know if there is a way to find out what the 
correct address would be, not just for the BBC streams, but for any 
stream without having to ask the appropriate individuals.

-------- Original Message --------
From: Peter Tesar [mailto:ptesar@...]
Sent: Thu, Nov 8, 2018 9:34 PM EST
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: How to put a radio URL into a play list file, .?

Hello List,



I listen to Web radio on my Plextalk Linio. The .asx, .m3u and .pls
files were provided by Plextalk but, now the BBC files do not work.

A few years ago, the BBC announced a change to their streaming standard.
Can I create my own file to play on the Plextalk?

I have never intentionally played music on my computer, so I don’t know
much about Play Lists.

I noticed that the .asx, .m3u and .pls files are text files containing a
radio station URL. Perhaps these are called play list files.

How do I get the correct Web radio URL into these files? Is it as simple
as copying and pasting the URL into Notepad and saving it as a .m3u file?

Now I listen to the BBC online, using FireFox to go to this streaming site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_world_service

I copied the address and pasted it into Notepad and into the Windows
Media Player URL box.

Using Notepad I saved the file with the file extension .m3u

but, it won’t play.

I also pasted this URL into the Windows Media Player URL box.

I get this message:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The player might not support
the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress
the file.

The .asx file contains this URL:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio/bbc_london/

It no longer works.

I would like to listen to the BBC World Service on the PlexTalk.

I would appreciate some advice or Web page that would explain the
concepts of radio station addresses and how to create a file that will
play in the PlexTalk.

Thanks,

Peter T.











Lenovo Vantage tool

Maria Campbell
 

Are any of you using Lenovo laptops?  I don't find the Lenovo settings very accessible with JAWS.  Heck I can't even turn on the LV tool and wonder if I should.


--

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@gmail.com

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
~ Blaise Pascal ~


Re: Is there a reason to not upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

 

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 11:16 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
Of course it also depends whether you "upgrade" Windows 7 to Windows 10 or whether you install Windows 10 from scratch including deleting and repartitioning the hard drive, a completely new install will always result in a better running system.
Sieghard, while I can't disagree with you generally, I can specifically.  If you had someone who was assiduous in the "care and feeding" of their Windows 7 (or 8/8.1) system upgrades to Windows 10 are virtually indistinguishable from clean installs.   That being said, most people are far from assiduous about doing the housekeeping necessary to keep any Windows version really clean and uncluttered, and if the system is "well used" and already has issues with instability those tend to carry over.  Upgrading an unstable system tends to result in an unstable system afterward.

The above being said, I still suggest completely clean installs only as a last resort if an individual has years of user data files and installed software they'd like to preserve.  I have found that doing the normal Windows 7/8/8.1 upgrade, followed immediately by another using the same technique within Windows 10 itself (see this article:  Doing an In-place "Upgrade" to Reinstall Windows 10 Keeping Apps/Programs and User Files) and note that you do not need to turn off safe boot, that instruction is superfluous and a grand PITA) pretty much completely purges the current installation of Windows 10 (the upgraded one) and replaces it with a fresh copy.

Only if push comes to shove after having tried the above will I recommend Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10.
The grunt work involved in setting up a system with all its programs, add-ons/extensions, settings tweaks, etc., is terribly tedious so I try to do what I can to avoid it when that's possible.  If it isn't, however . . .
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

  If you remove all the homosexuals and homosexual influences from what is generally regarded as American culture, you are pretty much left with Let's Make a Deal.

          ~ Fran Lebowitz


Re: Copying Portions of a Web Page Preserving Elements

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>
 

Just make sure that, if you're using JAWS, that your Virtual Cursor is set to copy Full Screen Content, NOT Copy From Virtual Cursor. Copy from Virtual Cursor will give you only the text. It will not preserve formatting.

Bill White

billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Friday, November 9, 2018 8:34 AM
To: JFW
Subject: Copying Portions of a Web Page Preserving Elements

I frequently receive email messages with portions of Web pages copied
thereinto, complete with all elements--links, headings, other
controls--faithfully preserved, but I've plum forgotten how. Someone
please refresh my obviously in-need-of-refreshing memory cells, with my
grateful thanks in advance.


Re: anti-virus program recommendation

Mário Navarro
 

Hi.
Yes, maybe you're right.
But even with jaws, the PC gets slow...
JAWS is not destabilized, but the PC gets a little altered.

But it is also true that I have had some problems with jaws in this Asus.

With Nvda, everything gets much worse.
I have a good machine.

ASUS, 16 GB RAM, seventh generation Intel 7, with a 512GB SSD.
This shouldn't happen.
cheers.


Às 05:16 de 09/11/2018, Sieghard Weitzel escreveu:

That sounds like an NVDA issue, I use Jaws and never even know Windows Defender is there, it just works.


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mário Navarro
Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2018 12:17 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: anti-virus program recommendation





hi.

Every time Windows Defender works in backstage, Nvda gets Completely
destabilized and slow.
I hate the policies of Windows Defender.
Stupid thing...
cheers.


Às 00:56 de 08/11/2018, Jason White via Groups.Io escreveu:
I also use Windows Defender. In addition, I installed Microsoft's security configuration baseline for Windows 1809:
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/secguide/2018/10/01/security-baseline-draft-for-windows-10-v1809-and-windows-server-2019/

If you have a good backup just in case, and you're comfortable running PowerShell scripts, it should be fairly clear from Microsoft's instructions what to do. If you don't have that background, then I'd suggest having the installation done by someone who does.

The baseline configuration enables various Windows security features, including virtualization-based security, attack surface reduction rules, network protection (blocking of known malicious Web sites), tighter user permissions, stronger BitLocker encryption, prevention of users from writing to unencrypted USB drives, etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 10:53 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: anti-virus program recommendation

Just use Windows Defender

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Pearson
Sent: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 7:15 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: anti-virus program recommendation

Hello all:

Thank you for your feedback. Last question on topic: Are any of the recommendations(3, I think) free, or do they require some sort of paid subscription?

Truly yours,



David S. Pearson

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Longmore
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2018 9:47 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: anti-virus program recommendation

Windows Defender works well as does WebRoot although the WebRoot interface does not always cooperate.

Dan


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 9:07 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: anti-virus program recommendation

Malwarebytes. I trust all my machines to it.


On 11/6/2018 11:52 PM, David Pearson wrote:
Hello list:

Currently using "Avast" on my Dell Windows7 64 bit desktop machine.

Would like to swap the Avast for different program. Any
recommendations for something that will work well with Jaws?

Thank you,



David S. Pearson
















--
A acção pode nem sempre ser felicidade, mas não há felicidade sem acção...


Copying Portions of a Web Page Preserving Elements

Steve Matzura
 

I frequently receive email messages with portions of Web pages copied thereinto, complete with all elements--links, headings, other controls--faithfully preserved, but I've plum forgotten how. Someone please refresh my obviously in-need-of-refreshing memory cells,  with my grateful thanks in advance.


problem reading subject line on calendar

Kevin Meyers <kevinmeyers@...>
 

Hello,

 

I’m using Windows 1809 latest version, Jaws2018 and Outlook 2016. When I’m in the calendar I will tab through to each appointment/meeting. For some reason the subject line is not read. The date, time and location is read.

 

I installed Jaws18 and the subject line is read. Tells me I either need to change a setting in Jaws2018 or call VFO.

 

Any thoughts?

 

Cheers,

 

Kevin

 


Re: Is there a reason to not upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

Gerald Levy
 

 
Or for about $150,you could buy a refurbed Windows 10 computer from Computers for the Blind. And it even comes with JAWS 2019 already installed that is good for a whole year.
 
Gerald
 
 
 

From: Dave...
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2018 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: Is there a reason to not upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?
 
In my case, my Dell Latitude E6520 reported having hardware not compatible with Windows 10. So I stick with Windows 7 until a new computer falls out of the sky into my lap.
 
Dave
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer
 
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2018 07:50
Subject: Re: Is there a reason to not upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?
 

I have a refurbished computer that it was estimated ran windows 7 originally, now running windows 10. It does work, however, you could make and drink your coffee by the time JAWS loads up. It started with JAWS 18.  I now have a Mac Book pro that was built around 012.  It was converted to a windows 10 computer and it runs a lot faster. That is just my thoughts, yes a windows 7 can be upgraded to 10, you just might get frustrated with the slowness of the performance.    

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: November 9, 2018 3:04 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Is there a reason to not upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

 

I'm running Windows 10 on older machines--2012 older anyway--and it works just fine. I haven't had one single problem since upgrading in February, 2017.

 

On 11/8/2018 2:05 PM, Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi,

 

I use a work computer which is still running Windows 7. We have now, finally, been given an opportunity to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, with a no return to Windows 7 policy once upgraded.

 

Is there any reason to not upgrade to Windows 10? This will be an upgrade on an older computer, and not a replacement computer, if that would make a difference.

 

Using the latest JAWS.

 

Thanks in advance Keith

 

 


Re: Is there a reason to not upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>
 

You would have to compare Apples to Apples so to speak and look at each computer's CPU, memory and hard drive or SSD. Until very recently I was still using a desktop PC at my business which I bought in February of 2008. It was an inexpensive and basic business PC which back then had what was a $99 CPU, a $79 desktop case with power supply and the only upgrade I made was to change the original hard drive to an SSD a few years ago, it had 8 Gb of RAM. That PC ran Windows 10 just as well as it did Windows 7 except that it crashed less under Windows 10 and in my experience at least Windows 10 runs as good or better on the same hardware as Windows 7 did. One thing which will definitely make the biggest difference is the hard drive, if you were to replace a 6 or 8 year old standard hard drive with an SSD which if you go with a 240 Gb size you can get for probably $99 these days you'd notice a very significant performance boost.

Of course it also depends whether you "upgrade" Windows 7 to Windows 10 or whether you install Windows 10 from scratch including deleting and repartitioning the hard drive, a completely new install will always result in a better running system.

 

Regards,

Sieghard

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David & his pack of dogs
Sent: Friday, November 9, 2018 7:51 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Is there a reason to not upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

 

I have a refurbished computer that it was estimated ran windows 7 originally, now running windows 10. It does work, however, you could make and drink your coffee by the time JAWS loads up. It started with JAWS 18.  I now have a Mac Book pro that was built around 012.  It was converted to a windows 10 computer and it runs a lot faster. That is just my thoughts, yes a windows 7 can be upgraded to 10, you just might get frustrated with the slowness of the performance.     

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: November 9, 2018 3:04 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Is there a reason to not upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

 

I'm running Windows 10 on older machines--2012 older anyway--and it works just fine. I haven't had one single problem since upgrading in February, 2017.

 

On 11/8/2018 2:05 PM, Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi,

 

I use a work computer which is still running Windows 7. We have now, finally, been given an opportunity to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, with a no return to Windows 7 policy once upgraded.

 

Is there any reason to not upgrade to Windows 10? This will be an upgrade on an older computer, and not a replacement computer, if that would make a difference.

 

Using the latest JAWS.

 

Thanks in advance. Keith

 

 


Re: Is there a reason to not upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

Chris Hill
 

There can e lots of reasons for a computer to run slow.  I had slowness issues when i upgraded my old laptop to windows 10.  It wasn't exactly fast under windows 7 either, though.  I finally found the answer: a failing hard drive was the main issue.  Just because windows thinks the drive is okay doesn't mean you shouldn't do a chkdsk once in a while just to check things out.




On 11/9/2018 09:50, David & his pack of dogs wrote:

I have a refurbished computer that it was estimated ran windows 7 originally, now running windows 10. It does work, however, you could make and drink your coffee by the time JAWS loads up. It started with JAWS 18.  I now have a Mac Book pro that was built around 012.  It was converted to a windows 10 computer and it runs a lot faster. That is just my thoughts, yes a windows 7 can be upgraded to 10, you just might get frustrated with the slowness of the performance.     

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: November 9, 2018 3:04 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Is there a reason to not upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

 

I'm running Windows 10 on older machines--2012 older anyway--and it works just fine. I haven't had one single problem since upgrading in February, 2017.

 

On 11/8/2018 2:05 PM, Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi,

 

I use a work computer which is still running Windows 7. We have now, finally, been given an opportunity to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, with a no return to Windows 7 policy once upgraded.

 

Is there any reason to not upgrade to Windows 10? This will be an upgrade on an older computer, and not a replacement computer, if that would make a difference.

 

Using the latest JAWS.

 

Thanks in advance. Keith

 

 



Re: Is there a reason to not upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

Dave...
 

In my case, my Dell Latitude E6520 reported having hardware not compatible with Windows 10. So I stick with Windows 7 until a new computer falls out of the sky into my lap.
 
Dave
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer
 
 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2018 07:50
Subject: Re: Is there a reason to not upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

I have a refurbished computer that it was estimated ran windows 7 originally, now running windows 10. It does work, however, you could make and drink your coffee by the time JAWS loads up. It started with JAWS 18.  I now have a Mac Book pro that was built around 012.  It was converted to a windows 10 computer and it runs a lot faster. That is just my thoughts, yes a windows 7 can be upgraded to 10, you just might get frustrated with the slowness of the performance.     

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: November 9, 2018 3:04 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Is there a reason to not upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

 

I'm running Windows 10 on older machines--2012 older anyway--and it works just fine. I haven't had one single problem since upgrading in February, 2017.

 

On 11/8/2018 2:05 PM, Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi,

 

I use a work computer which is still running Windows 7. We have now, finally, been given an opportunity to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, with a no return to Windows 7 policy once upgraded.

 

Is there any reason to not upgrade to Windows 10? This will be an upgrade on an older computer, and not a replacement computer, if that would make a difference.

 

Using the latest JAWS.

 

Thanks in advance Keith

 

 


Re: Is there a reason to not upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

David & his pack of dogs
 

I have a refurbished computer that it was estimated ran windows 7 originally, now running windows 10. It does work, however, you could make and drink your coffee by the time JAWS loads up. It started with JAWS 18.  I now have a Mac Book pro that was built around 012.  It was converted to a windows 10 computer and it runs a lot faster. That is just my thoughts, yes a windows 7 can be upgraded to 10, you just might get frustrated with the slowness of the performance.     

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: November 9, 2018 3:04 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Is there a reason to not upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

 

I'm running Windows 10 on older machines--2012 older anyway--and it works just fine. I haven't had one single problem since upgrading in February, 2017.

 

On 11/8/2018 2:05 PM, Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi,

 

I use a work computer which is still running Windows 7. We have now, finally, been given an opportunity to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, with a no return to Windows 7 policy once upgraded.

 

Is there any reason to not upgrade to Windows 10? This will be an upgrade on an older computer, and not a replacement computer, if that would make a difference.

 

Using the latest JAWS.

 

Thanks in advance. Keith

 

 


Re: How to put a radio URL into a play list file, .?

Mario
 

"I noticed that the .asx, .m3u and .pls files are text files containing
a radio station URL. Perhaps these are called play list files."

yes, they are.

"... Is it as simple as copying and pasting the URL into Notepad and
saving it as a .m3u file?"

yes, it is that simple, but I think the trick is to find out what the
correct address should be to create a playlist or paste into the URL
edit field, but as far as I know, that'll have to be provided by the
broadcasting engineer/manager/director/administrator, in which case they
will email you such a file if their method for streaming can support the
use of PLS or M3U files. the M3U is the format that works in older media
players and the PLS format is the format meant for modern players. .
but modern players can play M3U playlists as well. and ASX is basically
(dead) not used as it once was.

I'd also be interested to know if there is a way to find out what the
correct address would be, not just for the BBC streams, but for any
stream without having to ask the appropriate individuals.

-------- Original Message --------
From: Peter Tesar [mailto:ptesar@ca.inter.net]
Sent: Thu, Nov 8, 2018 9:34 PM EST
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: How to put a radio URL into a play list file, .?

Hello List,



I listen to Web radio on my Plextalk Linio. The .asx, .m3u and .pls
files were provided by Plextalk but, now the BBC files do not work.

A few years ago, the BBC announced a change to their streaming standard.
Can I create my own file to play on the Plextalk?

I have never intentionally played music on my computer, so I don’t know
much about Play Lists.

I noticed that the .asx, .m3u and .pls files are text files containing a
radio station URL. Perhaps these are called play list files.

How do I get the correct Web radio URL into these files? Is it as simple
as copying and pasting the URL into Notepad and saving it as a .m3u file?

Now I listen to the BBC online, using FireFox to go to this streaming site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_world_service

I copied the address and pasted it into Notepad and into the Windows
Media Player URL box.

Using Notepad I saved the file with the file extension .m3u

but, it won’t play.

I also pasted this URL into the Windows Media Player URL box.

I get this message:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The player might not support
the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress
the file.

The .asx file contains this URL:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio/bbc_london/

It no longer works.

I would like to listen to the BBC World Service on the PlexTalk.

I would appreciate some advice or Web page that would explain the
concepts of radio station addresses and how to create a file that will
play in the PlexTalk.

Thanks,

Peter T.


Re: Anoying Computer Bogging Down Issue

Tom Behler
 

Rob:

I can't get F8 to work for turning the preview pane off. When I use the key
command, nothing happens.

Is there another way to do this?

For the record, I have the folder pane set to normal, and the reading pane
set to off.

Once again, I'm using Outlook 2016 with Office 365 and Jaws 2019 on this
Windows 7 laptop.

Tom Behler

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rob Whyte
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2018 12:04 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Anoying Computer Bogging Down Issue

try turning preview pane off, f8 i think it is.


Rob Whyte
Assistive Technology | Specialist Services | VisAbility Work days: Mon,
Tue, Wed JAWS 2018 certified

PO Box 82 North Hobart TAS 7002
62 Invermay Road, Launceston TAS 7248
164 Elizabeth Street, Hobart TAS 7000

T: 03 6232 1248 | F: 03 6232 1221
M: 0429 366 589
E: mailto:rob.whyte@visability.com.au



________________________________________
From: main@jfw.groups.io [main@jfw.groups.io] on behalf of Tom Behler
[tombehler@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, 9 November 2018 2:24 PM
To: 'jfw list'
Subject: Anoying Computer Bogging Down Issue

Hello, everyone.

I am not sure if this is totally Jaws related, so please bare with my
question here.

Recently, I have found that my computer boggs down when arrowing down
through a list of Outlook 2016 e-mail in-box messages. I find that, after I
get to approximately the 30th message in the listview, Jaws and my computer
boggs down to the point that I have to wait for one or two seconds to arrow
down to the next message. Right now I have about 45 messages in my inbox.

Has anyone else found this problem, and if so, what did you do to correct
it?

For the record, this problem has only started to occur recently. I'm using
Windows 7 with Jaws 2019 on a business-grade Dell laptop.

Tom Behler




Message protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content
filtering.
http://www.mailguard.com.au/mg



--
Message protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content
filtering.http://www.mailguard.com.au/mg


Re: Need refresher on how to change Jaws verbosity level

Tom Behler
 

Agreed, Sieghard.

In fact, the little exercise involved with making the tab key speak again reminded me how to manage key labels, which I hadn't done for quite a while.

This is why I appreciate this list.

Sometimes, it's just a bit daunting to keep track of everything when doing upgrades or other modifications to our assistive technology.

Tom Behler

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2018 11:22 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Need refresher on how to change Jaws verbosity level

Hi Tom,

I assume that over time a lot of users requested that the tab key should not be spoken which is why Vispero now implemented this as the default behaviour.
You say it should be up to the user and my reply to that is that it is, any user can easily change it and if the user doesn't know then by doing so he or she learned about key labels which I think happens to be a very useful feature everybody should be aware of. I already had set the tab key to mute, but on a new Jaws installation it was one of the first things I did so I am certainly happy there is one less thing I have to do, I guess those who want it spoken are now in the same situation as those who don't want to hear it as they now have to turn it back on where prior to Jaws 2019 we had to turn it off. Vispero will never find a set of default settings which will please everybody, but having all these choices is what makes Jaws such a good screenreader.


Regards,
Sieghard

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2018 6:51 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Need refresher on how to change Jaws verbosity level

Well, I guess that makes sense, although I believe things like that should be a personal choice left up to the user.

Tom Behler


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2018 7:40 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Need refresher on how to change Jaws verbosity level

They thought people could navigate more conveniently if JAWS didn't speak the TAB key, just as it doesn't speak the arrow keys.

Bill White

billwhite92701@dslextreme.com


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2018 4:32 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Need refresher on how to change Jaws verbosity level

Thanks, Bill.

Do you or anyone else know why Vispero made this change?

It's not a terribly big deal, but a question of curiosity more than anything else.

Tom Behler


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2018 7:19 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Need refresher on how to change Jaws verbosity level

Hi, Tom. ALT plus TAB doesn't work the way it used to, not because of a change in the verbocity settings, but because this is how Vispero set JAWS by default in all upcoming versions. To change this behavior:

1. Open the Settings Center with the keystroke, Jaws key + 6, on the number row then press, control, shift + D, to open default all applications.
2. In the search box, type "key labels"
3. Arrow down to Manage Key Labels, and press SPACE.
4. Press the letter, T, and it'll take you to, Tab tab mute, now tab 1 time an you'll hear, toggle mute button, so press the spacebar to hear, Tab tab speak.
5. Tab to, OK, press the spacebar, tab again to, Okay, press enter to save & close.

Bill White

billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2018 3:49 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Need refresher on how to change Jaws verbosity level

Patrick:

When I installed Jaws 2019, I successfully migrated my Jaws user settings from Jaws 2018 during the instalation process itself.

But, I followed your steps again, just to be sure.

Still, it seems like something has changed with regard to my Jaws verbosity settings.

For example, Jaws used to speak Alt Tab when I used that key conbination to switch applications. Now, it no longer does this.

It's certainly not the end of the world, and I can get used to the change. But I do wonder what else has changed and if I'll find other related issues as I work more with the new Jaws 2019.

Tom Behler


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick Johnson
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2018 6:06 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Need refresher on how to change Jaws verbosity level

Tom,

Not quite answering your question but here are the steps to copy your earlier settings to a new version of JAWS. These steps were sent to me on a JAWS list earlier this week.


Try the following:
1. Open the Jaws context menu with, Insert / Jaws key + J.
2. Down arrow to, Utilities, and press enter.
3. Down arrow to, Import / Export submenu, and press enter.
4. Down arrow to, Migrate settings..., and press enter.
5. Now you'll have a combobox to choose which version of Jaws you would like to migrate your settings from... After you choose which Jaws version tab 1 time to, Yes, and press the spacebar and follow the prompts.


73s,

Patrick

On 11/8/18, Tom Behler <tombehler@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, everyone.



I've just installed Jaws 2019 on my Windows 7 laptop here, and, for
some reason, I think my verbosity level has been changed from what it
was with Jaws 2018.



Can someone remind me how to change the Jaws verbosity level?



Thanks as always.



Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan







Re: Need refresher on how to change Jaws verbosity level

Tom Behler
 

Oh, I know, Bill. ... In fact, I have things working the way I want them to now, thanks to your instructions.

I was just curious as to why Vispero changed the default setting, and got the answer that it was felt to make overall navigation easier.

So, no worries here.

Tom Behler

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2018 11:00 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Need refresher on how to change Jaws verbosity level

It is. I gave you instructions on how to change it back to the classic tab behavior in previous versions of JAWS. Vispero hasn't made it impossible to have the old behavior, they have just changed the default behavior.

Bill White

billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2018 6:51 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Need refresher on how to change Jaws verbosity level

Well, I guess that makes sense, although I believe things like that should be a personal choice left up to the user.

Tom Behler


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2018 7:40 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Need refresher on how to change Jaws verbosity level

They thought people could navigate more conveniently if JAWS didn't speak the TAB key, just as it doesn't speak the arrow keys.

Bill White

billwhite92701@dslextreme.com


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2018 4:32 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Need refresher on how to change Jaws verbosity level

Thanks, Bill.

Do you or anyone else know why Vispero made this change?

It's not a terribly big deal, but a question of curiosity more than anything else.

Tom Behler


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2018 7:19 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Need refresher on how to change Jaws verbosity level

Hi, Tom. ALT plus TAB doesn't work the way it used to, not because of a change in the verbocity settings, but because this is how Vispero set JAWS by default in all upcoming versions. To change this behavior:

1. Open the Settings Center with the keystroke, Jaws key + 6, on the number row then press, control, shift + D, to open default all applications.
2. In the search box, type "key labels"
3. Arrow down to Manage Key Labels, and press SPACE.
4. Press the letter, T, and it'll take you to, Tab tab mute, now tab 1 time an you'll hear, toggle mute button, so press the spacebar to hear, Tab tab speak.
5. Tab to, OK, press the spacebar, tab again to, Okay, press enter to save & close.

Bill White

billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2018 3:49 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Need refresher on how to change Jaws verbosity level

Patrick:

When I installed Jaws 2019, I successfully migrated my Jaws user settings from Jaws 2018 during the instalation process itself.

But, I followed your steps again, just to be sure.

Still, it seems like something has changed with regard to my Jaws verbosity settings.

For example, Jaws used to speak Alt Tab when I used that key conbination to switch applications. Now, it no longer does this.

It's certainly not the end of the world, and I can get used to the change. But I do wonder what else has changed and if I'll find other related issues as I work more with the new Jaws 2019.

Tom Behler


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick Johnson
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2018 6:06 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Need refresher on how to change Jaws verbosity level

Tom,

Not quite answering your question but here are the steps to copy your earlier settings to a new version of JAWS. These steps were sent to me on a JAWS list earlier this week.


Try the following:
1. Open the Jaws context menu with, Insert / Jaws key + J.
2. Down arrow to, Utilities, and press enter.
3. Down arrow to, Import / Export submenu, and press enter.
4. Down arrow to, Migrate settings..., and press enter.
5. Now you'll have a combobox to choose which version of Jaws you would like to migrate your settings from... After you choose which Jaws version tab 1 time to, Yes, and press the spacebar and follow the prompts.


73s,

Patrick

On 11/8/18, Tom Behler <tombehler@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, everyone.



I've just installed Jaws 2019 on my Windows 7 laptop here, and, for
some reason, I think my verbosity level has been changed from what it
was with Jaws 2018.



Can someone remind me how to change the Jaws verbosity level?



Thanks as always.



Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan







Re: Jaws and Very Large PDF documents

Jonas Voll
 

Ruth!

You may want to try a older version of Adobe!

I created some editable PDF’s that do not work in the new version!

 

 

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
Toll Free: 316-425-7141
www.envisionus.com

Envision: To improve the quality of life and provide inspiration and opportunity for people who are blind or visually impaired through employment, outreach, rehabilitation, education and research.

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer system.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of pmbeardy@...
Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2018 10:17 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws and Very Large PDF documents

 

hello, maybe try openbook. use the save page range option to save the document.

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 16:10:23 +0000, "LAZZARI Ruth" wrote:


Good Morning,

 

I am trying to assist a tax accountant who uses Jaws 2018 and Adobe Reader Pro 11 .  She is often give pdf files that are up to 1000 pages to read and extract pages as necessary!  While Jaws reads as normal for smaller documents, less than 500, at 1000+ we only get a Document Empty message.  We know that the document has been OCR’d, in fact when we extract a page from the large document it works well.  We have:

1.    Tested this with NVDA as well as the Adobe Read Out Loud.  We receive the same message.

2.    Tried all of the Adobe reading settings, e.g. process one page at a time, read from left to right, raw stream, etc.

3.    Ran Accessibility Checker which indicated that it indeed it is not an image

4.    Checked the Adobe security settings, which indicates no protection at all.

5.    Behaves the exact same way in Adobe Reader versus Pro.

 

I cannot test this document in Jaws 2019 because they are confidential tax documents, and at this time she does not have Jaws 2019 installed.  (We are working on that now.)

 

If anyone has any ideas at all, we would truly appreciate it. 

 

Thanks so much!

 

Ruth Lazzari, Assistive Technology Specialist

Oregon Commission for the Blind

 

 



*****CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*****
This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee or it appears from the context or otherwise that you have received this e-mail in error, please advise me immediately by reply e-mail, keep the contents confidential, and immediately delete the message and any attachments from your system.
************************************

 
SonicWall identified this message as clean.
To manage your junk mail go to https://nospam.envisionus.com 
and 
logon with your domain userid and password.
If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to 
'spam@...'


Re: Is there a reason to not upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

Steve Matzura
 

I'm running Windows 10 on older machines--2012 older anyway--and it works just fine. I haven't had one single problem since upgrading in February, 2017.


On 11/8/2018 2:05 PM, Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi,

 

I use a work computer which is still running Windows 7. We have now, finally, been given an opportunity to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, with a no return to Windows 7 policy once upgraded.

 

Is there any reason to not upgrade to Windows 10? This will be an upgrade on an older computer, and not a replacement computer, if that would make a difference.

 

Using the latest JAWS.

 

Thanks in advance. Keith




Re: Is there a reason to not upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>
 

The Jaws cursor issue is definitely a sad truth, I am currently unable to do a fair number of things in my accounting and point of sale software which with Windows 7 were no problem.
There are, however, also other issues if you are using legacy software by which I mean desktop applications which are maybe a bit older.
In my point of sale software, for example, there are just regular menus like File, Database, Reports etc. Jaws with Windows 7 would read these perfectly well. I could press Alt+R for Reports and then arrow down the list and there were options like Sales, Inventory, Customers, Miscellaneous, Custom etc. Most of these were submenus which I could expand with the right arrow and then down arrow again to find the particular report I wanted.
In Windows 10 this works perfectly as well, e.g. I can press Alt+R, down arrow, right arrow, down arrow again and all that except for one little problem: as I do this everything is visually on the screen but Jaws doesn't speak a thing, zip, nada, kaput.
If I know that a particular report is where I have to down arrow twice, then right arrow to expand and then down arrow 5 times to get to it I can still do it, otherwise I have to ask one of my sighted employees to look as I do it and tell me when I get to where I want to be.
In my accounting software, Sage 50, none of the reports which I used to be able to read with the Jaws cursor are accessible any more. I can work around this since reports can be exported to Excel, but often when I just want to quickly check the balance on a particular account it is just a pain in the neck which takes me three times as long.
I don't necessarily agree with Brian here who says better to do it now than later. Hopefully Vispero will find ways again to make the experience better for those of us who have to use some of these older applications or even new ones which may be suffering from the same problems and in that case sticking with Windows 7 for another year or two is not a bad strategy.
It really is too bad because otherwise I really like Windows 10, it's more stabil and has a lot of good features, but it's one of these situations where it's one step forward and two steps back in terms of accessibility for some users and I am unfortunately one of these users.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ben Humphreys
Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2018 2:27 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Is there a reason to not upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

Hi Keith,

One thing I've noticed about Windows 10 -- the Jaws cursor is
becoming increasingly less functional. I find I have to resort to
OCr more often than in the past.

But there's a lot to like too, such as a much-improved Narrator
(which works even when Jaws crashes).

I think the Ribbon-based Explorer is more cumbersome.

Also, a lot more Tabbing when in Windows configuration screens.

Nothing that's a deal killer, but I do miss how well the Jaws cursor
worked back in Windows 7 and XP days.

Ben

At 02:05 PM 11/8/2018, you wrote:
Hi,

I use a work computer which is still running Windows 7. We have now,
finally, been given an opportunity to upgrade from Windows 7 to
Windows 10, with a no return to Windows 7 policy once upgraded.

Is there any reason to not upgrade to Windows 10? This will be an
upgrade on an older computer, and not a replacement computer, if
that would make a difference.

Using the latest JAWS.

Thanks in advance. Keith