Date   

Re: What's going on with my JAWS and Firefox??

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>
 

Hi, Jim. The last version of Firefox you can run is Firefox version 56. Version 57 or Quantum, will not work with JAWS. This will not be fixed until at least May of this year. I suggest installing Firefox ESR, or downgrading to at least Firefox 56, some say Firefox 52 is even better.

 

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Portillo
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2018 8:37 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: What's going on with my JAWS and Firefox??

 

Goode morning,

 

Is there something I don’t know about regarding JAWS and Firefox?

Up until recently, I was running JAWS 18 but must have been running an old version of Firefox because I was told I needed to update due to having an outdated version.

I then first removed and then re-installed and updated Firefox but didn’t think about JAWS until I was told something about tab content and presentation not being available due to my screen reading software.  I updated to JAWS 2018.  Now, Firefox is Incredibly Sluggish! I’m not even sure if it’s crashing on me. I can’t really be productive due to its speed.

Is something wrong with it being compatible with the latest JAWS?  What should I do?  I don’t know if it’s my computer or not.

Internet Explorer still works; although, some sites I frequent work better with Firefox.  Does anyone have any thoughts?

Jim

 

 


What's going on with my JAWS and Firefox??

Jim Portillo
 

Goode morning,

 

Is there something I don’t know about regarding JAWS and Firefox?

Up until recently, I was running JAWS 18 but must have been running an old version of Firefox because I was told I needed to update due to having an outdated version.

I then first removed and then re-installed and updated Firefox but didn’t think about JAWS until I was told something about tab content and presentation not being available due to my screen reading software.  I updated to JAWS 2018.  Now, Firefox is Incredibly Sluggish! I’m not even sure if it’s crashing on me. I can’t really be productive due to its speed.

Is something wrong with it being compatible with the latest JAWS?  What should I do?  I don’t know if it’s my computer or not.

Internet Explorer still works; although, some sites I frequent work better with Firefox.  Does anyone have any thoughts?

Jim

 

 


Re: Cant get Dell xps8900 to boot up on usb or cd drive

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>
 

Not unless you have Boot from an External enabled in the UEFI.

 

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2018 7:44 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Cant get Dell xps8900 to boot up on usb or cd drive

 

Does F12 on boot not work anymore on a dell?

F12 use to bring up a boot drive selection menu where you could choose the drive to boot from

 

 

 

 

From: Nino Dagostino
Sent: 18 February 2018 14:21
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Cant get Dell xps8900 to boot up on usb or cd drive

 

Hi:

 

I am not sure if this question is for this list or not.

 

I have noware else to turn to.

 

I cant get my xps8900 to boot from a usb stick.

 

I got the windows10 disk from Carlos web site.

 

If you cant help me on this list could you suggest another list that would be able to help me?

 

Thank you so mutch.

 

 

 

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

 

 


Re: Cant get Dell xps8900 to boot up on usb or cd drive

Chris
 

Does F12 on boot not work anymore on a dell?

F12 use to bring up a boot drive selection menu where you could choose the drive to boot from

 

 

 

 

From: Nino Dagostino
Sent: 18 February 2018 14:21
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Cant get Dell xps8900 to boot up on usb or cd drive

 

Hi:

 

I am not sure if this question is for this list or not.

 

I have noware else to turn to.

 

I cant get my xps8900 to boot from a usb stick.

 

I got the windows10 disk from Carlos web site.

 

If you cant help me on this list could you suggest another list that would be able to help me?

 

Thank you so mutch.

 

 

 

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com



 


Re: Cant get Dell xps8900 to boot up on usb or cd drive

John Covici
 

You will have to go into the BIOS and check the boot order there. No
Windows program that I know of will help here.

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 09:21:12 -0500,
Nino Dagostino wrote:

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
[2 <text/html; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
Hi:

I am not sure if this question is for this list or not.

I have noware else to turn to.

I cant get my xps8900 to boot from a usb stick.

I got the windows10 disk from Carlos web site.

If you cant help me on this list could you suggest another list that would be able to help me?

Thank you so mutch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avast logo This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com
Avast logo
--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com


Re: levono hot keys and touchpad

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>
 

I have yet to see a laptop where you can't disable the TouchPad with a Function Key. Just ask a sighted person to look at the symbols on the function keys and then if you find one that looks promising press it together with the FN key.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard B. McDonald
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 12:21 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: levono hot keys and touchpad

For my Lenovo, I was able to go into my "Mouse Properties (Touchpad)" from the Start menu and disable the touchpad there.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Val Paul
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 9:57 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: levono hot keys and touchpad

Hi!

Do I have to get someone to go into the bio's to disable the touchpad


Cant get Dell xps8900 to boot up on usb or cd drive

Nino Dagostino
 

Hi:

 

I am not sure if this question is for this list or not.

 

I have noware else to turn to.

 

I cant get my xps8900 to boot from a usb stick.

 

I got the windows10 disk from Carlos web site.

 

If you cant help me on this list could you suggest another list that would be able to help me?

 

Thank you so mutch.

 

 




Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com



Re: Any good Hex Editors?

paul lemm
 

Hi,

 

Ah, in which case I’m not sure how to fix it, since Audacity is what I would have used myself to try and import and then export with, you mentioned you’ve tried importing it as raw data, I don’t know too much about this, but if you try and play it in raw data format in audacity it won’t work  if its corrupt, you would then need to go to export  as audio and then save it somewhere making sure in the save as window you have selected file type as WAV. Then find the file you’ve just saved and see if that plays correctly. Unfortunately other than that I’m not too sure of anything else I can suggest to help,,  sorry. Hope you manage to get it all sorted though.

 

Paul

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Annabelle Susan Morison
Sent: 18 February 2018 00:57
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Any good Hex Editors?

 

I've tried importing the .wav file into an audio editor like Audacity as "Raw Data", but all I get is static noise, instead of the original audio.

 


From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 2:35 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Any good Hex Editors?

 

In some quick searching, both UltraEdit and NotePad++ are both mentioned as having hex editor plugins.

There also was a freeware hex editor mentioned called HXD.

How accessible any of these are, I have no idea.

HTH,

Richard

 

 

“The secret is not to make your music louder, but to make the world quieter.” 

- Mitch Albom from The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto, page 1


On Feb 17, 2018, at 2:16 PM, paul lemm <paul.lemm@...> wrote:

Hi,

Although I don’t know any good hex editors, in fact for that matter I’m not sure I even know what one is lol. But as an alternative  solution , you could try converting the broken wav file to a different file format, which makes a new version of the sound and may fix the broken attributes too, , then you can just re convert the file back to WAV. There are plenty of online sites that will convert WAV to another format. I do a little programing to write audio games, , and every now and again I’ll come across a wav file that won’t play, in which case I just add the wav file to my music editor software , then export it back out as a WAV file, which is doing the same as I mentioned above , but just using the program I have, but that’s always worked in the past. I’ve put the link for two  websites below, one which converts files from WAV to mp3, and then another which converts mp3 files to WAV. Hopefully this fixes your issue, but if you have any problems, if it’s just one WAV file that’s broken if you can find a way of sending me the WAV file I can always try running it through my music  editing software and seeing if that fixes it for you. Anyways, the links are below

Convert to MP3

https://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp3

Convert to WAV

https://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-wav

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Annabelle Susan Morison
Sent: 17 February 2018 02:56
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Any good Hex Editors?

Hi, it's Annabelle.

I found something interesting on the Internet, about how to fix broken .wav files that won't open in any players. Someone named Scott Hanselman said something about using a binary file editor, specifically a Hex editor, to fix the headers. However, I'm not sure where I can find any good Hex editors that would work with JAWS. Anybody have any pointers? I've tried Notepad++, but all I get when I read the file line-by-line is a bunch of weird code.


Re: Lenovo Hotkeys and jaws.

James Malone
 

Assuming that this is a laptop, I went in and worked with someone from Office Max, and what they did was changed something in the Bios settings. They made this a permanent change.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Val Paul
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 4:56 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Lenovo Hotkeys and jaws.

afraid not.


On 17/02/2018 21:18, Maria Campbell wrote:
Do you have any kind of vocational school or computer classes at a
school near you that you could call and ask for a student to come and
help you?


Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@gmail.com

"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis

On 2/17/2018 4:15 PM, Val Paul wrote:
Hi Maria!

That's what i was trying to do today, but could i get it into my
neighbour's head

? No i could not! He just kept telling me to press the fn key every
time i wanted to use a jaws key.


On 17/02/2018 21:10, Maria Campbell wrote:
That's too bad. Unfortunately, I don't think the Microsoft
disability line can/will help and the people at Lenovo don't even
know what it means or why the necessity to turn off their function
keys. Really, you will have to get a sighted person to turn off the
keys within the bios.


Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@gmail.com

"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis

On 2/17/2018 4:07 PM, Val Paul wrote:
Sorry no go!


On 17/02/2018 21:02, Maria Campbell wrote:
Val, just for the hell of it, try pressing your escape key plus
the function key on your pc. It might turn off the Lenovo keys and
allow the JAWS keys to work. Once you do this, to test it, press
the insert plus the f12 key to see if it tells you the time.


Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@gmail.com

"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis

On 2/17/2018 3:56 PM, Val Paul wrote:
the office was closed, so had to use the disability online chat.


On 17/02/2018 18:30, Richard Turner wrote:
Were you able to call them, or did you have to use the web chat
or something?
Just curious.
I hope you can get this resolved. What a pain.

Thanks,
Richard


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf
Of Val Paul
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 10:27 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Lenovo Hotkeys and jaws.

Hi All!

Have just been on to microsoft disability desk, but they
couldn't really help, suggesting that i contact Levono.

I'm going to do a search to see if they've got a support desk.




















Re: Disabling lenovo hotkeys and jaws

Val Paul
 

Hi Bill!

It was my neighbour that wouldn't have it when i tried to explain that you'd have to go into the bio's not you.

On 18/02/2018 05:14, Bill White wrote:
Hi, Val. Who was having none of it, your brother, or did you think I didn't want you to use Microsoft Disability Services? The problem you're going to have is that Microsoft Disability Services cannot access your UEFI or BIOS. This requires going into the BIOS before Windows is loaded. Since it requires doing something before Windows is loaded, Microsoft will have no way to get into your BIOS, if that is what is required to change the behavior of your function keys.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Val Paul
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 9:22 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Disabling lenovo hotkeys and jaws

That's what i tried to tell him, but he was having none of it! Will try
that number.

Thanks.



On 17/02/2018 15:18, Richard Turner wrote:
I thought they had told me once that they support all English speaking countries, so give it a try.

Richard


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 7:16 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Disabling lenovo hotkeys and jaws

She lives in Scotland, so I don't think Microsoft Disability Services will work for her.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 7:12 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Disabling lenovo hotkeys and jaws

Hi,
Have you tried calling Microsoft Accessibility support?
In my brief research, it seems that your brand does use the bios to set this, but there might be an easier solution.
800-936-5900.

Richard


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Val Paul
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 6:56 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Disabling lenovo hotkeys and jaws

the problem is, that when i go back to using the key i thought i'd
disabled, i've got to use the Fn key every time.

This makes doing a task t? you have to go into the bio's, but he says
the option he gave me would do!

This can't be right, can itg] Fn, then F6 and that would disable the
key. eHi!

Hope someone will be able to give me some help with this!

My neighbour was in this afternoon trying to help me disable lenovo
hotkeys, and what he's told me to do is, press the Fn key and which one
i want disabled. [





















Re: jfw and firefox acting very sluggish

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>
 

Hi, Jed. I don't know why a reinstall works, I just know it does. That's why I suggested a reinstall the other day. Apparently after a number of updates, something goes wrong sometimes, and Firefox needs a reinstall. They have a "refresh Firefox" button in options, but you don't want to do that, because it can force an update to the latest version of Firefox.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jed Barton
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 2:55 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: jfw and firefox acting very sluggish

Hey guys.
Well, to update everyone i re-installed firefox, and wow, it seems to
be a lot more responsive. Any ideas why it is all of a sudden working
like it should?

On 2/16/18, Jed Barton <jedbarton@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Bill. Wow, thank you so much. I sincerely appreciate it. I'll
install in the morning and update you as i go along.

Cheers,
Jed

On 2/16/18, Bill White <billwhite92701@dslextreme.com> wrote:
Hi, Jed. Here is Firefox 52.0. I uploaded it to Sendspace for you and for
anyone else looking for an older, stable release of Firefox.

You've got a file called Firefox Setup 52.0.exe, (43.3 MB) waiting to be
downloaded at sendspace.com.

Description: Firefox 52.0, 32-bit US English

You can use the following link to retrieve your file:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/tdmalh

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jed
Barton
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2018 6:08 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: jfw and firefox acting very sluggish

Hey guys. Where can i download a stable version of firefox? I wanna
do a re-install, but wanna make sure i get the right 1. Any help
would be appreciated.

On 2/16/18, Richard Turner <richardturner42@outlook.com> wrote:
First, my other thread was wrong. I am running the 32 bit version.
I'm having no issues running the same version ESR 52.6.

This is Windows 10 home, 64 bit machine for what that is worth.
Jaws 2018.
Perhaps folks have some addons that are causing a problem?

Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert
Logue
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2018 6:18 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: jfw and firefox acting very sluggish

Noticed this as well. I'm using Firefox 52.6.0 (32-bit) on a 64 bit
machine. Not sure why. I thought it was advised to use that version.


Many pages come up slowly and Jaws won't read anything in Firefox till
the page is loaded. Might be Java. Could be something else.


Bob




On 2018-02-14 5:37 PM, Jed Barton wrote:

Hey guys,

OK, yet another problem with jfw acting sluggish with yet no
explaination with firefix. I am running jaws 18. Lately i am loading
firefox, to google which is my home page, I'll alt tab over to it and
start tabbing around and it just literally says nothing. It's almost
like it has to focus on it, it seems to be a lot slower. Anyone else
seen something similar? It's pretty annoying to say the least.

Cheers,
Jed



















Re: Any good Hex Editors?

Dave...
 


Sorry,
 
No attachment, no gibberish.
 
Dave
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer
 
 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 21:19
Subject: Re: Any good Hex Editors?

Here's an example of a document I want to restore. What do I change? Basically, this document was originally a poem I wrote, but now it's a bunch of gibberish after being recovered with ICare Data Recovery Pro.


From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 2:35 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Any good Hex Editors?


In some quick searching, both UltraEdit and NotePad++ are both mentioned as having hex editor plugins.
There also was a freeware hex editor mentioned called HXD.
How accessible any of these are, I have no idea.
HTH,
Richard



“The secret is not to make your music louder, but to make the world quieter.” 

- Mitch Albom from The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto, page 1


On Feb 17, 2018, at 2:16 PM, paul lemm <paul.lemm@...> wrote:

Hi,

Although I don’t know any good hex editors, in fact for that matter I’m not sure I even know what one is lol. But as an alternative  solution , you could try converting the broken wav file to a different file format, which makes a new version of the sound and may fix the broken attributes too, , then you can just re convert the file back to WAV. There are plenty of online sites that will convert WAV to another format. I do a little programing to write audio games, , and every now and again I’ll come across a wav file that won’t play, in which case I just add the wav file to my music editor software , then export it back out as a WAV file, which is doing the same as I mentioned above , but just using the program I have, but that’s always worked in the past. I’ve put the link for two  websites below, one which converts files from WAV to mp3, and then another which converts mp3 files to WAV. Hopefully this fixes your issue, but if you have any problems, if it’s just one WAV file that’s broken if you can find a way of sending me the WAV file I can always try running it through my music  editing software and seeing if that fixes it for you. Anyways, the links are below

Convert to MP3

https://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp3

Convert to WAV

https://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-wav

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Annabelle Susan Morison
Sent: 17 February 2018 02:56
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Any good Hex Editors?

Hi, it's Annabelle.

I found something interesting on the Internet, about how to fix broken .wav files that won't open in any players. Someone named Scott Hanselman said something about using a binary file editor, specifically a Hex editor, to fix the headers. However, I'm not sure where I can find any good Hex editors that would work with JAWS. Anybody have any pointers? I've tried Notepad++, but all I get when I read the file line-by-line is a bunch of weird code.


Re: Lenovo Hotkeys and jaws.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>
 

Hi, Maria. They don't have Best Buy in Scotland where Val is located.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Maria Campbell
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 10:31 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Lenovo Hotkeys and jaws.

If I didn't have a sighted person to turn off the Lenovo function keys
in the bios, the only way to turn them off, I would take the laptop to
Best buy and have them do it.


Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@gmail.com

"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis

On 2/17/2018 1:27 PM, Val Paul wrote:
Hi All!

Have just been on to microsoft disability desk, but they couldn't
really help, suggesting that i contact Levono.

I'm going to do a search to see if they've got a support desk.





Re: Any good Hex Editors?

Annabelle Susan Morison
 


Here's an example of a document I want to restore. What do I change? Basically, this document was originally a poem I wrote, but now it's a bunch of gibberish after being recovered with ICare Data Recovery Pro.



From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 2:35 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Any good Hex Editors?


In some quick searching, both UltraEdit and NotePad++ are both mentioned as having hex editor plugins.
There also was a freeware hex editor mentioned called HXD.
How accessible any of these are, I have no idea.
HTH,
Richard



“The secret is not to make your music louder, but to make the world quieter.” 

- Mitch Albom from The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto, page 1


On Feb 17, 2018, at 2:16 PM, paul lemm <paul.lemm@...> wrote:

Hi,

Although I don’t know any good hex editors, in fact for that matter I’m not sure I even know what one is lol. But as an alternative  solution , you could try converting the broken wav file to a different file format, which makes a new version of the sound and may fix the broken attributes too, , then you can just re convert the file back to WAV. There are plenty of online sites that will convert WAV to another format. I do a little programing to write audio games, , and every now and again I’ll come across a wav file that won’t play, in which case I just add the wav file to my music editor software , then export it back out as a WAV file, which is doing the same as I mentioned above , but just using the program I have, but that’s always worked in the past. I’ve put the link for two  websites below, one which converts files from WAV to mp3, and then another which converts mp3 files to WAV. Hopefully this fixes your issue, but if you have any problems, if it’s just one WAV file that’s broken if you can find a way of sending me the WAV file I can always try running it through my music  editing software and seeing if that fixes it for you. Anyways, the links are below

Convert to MP3

https://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp3

Convert to WAV

https://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-wav

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Annabelle Susan Morison
Sent: 17 February 2018 02:56
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Any good Hex Editors?

Hi, it's Annabelle.

I found something interesting on the Internet, about how to fix broken .wav files that won't open in any players. Someone named Scott Hanselman said something about using a binary file editor, specifically a Hex editor, to fix the headers. However, I'm not sure where I can find any good Hex editors that would work with JAWS. Anybody have any pointers? I've tried Notepad++, but all I get when I read the file line-by-line is a bunch of weird code.


Re: Disabling lenovo hotkeys and jaws

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>
 

Hi, Val. Who was having none of it, your brother, or did you think I didn't want you to use Microsoft Disability Services? The problem you're going to have is that Microsoft Disability Services cannot access your UEFI or BIOS. This requires going into the BIOS before Windows is loaded. Since it requires doing something before Windows is loaded, Microsoft will have no way to get into your BIOS, if that is what is required to change the behavior of your function keys.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Val Paul
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 9:22 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Disabling lenovo hotkeys and jaws

That's what i tried to tell him, but he was having none of it! Will try
that number.

Thanks.



On 17/02/2018 15:18, Richard Turner wrote:
I thought they had told me once that they support all English speaking countries, so give it a try.

Richard


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 7:16 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Disabling lenovo hotkeys and jaws

She lives in Scotland, so I don't think Microsoft Disability Services will work for her.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 7:12 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Disabling lenovo hotkeys and jaws

Hi,
Have you tried calling Microsoft Accessibility support?
In my brief research, it seems that your brand does use the bios to set this, but there might be an easier solution.
800-936-5900.

Richard


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Val Paul
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 6:56 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Disabling lenovo hotkeys and jaws

the problem is, that when i go back to using the key i thought i'd
disabled, i've got to use the Fn key every time.

This makes doing a task t? you have to go into the bio's, but he says
the option he gave me would do!

This can't be right, can itg] Fn, then F6 and that would disable the
key. eHi!

Hope someone will be able to give me some help with this!

My neighbour was in this afternoon trying to help me disable lenovo
hotkeys, and what he's told me to do is, press the Fn key and which one
i want disabled. [















Re: jfw and firefox acting very sluggish

Cristóbal
 

Quick Q. Is this V 52 the regular or ESR version?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jed Barton
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 2:55 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: jfw and firefox acting very sluggish

Hey guys.
Well, to update everyone i re-installed firefox, and wow, it seems to be a lot more responsive. Any ideas why it is all of a sudden working like it should?

On 2/16/18, Jed Barton <jedbarton@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Bill. Wow, thank you so much. I sincerely appreciate it. I'll
install in the morning and update you as i go along.

Cheers,
Jed

On 2/16/18, Bill White <billwhite92701@dslextreme.com> wrote:
Hi, Jed. Here is Firefox 52.0. I uploaded it to Sendspace for you and
for anyone else looking for an older, stable release of Firefox.

You've got a file called Firefox Setup 52.0.exe, (43.3 MB) waiting to
be downloaded at sendspace.com.

Description: Firefox 52.0, 32-bit US English

You can use the following link to retrieve your file:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/tdmalh

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jed
Barton
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2018 6:08 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: jfw and firefox acting very sluggish

Hey guys. Where can i download a stable version of firefox? I wanna
do a re-install, but wanna make sure i get the right 1. Any help
would be appreciated.

On 2/16/18, Richard Turner <richardturner42@outlook.com> wrote:
First, my other thread was wrong. I am running the 32 bit version.
I'm having no issues running the same version ESR 52.6.

This is Windows 10 home, 64 bit machine for what that is worth.
Jaws 2018.
Perhaps folks have some addons that are causing a problem?

Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Robert Logue
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2018 6:18 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: jfw and firefox acting very sluggish

Noticed this as well. I'm using Firefox 52.6.0 (32-bit) on a 64 bit
machine. Not sure why. I thought it was advised to use that version.


Many pages come up slowly and Jaws won't read anything in Firefox
till the page is loaded. Might be Java. Could be something else.


Bob




On 2018-02-14 5:37 PM, Jed Barton wrote:

Hey guys,

OK, yet another problem with jfw acting sluggish with yet no
explaination with firefix. I am running jaws 18. Lately i am
loading firefox, to google which is my home page, I'll alt tab
over to it and start tabbing around and it just literally says
nothing. It's almost like it has to focus on it, it seems to be a
lot slower. Anyone else seen something similar? It's pretty annoying to say the least.

Cheers,
Jed



















Re: Lenovo Hotkeys and jaws.

Val Paul
 

afraid not.

On 17/02/2018 21:18, Maria Campbell wrote:
Do you have any kind of vocational school or computer classes at a school near you that you could call and ask for a student to come and help you?


Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@gmail.com

"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis

On 2/17/2018 4:15 PM, Val Paul wrote:
Hi Maria!

That's what i was trying to do today, but could i get it into my neighbour's head

? No i could not! He just kept telling me to press the fn key every time i wanted to use a jaws key.


On 17/02/2018 21:10, Maria Campbell wrote:
That's too bad.  Unfortunately, I don't think the Microsoft disability line can/will help and the people at Lenovo don't even know what it means or why the necessity to turn off their function keys. Really, you will have to get a sighted person to turn off the keys within the bios.


Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@gmail.com

"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis

On 2/17/2018 4:07 PM, Val Paul wrote:
Sorry no go!


On 17/02/2018 21:02, Maria Campbell wrote:
Val, just for the hell of it, try pressing your escape key plus the function key on your pc. It might turn off the Lenovo keys and allow the JAWS keys to work.  Once you do this, to test it, press the insert plus the f12 key to see if it tells you the time.


Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@gmail.com

"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis

On 2/17/2018 3:56 PM, Val Paul wrote:
the office was closed, so had  to use the disability online chat.


On 17/02/2018 18:30, Richard Turner wrote:
Were you able to call them, or did you have to use the web chat or something?
Just curious.
I hope you can get this resolved.  What a pain.

Thanks,
Richard


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Val Paul
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 10:27 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Lenovo Hotkeys and jaws.

Hi All!

Have just been on to microsoft disability desk, but they couldn't really
help, suggesting that i contact Levono.

I'm going to do a search to see if they've got a support desk.



















Re: Any good Hex Editors?

Annabelle Susan Morison
 


I've tried importing the .wav file into an audio editor like Audacity as "Raw Data", but all I get is static noise, instead of the original audio.



From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 2:35 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Any good Hex Editors?


In some quick searching, both UltraEdit and NotePad++ are both mentioned as having hex editor plugins.
There also was a freeware hex editor mentioned called HXD.
How accessible any of these are, I have no idea.
HTH,
Richard



“The secret is not to make your music louder, but to make the world quieter.” 

- Mitch Albom from The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto, page 1


On Feb 17, 2018, at 2:16 PM, paul lemm <paul.lemm@...> wrote:

Hi,

Although I don’t know any good hex editors, in fact for that matter I’m not sure I even know what one is lol. But as an alternative  solution , you could try converting the broken wav file to a different file format, which makes a new version of the sound and may fix the broken attributes too, , then you can just re convert the file back to WAV. There are plenty of online sites that will convert WAV to another format. I do a little programing to write audio games, , and every now and again I’ll come across a wav file that won’t play, in which case I just add the wav file to my music editor software , then export it back out as a WAV file, which is doing the same as I mentioned above , but just using the program I have, but that’s always worked in the past. I’ve put the link for two  websites below, one which converts files from WAV to mp3, and then another which converts mp3 files to WAV. Hopefully this fixes your issue, but if you have any problems, if it’s just one WAV file that’s broken if you can find a way of sending me the WAV file I can always try running it through my music  editing software and seeing if that fixes it for you. Anyways, the links are below

Convert to MP3

https://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp3

Convert to WAV

https://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-wav

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Annabelle Susan Morison
Sent: 17 February 2018 02:56
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Any good Hex Editors?

Hi, it's Annabelle.

I found something interesting on the Internet, about how to fix broken .wav files that won't open in any players. Someone named Scott Hanselman said something about using a binary file editor, specifically a Hex editor, to fix the headers. However, I'm not sure where I can find any good Hex editors that would work with JAWS. Anybody have any pointers? I've tried Notepad++, but all I get when I read the file line-by-line is a bunch of weird code.


Re: Lenovo Hotkeys and jaws.

Maria Campbell
 

Uh huh.  I see.


Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis

On 2/17/2018 6:13 PM, Mike B. wrote:

Hi Maria,
 
It all depends on the tech support person you get.  You've had a totally opposite experience than I've had.
Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 1:42 PM
Subject: Re: Lenovo Hotkeys and jaws.

If those are numbers for Lenovo support to turn off function keys, I'm telling you they don't understand the need as to why this should be done and won't help to do it.  I know.  I went thru it.

Besides, how are they going to turn off the function keys thru the bios via remote control?


Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis

On 2/17/2018 4:35 PM, Mike B. wrote:
Hi Val,
 
Try either of the numbers below:
1-877-453-6686

1-855-271-3878
 
Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.
----- Original Message -----
From: Val Paul
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 10:27 AM
Subject: Lenovo Hotkeys and jaws.

Hi All!

Have just been on to microsoft disability desk, but they couldn't really
help, suggesting that i contact Levono.

I'm going to do a search to see if they've got a support desk.







Re: Lenovo Hotkeys and jaws.

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>
 


Hi Maria,
 
It all depends on the tech support person you get.  You've had a totally opposite experience than I've had.
Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 1:42 PM
Subject: Re: Lenovo Hotkeys and jaws.

If those are numbers for Lenovo support to turn off function keys, I'm telling you they don't understand the need as to why this should be done and won't help to do it.  I know.  I went thru it.

Besides, how are they going to turn off the function keys thru the bios via remote control?


Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis

On 2/17/2018 4:35 PM, Mike B. wrote:
Hi Val,
 
Try either of the numbers below:
1-877-453-6686

1-855-271-3878
 
Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.
----- Original Message -----
From: Val Paul
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 10:27 AM
Subject: Lenovo Hotkeys and jaws.

Hi All!

Have just been on to microsoft disability desk, but they couldn't really
help, suggesting that i contact Levono.

I'm going to do a search to see if they've got a support desk.