Date   

Paltalk scripts for JFW 18?

Ralf Kefferpuetz
 

Hi all,

 

are there any Paltalk scripts for Jaws 17 or Jaws 18? Couldn’t find any.

 

Ciao,

  Ralf


Re: Convenient OCR

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>
 

It stands for “Document Cloud”

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carol Smith via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 2:55 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Convenient OCR

 

Hmm, does that stand for "does cloud", grin.

Carol

On 5/27/2017 2:10 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

Adobe Reader DC is simply the latest version and has options for storing documents in the cloud, but this is not something you have to do, you can still use it as always simply to open and read PDF documents you have saved to your computer.

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carol Smith via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 4:15 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Convenient OCR

 

What is the difference between Adobe Reader and Adobe Reader DC  Thanks

Carol

On 5/26/2017 4:51 PM, Tom Behler wrote:

So is Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

 

Tom Behler

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene Stevens
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 4:50 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Convenient OCR

 

Adobe Reader is a free one that can be used.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 4:39 PM

Subject: Re: Convenient OCR

 

What should it open with?

My options are Windows Photo Viewer, Paint Microsoft Word and Office Picture Manager.

Some pdf files I have can open in Balabolka. 

Carol

On 5/26/2017 3:00 PM, Mike B. wrote:

Hi Carol,

 

1st, press enter to open the PDF file!  LOL 

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 11:29 AM

Subject: Convenient OCR

 

Hi,

I would like to read a pdf file with the Convenient OCR program. It is
not working.  I did it once on the first day I received my copy of Jaws.

Steps taken:
located the file in my user folder
pressed jaws key plus spacebar
pressed O and then D


I did the same thing again today.  When I get to the press of the d, I
get a sound and nothing happens.  Is it possible I a) either made a
mistake in what I did, or b) changed something in Jaws that won't allow
me to do this now?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

 

 

 


a strange miranda ng problem

Jed Barton
 

Hey guys,
Any of you running miranda ng with jfw 18? I installed it on a
computer and am having a very annoying problem. So i'll go up and
down my friends list, and pick someone i wanna message. It'll open up
their chat window. however, jaws will keep repeating their name.
Like for example, if my friend's name is Connor, it'll keep saying
connor, connor, connor, connor. Needless to say, this is super
annoying, and i have no idea why it's doing it. Any ideas guys?
Never seen this before.


Re: Jaws and "Combo Boxes"

Shirley Tracy
 

Thanks Gene,

I was wondering if it was really related to updated websites. I guess, I was hoping JAWS had come up with a new way to use these. I notice that combo boxes on sites like BARD and others are still easy to use.
Shirley Tracy
author
OPERATION CODE CHARLIE
now available at major book sellers

---- Gene Stevens <guy.stevens@att.net> wrote:

=============
Your issue isn't with the OS, it's with the website design.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shirley Tracy" <stracy5@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 3:29 PM
Subject: Re: Jaws and "Combo Boxes"


Yes, you are correct that down arrow opens them and up arrow closes
them--but sometimes the reverse works. I can't always key in the first
letter--and you have to do it quickly on mine--because sometimes there are 2
or 3 choices that begin with the same letter, and it quickly picks the first
one in the list before I can hit it again. And I find myself sometimes
needing to read through the options in the box. Sometimes it works well and
sometimes not.

I used to use my computer much easier than it seems to be now. Wish I could
go back to XP--but then I couldn't do all I want to do, especially online


Shirley Tracy
author
OPERATION CODE CHARLIE
now available at major book sellers

---- Bill White <billwhite92701@dslextreme.com> wrote:

=============
I believe you have it reversed. It's ALT plus Down Arrow to open, ALT plus
Up Arrow to close.

I often use Space on the combo box to open, then use first letter
navigation.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard
Weitzel
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 11:18 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws and "Combo Boxes"

What keystroke do you use to open combo boxes? For the most part the correct
keystroke is Alt+Up Arrow to open and Alt+Down arrow to close, sometimes
enter works to open and close a combo box and sometimes you can just start
arrowing up or down or use first letter navigation.


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shirley
Tracy
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 9:28 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Jaws and "Combo Boxes"

Are any of you having issues with “combo boxes?” They used to work fine, but
in recent months they have been giving me trouble. Some still work fine;
others work now and then, but I have to struggle with them I don’t know if
it’s the fault of JAWS or updated websites. The two most important sites
where I depend on them are my bank, for transferring funds, and my Spectrum
mail server (tampabay.rr.com), where I transfer messages from my inbox to
various folders. For example, I have 3 folders that begin with the same
letter, and guess what happens? Yep, it always goes to the wrong one. I’m
getting frustrated and wonder if there’s a better way of working around this
annoyance. Any thoughts?


Re: A Jaws tandem question

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>
 

No, no less expensive. Just less bulky to download, in memory, and you have gthe advantage of not having something which needs the Internet to connect.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carolyn Arnold" <4carolyna@windstream.net>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 3:14 PM
Subject: Re: A Jaws tandem question


I wondered why there was an option and what would be the
advantage of non-tandem. Is it less expensive?

Bye for now,

Carolyn


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 11:19 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: A Jaws tandem question

I think they have the Tandem and non-Tandem versions for two
reasons:

1. the Non-Tandem version is a slightly smaller program to
download.

2. The Non-Tandem takes slightly less memory on computers
which have less RAM.



Bill White

Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com



From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On
Behalf Of James Bentley
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 5:56 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: A Jaws tandem question



Hi all,



I need to download the latest version of Jaws 17. I see
that there are 2 versions. The tandem and the nontandem
versions. The tandem version allows for tandem sessions
while the nontandem does not.



OK, my question. What possible advantage could there be to
downloading the nontandem version?



Many thanks,



James B





**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a
bad example.








__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of detection engine 15487 (20170527) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com



__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of detection engine 15487 (20170527) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com


Re: JAWS & the % of download?

David & his pack of dogs
 

I will try your suggestions.  Using insert t only reads the title bar, though. I tried that before and all I got was where I was downloading it from.  Probably need to set it up propperly first.   

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 10:56 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS & the % of download?

 

Hi David,

 

Yes, there is a setting, but it takes a little more than just this setting.  1st press, Insert / Jaws key + 6, on the number row to open the Settings Center, then press, control, shift, + D, to open Settings Center default all applications.

2. Arrow down to, User, right arrow to open.

3. Arrow down to, Progress Updates Announcement, & press the spacebar to toggle through your options.  If you want an explanation of this, tab 1 time to Read only, & this is what you'll get.

Programs often use progress bars to show the status of a process, such as an installation. Select an interval in this list to determine how often JAWS announces the state of progress bars during a process. Select "Announce All" if you want JAWS to read progress bars as changes occur. Select "Off" if you do not want to hear progress bar information. The default is to announce progress bar updates at 5 second Intervals.

4. If you make any changes tab to, Okay, & press enter to save & close.

 

Now, these keystrokes are for IE11 when downloading:

After starting the download press, control + J.  Now, press any of these keystroke combinations to get the percentage / status of the download:

Insert + Tab.

Insert + B.

Insert + T.

 

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 6:12 PM

Subject: JAWS & the % of download?

 

When downloading a file is it possible for JAWS to tell you the percentage of the download?  Or, is it browser driven.  Google does not tell you how much has been downloaded, it tells you nothing till you try to close it.  The same is true for Firefox.  However, Google is the worst of the 2. Both just tell you a file is being downloaded, “Are you sure you want to exit?” So, since I am new to JAWS, I want to know if there is a setting that will tell me the completion percentage of the file being downloaded.    


Re: A Jaws tandem question

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>
 

That makes my husband really nervous too, but I'm not all
that good, and so appreciate the help I get with tandem.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Alan Robbins
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 12:04 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: A Jaws tandem question

I am always very hesitant to have someone else poking around
in my machine and making changes. I prefer them to talk me
through it and then I make the changes and know what was
changed. If I do feel I'm in over my head and have someone
else make changes, I am always very sure that I have a
current image back up should I need it.
There has been times that I have had Microsoft accessibility
tinker around with my wife's machine and I simply had to
restore the image because the fix created many other issues
that were not present prior to it.
This is not to cast a negative aspersions on Microsoft
accessibility or any other tech savvy person on the list.
This is only passing on my experiences and I feel when you
have other people make changes to your machine if you are
not learning what the problem was and therefore can't have
no way to fix it in the future.

On May 27, 2017, at 11:30 AM, Carolyn Arnold
<4carolyna@windstream.net> wrote:

The advantage to Tandem is that someone can help you with
your program
like VFO or Microsoft Disability, even good and savvy
people from the
list in some cases.

Bye for now,

Carolyn


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On
Behalf Of
James Bentley
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 8:56 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: A Jaws tandem question

Hi all,

I need to download the latest version of Jaws 17. I see
that there
are 2 versions. The tandem and the nontandem versions.
The tandem
version allows for tandem sessions while the nontandem
does not.

OK, my question. What possible advantage could there be
to
downloading the nontandem version?

Many thanks,

James B


**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as
a bad
example.





Re: A Jaws tandem question

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>
 

I wondered why there was an option and what would be the
advantage of non-tandem. Is it less expensive?

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 11:19 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: A Jaws tandem question

I think they have the Tandem and non-Tandem versions for two
reasons:

1. the Non-Tandem version is a slightly smaller program to
download.

2. The Non-Tandem takes slightly less memory on computers
which have less RAM.



Bill White

Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com



From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On
Behalf Of James Bentley
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 5:56 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: A Jaws tandem question



Hi all,



I need to download the latest version of Jaws 17. I see
that there are 2 versions. The tandem and the nontandem
versions. The tandem version allows for tandem sessions
while the nontandem does not.



OK, my question. What possible advantage could there be to
downloading the nontandem version?



Many thanks,



James B





**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a
bad example.


Re: Convenient OCR

Carol Smith
 

Hmm, does that stand for "does cloud", grin.

Carol


On 5/27/2017 2:10 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

Adobe Reader DC is simply the latest version and has options for storing documents in the cloud, but this is not something you have to do, you can still use it as always simply to open and read PDF documents you have saved to your computer.

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carol Smith via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 4:15 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Convenient OCR

 

What is the difference between Adobe Reader and Adobe Reader DC  Thanks

Carol


On 5/26/2017 4:51 PM, Tom Behler wrote:

So is Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

 

Tom Behler

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene Stevens
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 4:50 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Convenient OCR

 

Adobe Reader is a free one that can be used.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 4:39 PM

Subject: Re: Convenient OCR

 

What should it open with?

My options are Windows Photo Viewer, Paint Microsoft Word and Office Picture Manager.

Some pdf files I have can open in Balabolka. 

Carol

On 5/26/2017 3:00 PM, Mike B. wrote:

Hi Carol,

 

1st, press enter to open the PDF file!  LOL 

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 11:29 AM

Subject: Convenient OCR

 

Hi,

I would like to read a pdf file with the Convenient OCR program. It is
not working.  I did it once on the first day I received my copy of Jaws.

Steps taken:
located the file in my user folder
pressed jaws key plus spacebar
pressed O and then D


I did the same thing again today.  When I get to the press of the d, I
get a sound and nothing happens.  Is it possible I a) either made a
mistake in what I did, or b) changed something in Jaws that won't allow
me to do this now?

Thanks for the help.

Carol


 

 



Re: Managing Key Labels in JAWS

Carol Smith
 

If you were saying it is difficult to find Jaws options, actually, that one is easy. insert-j and you are placed on options.

I am only working on really easy questions today, grin.

Carol

On 5/27/2017 12:23 PM, netbat66 wrote:
if you open the jaws screen and press f1 you will get all the books of instructions for all your questions.
you press enter on a book you want to read then press f6 to switch to the reading pane to read them.
***
the hardest thing is trying to find the options. grin
you can use the search box and type in keyboard labels.
this should show the key label menu options.
once there all you have to do is arrow down the list of keys and press the space bar on the ones you want silenced. they will change from speak to muted. some you can not change though. like the shift,alt and control keys.
once you mute all of them tab to apply to save your settings then ok to close the list.
-----Original Message----- From: Stanley Haupt
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 8:12 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Managing Key Labels in JAWS



Where can I find more information on managing key labels in JAWS? I did listen to Main Menu last evening and I also heard the FS-cast from Jonathan. I think that I need step by step guidance to learn this feature.



I want to turn off tab, return and the function keys 1-12.








Re: jaws verbosity

Don H
 

Thanks that fixed it.

On 5/27/2017 3:08 PM, Marten Post Uiterweer wrote:
Don,
You can turn of tutor messages.
Go to the jaws menu [ins-j]. To
options, basic settings. Here you can change the setting for tutor
messages.
Marten
On Sat, 27 May 2017 14:55:06 -0500 "Don H" <lmddh50@comcast.net> wrote:

OK how do I get Jaws to stop giving me little hints as how to do something? For example if I tab to the start button it says Start Button Press enter to activate. I already have verbosity set to advanced.
Thanks


Re: JAWS & the % of download?

HH. Smith Jr.
 

Hi again,

 

I’m not a user of Firefox; however, the control+J does work for Google and I E.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of HH. Smith Jr.
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 4:44 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS & the % of download?

 

Press Control+J

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of David & his pack of dogs
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 9:13 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: JAWS & the % of download?

 

When downloading a file is it possible for JAWS to tell you the percentage of the download?  Or, is it browser driven.  Google does not tell you how much has been downloaded, it tells you nothing till you try to close it.  The same is true for Firefox.  However, Google is the worst of the 2. Both just tell you a file is being downloaded, “Are you sure you want to exit?” So, since I am new to JAWS, I want to know if there is a setting that will tell me the completion percentage of the file being downloaded.    


Re: JAWS & the % of download?

HH. Smith Jr.
 

Press Control+J

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of David & his pack of dogs
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 9:13 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: JAWS & the % of download?

 

When downloading a file is it possible for JAWS to tell you the percentage of the download?  Or, is it browser driven.  Google does not tell you how much has been downloaded, it tells you nothing till you try to close it.  The same is true for Firefox.  However, Google is the worst of the 2. Both just tell you a file is being downloaded, “Are you sure you want to exit?” So, since I am new to JAWS, I want to know if there is a setting that will tell me the completion percentage of the file being downloaded.    


Re: jaws verbosity

Marten Post Uiterweer
 

Don,

You can turn of tutor messages.
Go to the jaws menu [ins-j]. To
options, basic settings. Here you can change the setting for tutor
messages.

Marten

On Sat, 27 May 2017 14:55:06 -0500 "Don H" <lmddh50@comcast.net> wrote:

OK how do I get Jaws to stop giving me little hints as how to do something? For example if I tab to the start button it says Start Button Press enter to activate. I already have verbosity set to advanced.
Thanks


Re: Jaws and "Combo Boxes"

Gudrun Brunot
 

I have trouble with them almost all the time, for example, on a website for clothing, the "select size" combo box won't stay open, or the select color...



Gudrun

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shirley Tracy
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 12:20 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws and "Combo Boxes"

Thanks to those of you who responded. Maria, now I don't feel all alone.

To clarify: I use alt plus up arrow; when that doesn't work, I use alt plus down arrow (you never know). If that doesn't work, I just treat it as a link and it often opens. But my trouble isn't with opening it--my problem is keeping it open. It's frustrating if I don't press a letter quickly enough to select one of the options in the box. If I want to arrow down to read the choices, I'm out of luck. It selects the first choice, before I can do anything. And then it closes and my choice is made--even if I didn't want that one.

Shirley Tracy
author
OPERATION CODE CHARLIE
now available at major book sellers

---- Maria Campbell <lucky1inct@gmail.com> wrote:

=============
I find a problem with combo boxes lately as well.


lucky1inct@gmail.com
Faithfulness does not begin with large tasks-if it is not present in small things, it does not exist at all.

On 5/27/2017 2:18 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
What keystroke do you use to open combo boxes? For the most part the correct keystroke is Alt+Up Arrow to open and Alt+Down arrow to close, sometimes enter works to open and close a combo box and sometimes you can just start arrowing up or down or use first letter navigation.


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Shirley Tracy
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 9:28 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Jaws and "Combo Boxes"

Are any of you having issues with “combo boxes?” They used to work fine, but in recent months they have been giving me trouble. Some still work fine; others work now and then, but I have to struggle with them. I don’t know if it’s the fault of JAWS or updated websites. The two most important sites where I depend on them are my bank, for transferring funds, and my Spectrum mail server (tampabay.rr.com), where I transfer messages from my inbox to various folders. For example, I have 3 folders that begin with the same letter, and guess what happens? Yep, it always goes to the wrong one. I’m getting frustrated and wonder if there’s a better way of working around this annoyance. Any thoughts?









jaws verbosity

Don H
 

OK how do I get Jaws to stop giving me little hints as how to do something? For example if I tab to the start button it says Start Button Press enter to activate. I already have verbosity set to advanced.
Thanks


Re: Jaws and "Combo Boxes"

Gene Stevens
 

Your issue isn't with the OS, it's with the website design.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shirley Tracy" <stracy5@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 3:29 PM
Subject: Re: Jaws and "Combo Boxes"


Yes, you are correct that down arrow opens them and up arrow closes them--but sometimes the reverse works. I can't always key in the first letter--and you have to do it quickly on mine--because sometimes there are 2 or 3 choices that begin with the same letter, and it quickly picks the first one in the list before I can hit it again. And I find myself sometimes needing to read through the options in the box. Sometimes it works well and sometimes not.

I used to use my computer much easier than it seems to be now. Wish I could go back to XP--but then I couldn't do all I want to do, especially online


Shirley Tracy
author
OPERATION CODE CHARLIE
now available at major book sellers

---- Bill White <billwhite92701@dslextreme.com> wrote:

=============
I believe you have it reversed. It's ALT plus Down Arrow to open, ALT plus Up Arrow to close.

I often use Space on the combo box to open, then use first letter navigation.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 11:18 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws and "Combo Boxes"

What keystroke do you use to open combo boxes? For the most part the correct keystroke is Alt+Up Arrow to open and Alt+Down arrow to close, sometimes enter works to open and close a combo box and sometimes you can just start arrowing up or down or use first letter navigation.


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shirley Tracy
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 9:28 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Jaws and "Combo Boxes"

Are any of you having issues with “combo boxes?” They used to work fine, but in recent months they have been giving me trouble. Some still work fine; others work now and then, but I have to struggle with them I don’t know if it’s the fault of JAWS or updated websites. The two most important sites where I depend on them are my bank, for transferring funds, and my Spectrum mail server (tampabay.rr.com), where I transfer messages from my inbox to various folders. For example, I have 3 folders that begin with the same letter, and guess what happens? Yep, it always goes to the wrong one. I’m getting frustrated and wonder if there’s a better way of working around this annoyance. Any thoughts?


Re: Jaws and "Combo Boxes"

Shirley Tracy
 

Yes, you are correct that down arrow opens them and up arrow closes them--but sometimes the reverse works. I can't always key in the first letter--and you have to do it quickly on mine--because sometimes there are 2 or 3 choices that begin with the same letter, and it quickly picks the first one in the list before I can hit it again. And I find myself sometimes needing to read through the options in the box. Sometimes it works well and sometimes not.

I used to use my computer much easier than it seems to be now. Wish I could go back to XP--but then I couldn't do all I want to do, especially online.


Shirley Tracy
author
OPERATION CODE CHARLIE
now available at major book sellers

---- Bill White <billwhite92701@dslextreme.com> wrote:

=============
I believe you have it reversed. It's ALT plus Down Arrow to open, ALT plus Up Arrow to close.

I often use Space on the combo box to open, then use first letter navigation.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 11:18 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws and "Combo Boxes"

What keystroke do you use to open combo boxes? For the most part the correct keystroke is Alt+Up Arrow to open and Alt+Down arrow to close, sometimes enter works to open and close a combo box and sometimes you can just start arrowing up or down or use first letter navigation.


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shirley Tracy
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 9:28 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Jaws and "Combo Boxes"

Are any of you having issues with “combo boxes?” They used to work fine, but in recent months they have been giving me trouble. Some still work fine; others work now and then, but I have to struggle with them. I don’t know if it’s the fault of JAWS or updated websites. The two most important sites where I depend on them are my bank, for transferring funds, and my Spectrum mail server (tampabay.rr.com), where I transfer messages from my inbox to various folders. For example, I have 3 folders that begin with the same letter, and guess what happens? Yep, it always goes to the wrong one. I’m getting frustrated and wonder if there’s a better way of working around this annoyance. Any thoughts?


Re: Jaws and "Combo Boxes"

Shirley Tracy
 

Thanks to those of you who responded. Maria, now I don't feel all alone.

To clarify: I use alt plus up arrow; when that doesn't work, I use alt plus down arrow (you never know). If that doesn't work, I just treat it as a link and it often opens. But my trouble isn't with opening it--my problem is keeping it open. It's frustrating if I don't press a letter quickly enough to select one of the options in the box. If I want to arrow down to read the choices, I'm out of luck. It selects the first choice, before I can do anything. And then it closes and my choice is made--even if I didn't want that one.

Shirley Tracy
author
OPERATION CODE CHARLIE
now available at major book sellers

---- Maria Campbell <lucky1inct@gmail.com> wrote:

=============
I find a problem with combo boxes lately as well.


lucky1inct@gmail.com
Faithfulness does not begin with large tasks-if it is not present in small things, it does not exist at all.

On 5/27/2017 2:18 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
What keystroke do you use to open combo boxes? For the most part the correct keystroke is Alt+Up Arrow to open and Alt+Down arrow to close, sometimes enter works to open and close a combo box and sometimes you can just start arrowing up or down or use first letter navigation.


-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shirley Tracy
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 9:28 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Jaws and "Combo Boxes"

Are any of you having issues with “combo boxes?” They used to work fine, but in recent months they have been giving me trouble. Some still work fine; others work now and then, but I have to struggle with them. I don’t know if it’s the fault of JAWS or updated websites. The two most important sites where I depend on them are my bank, for transferring funds, and my Spectrum mail server (tampabay.rr.com), where I transfer messages from my inbox to various folders. For example, I have 3 folders that begin with the same letter, and guess what happens? Yep, it always goes to the wrong one. I’m getting frustrated and wonder if there’s a better way of working around this annoyance. Any thoughts?









Re: What FTP program is accessible?

HH. Smith Jr.
 

Hi,

 

I use IDM. It does a fairly well enough job after you get the hang of it.

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard B. McDonald
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 11:57 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: What FTP program is accessible?

 

Hi!

 

I need an accessible FTP program.  My first choice would be FileZilla.  Is it accessible?  If not, could you please suggest another?

 

Thanks,

Richard